As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Japanimation] Quarantine Thread

• Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    Clawshrimpy you seem to be under the impression that these companies exist to pander only to you and you alone, which is simply not true.

Hell, if they DID only pander to you and you alone they'd be out of business because your ideas about everything are fucking terrible.

They don't owe you jack shit. You are not entitled to having these companies make shit you like.

You're the worst kind of whiny nerd and you should stop it because you're outrageously immature.
    I jsut don't udnerstand how people could like this stuff, when stuff like Turn A and Gundam X was so superior.

Because one show being better doesn't make another worse. Furthermore, those are your opinions. You should know by now that most of us do not share them. I firmly believe that TTGL is better than GGG, but I don't expect you to think the same thing. That doesn't mean GGG sucked. And I certainly won't nerdrage because someone doesn't agree with that opinion.
    Yeah, but still, the damn suits believe they need to stick to the same shit in order to keep their damn fanbase. while leaving others in the cold.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Clawshrimpy you seem to be under the impression that these companies exist to pander only to you and you alone, which is simply not true.

Hell, if they DID only pander to you and you alone they'd be out of business because your ideas about everything are fucking terrible.

They don't owe you jack shit. You are not entitled to having these companies make shit you like.

You're the worst kind of whiny nerd and you should stop it because you're outrageously immature.
    I jsut don't udnerstand how people could like this stuff, when stuff like Turn A and Gundam X was so superior.

Because one show being better doesn't make another worse. Furthermore, those are your opinions. You should know by now that most of us do not share them. I firmly believe that TTGL is better than GGG, but I don't expect you to think the same thing. That doesn't mean GGG sucked. And I certainly won't nerdrage because someone doesn't agree with that opinion.
    Yeah, but still, the damn suits believe they need to stick to the same shit in order to keep their damn fanbase. while leaving others in the cold.

It's a business. They don't give a shit about their fanbase except to the extent to which their fans will give them money. That is all there is to it, and you should understand that. They don't give a shit about you or the people who share your opinions because making a show that you would like would reduce the amount of money they make. Maybe when their current formula stops working they will be willing to try incorporating elements of the old stuff, but the Japanese are notoriously resistant to change. They don't owe you anything, and you don't owe them anything. If the VOTOMS OVA did well enough to make a profit then you might see more things like it. If it did poorly then there isn't enough of a market to justify their creation.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited December 2008

It's a business. They don't give a shit about their fanbase except to the extent to which their fans will give them money. That is all there is to it, and you should understand that. They don't give a shit about you or the people who share your opinions because making a show that you would like would reduce the amount of money they make. Maybe when their current formula stops working they will be willing to try incorporating elements of the old stuff, but the Japanese are notoriously resistant to change. They don't owe you anything, and you don't owe them anything. If the VOTOMS OVA did well enough to make a profit then you might see more things like it. If it did poorly then there isn't enough of a market to justify their creation.
    And the really bullshit thing is they hardly have to try to get people to watch, all they need are some attractive boys a "DEEP" plot, and they've got the female ratings. while on the other hand, I still read all these good reviews on Gundam 00, yet when it's not supposed to appeal to guys anymore. the horrible mechanical design, for example. and if they like Gundam 00, going by formula, it makes me cringe to think people actually think SEED was a good show.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm a dude and I support Gundamoo.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Kelor wrote: »
    Then by association you also like SEED Destiny. D:

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008

You mean there doesn't have to be a best show ever? I had never looked at it that way before. What an unfortunate generation to have lived in. Lucky for us Venture Bros. already exists. Or do some of you think Venture Bros. isn't the best show ever? Well you're wrong and it's all because of fangirls.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    sigh

setrajonas on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

No. No.

I'm a dude. I hated Destiny, and I love 00.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Gumpy wrote: »

No. No.

But 00 was created basically in the Exectuive suits vision to continue the sucess of SEED Destiny, the Fangirl panderism and bad mechanical design in lieu of making the characters more visually appealing is proof of this.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

No. No.

But 00 was created basically in the Exectuive suits vision to continue the sucess of SEED Destiny, the Fangirl panderism and bad mechanical design in lieu of making the characters more visually appealing is proof of this.

But I like the mechanical design. To me, it's good mechanical design.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

No. No.

Yes, but they're horrifically bad when compared to stuff before the seed era, like say, 0080/0083/08th MS designs, or Gundam X designs, or Turn A designs.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

No. No.

Yes, but they're horrifically bad when compared to stuff before the seed era, like say, 0080/0083/08th MS designs, or Gundam X designs, or Turn A designs.

