Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Game ON] Star Wars RPG: a slick WEG D6 adventure starts on page 4

135678

Posts

  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    STAR WARS
    (No fancy episode title for now, unfortunately)

    Elotahn System, Hoddarim Sector. What was once a sparse but thriving region containing a busy hyperspace lane off the Hydian Way has become isolated and depopulated, as trade routes have shifted and been remapped. Over the last thousand years it has become a ghost sector and a haven for pirates and crime lords. Few ships travel through here except to trade directly with cartels and find work among the fringe.

    Here on the last stop of the Hoddarim Corridor is the tropical planet of Dibuleen. Only its last major spaceport and a few mountain settlements remain inhabited; numerous cities dot the planet's single continent, their silvery-domed buildings swallowed by the jungles.

    Nestled among the cliffs near Dibuleen's spaceport city is the villa of Bello Fante, politician and regional businessman. What is commonly known is this Chevin goes by the local title of 'Presidente' and like most leaders in this sector is of rather shady reputation. No doubt his huge, wrinkly arms are stained up to the elbows in bribes, blackmail, and the black market.

    This is where our main characters have come looking for business. How long they've been lurking in this shady region only they can say, but by whatever means word has gotten to each of them through Fante's goons that the Presidente is looking to hire skilled scoundrels for a particularly big heist against one of his political-economic rivals. Now officially the Chevin always has openings for his official staff of 'bodyguards', 'personal couriers', and 'security technicians', but it's the illegal gig you're actually here for.



    ...
    Currently they are standing in the roofed mezzanine of the villa. Tall white columns are spaced out over white tiles between water fountains and hanging ferns, and the breezy entrance overlooks the courtyard gardens. Impressively long staircases arc around the mezzanine, and at the top plaza several burly, grey-skinned alien bodyguards dressed in sleeveless white suits stand at attention, overseeing the small crowd below.

    This crowd is made up of various hired guns and scoundrels, all here to speak with Bello Fante about a 'job'. Small droids float overhead, snapping holopics of each of them, and already several of these outlaws have been lead up into the villa to receive whatever offers they've been given. They later leave individually without saying much.

    It's clear to and anyone with experience that the Presidente is not going to hand out a large gig to any random thugs. Already a tall reptilian alien and an equine-faced technician are forming a plan together, going about the room and having a few words with some of the more seasoned-looking mercenaries still present. Our main characters have either been overlooked or already spoken with these two and been apparently disregarded. They're looking to speak with Bello Fante together as a team and aiming to be selected for the 'big heist'.


    ...
    With several glances around the mezzanine, our characters can spot five noteworthy individuals (including themselves):

    Denada (Cal Ar'Dinnon, Kaleesh Outlaw Gladiator)
    Name: Cal Ar'Dinnon
    Type: Outlaw Gladiator
    Gender/Species: Male/Kaleesh
    Age: 23 Height: 1.9m Weight: 86kg

    Dexterity 4D
    -Blaster 5D
    -Dodge 5D
    -Melee Combat 6D
    -Melee Parry 5D
    Knowledge 2D
    Mechanical 2D
    Perception 3D
    Strength 4D
    -Brawling 5D
    -Stamina 5D
    Technical 3D
    -Armor Repair 4D
    -First Aid 4D

    Special Abilities:
    Claws: STR+1D damage.

    Move: 10
    Force Sensitive: No
    Force Points: 1
    Dark Side Points: 0
    Character Points: 5

    Equipment:
    Combat Armor (+1D physical and energy), Blaster Pistol (4D), Vibroblade (STR+2D+1, max 6D), 4 medpacs, 1800 credits

    Nefffffff (Moose Dorno, Duros Spacer)
    Type: Duros Spacer
    Gender/Species: Male/Duros
    Age: 22 Height: 1.8m Weight: 86kg

    Dexterity 4D
    -Melee Combat: Knives 5D
    -Pickpocket: 5D
    Knowledge 2D+2
    -Scholar: Mathematics 4D+2
    -Culinary Arts 3D+2
    Mechanical 4D+1
    -Astrogation 6D+1
    -Space Transports 6D+1
    Perception 3D
    -Gambling 5D
    -Persuasion 4D
    Strength 2D
    Technical 2D

    Move: 10
    Force Sensitive: No
    Force Points: 1
    Dark Side Points: 0
    Character Points: 5

    Equipment:
    Chef's Knife (STR+1D), Blaster Pistol (4D), Comlink, Datapad, Flask of Duresian whiskey, 3500 Credits

    Mad Jazz (Harek Loell, Human Ship Technician)
    Name: Harek Loell
    Type: Ship Technician
    Gender/Species: Male/Human
    Age: 24 Height: 1.7m Weight: 68kg

