As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm starting to get really fucking angry (9/11 Truthers).

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wouldn't mind knowing about John Wayne and the rest of the cast in The Conqueror, though.

All that death by cancer thing, in a radiated area. Then again, they all smoked like fuckin' chimneys, so who knows?

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    i remember way back when there was zombie threads on here and I'd be like "oh guys i got plans and i know what i'd do if this happened"

it was all a bit of a fun game but sadly some people thought i was serious

in the true event of a zombie apocalypse that was worldwide and destroyed civilization my girlfriend and i would swallow bottles of pills and then lay down in bed holding each other and crying until we passed out

hooray isn't it fun

i have to admit, i've made up a lot of no-survival plans

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i remember way back when there was zombie threads on here and I'd be like "oh guys i got plans and i know what i'd do if this happened"

in the true event of a zombie apocalypse that was worldwide and destroyed civilization my girlfriend and i would swallow bottles of pills and then lay down in bed holding each other and crying until we passed out

hooray isn't it fun

Everyone likes to think that in moments of unimaginable horror, they'd be that guy who somehow manages to keep it all together and act like a complete badass.

What STALKER has taught me is that if I were ever in a situation like that in real life, I'd either be drunk 24/7 or I'd be eating the barrel of a gun fairly quickly.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Has anyone else read the book The World Without Us, by Alan Weisman? It's pretty interesting, and it's all about what would actually happen to the world if the human race just vanished off the face of the earth.

i own it, it's actually a great read and really inspired me with writing fiction and working on RPG stuff.

Yeah, I particularly enjoyed the chapters on the decay of a house or what would happen to New York. So cool.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There are people in this world who can not separate ideas and imagination from fact. Really, we all have this problem to some degree. A few of us are so afflicted that "truth" becomes a matter what they expect or want to be the case, and not what is actually likely.

It's a lot like being a child and imagining coming up with your own stories to explain why the moon follows you in the car at night, or how the people in the tv fit in there.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

hooray isn't it fun

Wouldn't that make you vulnerable to turning into a zombie?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The most frighteningly interesting conspiracy that is actually true
    http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=883#more-883
    It involves Dubya's gandaddy trying to overthrow the government!

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

hooray isn't it fun

see, this is the thing: my dad's kind of insane.

he's not a 9/11 truther, he's like their flipside: the kind of guy who believes every world government is barely functionally retarded and is doomed to choke to death on its own stupid and that we best be prepared for when that happens.

i guess it's just like a more arrogant mutation version of a conspiracy theorist. instead of believing that the New World Order and globalism is trying to overtake society, he believes that most of the people in power are stupid and will just fuck it all up eventually.

so my brother and i were raised learning how to fend for ourselves, avoid conflict, etc. because he seriously believed that by the time we were adults, the world was going to start eating itself.

i have a lot of knowledge that, on rational adult reflection, is fucked up and i pity my dad's apocalyptic views.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    yeah, i remember your accounts of childhood life

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    vsove wrote: »

hooray isn't it fun

Everyone likes to think that in moments of unimaginable horror, they'd be that guy who somehow manages to keep it all together and act like a complete badass.

What STALKER has taught me is that if I were ever in a situation like that in real life, I'd either be drunk 24/7 or I'd be eating the barrel of a gun fairly quickly.

Given the amount of canned food at the house, or at the ranch, and potential for more, I'd rather just dig in and wait it out.