Those were interesting mechanical designs, but Gundam has gone beyond that era now. The Universal Century is its own place, separate from all the other ones. If that's your favorite, then watch that. My favorite is Macross, because I like mechs that can move. If my mechs can't move very well, Battletech beats any of the Japanese clunky robots. "Oh, your robot is clunky and pseudorealistic? So's mine but I've got a million guns and really this is more of a tank with legs than a mech so good luck."

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

No. No.

I've seen many examples of pre-SEED mechanical design, and I personally think the designs in 00 compare quite well. In particular I'm a giant fan of the grunt suit design in 00.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think the only option, Clawshrimpy, is to make your own Giant Robot anime.

Move to Japan, get a job working in the industry, meet creative types and executives of animation studios, and pitch your idea of a manly McMan giant robot anime with no women and little plot. It's the only way. Nothing else will satisfy your vision of what giant robot anime should be.

I admit, it's going to take time, at least half a decade, but it will pay off in the end. When you see your glorious creation on television, with perfect giant robot design and perfect manly giant robot pilots who have no love interests and are possibly gay. The world will finally know the true meaning of giant robot.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

No. No.

I've seen many examples of pre-SEED mechanical design, and I personally think the designs in 00 compare quite well. In particular I'm a giant fan of the grunt suit design in 00.
    At the end of the day, Exia was just a very poor attempt to turn the

R-Blade

into a Gundam. and tey forgot the golden rule about Giant robots that excel in melee combat, even Real-types.... the pilot needs to be hot-blooded and awesome.

NO EXEPTIONS

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I honestly can't tell the difference between Gundams, but then I think the original Gundam design is silly anyhow.

Also, that's a stupid rule.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    And the really bullshit thing is they hardly have to try to get people to watch, all they need are some attractive boys a "DEEP" plot, and they've got the female ratings. while on the other hand, I still read all these good reviews on Gundam 00, yet when it's not supposed to appeal to guys anymore. the horrible mechanical design, for example. and if they like Gundam 00, going by formula, it makes me cringe to think people actually think SEED was a good show.

Most people here can appreciate plots with some complexity (but not a 30 Xanatos Pileup). It's not our problem that your definition of a complex plot is one that is about as deep as the morning dew. I have no idea where you get the impression that "it's not supposed to appeal to guys", but pretend that I inlined that image of Lex Luthor yelling "Wrong!".

I'm also in the camp that doesn't think the mechanical designs are bad, and I've never seen SEED or SEED Destiny.

No. No.

There's nothing wrong with making characters visually appealing (I certainly can't think of a good reason why characters should be made ugly), and you should really come to terms with your feelings for Lockon.
    If my mechs can't move very well, Battletech beats any of the Japanese clunky robots. "Oh, your robot is clunky and pseudorealistic? So's mine but I've got a million guns
    More_Dakka.jpg

"Dakka": Ork slang for rapid fire capability, based on the onomatopoeia for the sound of automatic guns shooting. You need more of it. No exceptions."
    Gumpy wrote:

You mean the second season's grunts?

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Honestly, the best thing that came from Exia happened in the second season:
    Exia-Repair.jpg

Hobo Exia!

So awesome.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That's a very stupid rule. Hot-blooded soldiers per the hot-blooded-robot-jock thing from anime excel at finding landmines, ambushes, traps, and death in general. You cannot win fights by failing to control your emotions at all in any way shape or form. Good fighters fight with their head, not spaz out about subjective ideals.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

No. No.

At the end of the day, Exia was just a very poor attempt to turn the R-Blade into a Gundam. and tey forgot the golden rule about Giant robots that excel in melee combat, even Real-types.... the pilot needs to be hot-blooded and awesome.

Wait. So Exia has similarities to the R-Blade, and that proves that 00's mechanical design is bad?
    But I like the R-Blade design, and what the hell do you mean the Exia is an R-Blade gundam? They both use swords? Lots of machines use swords. One of Exia's swords is the same as one of the R-blades? That isn't enough of a connection to prove that the Exia is just an R-Blade rip off :|

And I like setsuna's character. He has his hot blooded moments, while not being a one dimensional character because of them.
    You mean the second season's grunts?

I like the second season's designs, and I loved the firsts.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That's a very stupid rule. Hot-blooded soldiers per the hot-blooded-robot-jock thing from anime excel at finding landmines, ambushes, traps, and death in general. You cannot win fights by failing to control your emotions at all in any way shape or form. Good fighters fight with their head, not spaz out about subjective ideals.
    You like Zengar Zombolt.

Does not Compute.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You like Zengar Zombolt.

Does not Compute.