    Dexterity 2D+1
    -Dodge: 3d+1
    Knowledge 3D+1
    -Streetwise 4D+1
    -Languages 4D+1
    Mechanical 3D
    Perception 3D
    -Investigation 4D
    -Bargain 4D
    Strength 2D+1
    Technical 4D
    -Space Transports Repair 5D
    -Starfighter Repair 5D
    -Security 5D

    Move: 10
    Force Sensitive: No
    Force Points: 1
    Dark Side Points: 0
    Character Points: 5

    Equipment: Blaster (4D), Blaster Power Pack, Medpac, Datapad, Comlink, Tool Belt with Fusion Cutter and Plasma Welder, Starship Toolkit, Security Systems Toolkit, 3690 Credits

    El Skid (Mons Jiru, Human Bounty Hunter)
    Name: Mons Jiru
    Type: Bounty Hunter
    Gender/Species: Male/Human
    Age: 34 Height: 1.8m Weight: 86kg

    Dexterity 3D+1
    -Dodge 4D+1
    -Blaster4D+1
    Knowledge 3D+2
    -Streetwise 4D+2
    Mechanical 2D
    -Space Transports 3D
    Perception 4D
    -Investigation 5D
    -Persuasion 6D
    Strength 3D
    -Brawling 4D
    Technical 2D

    Move: 10
    Force Sensitive: yes
    Force Points: 2
    Dark Side Points: 0
    Character Points: 5

    Equipment:
    Bounty Hunter Armour (+2D physical, +1D energy) with built-in Comlink, Air Supply, Brawling Spikes (STR+1D), blaster holster and arm-mounted datapad, Heavy Blaster Pistol (5D), 2 power packs, 2 Medpacs, 2 gas grenades (5D stun), 100 credits

    Horeshoe (Chen Kalmurra, Human Mercenary)
    Chen Kalmurra
    Type: Mercenary
    Gender/Species: Male/Human
    Age: 27 Height: 1.9 meters Weight: 82 kg

    Dexterity 3D+2
    Blaster 4D+2
    Dodge 4D+2
    Knowledge 3D
    Intimidation 4D
    Mechanical 2D+1
    Starship Gunnery 3D+2
    Perception 3D
    Search 4D
    Strength 3D+2
    Brawling 4D+2
    Stamina 4D+2
    Technical 2D+1

    Move: 10
    Force Sensitive: No
    Force Points: 1
    Dark Side Points: 0
    Character Points: 5

    Equipment: Heavy Blaster Carbine (5D+1), Combat Suit (+1D+1 physical, +2 Energy, limbs & torso), Night Vision Visor (+2D in low-light conditions), Breath Mask, Comlink, 4 Fragmentation Grenades (5D/4D/3D/2D), 2 Blaster Power Packs, 2 Medpacs, Bandolier, 800 Credits

    Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This round has started over a day early. This round ends and the next round begins Saturday 11:00PM CST (Midnight Eastern).

    Your first post should include a physical description. Something with about three or four main characteristics of appearance and/or mannerism, plus any obvious equipment you're showing off. It should be brief, visual, and distinct, for your fellow players to remember you by easily.

    I'd suggest the first character to take their action should step up and take initiative on forming a group, and everyone else follow suit. I don't want to make it fell too forced, but as GM I'm not going to split up the players into two different missions, so clearly that's the logical direction you'll be taking.

    EDIT: That of course leaves me plenty of time to pop in to answer questions and resolve minor skill checks before then (Perception to look at surrounding details, Knowledge skills for detailed info you might not otherwise know, or try an action I didn't initially suggest, like picking a pocket or cutting an inappropriately large hole in the floor). But the main progression of rounds and scenes will be resolved at the end of each day, the next ones starting starting this Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and so on.

    EDIT: You can perform your dice rolls using Invisible Castle, or you can ask me to roll for you, if you prefer suspense and fiat. I've decided to stick with 2nd R&E's Wild Die rule. The last die you or the GM rolls on skill/attribute checks will be considered the Wild Die. If it rolls a 6, roll another die and add it to the total (repeat if it rolls another 6). If it's a 1, a 'complication' occurs. It's up to the Game Master to decide what happens on a 1, but in this game I will be either adding it up normally or devising an appropriate complication. It's not a critical failure, so you may pass the exact check normally but some unexpected issue comes up and has to be dealt with.

    Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Mad JazzMad Jazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That inventory sounds good, but I'd like to also add a Blaster, a power pack, and a medkit for 625 credits altogether (which should leave me with 3690). You can never be too careful, after all. I suppose I'll also get this thing started, RP wise.

    How the hell did I get myself into this?

    That was the question that ran through Harek Loell's mind over and over as he surveyed the room full of bounty hunters, thugs, spacers, con artists, mercenaries, and outlaws. He certainly didn't stand out physically, with his close-cropped brown hair and average build slightly concealed by worn but sturdy clothes. He was outgunned by almost everyone in the room as well; aside from the small blaster he picked up for those emergency situations, Harek's utility belt was decked out with the tools of a ship's mechanic.

