As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Reading is fun!

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm not sure what i will read when i finish the dark tower. My dad wants to me read cormac mccarthy. I read The Road and let him borrow it. He likes it. For Christmas, I buy him No Country for Old Men. He says the ending is weird(I still haven't read it). Next thing you know, he buys every Cormac McCarthy book he can find. Devours them.

I was home without a book a few months ago, looking for something to read. He has a book on the nightstand in my old room. Its McCarthy, I liked The Road, figure I will give it a shot. Read a chapter or two, have a taste. Man, it was weird and creepy. It was the one about the nutso redneck squatting in his old house after he got out of jail. I read a few chapters and put it down.

Something about the language and structure of things was grating on me, and the subject matter was not really my thing. I would like to read his Western-ish stuff some time, but I think I need a break after I finish the Dark Tower.

I'm thinking of getting a pulp book-- the sequel to Death's Head. I forget the name of it, something completely ridiculous like Maximum Killpower or something. The first was completely balls-out macho cyborg badass ridiculousness. The protagonist is basically a Commissar from WH40k crossed with Judge Dredd on PCP.

And I am thinking of getting another book. Maybe Catch-22, maybe A Clockwork Orange, maybe Forever War, maybe Old Man's War(I think that is the title). I eventually want all of those, I think. Not sure which one I will buy first though.

DouglasDanger on
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    In summary:
    * I was talking about Lonesome Dove
    * And WWZ is for re-re's.
    * Cormac McCarthy is God.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    there may not be much rape but you do get to hear a lot about the guys' carrots

unless that dies down after the first bit, I can't remember

redhead on
    edited December 2008
    Seriously though, just say "cock" nobody is going to blanch here. It's not 1950, we can handle hookers talking about cocks.

And again: 800 pages. If this was anyone else, it'd be 300 and I'd be done by now.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, I just picked up Dune.

Is its reputation accurate?

Herbert is like Tolkien in that the dialogue can be tough to swallow, laying out all of these parameters for certain responses. However, he has a beautifully crafted universe full of complexities and historical references, everything has its cause and its effect. Herbert dives head first into the questions of religion, myth, godhood, human nature, mathematical sciences, and everything in between. It can be a bit daunting at first, but its a very satisfying read.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
    edited December 2008
    Where as Tolkien only thrusts head first into the questions of walking and the difficulties there of.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Where as Tolkien only thrusts head first into the questions of walking and the difficulties there of.

He was also highly committed to finding out how fucking dryly he could write a story while still having it slavishly consumed.

Poorochondriac on
    edited December 2008
    He wisely knew that fantasy readers were morons, so, in his own prescient ways, decided to punish all of them with a twelve-hundred page book about nothing.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think I will get Forever War. There seems to be some thematic canon in the various subgenres of military SF, in the same way as cyberpunk. It boils down to read things in the order they were published if there any similarities in setting or theme.

DouglasDanger on
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    He wisely knew that fantasy readers were morons, so, in his own prescient ways, decided to punish all of them with a twelve-hundred page book about nothing.

So he was prescient?

laughingfuzzball on
  • NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So after finals are over this week, I'm going to take some time and read up on my literature.

So far on my list I have:

Dracula
    From the Earth to the Moon
    Moby Dick (read it back in middle school, wanna read it again)
    The Old Man and the Sea
    The Great Gatsby (started it, but never finished it)
    Othello

Any other recommendations?

Newtron on
    edited December 2008
    Read some Faulkner

Poorochondriac on
    edited December 2008
    As I Lay Dying, or The Sound and the Fury? (To start off with I mean. I'll eventually read both, probably).

Newtron on
    edited December 2008
    Flip a coin

Poorochondriac on
  • JarofmoldymayoJarofmoldymayo __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    I once read the first harry potter book five times in one day in detention.

Maaan I could recite the entire book for like three years.

Jarofmoldymayo on
    edited December 2008
    Sound and the fury it is.

Newtron on
    edited December 2008
    I like social dystopia. A lot of it sucks, though. Here's a list of it that doesn't:
    1984, Orwell- quintessential
    Brave New World, Huxley- probably just as defining, at least as good, but woefully under-read
    Anthem, Rand- not as bad as you'd think, given the author
    Fahrenheit 451, Bradbury- a little lighter, some of the science fiction elements come across a little cheesy, but still quite good, heavy focus on education as a means of control
    The Giver, Lowry- this is what started it for me. young adult fiction, I haven't read the sequels
    A Clockwork Orange, Burgess- the focus is much more on the individual than is typical, real horrorshow if you don't mind a bit of the ultra-violent. I like invented languages.
    V for Vendetta, Moore/Loyd- you should all be familiar with this already
    The Time Machine, Wells- screw industrialism, fear the lower class
    "The Lottery", Jackson- I think pretty much everyone read this in Middle School. I haven't read it since. I should find it again, I remember it being very good. herd mentality stuff

Honorable Mention
    That Hideous Strength, Lewis- great book, but dystopic themes are tertiary, focus is on space angels, wizards, and a creepy old guy
    Equilibrium- It's not a book, but it's a better movie adaptation of Fahrenheit 451 than the adaptation of Fahrenheit 451 was
    Napoleon of Notting Hill, Chesterton- I'm told it's an early example of the genre, some suggest that it inspired a lot of 1984, and anything Chesterton has to be at least decent, but I haven't read it myself so I'm sticking it down here
    Utopia, More- It's the exact opposite of dystopic fiction, but it was vital to the development of the genre.

