As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC] Transfomers RPG: Nothing's Gonna Stand in Our Way

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I totally thought I'd said the game would be pbp. My bad. Christ, I need this coming vacation so bad.

I have no idea what pbp is. Mind explaining?

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Antimatter wrote: »
    I totally thought I'd said the game would be pbp. My bad. Christ, I need this coming vacation so bad.

I have no idea what pbp is. Mind explaining?

Play-by-post. Means the game'll be done in a thread here in this forum

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    oh thank god.
    edit: I have a spotlight planned, but I have an assignment to do.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Attack at Fort Knox:
    Downbeat is spying on the Decepticons per his orders, but because of his altmode he is easily spotted and captured. He overhears a plan to attack Fort Knox and convert gold into energon. His guard Skywarp mocks him and the Autobot cause, saying that they are weak. Downbeat replies that good will always defeat evil, despite the differences in strength. Skywarp attempts to "teach him a lesson", but Downbeat trips Skywarp and escapes to tell the Autobots. The effort to reach them combined with the beatdown he received from the Decepticons means that he is unable to fight at Fort Knox, but he is content with knowing that he helped stop the advantage of fuel given to the enemy. The next three fourths of the episode deals with the battle between the two factions.

Aspects: Idealistic, Conspicuous.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Episode: Red Sea Rescue

Shortly after passing through the Suez Canal, an oil tanker is hijacked by Decepticons. Deepwater, who happened to be patrolling in the area, picks up a fragment of the ship's distress signal before it is quickly cut off. Speeding to the area, the Autobot engages the Decepticons in battle, his prowess on the water easily giving him the upper hand.

Before he can chase them off, however, the Decepticons blast the oil tanker and make off with what energon cubes they can carry. Torn between pursuing the Decepticons or rescuing the ship's crew,
    Deepwater allows the Decepticons to escape, rescuing the crew from the sinking vessel and sealing its hull to prevent an oil spill.

Aspects: Like A Fish to Water, The Value of Life

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nice episodes there, folks. I'll be posting tonight with the next phase of character creation. I meant to have it up last night, but I'm feeling a bit under the weather.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't have regular internet access at the moment, but I can assure you once I have it again, I am on this like Sharkticons on Quintession prisoners.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I was wondering why you've been gone, Primus. That sucks about your internet.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I expect it to be back up within a week.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That's roughly about when we'll be starting. How irregular is your access until then? Once a day? Once a week?

If you can make a character, you'll be able to play when we start.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You going to post part three?

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I shall indeed, right after I make/eat dinner.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    See ya tomorrow then. I'm going to bed in a half hour.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Phase 3: Supporting Roles

In Phase 3, you're going to add your character to everyone else's episode in some sort of supporting role. You guys are going to add a short paragraph after each person's episode (keep the original episode in spoiler tags). Chronologically, your supporting role can be anywhere in the episode and doesn't necessarily have to even be related to anything the original poster wrote.

I've collected everyone's episode here for convenience. You want to try to get (4) total aspects from your combined guest starring.

Deepwater (delroland)

Shortly after passing through the Suez Canal, an oil tanker is hijacked by Decepticons. Deepwater, who happened to be patrolling in the area, picks up a fragment of the ship's distress signal before it is quickly cut off. Speeding to the area, the Autobot engages the Decepticons in battle, his prowess on the water easily giving him the upper hand.

Before he can chase them off, however, the Decepticons blast the oil tanker and make off with what energon cubes they can carry. Torn between pursuing the Decepticons or rescuing the ship's crew, Deepwater allows the Decepticons to escape, rescuing the crew from the sinking vessel and sealing its hull to prevent an oil spill.

Downbeat (Antimatter)
    Attack at Fort Knox:

Downbeat is spying on the Decepticons per his orders, but because of his altmode he is easily spotted and captured. He overhears a plan to attack Fort Knox and convert gold into energon. His guard Skywarp mocks him and the Autobot cause, saying that they are weak. Downbeat replies that good will always defeat evil, despite the differences in strength. Skywarp attempts to "teach him a lesson", but Downbeat trips Skywarp and escapes to tell the Autobots. The effort to reach them combined with the beatdown he received from the Decepticons means that he is unable to fight at Fort Knox, but he is content with knowing that he helped stop the advantage of fuel given to the enemy. The next three fourths of the episode deals with the battle between the two factions.

Dropzone (DE?AD)
    Deadly Delivery:

After the Autobots intercept a Decepticon transmission revealing the construction of a prototype "Anti-Energon Bomb", Dropzone chooses duty over obedience, and disobeys a direct command in order to investigate, and stop, the construction of the dangerous new weapon. Using his speed, cunning, and small size, Dropzone is able to sneak his way into the Decepticon weapons-factory hidden within a human city. Discovering Dropzone's presence, the Decepticons arm the experimental weapon in a last-ditch effort to keep the technology out of Autobot hands. Knowing that the explosive would severely damage the surrounding city, Dropzone grabs the bomb and makes a mad dash for the desert outside of town, managing to get the weapon out to a safe distance before it detonates.

Barrage (cj)
    Untitled

When Optimus Prime and the other Autobots get stuck in a Ill-logic super loop caused by the Decepticons' new super weapon, it falls to Barrage and a few young Autobots to hold off a Decepticon horde long enough for the others to recover. At first the clash of personalities nearly makes this task impossible but eventually they manage to do so through sheer grit and determination. Nearly spent and defeated when a tidal wave of rescuing Autobots bursts forth from the Ark, they succeeded at their herculean task and showed the Decepticons what it means to be Autobots

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Here's a sample of how I want you guys to format your response.

Deepwater (delroland)

Before he can chase them off, however, the Decepticons blast the oil tanker and make off with what energon cubes they can carry. Torn between pursuing the Decepticons or rescuing the ship's crew, Deepwater allows the Decepticons to escape, rescuing the crew from the sinking vessel and sealing its hull to prevent an oil spill.

Meanwhile back on shore, Sideswipe engages in a fierce battle against Soundwave's minions, who are simultaneously attacking the refinery where the oil tanker was headed. Despite being outnumbered, Sideswipe holds his own long enough for reinforcements to arrive. After capturing Rumble, the Autobots gain hints as to the location of a new Decepticon base.

Downbeat (Antimatter)
    Attack at Fort Knox:

Guest star goes here.

Dropzone (DE?AD)
    Deadly Delivery:

After the Autobots intercept a Decepticon transmission revealing the construction of a prototype "Anti-Energon Bomb", Dropzone chooses duty over obedience, and disobeys a direct command in order to investigate, and stop, the construction of the dangerous new weapon. Using his speed, cunning, and small size, Dropzone is able to sneak his way into the Decepticon weapons-factory hidden within a human city. Discovering Dropzone's presence, the Decepticons arm the experimental weapon in a last-ditch effort to keep the technology out of Autobot hands. Knowing that the explosive would severely damage the surrounding city, Dropzone grabs the bomb and makes a mad dash for the desert outside of town, managing to get the weapon out to a safe distance before it detonates.

Guest star goes here.

Barrage (cj)
    Untitled

When Optimus Prime and the other Autobots get stuck in a Ill-logic super loop caused by the Decepticons' new super weapon, it falls to Barrage and a few young Autobots to hold off a Decepticon horde long enough for the others to recover. At first the clash of personalities nearly makes this task impossible but eventually they manage to do so through sheer grit and determination. Nearly spent and defeated when a tidal wave of rescuing Autobots bursts forth from the Ark, they succeeded at their herculean task and showed the Decepticons what it means to be Autobots

Guest star goes here.

Aspects: 4x

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    This is going to take some more doing than a character spotlight ey whot.

Anwyay; call my episode the Sickbed Stonewall.