    I never wanted to be a big time criminal. I just wanted to see the galaxy, and here I am, falling in with all sorts of shady characters. How the hell did I get myself into this?

    Harek carried himself with the strange combination of the confidence of a man who is good at his trade and knows it, and the uncertainty of someone who finds himself in over his head. He had mostly been hanging back and observing all of the "guests" to try and get a feel for the situation.

    Ok, relax. You're no criminal mastermind, but you've had to do some jobs of dubious legality before. This is just...bigger. And this presidente guy sure won't pick an unknown ship mechanic out of a pack of bounty hunters to do a job, so you'd better get started finding a team to work with.

    Glancing around the room, Harek noticed a Duro dressed as a starship crewman of some sort standing by himself. Figuring he should start in an area he knows something about, Harek sauntered over to try and start forging alliances.

    "So, friend, what do you make of all this?"
    That duro is moose, if that wasn't clear enough ;-)

    Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Guys, the game has begun. This is the In-Character and Out-Of-Character thread.

    You still have one more day to post (or let me know you're out of town/quit the game already), but that would have been a nice 25 extra hours for someone to have introduced their character and offer to put together a team. :P

    EDIT: Speak of the devil, just as I was posting about nobody posting. Hold on and let me read that...

    Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Mad JazzMad Jazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Heh, I would've posted it about 9 hours ago, but I had to go to stupid work.

    Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My company shut down from Xmas eve until the 5th. I'm not sure I even remember how to do work. :P

    I'll make a quick suggestion that breaking up your RP conversations into back & forth exchanges (dependent upon specific players responding within a timely manner, anyway) will probably have trouble fitting the pace of this game. Bouncing comments back and forth half a dozen times might take three or four days to cover points you could have presented in a single chunk, while I'm intending to have moved the game off-world and into some real action by then.

    And I say that just as a hypothetical; your post is fine and I say so directly if it weren't. but as food for thought, if everyone talked rhetorically, begged the question, and asked 'go on' to each one-sentence remark, that'd be a problem. So everyone just try to help eachother out and give enough dialogue to work with, as I'll be attempting to do with NPC dialogue, possible skill actions you can take and associated difficulty numbers.

    Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sorry I haven't posted, Utsanomiko. I've started like 3 times, gotten halfway through, and gotten interrupted :(

    Will post something shortly...

    El Skid on
    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

    wrath God fear traitor evil
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Cal walked slowly through the mezzanine, admiring the hanging plants and clean architecture. A place like this was in stark contrast to the dirt and darkness of Nar Kreeta. He had come far, but still had a long way to go.

    I should find a team. I doubt I'll get this job alone.

    Cal looked around the room, passing quickly over the weaklings and cowards, and settled on a pair of space-hands that had struck up a conversation. He could fight, but without a way to get to the action he'd be useless. He adjusted the worn cloth wrapped around his shoulders and strode quietly toward what he hoped would soon be his compatriots.

    His armor, battle-scarred from years of use, fit his body well, and looked as though it probably never came off. His face-mask had a similar appearance, cracked in places, repaired in others. It was once bone white, but had been stained a mottled brown from too much blood and dirt. His scarred and weather-worn skin made him look older than he was. In truth, he felt that way too.

    "You two," he said firmly, "we should join our strengths."

    Denada on
  • nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Moose glanced around the room. He didn't usually like to participate in "casting calls" for jobs like this, but he had racked up a serious debt the night before in a game of cards and decided that getting off-world was paramount to his survival. So far things seemed to be going well. He was already making small-talk with a fellow spacer, and the headache he woke up with was beginning to dissipate.

    Before long a large alien in body armor approached and joined the conversation. Things were moving along nicely, and Moose hoped that soon he would be able to get off this planet, perhaps with some new allies in tow.

    nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mons Jiru surveyed the motley crew of scavengers and scum with growing disapproval. Standing in his newly-modified custom-made green-and-white suit, he wondered silently what had brought him here... and knew it was his girlfriend's fault. Before she had come along, he'd been happy taking a wide variety of work... but for some reason he was being far more selective with his contracts of late.

    Just this week he'd turned down what would have been a simple contract to return the family of a doctor to a local crime lord- apparently the doctor's family had been threatened if the crime lord's father wasn't saved...and when he had passed away, they had fled the planet. And so now he was low on funds, and when he heard about a mission to rob a crime lord here, he had jumped at the chance.... It was not his usual line of work, but he reasoned that the crime lord deserved this more than a simple family who had done nothing to anyone.

    I guess I'd better make the most of this he thought, looking around through the scum to try to find some confident people to join up with- he walked around casually, eavesdropping in on conversations to try and pick out partners who a) wouldn't stab him in the back at the first opportunity, b) were serious about getting the prime contract out of this, and c) seemed competent.

