As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gourmet coffee for a gift

DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I am thinking of getting my younger brother some nice gourmet coffee for a gift this year. Since I don't drink coffee myself, I don't know what to look for, or what is good. I am not looking for simply a sealed bag of Dunkins or Starbucks, but something more fancyish. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

"I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
DragonPup on

• EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you have a local roaster, that's the way to go because you give him an idea of what's around. Kenya AA is a common, fairly priced, good coffee that a lot of people enjoy (that's where the coffee's from, kind of like talking about Champagne (it's from Champagne, France) or Gruyere (from Gruyere, Switzerland)).

If not, there's a handful of gourmet coffee places online. Kade's coffee, Peets, Coffeefool, etc.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm admittedly quite biased on this front (as their café is just a stone's throw away from me), but I want to second the recommendation of Kade's. They have some great stuff for the price.

Buying from a local coffee bean seller can be a fantastic experience, but it can also end pretty badly if you don't know much about coffee. Anecdotal, but: I'd bought beans from the same place for ages, and a girl I was dating thought that a few bags would make a great gift. She presented me with three bags -- labeled "Kenya", "French", and "Premium"(?!) -- and all three bags were filled with especially scraggly-looking house blend beans. I've been a little hesitant to recommend "buy local!!" ever since. :/

wasted pixels on
  • DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Another question; How much coffee does a 12oz or 16oz bag make?

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It depends on a few factors, but I usually get about 35 to 40 cups out of a pound of coffee.

wasted pixels on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Buy fair traded coffee, please.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There's always Civet coffee (not entirely convinced it's actually any good but my brother got some last year as a gift and it was quite funny).

Rook on
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Buy fair traded coffee, please.

I'm not too convinced that favouring a few producers over others and paying them more will do much except create lots of local inequalities (which will drive up the prices for everyone who doesn't get Fairtrade prices, making their lives worse). I do admire the aim and spirit behind it though.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Green Mountain Coffee is one of my favorites and their kona is great. their Jamican Blue Mountain is fantastic but spendy.

::edit:: Their website seems to be screwy at the moment but check them out.

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I know you said no Dunkin or Starbucks, but you should check out the Black Apron blends from starbucks if you're looking for something that is a no-brainer win. I'm trying to think of one paticular blend I was quiet fond of that goes good with cinamin but i'm drawing a blank here.

Jokerman on
  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If your brother has a grinder at home then remember to buy whole beans rather than pre-ground. It might also help to know how he drinks his coffee as many places selling freshly roasted beans will have different blends available for different brewing methods. See if there is a local roaster in your area and have a chat to them about what you're after.

TheRealBadger on
  • Maxim TomatoMaxim Tomato Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mmmm, kopi luwak!
    kopi_luwak.jpg

Maxim Tomato on