I like Zengar and Daizengar because they're utterly fucking ridiculous. My favorite OG character is Kyosuke Nanbu. The combat-as-a-poker-game metaphor he lives in is rather fun and refreshing compared to the same old "oh my loved one died/disappeared/exited stage left and I had a conniption fit and now I can win at war by going into the middle of the front lines of a battlefield and crying about peace and love" nonsense. And then Excellen is a batshit nympho. Batshit-nympho + compulsive-gambler = single most powerful attack in the game and what is I'm sure a perfectly healthy relationship.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So is there anything out not that doesnt suck?

Something along the lines of Honey and Clover or Genshiken?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Pllus, that rule dates all the way back to Nadesico. does the word "GEKIGAN PUNCH" mean anything to you?

Fuck, it's even in Macross for god's sake. Anyone remember Roy's epic Battriod fist fight with a Destron?

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    How did you not get that the point of that show was literary criticism of all the things you are putting up on a pedestal?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

No. No.

Except you're retarded and don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Gundam 00 might be a sort of continuation of Destiny's appealing to fangirls as well as fanboys, but it's not made by the same creative team. The writing and character interaction and themes and setting and mood are all completely different.

And you'd know this if you were capable of actually judging a show by its content and writing as opposed to its visuals. You are an incredibly shallow person with an overdeveloped, irrational sense of entitlement.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You like Zengar Zombolt.

Does not Compute.

I like Zengar and Daizengar because they're utterly fucking ridiculous. My favorite OG character is Kyosuke Nanbu. The combat-as-a-poker-game metaphor he lives in is rather fun and refreshing compared to the same old "oh my loved one died/disappeared/exited stage left and I had a conniption fit and now I can win at war by going into the middle of the front lines of a battlefield and crying about peace and love" nonsense. And then Excellen is a batshit nympho. Batshit-nympho + compulsive-gambler = single most powerful attack in the game and what is I'm sure a perfectly healthy relationship.
    What about Ryusei? Being good at videogames helps.

1194140841898.jpg

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

No. No.

Except you're retarded and don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Gundam 00 might be a sort of continuation of Destiny's appealing to fangirls as well as fanboys, but it's not made by the same creative team. The writing and character interaction and themes and setting and mood are all completely different.

And you'd know this if you were capable of actually judging a show by its content and writing as opposed to its visuals. You are an incredibly shallow person with an overdeveloped, irrational sense of entitlement.
    I'm a gearhead. some people are into cars, I'm into giant robots, and really, if the mechanical design is bad, it doesn't matter how good the plot is or whatever, if the combat isn't apealing, and the characters don't appeal to me. it's pretty much Game Over.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    SRW doesn't train your reflexes. And spazing out isn't reflexes.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    How did you not get that the point of that show was literary criticism of all the things you are putting up on a pedestal?
    I only paid attenton to the truly GAR robot attles, as the rest was a smattering of fucking fanservice.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    god you are the worst kind of fanboy and you make me ashamed of being primarily into mecha anime.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm a gearhead. some people are into cars, I'm into giant robots, and really, if the mechanical design is bad, it doesn't matter how good the plot is or whatever, if the combat isn't apealing, and the characters don't appeal to me. it's pretty much Game Over.
    Good for you. Stop applying your metric to everyone else.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    Yeah, but there are different kinds of anime that can sitafy the need of people who want overly complicated plot. I'd like it to stop changing my robot shows.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I mean, fuck one of my favorite Real Robot shows of all time, Patlabor (Second only really to VOTOMS, and remember, VOTOMS had Fyanna.) the awesome protagonist was a woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v6Gy6_pm3s

You like Patlabor, and dislike sexual comedy? What, did you miss "The Seven Days Of Fire"?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, but there are different kinds of anime that can sitafy the need of people who want overly complicated plot. I'd like it to stop changing my robot shows.

They aren't "your shows", you conceited twit.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited December 2008

They're not your robot shows.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I only paid attenton to the truly GAR robot attles, as the rest was a smattering of fucking fanservice.

You don't know what the word "smattering" means. And no, it wasn't. Most of the show was talking. Talking about giant-robot anime, no less.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

They're not your robot shows.
    I'm sorry, They need to stop changing a genre intended for males, and changing it into a genre for females only. I don' even understand how any guy could watch something like Gundam 00. it reeks of "Fangirl Pride" as it were.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    We've been over this before. Shit changes. It's always going to change. You can't handle that. Fine. If you don't want it to change watch the same show and not new stuff.

Also what others said about them not being your shows.

Quid on
  • Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    god you are the worst kind of fanboy and you make me ashamed of being primarily into mecha anime.
    Yeah, and I like some of the shows he brings up (Gundam X, Turn A Gundam and GaoGaiGar).

The only difference is that I like Gurren Lagann and Gundam 00.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
This discussion has been closed.