As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pulled over for speeding...what now?

Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I live in Gresham, OR and I was just pulled over for speeding at about 7pm tonight. I pulled around two slower cars traveling down a four lane highway and did 55-60 in a 40 zone. Saw the cop sitting at the top of the hill and pulled into the far lane, parking in a supermarket parking lot.

I gave him my Drivers License and insurance (its my girlfriends car) and dug around until I found my registration.

I answered honestly that I was speeding 15 to 20 miles over the limit and remained polite, and he told me how dangerous it was etc., and noted that my license was about to expire and that it was my responsibility to take care of it. The weird thing is my license says "expires 12.10.09". Anyway, the officer went back to his patrol car for a few minutes. When he came back he gave me my shit back and went over how much it WOULD be for the kind of violation I just committed. I apologized and he let me on my way.

Then it hit me. Did I get a ticket? He certainly didn't give me anything, nor did he write anything on any pad. When he talked about fines, he certainly didn't say under certain terms if I would be paying any. So how can I tell? I'm worried that I've just cost myself 400 dollars 13 days before Christmas over something dumb.

Amusingly when I picked my girlfriend up and headed in the opposite direction, the cop was at the top of the hill, this time with a few teenagers with their hands on top of their vehicle. :P

Long story short I need to know if i have any fines to pay or not.

sci+fi+wasabi.png
Sci-Fi Wasabi on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    He didn't hand you anything, you don't have a ticket. The ticket is a summons to court, and you don't have a summons, so there's no fine, nothing. He's letting you off with a warning.

Good move not correcting him on the driver's license thing, though. That might have gotten you written up.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Did you sign anything?

It sounds like you got a warning, but normally you have to sign that you received a ticket.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Unless you were handed a ticket, and signed it, I don't think you've got anything to worry about.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah my step-dad is a cop and I fear that guy so much I wouldn't correct him on the date of an expired carton of milk. Plus, I only noticed the trip up after the fact.

So if I was physically pulled over and received no ticket, I'm good? Nothing in the mail or any shit like that?

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah my step-dad is a cop and I fear that guy so much I wouldn't correct him on the date of an expired carton of milk. Plus, I only noticed the trip up after the fact.

So if I was physically pulled over and received no ticket, I'm good? Nothing in the mail or any shit like that?

Nope. You didn't get a ticket, you didn't sign a ticket, thus there is no ticket.

The big tip-off is that he told you how much it would cost, that was your warning. So don't speed anymore. :P

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Glaeal wrote: »
    Unless you were handed a ticket, and signed it, I don't think you've got anything to worry about.

Yep, if you get a ticket you have to sign it (saying you'll appear in court). You got let off.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    No ticket, just a warning. Be sure to never speed in that area again!

Another case for being honest. On the few times I've been pulled over, I never lied; in my mind, I'd rather have the driver know they were speeding than someone who doesn't even know how fast they were going.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yup yup yup

If you did not sign/receive anything from said cop, if they *DO* happen to send you something in the mail you can take that ass to court and win faster than you can say "Miranda rights"

They MUST give you a copy

you MUST have SIGNED it

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    He didn't hand you anything, you don't have a ticket.

Not necessarily.

He can always get it in the mail.
    you MUST have SIGNED it

This is very incorrect. You don't have to so much as touch a ticket to have one filed on you.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've been pulled over dozens of times for speeding. I have had it go one of 3 ways.

One they give you a ticket. (you know you got it they explain how much you pay and give you options to go to court on X date and dispute. You have a piece of paper)

They give you a written warning. There is no fine but there is a paper trail of you being pulled over for a minor violation and not cited for it.

They give you a verbal warning. It sounds like this is the case. If the cop was waiting under a tree and you saw him pull other people over he was there to write tickets. If he had given you one I am sure he would have actually handed it to you.

Just make sure you are not pulled over again by the same cop I can tell you from experience IT DOES NOT GO WELL!! especially if while digging for your registration you happen upon the prior warning note. Man that sucked.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What states do you live in where you have to sign a ticket when a cop writes you one? I live in Michigan and we don't sign anything.

Edit: sorry, this doesn't ave anything to do with the topic.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mighty wrote: »
    yup yup yup

If you did not sign/receive anything from said cop, if they *DO* happen to send you something in the mail you can take that ass to court and win faster than you can say "Miranda rights"

They MUST give you a copy

you MUST have SIGNED it

Saying crap like this, without qualification, is a terrific way to screw people up.

It's going to vary from state to state, and it'll even vary within a single state. In my state, cops have both regular tickets (where you write one copy and it transfers through carbon paper to several copies underneath) and E-tickets (where a machine in the car prints the ticket out). You have to sign the regular tickets, but just being handed the E-ticket is presumed to be signing your bond, so no signature is required.

And even if you don't get served a summons at the scene, state law might allow for them to serve you a summons in the mail.

From the facts in this case (his subsequent stop of the kids), it does sound like the cop gave the OP a warning. My guess is that he was looking for somebody to arrest, and he was using traffic violations as probable cause to make a stop and get up close to the vehicle.

Peeps Chicken on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I agree it's probably a verbal warning and don't start worrying about it unless you get something in the mail. 'Cause yeah, they usually give you a ticket when they give you a ticket. Even my warning was written.

YMMV depending on the state though.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.