As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm just a little person, one person in a sea... (Synecdoche, New York)

RainOPainRainOPain Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
synecdoche-new-york-poster.jpg

Let's talk about this wonderful little piece of abstract cinema.

Anyone else seen it? I got to on Sunday and am eagerly awaiting next weekend for the chance to go see it a second time. The little independent theater near my apartment (that was the only place in the area playing it) only had about 10 people in it when I was there, but they all seemed to love the film. Everyone stayed right up until the last credit, and I didn't see anyone even start to stand until the lights came on in the theater.

I'll admit that I went into this movie with perhaps overly high expectations -- Charlie Kaufman is one of my favorite screenwriters and, even though reviews were pretty mixed, all the negative reviews seemed to use words like "pretentious" and "self-indulgent", which I tend to see as cues that someone does not know what they are talking about. Anyway, despite my expectations, I was not disappointed by it at all. It was a mess of a film and it was hard to take in, but I completely loved it.

What about you guys?

RainOPain on

• DerLustigeBosniakDerLustigeBosniak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I finally saw a preview for this a couple of days ago and I am extremely excited to see this. I don't have a lot of knowledge of Charlia Kaufman films (or really any of the more 'out there' films), but this seems fantastic and really enthralled me from the trailer alone.

DerLustigeBosniak on
    sig-3.jpg