As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hope, happiness and FFFFFFFFF

• rizriz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oats wrote: »
    Jealous: Riz, why is it every post about your guild makes me want to transfer over to it?

Haha what.

Happiness: Puppy Men vs Big tongues is so much better than Aldor Scryer.

Stupid puppy-men!

Have you ever had the Frenzyheart NPC and one of the Oracles NPCs with you at the same time? I was further along in the chain than my boyfriend was for awhile, so we had opposite ones following us around for a bit, and they actually have different scripted sayings when they see each other. It's awesome.

riz on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hate: Sign ups for naxx 10 on our guild has a smattering of "I should be 80 by then" and "Just hit 80 today! ill be there tomorrow!"

What the fuck guys. You JUST hit 80 and you want raid gear? While I've been busting my ass doing 5 heroics a day to get the tanking gear to do it? Sometimes I just want to scream because I HAVE to make an effort to gear and these guys just ride on my coattails.

But theyre all cool people its just... I dont think they realize how stupid their being.

I don't know what your gear was like pre-Wrath but my guild had a similar situation. 3 or 4 hit 80 pretty early, then like 10 others hit 80 a few days later pretty close to each other. Even though most just dinged 80, Naxx didn't seem to be that bad. We were doing Hyjal/BT before Wrath hit, so that maybe a difference. I don't know.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited December 2008
    Sure Naxx is doable by fresh 80s for most classes. But I think what he's saying is, as a tank he's had to make a serious effort to gear himself up, and others don't seem to understand/care about that enough to try to do the same or recognize that there's a disparity.

riz on
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    i'm finding it pretty annoying that blizzard didn't really homogenize gear properly

healers still want spirit and mp5 where dps casters want crit, so what was the point of the spell power change anyway?

mail and leather pieces are obviously tailored for certain classes and shit is so far from interchangable it's silly

it's like one guy at blizzard was all "yo we should let casters use caster shit, and melee use melee shit so gear doesn't go to waste" and then a loud vocal part of the dev team were all FUCK THAT GUY I HATE HIM FUCK THIS and then put haste on mail and spirit on weapons and fffffffff

grumble grumble

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    *fears he's going to start another round of "Naxx isn't hard enough, rawr look at the size of my epeen" shenanigans*

Naxx isn't really tuned like we're used to. MC (especially before tanks picked up on the omgsekrithax that was Defense), Kara/Gruul/Mags 1.0, etc, we're pretty well accustomed to "introductory" raid content being an exercise in frustration and glass chewing.

Along with operation "10 mans for everyone" from Blizzard, they finally decided to make introductory content... well, introductory. You don't take a conversational course in a new language when you can barely count to 3, and for once we have starter content that lets people gear up, test out specs and group compositions, and train new members (particularly tanks and healers) without unnecessary glass chewing for everyone.

Heroics and T7 raid content are not hard. Not excessively hard, if my experience and 'word on the street' are any indication.

They are tuned for people in rares. You don't need to be in the finest of crafted and heroic epix to make progress in Naxx. You just need time and communication.

There is something there for the hardcores. No, it's not a ton, but they have access to the content first, vast swathes of gear from all the badges that are dropping in their instance clears, and instead of having to commit 5 or more nights a week to raiding, if your crew is good and fast, you can be done in a night or two. How much "glass chewing" you do is up to you; want to try for 3 drake Sartharion? 8 / 20 man Naxx? Hardcore achievements for titles and bragging rights? DOOOOO EEEEET!

But this time around, more casual guilds can hit these same places without needing the best of the best to get anywhere. You can take 10 people who are okay/good and clear out a wing in an hour or two. You can make progress on people's gear and experience without dreading the raid.

Despite what some people may bemoan as a detriment to the game, I feel this is a very strong and positive step for Blizzard. They have given the hardcore player their races for achievements, titles, mounts and top notch gear; everyone else can play along, and see success without facing content tuned to the best of the best.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I thought the spell power change was to allow casters to somewhat dps without a complete gear change and to make solo PvE a little easier.

khain on
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    khain wrote: »
    I thought the spell power change was to allow casters to somewhat dps without a complete gear change and to make solo PvE a little easier.

they did that already, though, with the whole 30ish% of healing adds to spell damage

i remember having about 1000 SD on my paladin when i had around 1900 healing, which seemed pretty reasonable!

i don't know

seeing a staff with spirit drop from every 5 man boss maybe annoys me a little bit

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't think Blizzard wanted to completely homogenize gear, but just allow more overlap. You won't always get perfect itemization, and sometimes you'll just have to make do, but it's better than gear that you can't really use at all. (Actually, even before the spell power change, the trash drop healer haste ring in BT was better than my rings, and it dropped unlike the caster version.)

