Options

Let's go to the Bal(dur's Gate)! (Part 14 on Page 16! Yes, updating after 3 months!)

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Basically.

Sadly most of our speech mannerisms are similar, too.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    thats what I was, like, getting at. totally.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Icewind Dale would be good, because then you could create the entire Buffy gang because it allows all 6 characters to be custom iirc? Or was that ID2?

So you could have Xander and Willow and I honestly forget the rest. Giles!

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    xander, buffy, giles and the geek from later on are the only ones that matter

also seth green but he wasn't around that long

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Nah, if I was to do Icewind Dale I would do something different.

Like, uh

the actual Scooby Doo gang

Moriveth on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mori, you are a treasure.

Great LP. It has inspired me to fire up (when find and then install) my BG2 disks.

I never did actually finish the game.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I've finished it once, years ago.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I played most if it through in multiplayer with my college roomate. That was good times. Play that while we pregamed a bit and ate some pizza then headed out for the night.

He had an annoying habit of wanting to sell everything. I had to find to hold onto a necklace that could shoot fire. I mean, c'mon, who doesn't want that.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm terrible at selling stuff in games. I'm always like "But what if I need it later?"

Especially potions.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Never sell potions.

Ever.

Other stuff, sure, I guess, but potions? No.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Imoen keeps running out of ammo.

Also I have had more warhammers break with this character than any character in BG1 previously

seriously I've had around six break on me

Khalid broke one of his bastard swords

one

Moriveth on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I remember in the first BG it was easy to set up an alternate voice set. I didn't like the basic ones, so I went to a site with short voice samples from movies... and created a Darth Vader set.

It was so totally cool. All, like, "What is thy bidding, my master?" when you clicked on him, and "No disintegrations!" when getting into combat and stuff.

It was so awesome. I wish I'd kept it, but the comical aspect meant I thought I'd get sick of the novelty. Sadly, ever since, I always end up wishing I still had it.

I played that one with a small, blonde female elf bard, as well, just to turn the ridiculousness of it all the way to 11.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    scarlet ave.scarlet ave. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thank you for this

so much.

scarlet ave. on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Label wrote: »
    this thread is way the fuck too good to be hidden away.

and man, i don't think i ever managed to play anything but a fighter as my main class.

It's not gonna be hidden. It's been reported for awesome, so more people should be observing it.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tossrock wrote: »
    Baldur's Gate II is easily in my top 3 videogames ever, and yet I've never played the original

I should rectify this sometime

Holy crap
    BaldursGateBoxedset.jpg

my girlfriend is so awesome

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Baldur's Gate II is easily in my top 3 videogames ever, and yet I've never played the original

Holy crap
    BaldursGateBoxedset.jpg

Hey, I have that one too! High five!

Also, get Bgtutu! It makes playing through BG1 so much easier.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Moriveth wrote: »

Holy crap
    BaldursGateBoxedset.jpg

Hey, I have that one too! High five!

Also, get Bgtutu! It makes playing through BG1 so much easier.

^5

And yes I was planning on it. All through my Planescape playthrough I was wishing there was an equivalent for it.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Also, the inter-party dialogue mod is pretty damn good - a bit cheesy sometimes (particularly when they just use emotes instead of actual dialogue), but well-written for the most part

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've actually beaten BGII three times, but outside forces always conspire against me from beating Throne of Baal.

Salmon of Doubt/Piscine of Hesitation used to have a clip of all Irenicus' dialog, and it was beautiful. God, he's such a good villain.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    scarlet ave.scarlet ave. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Irenicus was super wicked, but his weird relationship with Bodhi was what really made BGII for me.

scarlet ave. on
  • Options
    Rampant EntityRampant Entity Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Do you guys remember Lilarcor?

I don't know what you were expecting, but as a sword I'm pretty one-dimensional in what I want.

Rampant Entity on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Dear Diary,

BaldursGatePart7_01.jpg

While exploring, we found this weiiird little dig site! One of the guys was all angry and paranoid.

CharlestonNib.jpg: Put yer backs to those shovels, men! If she's not out tonight we'll lose 'er to the bandito scum! You there! State your business, but don't move from where you stand! I don't want to have to sic the boys on you!

Buffy.jpg: Like, take a chill pill! We're just, like, exploring and stuff!

CharlestonNib.jpg: No? Good, then. Sorry for the rough greeting, but it has surely been slow digging with bandits harassing us nightly. Charleston Nib, at your service.

Buffy.jpg: Good to meet you! So, like, what're you digging up here? It looks like a gross old tomb...

CharlestonNib.jpg: You are partially right, though it's not a tomb, but an ancient settlement. It is also all that remains of a primitive race long since extinct, and we know little about their culture save that they seem to have destroyed themselves in war. Perhaps today we will learn something more. We are just about to break through into an inner chamber, perhaps the dwelling of the village shaman himself. Mayhaps you could be of assistance to us? we need but keep the camp secure a short while longer. Your very presence would probably dissuade anyone from attacking us, though I do not know the force behind our misfortune. They seem to take great pleasure in minor sabotage and kidnapping, though some of the missing men may have just run off from fear. Nothing is ever stolen, which is odd for bandits, but they must still be the cause. Will you help us?

Buffy.jpg: Whoa, like, don't talk so fast, I can barely understand you and all those words you use to begin with! But, sure, we'll help you and stuff!

CharlestonNib.jpg: Gracious we are! Now we stand a chance of completing the most exciting day of our dig! We're going to try for an entire new room today, possibly the shaman or cheiftain quarters! We could find any number of relics within. Move amongst the men as you will, as your presence will no doubt reassure them.

BaldursGatePart7_02.jpg

This totally creepy guy came up to us while we were watching the diggers dig! He smelled like pipe-weed and gross beer!

Gallor: Why, hello there. Could we just... step aside a moment and have a little chat away from prying ears? First, my name is Gallor. Second, we never had this conversation. I'm the "partner" of that old mister Charleston you met, except I'm none too thrilled about the non-profit aspects of the whole thing. The old man seems to think we should donate all our findings to some museum, whereas I am ever so much more practical. I should think certain people would pay dearly for the magical treasure we are about to unearth, and if they would be so eager, who are we to stand in their way? I would like you to steal the item and 'remove' Mr. Nib from my little equation. You up to the task.

Buffy.jpg: Eeew, gross, you want me to touch stuff that old? Like, noooo way, I'd get my hands all dirty and stuff!

Gallor: Blast you! You are playing just as safe as the old man! So be it; I will find other means to acquire a fair measure of profit from this fiasco! Best you continue on whatever errand you be on.

BaldursGatePart7_03.jpg

CharlestonNib.jpg: Success! We are about to enter the last remaining room! It's sure to be the shaman's abode! Now we'll get some real information about what these peoples were truly like!

BaldursGatePart7_04.jpg

The tomb was all spooky and stuff... It was like, all weird smelling and I was toootally creeped out!

BaldursGatePart7_05.jpg

We totally ended up in this little room that was all full of creepy writings! Then the diggers started acting all strange...

Digger.jpg: Hey bossman, I don't feel so good. How old is the air in this place?

CharlestonNib.jpg: A good question, young man. I would guess that we are the first people to walk this room in nearly five thousand years. The very gods of Netheril would have been young at that time.

Digger.jpg: Is so... is so cold in here... I feel... strange... I hear... I hear a voice... in my head... I hear the hollow voice, but it is but a mumble! Speak up! Speak up and guide mine hands! RAAAAAAAAGH!!

Buffy.jpg: Like, uh oh...

Digger.jpg: You... I see what you are! There is power to be had from your death! Your blood will quiet the voice! BLOOD WILL QUIET!

BaldursGatePart7_06.jpg

Then they, like, attacked all of us! I feel kinda bad killing them but it's like, not like I had a choice!

BaldursGatePart7_07.jpg

There was some gross looking idol on the table there. Just looking at it made my skin go all creepy-crawly!

CharlestonNib.jpg: I... I think I can explain the madness that overcame my men. They seemed to scream in some ancient tongues, but I recognize the world "Kozah." It's the name of an ancient power; the name of a god of pandemonium. The tribe that lived here must have worshipped Kozah and the destruction he brought. The artifact that lies within this stone sarcophagus must be what has caused all of this bloodshed. Surely that artifact is cursed beyond belief! Please make sure it is within its proper place and we will seal the entrance. It's best that it never sees the light of day.

Buffy.jpg: Wow, that's like, a total bummer. I'm soooo sorry!

CharlestonNib.jpg: It's sad really. I had sought to bring a little life back to a long extinct people, and look what I wrought. Certainly some things are better off remaining dead. Here is your pay for the time you have spent here. Your services are no longer required. Everyone pack up! We are leaving this accursed place!

BaldursGatePart7_08.jpg

Then we went to the gnoll fortress to find Minsc's girlfriend! I didn't see any gnolls, though, just some of those gross midget Xvarts!

BaldursGatePart7_09.jpg

Then we found some of those gnolls! They're so gross, they've got puppy dog heads but then they're all mean and bitey!

BaldursGatePart7_10.jpg

We met Dynaheir after all that! She was all safe and sound at the bottom of a pit! Luckyyy!

Dynahier.jpg: I thank thee for saving me. 'Twas courageous to follow the likes of Minsc into battle, if a touch foolish. I have naught to offer thee awhile, and an opportunity may arise for repayment of mine debt. Minsc is... well... Minsc, but he hast a strong sword arm, whilst I am practiced in the arts magica. Shall we join?

Minsc.jpg: Dynaheir! Look, Boo, we found her! Oh, glorious day!

Dynahier.jpg: No I believe that 'tis truly thee. I would'st never have thought that I would'st be glad to see this... rodent.

Minsc.jpg: Yes, my witch, it's me! Oh, Buffy, if you thought that Minsc and Boo and you made a great butt-kicking team, just wait until Dynaheir joins us and unleashes her magic against the evil critters that bar our way!

Buffy.jpg: Yeah, that's cool and all, buuuut like, I've already, like, got Xannie here and he's like, soooo weak that he's enough trouble. I think I'll just, like, let you guys go on your way.

Minsc.jpg: I am truly saddened that yoou wish Minsc and Boo to leave. If you have any need for stout blade, and an even stouter man to swing it, do not hesitate to call on me. Let's go Dynaheir. You are safe with me regardless.

BaldursGatePart7_11.jpg

After Minsc left with his girlfriend, we decided to go to, like, Baldur's Gate to see if there were any good sales going on in the stores there.

BaldursGatePart7_12.jpg

And on the way we met this totally cute boy! He was all rugged and tough looking...

Ajantis.jpg: Halt! Be you friend or foe?

Buffy.jpg: Oooh, I'll totally like be your friend if you want me to! I'm, like, Buffy.

Ajantis.jpg: I am Ajantis, squire paladin of the Order of the Most Radiant Heart, servant to Helm, son of the noble family of Ilvastarr. I am here to hunt down the vile brigands who assault those traveling these roads. What of you?

Buffy.jpg: Oh, we're like hunting bandits and stuff! If you want to take a break from hunting brigands you could toootally come along and help us!

Ajantis.jpg: When I introduced myself, you perhaps heard when I referred to myself as a Squire knight> I am on a quest to earn my right to be a full fledged member of the Order of the Most Radiant Heart. Perhaps we could join forces, for we both wish to see the end of this bandit threat.

Buffy.jpg: Ohhhh, is that what Brigand means? Then totally, you should totally come along, it'll be soooo fun!

I think I'm gonna like Ajantis! He's way more fun than Xan, although Xan is still waaaay cuter!

xoxo,

Buffy

[Apologies for the brief update today, dudes - I'm gonna get back to the actual story with tomorrow's update so there should be some actual meat then]

Moriveth on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That'll do Mori, that'll do.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I guess I do the bandit camp next, huh?

Moriveth on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dammit, Mori, when you update the thread with actual gameplay, update the thread title, or else how am I supposed to know if this is updates or commentary?

I have a meeting 5 minutes ago which means I'll spend the next 20 minutes not at my computer thinking about this update and how I came into the thread and couldn't spend the time to read it
    :P

Fishman on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh shit, sorry dude! I thought I had updated it.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I wish this was on steam for 5 bucks

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008

No problem man, I'm just ragging on ya. :D

I must admit, the Archeological dig is one of my favourite random sidequest encounters in the entire series. Something about it just tickles me pink.