    This might take a while, he thought idly.

    El Skid on
    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

    wrath God fear traitor evil
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's today's deadline. Everyone but Horeshoe has posted and I've gotten a good impression of what everyone else is doing. The current round ends and the next round begins Sunday 11:00PM CST (Midnight Eastern).


    Eventually one of Fante's assistants comes down the stairs to pick another interviewee, and one of our characters points out that they're all together, and wish to go in on the same job. The white-suited human looks over his list of names, takes a few more minutes upstairs to make arrangements, and returns to bring the new team back inside.

    They're led into a luxuriously-sized interior office filled with leather upholstered furniture and dominated by a very low lacquered desk, looking like a giant black bench decorated with ash trays. The walls are lined with shelves containing text documents, display cases of ceremonial daggers, and ancient alien artwork.

    “Dee Presedente will see you shortly. Please do not sit in dee furniture,” the assistant says with an odd accent. After only a couple seconds, the lights dim and a holoprojector flickers to life, placing a full-sized image of the Chevin business mogul behind the desk. His body is well over two meters in height, and dominated by a massive wrinkled head with a long snout, his mouth hanging down almost to his feet. Bello Fante is dressed in purple and white robes with a tall round cap atop his head; the attire teeters between stately and tacky.

    “Well hello there, all of you,” he remarks with a big cigarra jutting between his teeth. “Other business prevents me from being present right now, but your referrals all seem to be in order... and it looks like you've assembled yourselves into a real rounded team. That's initiative, I like that.”

    “Now then...” Fante puts out his cigarra into an ashtray held by some attendant off-camera. “I'm going to make you an offer that, well... I suppose you can refuse it, if you want.” He shrugs. “There's free passage back to the Tillis system and 500 creds each for your troubles if you're not up to it. But for an 18 thousand credit payout for your team, I think you'll take it.”

    basically, I've acquired the rights to some plans from one of my competitors in Hoddarmin's little manufacturing circle, and I'll be sending you five to go to their headquarters in a nearby system and pick it up. No ceremony or fan-fare, just get inside, grab the files, and walk out. My pilot will pick you up right afterward.”

    He raises his hands up preemptively before anyone speaks up. “My assistant, Mr Meers, will fill you out in all the details and provide you full instructions; I'm here only to see my employees and give an official word. Now good day to all of you, good luck, and do a quick, smooth job.” His hologram fades away and the room lights return.



    Meers the assistant sets a reinforced storage case down on the desk and unlocks it. He removes a data stick and holds it up to the group (he transfers its contents to everyone with a datapad). “Dee target is dee Fasnoir Fabircations offices on Tajjoy, half a day off the Corridor,” he details your heist in detail as seriously as his tinny accent will manage. “Dee offices are not in an outwardly-marked building, so use dee first file on your datapads on any public terminal and it will pull its location and floorplans for you. You must enter discretely and undetected if possible, but lethal force may bee needed. Dee documents Presidente Fanta needs will be in their manufacturing document archives, dee second file you now have will help decrypt and identify it. Copy it and get out by any means possible.”

    “Your pilot is Stemla Knuklenobb, find him in dee spaceport city on Platform 04. He will transport you there and back to Dibuleen afterwards. If you do not have big enough data-storage with you, you will have to purchase one on Tajjoy. Do not use a device you purchased on this planet, it will not much worse for us if you are caught with it.”



    If the player-characters have any specific questions about the job or payment, they can ask Meers now, who will go into more detail on the matter but will avoid answering questions about Bello Fante or unrelated discussion.

    There is a speeder outside the villa driven by the staff that will take the team to the spaceport city. They can either go straight to find their transport on Platform 04 and meet the pilot or take the rest of their turn to shop for additional items to buy.

    You can use your Technical skills on your datapads to look through those new files you received. Now don't cheat at rolling; you won't be helping anyone, least of all yourself.

    An Easy Computer Programming/Repair roll of 8 reveals:
    Both are data-retrieval programs, as mentioned. They're not very complex but are otherwise rather large.

    A Moderate Computer Programming/Repair roll of 13 reveals:
    The first program is designed to tap directly into a public information terminal and send a large number of requests on multiple connections, bypassing the main interface. It uses a lot of search parameters to narrow down the Fasnoir Fabircations offices' location, mainly through process of elimination after locating other buildings and monitoring traffic from orbital snapshots.

    The second is much the same kind of terminal-communication program, but uses a hefty decryption script to search for a set of blueprints labeled "AR_D77".

    Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Mad JazzMad Jazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    4d6=15 Huzzah!

    "Mister Meers, I have a couple of questions, if I may.

    First, what kind of security are we talking about here? Cameras, sensors, scanners, do we have access to any information at all without actually going to the building? I don't know about the rest of my new teammates, but I'm not terribly excited about the prospect of walking into the teeth of a mega security system. I mean, I can work with that, but it won't be pretty and it won't be quiet.