After all, ignore crit, a priest can still use that for healing. They can't use hit at all. And I can't see how Blizzard would want to change that.

Also, spirit is on everything because Blizzard is spirit happy.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Little Jim wrote: »

they did that already, though, with the whole 30ish% of healing adds to spell damage

Yeah, I'd much rather have 300 spell damage than 1000 spell damage...

And crit isn't useless for healers. Both Paladins and Shaman benefit a great deal from it. What bothers me the most that Blizzard made spirit this awesome stat for casters and healers, except for Paladins and Shaman who benefit jackshit from spirit.

reVerse on
  • LineNoizLineNoiz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    reVerse wrote: »
    Little Jim wrote: »

Yeah, I'd much rather have 300 spell damage than 1000 spell damage...

And crit isn't useless for healers. Both Paladins and Shaman benefit a great deal from it. What bothers me the most that Blizzard made spirit this awesome stat for casters and healers, except for Paladins and Shaman who benefit jackshit from spirit.
    Disc priest doesn't get much of anything from spirit either. A disc priest spends almost no time not casting and therefore get very little benefit from spirit.

LineNoiz on
    edited December 2008
    End wrote: »
    I don't think Blizzard wanted to completely homogenize gear, but just allow more overlap. You won't always get perfect itemization, and sometimes you'll just have to make do, but it's better than gear that you can't really use at all. (Actually, even before the spell power change, the trash drop healer haste ring in BT was better than my rings, and it dropped unlike the caster version.)

After all, ignore crit, a priest can still use that for healing. They can't use hit at all. And I can't see how Blizzard would want to change that.

Also, spirit is on everything because Blizzard is spirit happy.

Yeah, this right here. I steal.. I mean.. roll on crit items all the damn time. Suck it, mages!

But that is the thing. There's more of a sense that more stats are useful now, at least it seems that way to me. Spirit isn't as desirable to a mage or a warlock but if they're wearing a blue and a piece with spellpower, crit, and spirit drops, their talents still make SOME use of that spirit, so it's an all-around upgrade. Hit is pretty much the only thing that's just for one role. Even mp5, no one really wants it, it adds some mana to a healer or a caster DPS. Blizzard has pretty much said that they intend for some items to have less desirable stats.

Also fuck I can't type right today. *diligently fixes most of the typos in there*

Edit: And yeah the "spirit does nothing for you but we're putting it on everything oh well" thing re: shamans and paladins was partly why I ended up playing my priest instead of my shaman at 80.

riz on
    edited December 2008
    Re: Stats:

Dear Blizzard,

Your item design team is in love with Haste and Expertise. I get it. Please stop putting that shit (especially the latter) all over EVERY fucking leather/roguishly inclined item in the game. I'm already nearly at the 'hard cap' for it. Hell, any combat spec rogue can be with just 2 or 3 items. We don't need that much. Please stop.

Love Forar

Forar on
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Forar wrote: »

Dear Blizzard,

Your item design team is in love with Haste and Expertise. I get it. Please stop putting that shit (especially the latter) all over EVERY fucking leather/roguishly inclined item in the game. I'm already nearly at the 'hard cap' for it. Hell, any combat spec rogue can be with just 2 or 3 items. We don't need that much. Please stop.

Love Forar

PS. I know you think Armor Penetration is the Bee's Knees, but it actually sucks. Horribly. Please stop placing it on every damn piece of mail gear out there, and instead properly give me hit/crit/exp like i need.

Signed,
    Enh Shams.

Bullhead on
    96058.png?1619393207
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    my resto shaman has like a 27% chance to crit and I neeeeed moooooore

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    P.P.S.

thanks for the spirit! keep it coming!

-holy priests

(stick it to the mages.)

dojango on
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Dear Blizzard,

Love Forar

Not familiar with rogue specs, but are there points spent in expertise talents that could be reallocated elsewhere to tkae ardvantage of the stat's abundance on gear?