Please add to this. There are lists, but they all seem to include everything, regardless of quality, as well as a lot of stuff that doesn't really fit the genre.

It seems to be becoming more popular. There's lots of new writers writing new things, but a lot of it is very poor.

laughingfuzzball on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    are we all circlejerking about tolkein hatred in this thread

Urian on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Flip a coin

Now we're talkin

Urian on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Are we talking about the Faulkner who writes the most hilariously awkward sex scenes thus ruining books that are supposed to give a grim, serious message about war or whatever?

Janson on
    edited December 2008
    Urian wrote: »
    are we all circlejerking about tolkein hatred in this thread

Yes, this is the book thread.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Newtron wrote: »
    So after finals are over this week, I'm going to take some time and read up on my literature.

So far on my list I have:

Dracula
    From the Earth to the Moon
    Moby Dick (read it back in middle school, wanna read it again)
    The Old Man and the Sea
    The Great Gatsby (started it, but never finished it)
    Othello

You've probably read it, and although its a book targeted to young adults, its one of my favorite books of all time. The Giver. Its a fantastic story and a quick read, you should be able to clock it out in a couple days even at a leisurely pace.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I read 'Good Omens' last week

it's a good book

also 'The Man in the High Castle'

Iskander on
  • BearstranautBearstranaut Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    man you gotta respect Moby Dick for having just so much shit about whales and whaling

Bearstranaut on
    You ever try and draw Falcor as a giant dong? No? It just ends up looking like a long cyclops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm currently reading the new David Sedaris, the Amy Sedaris book, 1000 Beards, leafing through this cook book, and about to start This Book Will Change Your Life with the new year.

monsterror on
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I haven't started reading a new book since I finished Catch-22. What should I read first? Moby Dick or this Lovecraft collection?

Ivar on
    edited December 2008
    Lovecraft, but keep Moby Dick on standby. Some people have a low tolerance for Lovecraft.

laughingfuzzball on
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lovecraft, but keep Moby Dick on standby. Some people have a low tolerance for Lovecraft.

as opposed to Moby Dick?

YaYa on
  • en08ejlen08ejl Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    Newtron wrote: »

Check out Fitzgerald's Benjamin Button. Read it, forget about the upcoming film...

en08ejl on
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    so what are some light-reading public-domain classics? stuff like arthur conan doyle. i want to download some free book on my ipod

Zoolander on
    edited December 2008
    Zoolander wrote: »
    so what are some light-reading public-domain classics? stuff like arthur conan doyle. i want to download some free book on my ipod

I'm pretty sure the complete Dickens is on Project Gutenberg if that's your thing

YaYa on
    edited December 2008
    Fitzgerald gets shit on much more than he should

what a tragic dude

Bearstranaut on
    You ever try and draw Falcor as a giant dong? No? It just ends up looking like a long cyclops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    YaYa wrote: »

I'm pretty sure the complete Dickens is on Project Gutenberg if that's your thing

dickens is so damn wordy though

Zoolander on
    edited December 2008

dickens is so damn wordy though

true

uh

tell you what I'll have a quick page through the Gutenberg archives and see what I can see

YaYa on
    edited December 2008

There's plenty of Doyle on Project Gutenberg. I don't know if it's complete, but there's a lot of it.

laughingfuzzball on
    edited December 2008
    okay

let's see

they do have Sherlock Holmes

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Carol which is actually very good for what it is

Metamorphosis by Kafka (!)

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark fucking Twain

Count of Monte Cristo but you should probably see if it's abridged because fuuucckkk

not a book but A Doll's House by Ibsen is a shithot play and definitely worth reading

so that's a start I guess

YaYa on
    edited December 2008
    oh also they have basically the complete works of Wilde

I dunno how well written some his novels are but it's fucking Wilde

I used to read The Importance of Being Earnest as a novel and just laugh and laugh

YaYa on
    edited December 2008
    Oscar Wilde is my hero

my sexy, dashing hero.

Bearstranaut on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2008
    oh fuck

Zoolander

they have all sorts of Edgar Rice Burroughs

fucking Tarzan and Lord of Mars

YaYa on
    edited December 2008
    I'd thought Kafka was all still under copyright.

I already have Metamorphosis, but I grabbed The Trial.

laughingfuzzball on
This discussion has been closed.