    Second, how are we being paid? I don't want to wake up and find Fasnoir Fabrications thugs with blasters in my face because of a sloppy trail leading from that bit of data to our accounts."
    I tried to fit enough into this so it won't slow down the pacing too much. I'm trying to get used to pbp, this is the first time I've done it, and I appreciate nudges in the right direction

    Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ((That works perfectly fine. Also, you can put your non-GM-only OOC stuff into parenthesis, which is easier to read and is clearer on what shouldn't be read.))

    "Our understanding is security is high-tech but not very tight once inside. You will be able to pull a floorplan off a public terminal. But camera locations and security checks will only be ascertainable inside."

    "You will be paid on your return in hard Imperial coinage, depositable in any major bank. Various originating sources, nothing with an obvious connection to the job. You think dee Presidente would have his handprints on any of this?"

    Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    "I think a percentage of our payent up front would be a reasonable request, Mister Meers. Being in the business, I know how much trouble you can make for us if we thought we could skip town with whatever cash, and I'm sure I can convince my...associates that it would be a bad career move. Besides, we'll almost certainly have expenses to cover beforehand, and I'd hate for one of my associates to come into the mission ill-prepared just because we didn't have the necessary cash on hand to stock up on everything we'll be needing. I think a quarter of our promised price should be sufficient..."
    Persuasion roll to get him to agree to giving us money up front: 5d6 = 21 (yay for the wild die). If you want to barter about the number after we can do that, but I'd take the 25 percent with no further bartering :D

    El Skid on
    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

    wrath God fear traitor evil
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    "It is a reasonable request," Meers points out. "But the money is not my responsibility and not in my hands. You will be paid when your pilot is paid: tomorrow, on your return, in dee spaceport. Not here in dee Presidente's retreat."

    Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    2d6=7 nuts!

    While the others asked their questions Moose poked around the files that had been uploaded onto his datapad. He found nothing of interest, or at least nothing he could understand. Computer programming never was his forte.

    "I've got a question." He said suddenly.

    "What if we don't want to come back to this planet. How will we get paid?"

    nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Meers gives sort of a squinty look with one raised eyebrow. "Then maybe you should be flying jobs with your own ship, yes? Look, our pilot of ours has a very specific job. He cannot be lingering on Tajjoy longer than it takes to pick you up and return immediately here. And the paymaster, he is not very flexible with his arrangements. If you want to change his arrangements, I would have to ask Presidente Fante, and dee Presidente does not want to change his arrangements. It is a much bigger thing than you."

    "This planet is dee only major port in this corner of the sector. If anyone wants to leave Tajjoy for brighter places, they will have to come here. No questions about it."

    ((For the record, everyone can take more than one action during scenes like this, especially when you're not doing anything time-specific. You can state what you intend to do in the city after leaving the villa if you want to attempt something other than immediately getting on the ship. You're not restricted to just the actions I suggested either (El Skid's Persuasion attempt, or you could go back and try chatting up some of the other guests before leaving, for example), but I try to suggest obvious choices and outline just how much time you have.))

    Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Cal stands quietly with his long arms crossed, listening intently to the discussion. He didn't care to waste time thanking his employer for being hired. Certainly one could assume that he is appreciative of the assignment.

    Denada on
  • Mad JazzMad Jazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Having reached what seemed to be the bottom of the information well, Harek decided it would be prudent to try and gather a few more facts about their target. After listening to his companions ask their own questions, he headed out into the city to find some info on the Fasnoir Fabrications facility.
    4d6+1=20 3d6=13
    33 total, if I read the rules right. Yay for wild dice indeed.

    That was a streetwise roll to find the best place to go for information (the second roll is for the 3(!) sixes I got because I didn't realize I could just have invisible castle do that for me)

    And now, an investigation roll to try and find some information from the locals about the kind of illicit things FF might be involved in, what sort of security to expect, etc.
    4d6.open(6)=27

    I wish I had this sort of luck with real dice. Oh, if you want me to roll different checks, just let me know.

    Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mad Jazz- I believe only the last die is supposed to be a wild die.

    I recommend instead of rerolling after the fact, using InvisibleCastle to autoreroll the last die, so for 4d6+1, you would use: 3d6+1d6.open(6)+1 and take note of the second total to make sure it isnt a 1.

    So for your roll above the last die open ended only, giving a +5 to 20, so 25 total.

    Is that right, Mr. GM sir?

    El Skid on
    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

    wrath God fear traitor evil
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ((Only the wild dice itself is rerolled, and only if it itself gets a 6; the rest of the dice are always rolled as normal. I'm only going to count the first reroll on the Streetwise roll, making its total be 25, and count the first four rolls on the Investigation, which would be 17. Still very good rolls.))

