As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Netflix Instant View, 360 and You

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Holy Crap I watched A Boy and His Dog last night. Where has this movie been my whole life?

No kidding that movie was great!

I used to have it on Laserdisc. :|

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm throwing up a friend invite link for Netflix. Don't know if this this will be handy, but we shall see.

http://www.netflix.com/BeMyFriend/PATVGH1v8mBz1ykvMtJH

redhalo on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sweet!

Yes, Minister: The Complete Collection.

Instant view. Along with a follow-up series I didn't know about. Yes, Prime Minister.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I started watching the first season of Dr. Who on the instant. It's pretty good.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Haven't seen much mention of The Illusionist - kind of got lost in the buzz around The Prestige (which I agree is the superior film), but a decent piece of work in its own right. Ed Norton delivers a good performance, per usual, and it has one of the few Phillip Glass scores I honestly like. There are some pretty interesting narrative techniques as well.

I also watched Transsiberian based on the recommendations here, and was pleasantly surprised. It has something of a slow burn to its pace, but if you stick with it, it gets really interesting.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I started watching the first season of Dr. Who on the instant. It's pretty good.

Yes, yes it is. I prefer Tennant but it's all pretty good. You have to be willing to go with the madcap, low-budget style, which is really pretty integral to the franchise anyway.

For Doctor Who, what's available via Instant seems pretty random. Only about half of season 1 is available, then none of season 2 is, but all of season 3 is (except for the Dr Who Confidential), and finally none of season 4 is. Of the individual episodes, there's no rhyme or reason that I can see. But it does includes a lot of Tom Baker eps, plus a smattering of the others (include The Three Doctors).

But hey, I grew up watching the Doctor at random times on public TV with bad reception, and then later on lousy VHS tapes, so DVDs and this newfangled Internet streaming is like heaven, even if the availability isn't perfect. :lol:

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    TacoManTacoMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Back to the Future I, II, & III are up for insta-watch. Timeless.

Also, Find Me Guilty is one I would've easily passed up, but Vin Diesel reveals that he's a flexible actor as a fat mob gangsta with hair who is his own lawyer in a trial. Based on a true story, and a surprisingly good movie.

Supercop and Last Action Hero: Two heroes who you can't understand but kick ass. Watch just for the line by Ah-nald:

"To be or not to be....not to be." [cue explosions and cigar-chewing]

TacoMan on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    polaris314 wrote: »
    Haven't seen much mention of The Illusionist - kind of got lost in the buzz around The Prestige (which I agree is the superior film), but a decent piece of work in its own right. Ed Norton delivers a good performance, per usual, and it has one of the few Phillip Glass scores I honestly like. There are some pretty interesting narrative techniques as well.

I thought The Illusionist was play-it-safe Hollywood garbage of the worst sort.
    The "twist" invalidates the entire story for the sake of a sugary-sweet happy ending. Somewhere along the line, screenwriters got it in their heads that star-crossed lovers don't make for a good romance story.

Hello? Romeo & Juliet, anyone? Romance and tragedy go quite well together, in the film world as well as the literary one.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Damn. I signed up for this moments ago because I had a terrible desire to watch Christmas Vacation, but it's not on the list.

Vegas Vacation was, though, so the service might stay. We shall see.

Edit: I've noted that generally, it's the crappy sequels to movies available in the insta-queue. Dumb and Dumberer, Caddyshack 2 are prime examples.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I find that if I go looking for something specific in instant view, it's never there. But I do find awesome stuff just by browsing the selection.

Besides, I use the DVD service, as well. So it stays.

Zoku Gojira on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just went through the Documentary section.

Holy shit there's a ton of good stuff in there.

Jesus Camp, documentaries on Hunter Thompson and Charles Bukowski, Super Size Me, The Atomic Cafe, The Education of Shelby Knox, King of Kong, Fired!...

yeah, I've got enough material to last me a while.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Has anyone seen "Meet Bill" (the one with Aaron Eckhart with the nametag on his forehead)? Is it worth watching? I liked "Thank You For Smoking" a lot.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    TacoManTacoMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Attention:

Looks like we can all instantly not watch Postal now.

Thanks Netflix, you sure know how to welcome your new avalanche of 360 customers. D:

TacoMan on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TacoMan wrote: »
    Attention:

Thanks Netflix, you sure know how to welcome your new avalanche of 360 customers. D:

I consider this customer service of the highest quality.

freakish light on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Attention:

I consider this customer service of the highest quality.

Was just about to say the same thing.

urahonky on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Although to be fair, I can instantly not watch Postal anytime I want.

See? I just instantly didn't watch Postal right now, in my chair. You can do it too!

freakish light on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Attention:

So now I can satisfy my morbid curiosity about Boll movies at absolutely no extra cost? Hells yeah!

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Although to be fair, I can instantly not watch Postal anytime I want.

See? I just instantly didn't watch Postal right now, in my chair. You can do it too!

WTF stop doing that!

(Added the movie to my instant queue. Might watch it on Friday since no one will be here in the office.)

urahonky on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So have they put anything good up lately?
    Also, does anyone have a link to a list of all WI titles? I don't get why Netflix doesn't just make one on their fucking site. Probably because people would watch more stuff.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Sam wrote: »
    Also, does anyone have a link to a list of all WI titles? I don't get why Netflix doesn't just make one on their fucking site. Probably because people would watch more stuff.

