As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mic Problems in Steam

KelbaenorKelbaenor Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I've tried Google but I can't seem to figure this out.

My mic on my headset works just fine with my sound recorder and in Vent, but it doesn't work on Steam.

It constantly sends this loud crackling feedback noise whenever I try and use it in Steam games, i.e. Left4Dead. If I try and test my mic with the Steam Microphone Test it does the same thing.

This isn't a problem playing with friends, but for public games it means I can't use my headset or I destroy peoples hearing.

I'm running XP Pro, using a Logitech headset, though I tried another headset and it did the same thing. I've updated my audio drivers (Realtek HD audio for a Gigabyte mobo) and it still doesn't work.

Any ideas?

PSN: Kelbaenor
Kelbaenor on

• MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    For some reason a lot of Steam games looks for the Voice recording device instead of Sound recording. Both are tabs in the Sound and Audio devices thingy from the control panel. Check that the headset is set to be the default voice recorder.

Otherwise you are probably screwed. Steam uses horribly low bitrates for the voice codecs. My USB headset sound like shit at low bitrates for some reason. On Ventrilo I sound great because there the server admin sets the codec and bitrate and it is usually pretty high.

Movitz on
  • ArmspawnArmspawn Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    I'm having the same problem with Left 4 Dead, with XP, Soundmax driver, and Logitech mic. Sound Recorder and Skype works fine, but Steam sounds like static. Please post if you find a fix, I'll do likewise.

Armspawn on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Very same problem, USB headset, Realtek too, only happens with Steam.
    Tried everything.

Djiem on
  • ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My friend complains of this too, L4D and XP is all the info I can provide.

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down