UnbrokenEva on
  • Wombat02Wombat02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't like how on cloth gear the decision is pretty much (haste or crit) as far as the normal instance drops go.

Wombat02 on
    edited December 2008
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Not familiar with rogue specs, but are there points spent in expertise talents that could be reallocated elsewhere to tkae ardvantage of the stat's abundance on gear?

Going strictly by memory, not really. 10 expertise (not rating, full on Expertise) for 2 talent points is also an INCREDIBLE investment in terms of expenditure vs gains. The problem is that rogues pick it up primarily to reduce the mobs chance to dodge (players can't dodge attacks from behind, mobs can), and that has a hard cap around 6.25/6.5%. Expertise beyond that is literally worthless 99% of the time. There aren't a whole lot of dps granting talents lower in the combat tree that we're not already picking up that you could shuffle the points into anyway, and none I can think of that give the same kind of returns as the expertise talent does.

In my case, I've been picking up several rare upgrades to pre-TBC raid epics that are questionable "upgrades" due to putting me well over the expertise cap. I hope to alleviate this somewhat by replacing one "omg expertise rare" (gloves) with the no expertise T7 gloves from the badge vendor tonight, and then swapping my "omg no expertise" T6 chest for some rare chest I picked up that has boatloads of Expertise on it.

As a rogue, I can have in my bags 3 or 4 "upgrades", but all of them have exptertise in vast quantities, so I'd suffer from harsh diminishing returns where wearing more than one is less effective than just wearing one and keeping old gear in its place.

That said, it's well documented that the RNG and I have a very rocky relationship. Sometimes it's all *bam* why isn't my dinner made yet? Here, have some more mainhand warglaives to cry about! And then later it's all "baby, I don't mean to make you cry, here have a Baron's Mount".

What I'm getting at is that the RNG abuses me and I need an adult.

Forar on
  • ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    FFFFFFFFFFF: Why is it so hard to find competent tanks? I mean, they're plentiful here on Argent Dawn with all the DK's, but it seems most DK's have the "I want to be a rogue in plate!" stupid virus, and I've still been seeing that in warriors, too. Shit, my full Blood specced DK focuses on Tanking, despite the fact I prefer my main to remain my Mage for DPS, and well, when I level, I like to be able to help the "Why are there no tanks?" situation, and I will admit that Tanking is a tricky business. Some of these people really have no idea. I mean, if your going to tank in Northrend, you have to really practice and be ready to do it, and playing a tank is really not for everyone. (and good lord, I pretty much prefer playing my Mage.) Basically, if you are a plate wearer, and you are not a Paladin, please, reguardless of your spec, come prepared to do it. I really don't like seeing warriors come to an instance wearing DPS Mail, or a DK in DPS gear with not very much Stamina/Armor/Agility or +parry.

That's idiotic. You want all plate dps to wear suboptimal gear for their spec, just in case the actual tank can't do their job?

Now, I try to keep a tanking set in my bags, but that's not the same as wearing gear with wasted stat allocation the whole run.
    No, I'd jsut appreciate it if there weren't warriors or DKs running around in Mail, or worse, Leather. I've seen it happen.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Wombat02Wombat02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    FFFFFFFFFFF: Why is it so hard to find competent tanks? I mean, they're plentiful here on Argent Dawn with all the DK's, but it seems most DK's have the "I want to be a rogue in plate!" stupid virus, and I've still been seeing that in warriors, too. Shit, my full Blood specced DK focuses on Tanking, despite the fact I prefer my main to remain my Mage for DPS, and well, when I level, I like to be able to help the "Why are there no tanks?" situation, and I will admit that Tanking is a tricky business. Some of these people really have no idea. I mean, if your going to tank in Northrend, you have to really practice and be ready to do it, and playing a tank is really not for everyone. (and good lord, I pretty much prefer playing my Mage.) Basically, if you are a plate wearer, and you are not a Paladin, please, reguardless of your spec, come prepared to do it. I really don't like seeing warriors come to an instance wearing DPS Mail, or a DK in DPS gear with not very much Stamina/Armor/Agility or +parry.

That's idiotic. You want all plate dps to wear suboptimal gear for their spec, just in case the actual tank can't do their job?