BACK TO THE FUTURE PARTS I II & III

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Holy shit, no way! Added those too!

urahonky on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008

Anyone who doesn't already have those on DVD is an utter failure of humanity.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Yeah, I started to get ecstatic when I saw the whole trilogy up on instant. Then I remembered I have the DVD box set like three feet away.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Technically I do, but they're at my parents' house and my brother bought them. It's nice to have it on instant.

freakish light on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wonder if they really are going to invest in bolstering Watch Instant...it would seem it's at optimal profitablility right now and is attracting as many customers as it's going to (a shit ton)

Sam on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wonder if they really are going to invest in bolstering Watch Instant...it would seem it's at optimal profitablility right now and is attracting as many customers as it's going to (a shit ton)

I check the Instant selection all the time and it seems like we get an average of at least one new movie a day.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Yes, yes it is. I prefer Tennant but it's all pretty good. You have to be willing to go with the madcap, low-budget style, which is really pretty integral to the franchise anyway.

For Doctor Who, what's available via Instant seems pretty random. Only about half of season 1 is available, then none of season 2 is, but all of season 3 is (except for the Dr Who Confidential), and finally none of season 4 is. Of the individual episodes, there's no rhyme or reason that I can see. But it does includes a lot of Tom Baker eps, plus a smattering of the others (include The Three Doctors).

But hey, I grew up watching the Doctor at random times on public TV with bad reception, and then later on lousy VHS tapes, so DVDs and this newfangled Internet streaming is like heaven, even if the availability isn't perfect. :lol:

far as I know there is only 13 episodes in season 1 all of which are available for instant play.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    scootch wrote: »

far as I know there is only 13 episodes in season 1 all of which are available for instant play.

Yeah, you're correct. I think I inadvertently included the 12 DVD extras when I did my count. But more importantly, since I posted, the availability of season 2 has changed, and it's now all available via Instant as well. Hooray!

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    scootch wrote: »

Yeah, you're correct. I think I inadvertently included the 12 DVD extras when I did my count. But more importantly, since I posted, the availability of season 2 has changed, and it's now all available via Instant as well. Hooray!

yah, I noticed that too. very exciting to see all of dr.who in there now.

Firefly, battlestar galactica and dr.who is really turning me into a sci-fi fan. I've never been too keen on this kind of stuff before.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Amazing Stories: Seasons 1 & 2.

A great series produced by Spielberg in the '80s. Same basic concept as The Twilight Zone. And the Season 1 episode 'The Mission' more than justifies adding it to your instant queue all on its own.

Zoku Gojira on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

A great series produced by Spielberg in the '80s. Same basic concept as The Twilight Zone. And the Season 1 episode 'The Mission' more than justifies adding it to your instant queue all on its own.

Is that the one
    where the guy imagines wheels into existence on a crippled B-52?

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Is that the one
    where the guy imagines wheels into existence on a crippled B-52?

Indeed it is, but he
    Draws them in his sketchbook

LOVED that show as a kid.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's a B-17.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I loved Amazing Stories as a kid (Ghost Train is the other standout in my memory).

I just watched James and the Giant Peach. Sweet, and fun movie. I completely forgot that Jack Skellington (of Nightmare Before Christmas) had a cameo.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    chasm wrote: »
    It's a B-17.

Spoiler that shit!

redhalo on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I watched Gone Baby Gone. Good film.
    When a 4-year-old girl goes missing in Dorchester, one of Boston's toughest hoods, private investigators Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro (Casey Affleck and Michelle Monaghan) reluctantly agree to take the case. But the investigation proves tougher, riskier and more complex than they could have imagined. Ben Affleck's directorial debut, adapted from the Dennis Lehane novel, also stars Ed Harris, Morgan Freeman and Amy Ryan (in her first Oscar-nominated role).

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I watched Primer the other night. I liked it, but I think I need to see it again.

I've also been watching Star Trek: TOS. It would be great if there were a way to queue up multiple episodes of a series.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Renaissance:
    "It's 2054 Paris, and a megacorporation called Avalon dominates contemporary life and sells eternal youth and beauty to the citizenry in this animated sci-fi thriller. When promising young Avalon scientist Ilona Tasuiev is kidnapped, the company hires top detective Barthélémy Karas (voiced by Daniel Craig) to find her. As he investigates, Karas discovers others on the hunt for Tasuiev -- along with a trail of witnesses that keep turning up dead."

Also:
    Sukiyaki Western Django:
    "In a strange land where East meets West, two rival gangs, the Heike Reds and the Genji Whites, are locked in a deadly feud over a fortune in gold. A lone hero (Hideaki Ito) comes to town, meets the gangs' various victims and tries to restore order to the chaos. Director Quentin Tarantino guest stars as a gunslinger in this visually stunning Japanese spaghetti Western from cult film director Takashi Miike. "

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I wish they'd throw ST:TNG up on Instant View. I've bought most of the series anyways slowly over the years, but (A) I never could find season 4 or 5 in stores (which are two of my favorites), and (B) It's annoying to have to parse through the gigantic amount of discs just to find the show I want to watch. =) I guess I could rip them... meh.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    more TV shows of all stripes would be a great addition to instant view.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?