As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vista Home Premium -- Defender not updating / VC++ not installing

SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex SinterklasicusMadrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Good day, I'm encountering an issue on my week old PC, where running any version of vcredist_x86.exe is not working. Software I'm trying to install needs this installed, but it doesn't appear to do anything. When I execute it, I get a popup disclaimer, I click yes, and from that point on the .exe appears to not do anything (It sits in my task manager listed as vcredist_x86.exe Sander 00 2.280kb Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor)

I've left it running for 45+ minutes, it just doesn't do anything. I gave it initial permission to run, and I am logged as administrator. Now this is a brand new machine, where I installed pretty much nothing at all.

I've tried googling the problem, but it doesn't appear very helpful.

My questions are the following:
- Should I even have to install this on a new machine, or are these supposed to be installed already?
- If I need to install them, which version do I need to install?
- If the wrong version is installed, where would it show up, and how could I see this?

New seperate issue:
Windows Defender apparently has failed updating definitions since 1 day after I bought the machine. It has numerous attempts listed. They won't install, and get stuck at 0% forever.

PC details:
Windows Vista Home Premium (Dutch edition)
Intel quadcore Q6600 @ 2.40Ghz
Nvidia 9800
4GB Ram

OP Update to list all trials and tests so far:

- Running any version of the website of MS has the same effect
- Running the .net framework installer from MS has the same effect
- I am running as an admin
- Running the installer from c:\windows\ and directly from the FIFA09 disc has the same effect
- Manually trying to install the update to Windows Defender (which has failed listed upgrades) will freeze at 0% after ~30mins of my HD rattling (it stops eventually)
- Disabling UAC has no effect
- Disabling my antivirus (Panda) has no effect
- Disabling Windows Defender has no effect
- Rebooting has no effect
- Rebooting wishes to install the Windows Defender update

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
SanderJK on

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've been battling this for the past hour and a half now... as an update, I've noticed one more weird thing:
    I bought this PC the 28th, but checking my update logs, starting the 30th my PC has failed to update Windows Defender (It lists 10 update attempts to 2 recent builds, with 8 marked as failed and 2 as cancelled).

I'm trying to run it now manually, but it seems stuck at 0%.

It's really annoying me. The fact that on a fresh factory install it's not working is mindboggling.

SanderJK on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Make sure you're in an administrator account.

I know when I've tried to run certain update/installs in a non-admin account in Vista/Windows 2008 Server they hang because of a credentials checker that was only viewable on the admin account after running them there.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Aye, I don't think you have to install the VC++ runtime libraries on a Vista machine. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that comes with the system.

If it isn't for some reason, make sure you don't actually need the x64 redistributable package. With a week old PC, the odds are high that you may have a 64-bit version of Vista.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This installer in question is Fifa '09. Upon loading the exe from the DVD, it starts this up. It then hangs in my task manager indefinitely. If I kill the process, I get a popup saying VC 8 installed unsuccesfully and that it's closing the installer.

Combined with the Windows Defender not updating, and some earlier problems where updates during shutting down weren't functioning, I've become extremely suspicious.

Where can I make sure I have 64bit Vista?

EDIT: I downloaded the 64bit version from microsoft.com too. It displays the same behaviour (popup, Yes, hangs indefinitely).

Also, I run everything under "run as administrator" as well.

EDIT2:
    For a try, I tried downloading the .net framework installer. It shows the same behaviour.

EDIT3:
    Tried / tested the following:
    - I am indeed running as an admin
    - I disabled UAC, no effect (it's now back on because windows kept complaining)
    - I tested 5 versions in total of the extractor

I'm really worried what to do. It seems a software issue, and i'm not at all sure the vendor is going to do anything. I bought this PC to finally play some of the games I've been missing out on, but plenty of stuff uses this, and it feels like the machine is crippled already.
    I also want to use this PC for 4 years or so, and if basicly out of the box functions like updating Windows Defender or installing basic stuff like this don't work, I feel like i'm off on a really bad start and I'm not sure what will happen in the future.

SanderJK on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Can you cancel out of that part of the install and have it continue installing the game?

zilo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    No. It will say VC install failed and cancel out of the install.

I will also mention that this happens if I just run the .exe itself too. From the disc, downloaded from microsoft, in any version I could find. Reboot the machine, run it, fails. As one site suggested, running the installer from c:\windows\ fails as well. Same for the .net framework installer from microsoft. Run, get a disclaimer, click yes, nothing.

SanderJK on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hmm... at this point, I'd say try contacting EA (they made FIFA '09, right?), and see if they have some info that can be of use to you. For all we know, it could be a bug that they need to patch under some conditions. (Not for the VC++ redistributable of course, but for FIFA itself)

Give that a shot, see if they have some good answers possibly!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    losabiolosabio Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Have you tried disabling antivirus?

losabio on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I could certainly do that, but it does not explain the problems. Why can't the installer run. Why can't the .net installer run. Why doesn't Windows Defender update correctly?

I have very little hope that the problem lies with the game. It seems it just runs this installer before the main installer, and I never even really get to the FIFA 09 installer.

I've been scouring the net for 3 hours straight for any hits on comperable issues, and i'm not really getting anything. It's infuriating.

SanderJK on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yes I've disabled my anti-virus as well (Panda, it came with the PC). No change.

SanderJK on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Aye, I'm not sure at this point. If it's only a couple of days old, maybe the company you got it from would be willing to take a look at it?

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm going to call them in the morning, but I don't really have high hopes. I'm guessing it'll be blamed as a software issue and brushed off.

SanderJK on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    =( Don't even tell them about FIFA itself. Tell them about the fact that Windows Defender no longer updates, and that Microsofts' VC++ redistributable libraries won't install. Those really re things that should just happen, even if VC++ comes on Vista (which I thought it did... until now =) ).

I don't think they can easily brush that aside, especially the windows defender issue.

VThornheart on