As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Networking nerds, I need your help!

Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So... Situation is this: I want to run a fiber optic line from our existing building into the new building that's going to be finished in the next few weeks.

I'm not sure on the specifics yet, but I believe on the one end will be a Cisco Catalyst 3750 E and at the other will be an old HP 4104gl. (Credit Crunch has us in super-saving mode)

I'd like to know what kind of fiber optic cable do I need in order to cover roughly 400 meters at 10 gigabits? What kinds of modules will I need, if any, for the HP switch (and perhaps the Cisco switch)?

Locust76 on

• Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, for the 10 GB link, you'll need that particular gbic module for the Cisco. However, I don't think the HP supports more than a 1 GB fiber link.

Generally, how I'd do it is by having a fiber patch panel at each of the two locations. Probably single-mode fiber running between the two buildings.

Regardless, here's a site with some useful info. And here's a helpful PDF.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A quick search revealed there is no 10g module for the HP 4104gl Switch.

You can call HP Sales support to confirm, but I think your going to need another switch. If they do have one, they will tell you the exact module you need, just tell them what you are trying to do.

As for the cable, you will probrably need 50 micron. It should be Aqua in color.

Buddies on
  • Options
    SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    embrik wrote: »
    Generally, how I'd do it is by having a fiber patch panel at each of the two locations. Probably single-mode fiber running between the two buildings.

Yep, listen to this advice. You want to be using 9/125 Singlemode Loose Tube Fibre with an external/duct grade sheath. Go with a decent number of cores (8-12 probably), and terminate it in patch panels on either end.

I would suggest getting a professional installer in to terminate the patch panels as well - the tools don't come cheap and it requires a fair bit of expertise.

Spam on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Spam wrote: »

Yep, listen to this advice. You want to be using 9/125 Singlemode Loose Tube Fibre with an external/duct grade sheath. Go with a decent number of cores (8-12 probably), and terminate it in patch panels on either end.

I would suggest getting a professional installer in to terminate the patch panels as well - the tools don't come cheap and it requires a fair bit of expertise.

Exactly right. Unless you install fiber all the time, it's best to have a pro.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Spam wrote: »

Exactly right. Unless you install fiber all the time, it's best to have a pro.

Good advice here. You should be able to find a few fiber installers and get quotes pretty easily.

And this should go without saying but always lay at least one spare pair. The added cost isn't much and you may need it for future growth or if one of the in-use runs goes bad.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Due to budget constraints, we're unable to purchase any new equipment. All of our fiber modules are multimode only, and the link will have to stay at 1 gigabit for now. The new addition won't be generating that much traffic that we need 10 right away, but we always like to stay ahead of the curve. We're also going to have it professionally installed, of course, and with patch panels on either end and multiple runs for redundancy/bandwidth.

If I'm not mistaken, 50 micron multimode should do the trick, right? Specifications for the modules say they can carry up to 500-550 meters over 50 micron multimode.

Locust76 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    50/125 would work aye, and is certainly an option - cheaper to buy than singlemode and a bit easier to terminate which would save on your labour costs too.

However its only really rated to 1GBps at 0.5km, so if you were planning on having 10GBps throughput eventually, you'll pretty much have to use a hefty multi-core (12+) cable and hardware to make use of them all.
    9/125 has much higher bandwidth, so you can get away with less cores and still handle 10GBps easily (though would still say get a 4-core cable at least for future-proofing and redundancy).

Spam on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Actually, saying that, company I work for sells fibre and are actually selling 9/125 singlemode for substantially cheaper than 50/125 at the moment - no idea why though.

Shop around and I'm sure you could get a good price on some 9/125 - it's trickier to terminate properly than multimode, so will still probably cost more on labour, but its definately the better option.

Spam on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Sorry guys, I lied... Boss wants single mode, so we're doing single mode, and getting the modules for it. I found the HP Gigabit LX J4132A transceiver module and a Cisco GLC-LH-SM. I'm not sure if they will be able to communicate with one another; the Cisco page indicates that the Cisco module operates on 1300nm wavelength, and the HP page indicates their module runs at 1310nm... Since I know absolutely dick about fiber optic, can anyone tell me if that will work or not?

What cables specs do I need now, considering it's gotta be single mode?

Locust76 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    lol,
    Singlemode = SM = 9/125 = OS1 = 9micron
    All terms for describing the same cable.

External Sheath (The vast majority of singlemode cable available is suitable for both internal and external use tbh though - if it doesn't say, it usually is, but check anyway.)
    4 Cores or more.
    Loose Tube (LT/CLT)

Spam on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Cool thanks! Does the 10nm wavelength difference between the two end modules make a difference at all?

Locust76 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    As far as I know the transceivers should work fine with each other, but don't quote me on that.
    I don't know that much about the actual hardware side of things, having never done a fibre install - just know about the cable because my work sells the stuff :P

Spam on