Now, I try to keep a tanking set in my bags, but that's not the same as wearing gear with wasted stat allocation the whole run.
    No, I'd jsut appreciate it if there weren't warriors or DKs running around in Mail, or worse, Leather. I've seen it happen.

If they are not tanking just pretend they are rogues. Problem solved. Also in my experience tanks are plentiful in WotLK.

Wombat02 on
    edited December 2008

Armour only matters if you're being hit.

If they're being hit, either they have done something dumb, or the tank has done something dumb.

A couple hundred armour won't save you from being or grouping with dumb people.

Forar on
    edited December 2008
    You say that but our ret paladin gets a lot of joy out of surviving whirlwinds that make the other melee DPS go splat. This is not to say he didn't wear leather through most of BC (our only blood elf in a Cursed Vision and it was sexy) but he would love to be able to wear plate and have it be best in slot for his spec.

riz on
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    riz wrote: »
    You say that but our ret paladin gets a lot of joy out of surviving whirlwinds that make the other melee DPS go splat. This is not to say he didn't wear leather through most of BC but he would love to be able to wear plate and have it be best in slot for his spec.

You mean like accidentally? Or they strain your healers to feel cool for wearing plate?

That aside DPS always has and always will drop down armor tiers for better DPS stats. That's only logical. There's no reason to care about armor if you're not getting hit. However plate DPS classes should have a tank bag with them just in case.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
    edited December 2008
    While the improved armour helps, I believe paladins (even untalented) have a higher HP pool than rogues, so of course it's handy, but they have a higher chance of surviving anyway.

Also, they shouldn't be getting hit by it in the first place.

Though I admit, there seem to be several heroic WW'ing bosses with absurdly huge WW radiuses... radius's... radii.

Forar on
    edited December 2008
    I can appreciate that, but It's less of an issue, say if it's something like Mail and the upgrade in AP or whatever is worth losing the armor. but when they ninja Leather from Rogues and Druids? then I start to call shenanigans. especially if the Druid is after Feral Leather, and want to gear up to Beartank or whatever. I don't know if that Leather would help a non-druid tank, but.....

Clawshrimpy on
    edited December 2008
    No argument there.

My paladin (as a healer) wore everything from Cloth to Plate. I gave preference to plate (for the rare time that it did matter, as well as for pvp gear), and would very rarely bid or roll on cloth/leather/mail against a heal-spec priest, druid or shaman, but when it was available, I wore it all the same. I'm the same across all my classes for healing or dps; wear what is best and available without screwing over lower armour tier characters, and work your way up the AC ranks as available.

Forar on
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Then it usually comes down to a best in slot situation. If a leather shoulder piece is flat out the best melee DPS shoulder piece in the game it becomes fair grabs. But if there's an equal or better plate one then generally people wouldn't let you take it.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
    edited December 2008
    Well, fury warriors do get AP from how much armor they have now

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If they're going after leather that isn't actually best (or close) in slot when there are rogues and druids present, that's another issue. Our 10-man on the other hand has had a leather wearer on hand for about ... 5 boss kills maybe? We're 3 DKs, 4 pallies, warlock, 2 warriors, 2 resto shaman until others get leveled/geared, with one rogue and one boomkin occassionally on. I would love it if any of the leather or mail that dropped was actually good dps gear for a DK or Ret pally.

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
    edited December 2008
    No argument there.

My paladin (as a healer) wore everything from Cloth to Plate. I gave preference to plate (for the rare time that it did matter, as well as for pvp gear), and would very rarely bid or roll on cloth/leather/mail against a heal-spec priest, druid or shaman, but when it was available, I wore it all the same. I'm the same across all my classes for healing or dps; wear what is best and available without screwing over lower armour tier characters, and work your way up the AC ranks as available.
    Well the healing thing is pretty understandable (Do Paladins still outheal Priests?) and well, another quirky question is, Does say, Druid Leather geared for Feral/Beartank really help out other types of Tanks a whole lot? I remember there being a debate/drama over this in Dragonblight General today.

Clawshrimpy on
    edited December 2008

I really don't see much of a problem with that except for a matter of loot scarcity. If a leather drop is better for a blood DK for dps, why not pick it up? There is a reason why warriors can wear other armor besides plate for example.