Fuck it. Run out of food and can't get anymore? Well, I guess I got a few calibers that would be more than adequate for taking care of my palate and brain.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2008
    my dad is a cop, so he is technically, "the man"

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I find myself hoping for some apocalyptic catastrophe to befall human civilization (that I survive) so that I actually have a chance of making a difference or being important instead of being doomed to a life of unremarkable mediocrity with the knowledge that there are a thousand thousand other shmucks out there on the planet Earth exactly like me with only the most minor of variations in the most superficial of details

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008

hooray isn't it fun

he's not a 9/11 truther, he's like their flipside: the kind of guy who believes every world government is barely functionally retarded and is doomed to choke to death on its own stupid and that we best be prepared for when that happens.

i guess it's just like a more arrogant mutation version of a conspiracy theorist. instead of believing that the New World Order and globalism is trying to overtake society, he believes that most of the people in power are stupid and will just fuck it all up eventually.

so my brother and i were raised learning how to fend for ourselves, avoid conflict, etc. because he seriously believed that by the time we were adults, the world was going to start eating itself.

i have a lot of knowledge that, on rational adult reflection, is fucked up and i pity my dad's apocalyptic views.
    Some people are just ahead of their time.

LightRider on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I find myself hoping for some apocalyptic catastrophe to befall human civilization (that I survive) so that I actually have a chance of making a difference or being important instead of being doomed to a life of unremarkable mediocrity with the knowledge that there are a thousand thousand other shmucks out there on the planet Earth exactly like me with only the most minor of variations in the most superficial of details

I just take comfort in the fact that I'm pretty awesome and it allows me to overcome feelings of mediocrity.

I mean my god this shirt is taking over my mind.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    LightRider wrote: »
    I have a dream, that one day, we will be judged not by the links in our sigs, but by the contents of our posts.
    hahahahaa

You cretin.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008

yeah, all that stuff is true.

i mean, i think my dad is a good man and stuff, and i don't think my brother and i were harmed by how he raised us, but there's a lot of stuff he did (teaching me at 10 years old how to make explosives, pipe bombs especially) that i never questioned as a kid but as an adult i think on it and say whoa, wait a minute.

i mean, a lot of this stuff isn't knowledge that's particularly special or unique. how to make a pipe bomb is just an internet away for most people.

but this is your father showing you how to do these things and getting you to make them and toss em off in a field so he knows you are ready.

it's pretty fucked

Pony on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    is it just me, or does steve carrell really only play one character?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

steve carrell

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    there is a big ass bus owned by my next door neighbors that's all painted up with a bunch of 9/11 truther slogans and a link to some website. this is in canada

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

i mean, i think my dad is a good man and stuff, and i don't think my brother and i were harmed by how he raised us, but there's a lot of stuff he did (teaching me at 10 years old how to make explosives, pipe bombs especially) that i never questioned as a kid but as an adult i think on it and say whoa, wait a minute.

i mean, a lot of this stuff isn't knowledge that's particularly special or unique. how to make a pipe bomb is just an internet away for most people.

but this is your father showing you how to do these things and getting you to make them and toss em off in a field so he knows you are ready.

it's pretty fucked

Did you run out of your house at an early age, carrying your infant brother, only to barely escape a raging inferno with your life?

I don't want to alarm you, but you might be Dean Winchester.

Has your father mentioned hunting demons at any point?

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    anarchists make me laugh

my friend's boyfriend is an anarchist

i asked her, 'do they have meetings'

she said yes, and didn't understand why i found it so funny
    ahahahahaha
    I've come across a few Anarchy groups, and I've always asked if they have a person in charge.

The answer is always yes, and I always giggle.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    As7 wrote: »
    There are people in this world who can not separate ideas and imagination from fact. Really, we all have this problem to some degree. A few of us are so afflicted that "truth" becomes a matter what they expect or want to be the case, and not what is actually likely.

It's a lot like being a child and imagining coming up with your own stories to explain why the moon follows you in the car at night, or how the people in the tv fit in there.
    I like this post a lot.

You see, I don't want this to be true, I really truely don't. I'd rather there be a bunch of guys running around in caves that were lucky enough to knock down some buildings. I'd be totally happier if that were the case because then the threat isn't as great. I wish I could unlearn the things I've learned and go back to being an ignorant fuckstick like the many fine people here.

But seeing as how I'm not a child, and am able to process information to synthesize reality, the "lucky guys in caves" thing isn't holding water.

LightRider on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

hooray isn't it fun

Some people are just ahead of their time.

Fuck you.