    After returning to the Spaceport City, Harek Loell spends an hour or so searching for some information about FF and gossip on its influence within the criminal world.
    Public information seems to indicate Fasnoir Fabircations is a fairly small but prolific manufacturing company that buys from a number of refineries across the sector and produces goods on contract to various customers. They don't do their own engineering or design, it's exclusively by their clients' manufacturing plans. Most of their factories are in the Hoddarim Corridor worlds but their HQ is on the remote planet Tajjoy. They mostly seem to provide the manufacturing of custom tools and machine parts for clients.

    But as a criminal operation there seems to be no information about FF. Trying to drop a line about the underworld as a stranger on a strange planet, even as deserted as this one, is not an easy task. Every source gives public information but has nothing about a possible shady side to the company. Harek Loell only hears a tidbit of gossip when he goes to the lounge outside the port docking platforms and has a few words with a free trader hanging out there, waiting for his clients to pick up their cargo. The lounge is an otherwise empty place, tables spaced widely apart as if three times as many had been removed due to lack of business.

    "I may've shipped for FF before... Oh yeah, they lie about what they ship. Sometimes it's welders and microdrivers, sure, but I know some of those crates had blasters. Not these local-made laser rifles neither, they gave me the kind the big galactic corporations develop. No clue where they were going, I just took them to their warehouses on Oltzo."

    The FF discussion ends there and you leave a little bit later.

    Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Mad JazzMad Jazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ((ah, that makes a lot more sense. I was wondering how I got so awesome at stuff.))

    Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    "I may've run a little security from time to time. Sometimes they move what they say they do, sometimes they don't."

    Chen spit some t'bac-colored saliva out near Harek's feet.

    "Sounds like you got something going and you might need a little help with it. Tell you what... I'll give you a hand, you give me a cut, and I won't mention it to anyone from Fasnoir. Savvy?"

    One look at the rough-faced, dark-haired man gave Harek no doubt that he was serious... and the blaster pistol at his side spoke loudly enough on its own.

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Mad JazzMad Jazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ((err, I'm not actually sure what that's in response to. My security questions were to Presidente's aide while we were all present, and then I went off on my own to do some scouting.))

    Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ((Please excuse Horeshoe, he's a little late and disoriented. Hopefully he'll catch up next round. A note concerning PC to PC social interactions: roleplaying and OOC player agreements will handle anything you might use a skill roll to get your way (such as Intimidation). You don't automatically dictate other characters just by rolling. So Loell is free to doubt Chen the mercenary if you find him odd/suspicious, though Horeshoe can still present his character as seeming that serious. It is awfully nice of him to offer you a cut when you've each been offered equal cuts, though. :P ))

    ((Also, the blaster at Chen's side is a heavy carbine, and it'll speak a lot louder than anyone else's sidearm. Unless Horseshoe is changing his inventory))

    Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ((yes you went off on your own to do some scouting and one of the people you talked to was Chen. I basically went with the GM's post on an example of what one of the people you talked to said and took it from there.))

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ((I didn't say anything about Chen; Chen and the other PCs remain at the villa until their players state they do something go elsewhere. So far only Loell has said he will go somewhere before heading to platform 04.))

    ((And the only person I specified he spoke with was an unnamed trader. In fact, that spoiler was only for Mad Jazz to read, as it dealt with what his character did with nobody else around, unless Chen decided to tag along the whole time (which you didn't mention mention in you post so we had no idea where/when you were talking). If I'm going to include another PC in an investigation/knowledge check, I'll provide the player with the relevant knowledge. If you want to be privy to specific information, Ask me or make a skill check.))

    Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ((As soon as the discussion is done in the villa, Cal will head to Platform 04 and wait there. Or in a dark, quiet corner of a nearby bar if there is one.))

    Denada on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ((A quick peek in the bar/lounge nearest to the platform reveals it is utterly quiet but not at all dark. Every table is at least 10-15 meters apart in that place, windows surround all the walls and let the morning light in to this breezy, empty hall.))

    ((If you hang around long enough, you might see your mechanic teammate, Harek Loell, come in, sit down with another person on the other side of the lounge for nearly half an hour, before leaving again.))

    Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ((Mmm, bright lights and big windows make Cal nervous. He wouldn't stay there long. If he can he'll just wait inside the ship.))

    Denada on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    ((I didn't say anything about Chen; Chen and the other PCs remain at the villa until their players state they do something go elsewhere. So far only Loell has said he will go somewhere before heading to platform 04.))

    ((And the only person I specified he spoke with was an unnamed trader. In fact, that spoiler was only for Mad Jazz to read, as it dealt with what his character did with nobody else around, unless Chen decided to tag along the whole time (which you didn't mention mention in you post so we had no idea where/when you were talking). If I'm going to include another PC in an investigation/knowledge check, I'll provide the player with the relevant knowledge. If you want to be privy to specific information, Ask me or make a skill check.))