Look at hit rating for boomkins and elemental shaman. There is not a single piece of mail/leather +hit gear outside of some of their t7(.5) pieces. I think that essentially they're going to have to wear some cloth.

Also, it seems like that they're going for more of an all one stat or the other type of arrangement, which I really don't have a problem with. Want to balance crit vs. haste? Grab your haste shoulders and your crit chest piece. Want to go for all crit all the time? Go for both your crit pieces. I don't see anything inherently wrong with this approach.

@ riz: I am kinda regretting the choice of leveling my shaman before my priest because of the whole spirit thing. At least priests get some use out of mp5.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited December 2008
    I have so much mp5 right now it's ridiculous

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2008
    Forgive me, my Blood spec DK is only 60 and hasn't really tanked much outside of helping a friend of my in-game tanking places like Uldaman and Zul'Farrak. Though I do think I've tanked Ramparts once and it generally went okay.

But ANYWAY!

Happy: I got a guild group for Nexus and we pretty much one-shotted the place and cleared it pretty fast.

Clawshrimpy on
    edited December 2008
    FightTest wrote: »
    riz wrote: »
    You say that but our ret paladin gets a lot of joy out of surviving whirlwinds that make the other melee DPS go splat. This is not to say he didn't wear leather through most of BC but he would love to be able to wear plate and have it be best in slot for his spec.

You mean like accidentally? Or they strain your healers to feel cool for wearing plate?

Haha. Well. He's a ret paladin. He takes damage in the very act of DPSing. I usually put a renew on him and if the going gets rough he knows when to switch to SoC or LoH himself. I keep waiting for him to kill himself on Loatheb but it hasn't happened yet. :( I did mean accidentally though, as far as whirlwinds go. Although there have been plenty of times in the past when the healers told the melee to just stand in the whirlwind/AOE/whatever to DPS and get healed through it. When the healers are bored, I guess.

@ riz: I am kinda regretting the choice of leveling my shaman before my priest because of the whole spirit thing. At least priests get some use out of mp5.

Yep. At the same time, shamans could equip cloth/leather/mail drops, so that's more potential non-spirit upgrades to choose from, but still.

riz on
    edited December 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

And to make it more ridiculous, from what I've been reading over at elitistjerks, that int (yes, *int*) is a better stat to stack than mp5 for mana concerns, because the water totems/replenishment act on a % of your total mana.

It looks like currently I'll be making a crit set if I'm main tank healing (glyphed LHW ftw!) and a haste set if I'm raid healing (for CH spam).

chrono_traveller on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yay. I has enough money for a new pc. I am not sure if it will run Warhammer, but it'll sure as fuck run WoW.

Rizzi on
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Amused: Google. I figured "fffffffffff" was some new meme going around, so I googled it. First thing that comes up:

"INTERNETS FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. « orz - SWISS CHEESE PORNINTERNETS FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. November 23, 2008. Day 2 of AFA. Still pretty fun, still didn’t ... UNOWN, I CHOOSE YOU. INTERNETS FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. ..."

Swiss. Cheese. Porn.

That's a new one.

Wavechaser on
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hate: I think my RAF buddy isn't going to be able to be a buddy past the 10-day trial. :(

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

And to make it more ridiculous, from what I've been reading over at elitistjerks, that int (yes, *int*) is a better stat to stack than mp5 for mana concerns, because the water totems/replenishment act on a % of your total mana.

It looks like currently I'll be making a crit set if I'm main tank healing (glyphed LHW ftw!) and a haste set if I'm raid healing (for CH spam).

Well I have a ton of int too. Fully buffed I get up to just under 20k mana. Endurance fights are nothing to me.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    HAPPY: I got to do deamines last night with some friends who came back after a three year hiatus. It was just 4 of us at lvls 16 and 17. It was a blast to see vanilla WoW again. We got all the way to the boat but could not beat van cleef.

Hope: We get naxx tonight

Hate: How much fun DK was.

Oh and question the quest for dk where you kill crusaders for crusader skulls. Does anyone realize how fast you could make gold by killing citizens than put them in the cauldron? You one shot them and five of those potions go for 2 gold plus. It is 20 per turn in.... Im hoping it just continues because my dk is not leaving there after making 50 gold in 30 minutes.

Laonar on
This discussion has been closed.