My dad's got some god damn mental illness and he needs help.

Don't you try to praise that fact. At best you can acknowledge the upsides of it but still furrow your brow at the fucked up parts.

People like you only contribute to that sort of self-important insanity and for that you can go fuck yourself, you suburb-living pissant white boy who doesn't know the god damn world outside of blogs.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Have you seen Little Miss Sunshine?

It's really good.

He plays a gay, suicidal, scholar of Marcel Proust.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    hahaha, thanks for calling us all ignorant fucksticks

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I like this post a lot.

You see, I don't want this to be true, I really truely don't. I'd rather there be a bunch of guys running around in caves that were lucky enough to knock down some buildings. I'd be totally happier if that were the case because then the threat isn't as great. I wish I could unlearn the things I've learned and go back to being an ignorant fuckstick like the many fine people here.

But seeing as how I'm not a child, and am able to process information to synthesize reality, the "lucky guys in caves" thing isn't holding water.

See I process information to 'synthesize reality' and figure that it's just a security net that's supposed to cover 300 million people and a multitude of entry points into the country, plus the (at that point) disbelief that something like that could happen that caused 9/11.

But hey your thing works too.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Dublo7 wrote: »

It's really good.

oh, that's right, that's actually one of my favourite movie characters

he's probably just typecast then

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

kind of? but it's not really a stereotype or anything, he tends to just play a normal guy with varying levels of intelligence so I dunno, it doesn't bug me the way michael cera does

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I like this post a lot.

Oh dear god! TRAMBOPALINE!

Prohass on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Pony I really do think he has a mental illness
    He's not just a smug idiot
    He really can't understand that his delusions are not reality

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited December 2008

It's really good.

I really loved the movie, and Carrell's character.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008

it's pretty fucked

Did you run out of your house at an early age, carrying your infant brother, only to barely escape a raging inferno with your life?

well i am dashingly handsome and flippant towards authority figures.

but no

no my dad's big fear during the late 80's was that Canada was becoming so socialist that the US would see us cozying up to the USSR and invade us "for our own good"

of course the USSR fell apart and that never happened.

but my father still sees the US government as this mouth-foaming angry dog that is going to eventually maul everyone close to it

Pony on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

It's really good.

also anchorman, to some extent

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    my favourite thing is people who say "Don't be sheep and listen to what the media tells you! Believe in X conspiracy theory instead. We question ourselves and don't listen to what THE MAN wants us to be told."

way to go, fuckstick

you've decided to think for yourself by believing contrarily to the majority?

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    hahaha, thanks for calling us all ignorant fucksticks
    Welcome!

LightRider on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

it's pretty fucked

but no

no my dad's big fear during the late 80's was that Canada was becoming so socialist that the US would see us cozying up to the USSR and invade us "for our own good"

but my father still sees the US government as this mouth-foaming angry dog that is going to eventually maul everyone close to it

That's unfortunate. I have a couple of friends who are kind of on the edge of the whole 'the US is a dictatorship that will someday invade Canada' conspiracy, but nothing to that level.

However I've just been watching Season One of Supernatural so I had to make the post.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited December 2008

it's pretty fucked

but no

Did he own a copy of The Turner Diaries?

BusterK on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

It's really good.

I really loved the movie, and Carrell's character.

yeah, it's one of my favourites

apart from relating really well to the main character, i enjoy how one of the main characters dies halfway through the movie, but they still keep going

to me, that's a pretty great summary of how weird and awesome and shitty life can be all at once

i also like the complete rejection of beauty pageants

it's just a really well-made movie

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    BusterK wrote: »
    Pony I really do think he has a mental illness
    He's not just a smug idiot
    He really can't understand that his delusions are not reality

well he's a smug idiot, that is for sure

but i do think he's got like borderline personality disorder or something similar, not just because of the crazy anarchist stuff but also other things.

i feel sorry for my dad and i hope one day he gets help that doesn't come from the bottom of a whiskey bottle

Pony on
This discussion has been closed.