    ((Dude if player improvisation is that big of a problem for you, you may not want me in the game. I tend to just go for stuff to keep things going so long as it doesn't compromise mechanics/story. All I did was find a way to get my guy into things, sheez.))

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ((There's nothing wrong with improvisation; the other players have taken plenty of opportunity to do come up with questions and actions beyond what I suggested and worked themselves into new situations. The confusion arose when you made no indication of when you were speaking, where you went, and it was a bit unclear if you understood where he went or who he was with. I wasn't going to say anything until Mad Jazz also expressed too much confusion to properly respond. I feel characterization doesn't 'keep things going' if it brings in multiple cryptic factors that contradict the GM.))

    ((I'm still not sure how much of that post is misunderstanding of the narrative or whether you're just making your own retcons over the Gamemaster's narration. And I consider reading other player's spoilered knowledge results and overruling the GM to be compromises in mechanics/story; You dictate your characters' choices, I dictate my NPCs and my locations. Star Wars D6 is not a joint-narrative game, and neither is this PBP. What if I gave Loell super-secret information? What if we go to Tajjoy and it's surprisingly a bombed-out wasteland, but you decide to hail your own taxi and go shopping back on Dibuleen at the same time (I've had to deal with similar player actions)?. I need players who can convey where they are and know what's inside their knowledge/perception.))

    ((The OP outlines this game as a brisk-paced adventure with a set run time. Some PBPs are more freeform where you can freely invent your own NPCs and locations and generally do whatever as long as it reasonably fits the rules, but this isn't one of them. It'd prefer if you played like the other players, but if it's not for you, you might find it less frustrating to bail out. It's a little too late for my comfort to recruit a random player, though.))

    Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyway, it's past 100 so that round is over. I think we're all done with the villa anyway and everyone got what they want out of Spaceport City. This new round ends Monday 11:00PM CST.

    Once everyone has been shuttled to Spaceport City, finding platform 04 is simple once it becomes apparent that platforms 02, 03, and about 30 of the next 40 have been either dismantled or converted into other facilities. In fact it seems the entire city in its current form is made up of such structures.


    Sitting atop the elevated pad is an old, mid-sized civilian transport, over sixty meters in length. It stands sort of like a book resting on its spine, with two pairs of boxy engines strapped along the back end. The cockpit sits recessed high on the front end, its pilot can be seen through its wide windows. He lowers the ship's massive boarding plank when he spots the group of mercenaries, and in a moment steps out to speak with them.

    He is a short reptilian individual, with a set of horns along the top and sides of his head. He gives the five of them a skeptical glance before speaking dourly. “You're here for the job offworld? 'Right, Just got the call from that major-domo character of his: five mercenaries. You fit the bill. M'name's Stemla, I'm your pilot for this job. Right, it'll be an eight-hour tip, get on board and get comfortable, just don't bother Fante's other passengers. They're not here for the same business.” He immediately boards the ship and within the hour preps the ship for takeoff.

    ((There's a Moderate Alien Species difficulty of 14 if you're actively curious what Stemla is: ))
    He's a Nosaurian, basically. Skim over a bit of that article if you beat the difficulty by a little bit, give it a good solid read if you roll a lot higher, I suppose.

    ((If any player wants to do one 'last minute' thing on this planet they'll have that span of an hour to do it and run back. But I think everyone's ready to get to their destination.))

    On the ship is five other individuals, 3 humans and two humanoids. All seem to be businessmen or couriers of some sort, dressed in semi-casual attire. They keep to themselves asides from the occasional nod or 'excuse me', and pretty much only say they're heading for Tajjoy 'for business', and give the impression they'll be there for several days or weeks. Clearly not the same sort of gig, whatever they're doing. The ship is laid out for long passenger trips and is roomy enough for all parties to have their own space.

    ((Normally I use long periods of rests like this for handing out Character Points for experience and to spend on training up skills, but seeing as the game has only just started besides simply establishing the team and mission, it'll just be a lull. Surely someone will elect to do something during this time, which is fine; just note separately what you did in this part of the turn.))

    End of hyperspace trip:
    Late in the day, Stemla calls out over the intercom that the ship will be landing soon. Glimpses out the sleeping room portholes will reveal the destination is a small metropolis surrounded by an arid landscape. The sun (suns actually, if you looked outside earlier) is below the horizon; the pilot will inform you it is after sunset. He again reports the ship has landed and “Tuck Astrid's party” should prepare to disembark. The businessmen grab their luggage and leave first, before the pilot gets together with the second group and fills them in.

    “Right, I got a three or four hour window before port authority starts poking around over whether the passenger count was five or ten. Should be enough time to get in and out and back here if all goes right. You got a comlink? Right, give me a call on channel 6003.34 if you need picked up from a bad situation, I'll call when I can't stay here any longer, but it shouldn't get shaky that soon.”