Meanwhile Barrage, having been dropped off by Deepwater, investigates the sudden appearance of a new pyramid. It turns out to be a Decepticon tomb ship filled with relics and blueprints to old Decepticon weapons. After awakening and defeating the freshly awakened guardians, Barrage rigs the entire thing to explode. Making sure no one can abuse the treasures inside.
    Aspects: Demolition, better safe than sorry
    Attack at Fort Knox:

Thanks to Downbeat's marathon effort Barrage and the other Autobots are able to intercept the decepticons. During the battle at fort Knox however Barrage trusty blaster gets disabled and he has to use tons of gold in order to continue fighting. Smashing decepticons roughly about the head with gold bars has its charm, but a good blaster will always be preferable.
    Aspects: Use what's handy
    Deadly Delivery:

Meanwhile in Russia Barrage spots a young boy excluded from playing basketball. Taking some time out of his uneventful patrol, he reveals himself to the young man and plays some basketball with him. He tries to comfort him while giving some killer jump shot advice.
    aspects: Good with kids

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hey, mightyspacepope, quick question: I've been reading through the FATE site you linked, and I just realized Aspects come in ranks - should we be worrying about that at this point? For instance, should I be looking to increase my rank in Outrun the Blastwave during Phase 3?

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    We're not going to be using ranks, so don't sweat it. We're going for a much more streamlined approach.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ah, right-o then.

Deepwater (delroland)

Guest Star in a Guest Star: Accompanying Barrage on his under-water exploration mission, Dropzone's impatience and need to move causes him to stumble onto a trapped platform, awakening the tomb-ship's guardians. He's quickly overwhelmed by the much larger and stronger guardians, and suffers severe damage from their attacks, rendering him immobile. Thankfully, Barrage is able to rescue his smaller comrade, and use Dropzone's stash of explosive to rig the ship to explode.

Downbeat (Antimatter)
    Attack at Fort Knox:

During the battle, while the other Autobots worked to defend Fort Knox from the Decepticons, Dropzone worked his way into the complex itself, and helped guide the human workers to safety. When confronted by a group of Cassetticons, he orders the humans to run on ahead while he holds off the tiny Decepticons.

Barrage (cj)
    Untitled

On a mission to deliver a sensitive message to Optimus Prime, Dropzone is caught in the Ill-logic super loop, and rendered confused and somewhat amnesiac. Wandering into a human city, and is mistaken for the newly ordered scooter of a young delivery woman working at a Chinese restaurant. As the other Autobots triumph in their battle and reverse the effects of the Ill-logic loop, Dropzone remembers his actual purpose. Still, feeling a form of Messenger's Camaraderie with the human, he decides to remain in the city, and aid her in her duties.

Aspects: Grenadier, Quick to Action, Pick on Someone Your Own Size, Eye-To-Eye with the Humans

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Deepwater (delroland)

Downbeat attempts to pursue the Decepticons, but is shot down. He allows the tide to carry him to shore
    Aspects: Persistent, Patient.

Dropzone (DE?AD)
    Deadly Delivery:

Downbeat sees Dropzone running, understands what's going on, and fights off some guards who attempt to halt the dashing messenger, despite knowing he's going to get in trouble later.
    Aspects: Anything necessary to complete the case

Barrage (cj)
    Untitled

Downbeat defends Huffer from the attacking Decepticons
    Aspects: Help the Helpless

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Downbeat (Antimatter)
    Attack at Fort Knox:

Deepwater finds the escaped Downbeat, collapsed from his effort, and carries Downbeat back to the Ark. He later participates in the battle at Fort Knox.

Dropzone (DE?AD)
    Deadly Delivery:

Before departing, Dropzone confides in Deepwater his desire to do something about the anti-energon bomb. Deepwater responds that going out alone would be too dangerous, "especially for an Autobot so small," unintentionally provoking Dropzone to do just that. Later, feeling responsible for putting Dropzone in danger, Deepwater confesses to Optimus Prime, who immediately rallies the other Autobots to come to Dropzone's aid. They arrive just in time to provide the needed cover for Dropzone to make his dash to the desert.

Barrage (cj)
    The Sickbed Stonewall

Deepwater follows Barrage's lead, helping fend off the Decepticon attack just long enough for the rest of the Autobots to recover, despite taking significant damage from the merciless Decepticon assault.

Aspects: No 'Bot Left Behind, Prime Knows Best, Here Comes The Cavalry, Hold the Line!

delroland on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The next step is going to be skill selection. Again, I'm feeling pretty crappy so I'm going to type it up and explain it tomorrow.

Nice job on the guest starring bits, everyone. Hopefully, tomorrow I'll be a functional human being again.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    This looks pretty awesome.

http://true20.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2348&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

It's a d20-based Transformers roleplaying system. I'm going to order it and if I like it, I might run a game using those rules after we test-drive these rules.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Wait; just true20 or something else extra? Cause i've got true20 at home i think

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Looks interesting. I'm not really familiar with True20, though I'm a big fan of it's kinda-sort-ancestor Mutants and Masterminds, which I've always thought would be perfect for a Transformers game.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    m&m would be really decent for a transformers game. Though a headache building characters for new people and maybe some pains in the butt with size modifiers.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh yeah, you'd definitely have to know the system to make a character, but I think it's very doable.

Size modifiers would really be a problem, really - plus, they have a handy table that shows what vehicles fall within what size categories.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ah in my m&m games i never liked having people being different sizes, too much looking up when stuff becomes an area attack etc. Anyway thats just me, but on m&m forum there are some fantastic transformers conversions by a poster named taliesin. Pretty much all encompasing.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, the MnM forums are a great place to find conversions in general, there's just a staggering amount of them there.

For a while before I joined this game, I was seriously considering running a reinvisioned Transformers-esque game. Though one entirely removed from the actual series, and based more on the movie as far as the robot's reasoning for being on Earth goes (I.E. an ancient bit of technology capable of allowing their species to reproduce again - thus ensuring victory for whichever side possess it).

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Information on skills will go up tonight. In the mean time, it'd be great if you guys would start putting your character info up on myth-weavers. When you go to make a new sheet, use the FATE template at the bottom. Fill in what you can.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    delroland on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Phase 4: Skills

Next step is to choose your skills. This operates on a sort of "pyramid," where you choose one skill at +5, two skills at +4, three at +3, four at +2, and five at +5. For all other skills, you begin with a skill value of 0.

The skills you can choose from include:

Academics (non-scientific knowledge)
    Alertness
    Art (understanding of art, music, etc.)
    Athletics
    Burglary (you can also think of this as "sabotage")
    Contacting (having contacts to get information from)
    Deceit (lying)
    Drive (this would include any type of movement while in vehicle mode, so even those with aerial vehicle modes would roll this for movement rolls)
    Empathy (think of this as a perception check for reading people)
    Endurance (note that higher ranks in endurance will also give you more physical health)
    Engineering
    Fists (any unarmed melee combat, whether you're a brawler or a martial artist)
    Guns (any ranged combat except for thrown weapons)
    Intimidation
    Investigation (think of this as being like a suped-up version of a search check from 3.5 D&D)
    Might (pure physical strength, doesn't factor into melee damage)
    Mysteries (mystical or arcane knowledge, for Transformers, this would apply to things like knowing about the Matrix or about Unicron, things like that)
    Pilot (driving or piloting any vehicle from a driver's or pilot's seat)
    Rapport (think of this as diplomacy)
    Resolve (mental toughness, taking higher ranks in this adds to your mental health)
    Science (understanding of the sciences)
    Sleight of Hand
    Stealth
    Survival
    Use Computer
    Weapons (includes both melee weapons and thrown weapons, ie. shuriken)

Things to note:
    -The skills are rather vague. The system is meant to be loose, so you're encouraged to get creative with the actions you choose to do.
    -The three combat skills (fists, guns, weapons) don't have any numeric advantage over each other, other than the fact that guns (and some weapons) allow you to attack from range. Whether you use a rocket launcher or your fists, you have the same chance of doing damage.
    -You're going to want to have at least one of the three combat skills at either your +5, +4, or +3 skill tier level.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Guns +5
    Fists +4
    Engineering +4
    Endurance +3
    Resolve +3
    Empathy +3
    Might +2
    Intimidation +2
    Investigation +2
    Survival +2
    Science +1
    Drive +1
    Use computer +1
    Mysteries +1
    Alertness +1

Will update the sheet a bit later

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Sheet updated with skills.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Skills added to Dropzone's sheet.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Sweet, Pope's online. Update coming, I assume.

Antimatter on