I'll miss Boo and Minsc, but I must admit the idea of a valley girl tossing off attached blokes to have a collection of single, unattached fawn-boys following her around is more amusing to my imagination.

Fishman on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Fishman wrote: »

I must admit, the Archeological dig is one of my favourite random sidequest encounters in the entire series. Something about it just tickles me pink.

I'll miss Boo and Minsc, but I must admit the idea of a valley girl tossing off attached blokes to have a collection of single, unattached fawn-boys following her around is more amusing to my imagination.

I'm intending to do that. I'll get Coran eventually, and Kagain (or whoever that good Dwarf fighter you meet in the Cloakwood mines is)

Hmm, I'd need a cleric, though. I mean, Ajantis is a decent paladin, but still.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I'm intending to do that. I'll get Coran eventually, and Kagain (or whoever that good Dwarf fighter you meet in the Cloakwood mines is)

Isn't the Dwarf in the mines a cleric? I mean, it's been a while, so I could be wrong.

Fishman on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Isn't the Dwarf in the mines a cleric? I mean, it's been a while, so I could be wrong.

Oh shit, I think you're right.

I'll still keep Imoen, I think. Maybe dual her to a Mage soon, after I max out find/disarm traps.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I'll still keep Imoen, I think. Maybe dual her to a Mage soon, after I max out find/disarm traps.

Well, yeah, always dual Imoen. I do it around level 2-3.

Besides, every valley girl needs to keep her best friends around for gossiping about the boys.
    and experimentation in the College years

Fishman on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Well, yeah, always dual Imoen. I do it around level 2-3.

Besides, every valley girl needs to keep her best friends around for gossiping about the boys.
    and experimentation in the College years
    They're sisters, you dirty bastard!

Then again, only half-sisters

:winky:

Moriveth on
  • Options
    DragDrag Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh man, I got so close to beating Throne of Bhaal with the Ascension mod (although I made it easier by using a monk), having beaten the watcher's keep and gotten a lot of awesome equipment, but just before the final battle
    I realized that I fucked up the dialogue tree that turns Sarevok from Chaotic Evil to Chaotic Good.

It was something so tangential to the gameplay, but I had a specific storyline that I had playing out in my head that involved that event as a pivotal moment, and I was so irritated that I didn't bother finishing the game. I figure now that there's probably some command in the console that can change that, but that ship has long since sailed.

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I couldn't imagine using Ascension. It's supposed to make battles a lot harder, right?

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I remember one play through I read about of BG2, involving a 6 sorcerer party.

Timestop/ fuckton of spells/ everything dies.

Fishman on
  • Options
    DragDrag Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    a lot more fun
    It really, seriously, is many many times more fun than standalone throne of bhaal, provided that you're the power-gaming type (and who doesn't power-game when they play BG2?). The unaltered bossfights are way too easy, and Ascension adds a lot of really neat twists to them and makes the difficulty more "believable." It also adds some meat to your interactions with Sarevok and Imoen (I think) and alters the ending sequences.

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Drag wrote: »
    a lot more fun
    It really, seriously, is many many times more fun than standalone throne of bhaal, provided that you're the power-gaming type (and who doesn't power-game when they play BG2?). The unaltered bossfights are way too easy, and Ascension adds a lot of really neat twists to them and makes the difficulty more "believable." It also adds some meat to your interactions with Sarevok and Imoen (I think) and alters the ending sequences.

Hmm, maybe I'll give it a shot sometime. I dunno, though.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, ToB is way too easy.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I don't know if I'll actually finish off the bandits tomorrow. I may try to take on Bassilus, since he's got a +2 warhammer apparently, and I am getting tired of my damn weapons breaking on me.

I may get up to the bandit camp and infiltrate it but not actually start the fight yet. I shall see, I guess!

I think I'm progressing in the game at a pretty decent clip. I also intend to do Ulgoth's Beard/Durlag's Tower eventually too - I'd never actually done those before!

I trust everyone's enjoying the LP so far. I've been considering writing my own inter-party dialogue instead of using the stock stuff, as, well, I think I might be able to write decently. I'll give it a test run (on my own) and see how it goes.

Moriveth on