    He hefts a tall polycloth satchel with a shoulder strap on the floor in front of him, it lands with a thud. “They said you might need a big storage drive for whatever you're picking up, so I got this for you. Right then, you ought to head out, call when you're done.” If asked about using data terminals for local maps, Stemla informs you there should be some sort of kiosks by most public buildings, including outside the docking bay.



    City on Tajjoy:
    Outside, the docking bay seems to be situated not far outside the center of the city. It is a rather dense downtown area, dominated by about a dozen skyscrapers. Smaller towers, maybe another dozen, are spread out over a kilometers radius. The rest appear to be single-story buildings and the edge of the city does not extend very far past there. The streets have almost no traffic and few people are out and about at this evening hour, most fall into the category of gruff & surly, probably armed and watching their backs from the sort of scoundrels a remote Hoddarim world like this attracts. It appears to be a quiet, tightly-packed city, with few signs of public services such as mass transportation or a police watch.

    ((Accessing a kiosk terminal with your datapad's search scripts will be an Automatic (0) action. No need to roll, just run it and it will pull up the map after a few moments. I'd like to have had a visual map ready at this point, but I had some other things to do tonight. Let's just say you have the address and the floorplan as soon as you try to get it from a terminal, and can start searching for entrances and security check points.))

    Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Woah. That's alot to be going on about in just a day. edit- especially when the forum goes down and I can't post for a good chunk of the day :(

    Here goes...

    Pre-spaceport: Nothing much to do. Mons checks his equipment a last time and heads to the spaceport, unless someone else needs him for something.

    At Spaceport: If nothing else presents itself, Mons will use the time to chat with the other people on the spaceship- starting with any of the NPCs, assuming they're willing to talk.
    He's pretty likeable, so they shouldn't mind- he won't push anyone who intimates they'd rather not talk. Basically he'll try to find out their names and general business- you never know when stuff will come in handy- and not really say too much about himself.

    He'll also happily talk with the PCs if they're interested... try to get an idea of their basic strengths and weaknesses- this would have to be done either in another compartment, if such a thing is possible.

    End of trip- Make sure someone grabs the storage drive and get us moving.

    That's as far as I'll go for now...

    El Skid on
    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

    wrath God fear traitor evil
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    "What'd you say your name was again?"

    "I didn't say. It's Chen Kalmurra."

    "Never heard --"

    "Abregado-rae."

    "What?"

    "That's where I'm from. You were probably going to ask."

    The bounty hunter and the human paused for a moment regarding each other. Chen took a few glances at Jiru's armor, and nodded approvingly. His eyes continued to move about... he was anxious to get the job underway.

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Cal spends his time on the ship sitting quietly. Upon landing he makes for exit and waits for the rest of his team.

    Denada on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    El Skid wrote: »
    Woah. That's alot to be going on about in just a day. edit- especially when the forum goes down and I can't post for a good chunk of the day :(

    ((Yeah, I realized after I was done typing there was a lot of text to read, but ultimately it boils down to leaving the establishing scenes and getting to the intended destination. I felt getting the map and spending rounds developing an entry strategy was more productive than 4-5 turns of "I leave the Villa/I go to the starport/I board the ship/I leave the ship".))

    ((Again, I looked to provide flexible instances for conversation and some skill rolls to be added in post-hoc. I suppose if someone wanted to start a brawl on the starship or go off looking for buried treasure or such they'd be kind of restricted, but that kind of sidetrack would only slow everything else down, regardless.))

    Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh Horseshoe...so much <3

    So...Chen, eh? You said earlier you were good with Security. Are we talking blowing shit away security here, or sneaking into shit and/or stopping other people from sneaking into shit?

    Speaking on his own skills: "As a bounty hunter, I have a fair amount of experience sneaking into places... though don't ask me to try and hack my way in via the computers... I've busted down my fair share of locked doors, but that's as high-tech as I get."

    El Skid on
    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

    wrath God fear traitor evil
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Chen tapped the carbine slung low on his shoulder.

    "Computers are for desk jockeys. I'm the type of security that's hired for problems that require... aggressive enforcement."

    He grabbed the polychoth satchel, and slung it over his shoulder... it conveniently covered his other hand, which he kept on his blaster carbine. He then started stuffing more loose t'bac into his lower lip. A guy with habits like that couldn't make it in a helmet, Mons thought to himself.

    "You look like you're ready, bounty-hunter. I sorta invited myself to this party. Who knows the way?"

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mons shrugged. "We're stopping on the way at a data terminal and getting a map and floorplans. From there we'll be improvising quite a bit, I think. Just my kind of operation!"

    Of course his face was expressionless, but for all that the bounty hunter let alot of emotion into his voice- you're sure he's smiling under there.

    El Skid on
    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

    wrath God fear traitor evil
Sign In or Register to comment.