As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I want to make my own TV channel

ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get alongRegistered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
And by that I mean create a media pc with all my family's favorite stuff on it. The idea is to fill the pc up with shows and movies (purchased preferably, bootlegged shit has terrible quality) and then I suppose you could choose whatever you wanted, but I'd like to create my own programming schedule with stuff coming on at certain times.

All of this may sound odd, but the reason is I have shut my cable off. I paid a ridiculous amount for a rubbish selection of channels, and the only good channels I have stopped working properly three weeks ago. I cannot get satellite due to the abundance of trees blocking the western sky so my options for TV are slim. I started thinking about an HTPC but I know nothing about media-based operating systems or if what I want is even achievable.

Shogun on

• yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I know TheSonicRetard has exactly that. Hell, the dude has even recorded goddamned commercials, and they play between episodes on his HTPC rig, if memory serves.

Pulling all of this off is out of my league(I'm more of a "just drop XBMC into an xbox and plug it into the network" kinda guy), but I KNOW it can be done.

yalborap on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What can I do with an xbox? I have an xbox lying around if it matters.

Shogun on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You can do a soft-mod, and then put XBMC into it. This gets you most non-HD video formats, network support, and a bunch of other stuff. Then just grab a used remote off Ebay or something and you're golden. You won't get the channel thing, but you'd be able to just play whatever you wanted from a menu, at least.

yalborap on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The channel thing is a deal breaker. We need to get this guy in here so he can drop the skinny because I'm dying to know.

Shogun on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Send him a PM.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm confused as to why you'd bother to program it to play stuff on a schedule. Once you've got all the media immediately accessible on a hard drive, the whole concept of scheduled programming becomes obsolete. The only reason that TV scheduling was even invented is that bandwidth for TV is/was a scarce resource. With a HTPC, or a home PC streaming video to a media center extender / console, bandwidth is no longer an issue because you're "broadcasting" to one household: yours. Something that presents a menu system (MediaPortal, TVersity, XBMC, MythTV, SageTV, there's tons to choose from) will let you choose what you want to watch, when you want to watch it.

I built a HTPC that has a terabyte of storage, and loaded it up with all kinds of media. It's plugged directly into my TV using a DVI cable, and I control it with an IR remote. It runs MediaPortal on top of Windows XP currently, so that gives me an interface I can easily navigate using the remote. Pick something to watch from the folders and lists, press play, boom, done. I suppose I could script it to play video on a schedule, but I can't imagine why I'd do that.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer