Options

God of War 3 : Chaotic Beat Downs

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just finished GoW2, loved GoW1.

That said, this isn't enough to get me to buy a PS3. I'll buy one wayyyyy down the line, in 2-3 years, depending on the price of other Blu-ray players.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't think the problem is that the game is getting rehashed. Ratchet and Clank never really changes and I love it. God of War feels like it's just trying a bit too hard.

I dunno, I'm sure I'll get this on day one and at least enjoy it, because I'm goddamn weak like that.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm sure that with all the extra console horsepower they'll manage to do some really over the top, awesome stuff. Will the gameplay stay essentially the same? Probably, but as long as they keep pushing the edge of insane, awesome, over the top stuff then I'll be happy. It's only number 3 (aside from the portable iteration).

slash000 on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't think the problem is that the game is getting rehashed. Ratchet and Clank never really changes and I love it. God of War feels like it's just trying a bit too hard.
    Most of the new Ratchet and Clank games I have played introduced a bunch of new weapons. In God of War 2, I got tired of the chainblades and the other weapons didn't hold my interest for long. Some of the new powers from the gods were nice but most felt too similar to the previous game's powers. In most games, you either have to keep introducing new enemies to kill and new circumstances to get the hell out of or/and have a stream of new weapons to kill those weapons with. By the end of God of War 2, most of the fights felt like fights I had been through hours earlier.

Couscous on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah I just think they need to add more variety to combat and abilities. It's not a game that needs to change much.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Just finished GoW2, loved GoW1.

That said, this isn't enough to get me to buy a PS3. I'll buy one wayyyyy down the line, in 2-3 years, depending on the price of other Blu-ray players.

You know, for only 1 game, I would agree.

However, the library of other PS3 games, such as MGS4, Valkyria Chronicles, Uncharted (I keep hearing this game is damn good), Disgaea 3, Resistance 1 & 2 on top of God of War 3...

Well, that would be enough for me, and I wasn't even considering the amount of joy I've gotten from the included Blu-Ray.

But yeah, for only one game, I'd find it hard to justify any game system.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I belive this game may.. possibly.. for some foreseeable reason.. have boobs.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I belive this game may.. possibly.. for some foreseeable reason.. have boobs.

Well, I'm sold.

Vray on
  • Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    is it me or was it just not that impressive visually...

i know it will get better but i was really unimpressed with the trailer... uncharted 2 blew me away though

zllehs on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    Gibb wrote: »
    Formula for PS3 Exclusive Thread:

1. Make Thread
    2. Watch thread turn into a discussion of game consoles.
    3. ???
    4. Profit!

Go fuck yourself.
    If you guys are excited about this, wait till you see the real thing. It looks at least 30-40% better.
    Saying that something looks a certain percent better than another thing makes me angry.

This statement is 33% correct.

Also I have GoW and GoW 2 sat here but due to a massive backlog I haven't played either of them. I started GoW 2 though and...jesus christ... impressive! I just wish I had a backwards compatible PS3 though so I could play it properly in semi-HD!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    And I didn't even play 2 as I had moved on to PS3 games at that point.

that's a shame because it's better than the vast majority of PS3 exclusives and runs in HD

Urian on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Actually I think the 2 will upscale itself to 480i (p? i? I don't know, w/e) if you tell it to. And I'm pretty sure the in-game cutscenes will too.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Everyone in the gaming industry should do interview drunk

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    Actually I think the 2 will upscale itself to 480i (p? i? I don't know, w/e) if you tell it to. And I'm pretty sure the in-game cutscenes will too.

You can hold down some buttons:

Press and hold L1, L2, L3, Square and Circle as you boot up the game.

And it'll play in 720p (I think).

(Also 480i isn't up-scaling, that's standard resolution. 480p is standard progressive and much better than 480i, it has a nifty progressive mode without resorting to the boot-up code)

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That code makes it play in an enhanced 480p mode. To quote Joystiq: Note: "this is NOT 720p. Its actually 480p with FULL SIZE buffers, in other words 640*448 resolution."

Whatever that means.

Renzo on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is why I have total faith in Sony Santa Monica. I know everyone cites Uncharted 2 as the 'omfg it looks so good!' trailer of the VGAs, and if you dip into some of the more shady message boards you'll discover rabid fanboys tearing apart the visuals in the God of War trailer, but... yeah. If you're familiar with what does on down there, you know Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and ... another dev house I can't recall are basically all set up in the same complex of buildings, and they all share development ideas and technology - basically working together to get the most out of - is it Sucker Punch? This is gonna' bug the hell out of me - to get the most out of Sony's hardware.

And after seeing what Naughty Dog's pulled off on the PS3, after how much Sony Santa Monica pushed the PS2 with God of War 2... I have no doubt that GoW3 will blow some minds.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    are you thinking of Insomniac?

Renzo on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    are you thinking of Insomniac?

I would imagine he means both Insomniac and Sucker Punch.

Sucker Punch being the Sly Cooper people, if you didn't know. Never did get to playing those. Infamous looks good though.

And God of War III? Sign me up. No other game, either last-gen or current-gen, has impressed me with its set pieces as well as God of War. I can't even imagine what they'll do on PS3.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Also, as for the whole console argument, it goes like this, and it's rather funny to me.

Someone makes a thread about a PS3 exclusive, and the thread starts getting flooded with comments like "This looks awesome! But one game can't sell me on a PS3."

Combine those games, people.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    This is why I have total faith in Sony Santa Monica. I know everyone cites Uncharted 2 as the 'omfg it looks so good!' trailer of the VGAs, and if you dip into some of the more shady message boards you'll discover rabid fanboys tearing apart the visuals in the God of War trailer, but... yeah. If you're familiar with what does on down there, you know Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and ... another dev house I can't recall are basically all set up in the same complex of buildings, and they all share development ideas and technology - basically working together to get the most out of - is it Sucker Punch? This is gonna' bug the hell out of me - to get the most out of Sony's hardware.

And after seeing what Naughty Dog's pulled off on the PS3, after how much Sony Santa Monica pushed the PS2 with God of War 2... I have no doubt that GoW3 will blow some minds.

Sucker Punch isn't based in Santa Monica (nor are Insomniac, Eat Sleep Play or Ready at Dawn).

But yeah, pretty much all of Sony's studios share resources nowadays, including "second parties" like Insomniac and Sucker Punch. So if Guerrilla does something ridiculously cool with the Cell SPE's, they can share it with the collective group and we may see the benefits in other games like Uncharted 2.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong at all with God of War's 'core' gameplay, they just need to improve upon it (something GoW2 didn't really do). And if the trailer is any indication, they're adding wall-running, which would be pretty cool.

The graphics look great, especially considering it's pretty old footage and it only lasted 10 seconds. It's at least a year away from being finished and a lot of stuff can happen during that time (just compare the Killzone 2 trailer from E3 2007 to one of the ones they've recently released).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    LION HANDS!!!

I hope they roar when you hit guys. And that you later turn into Voltron.

I love GoW more than Ninja Gaidan and Devil May Cry. Mostly because Kratos is an angry asshole bastard and I like fun and not rape through the pants that the other two provide for me. I'm too goddamn old and busy to take such a shafting in video games anymore. However, NG and DMC are both very good games...that are so not for me. I prefer the brutal, mean fighting in GoW to the flashy, fancy pants fighting in the other games, because I am an American, dammit, and I like my men to look like men when I fu...this just went to the wrong place.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    LION HANDS!!!

I hope they roar when you hit guys. And that you later turn into Voltron.

I love GoW more than Ninja Gaidan and Devil May Cry. Mostly because Kratos is an angry asshole bastard and I like fun and not rape through the pants that the other two provide for me. I'm too goddamn old and busy to take such a shafting in video games anymore. However, NG and DMC are both very good games...that are so not for me. I prefer the brutal, mean fighting in GoW to the flashy, fancy pants fighting in the other games, because I am an American, dammit, and I like my men to look like men when I fu...this just went to the wrong place.

Pretty much this entire post.

Some of GoW2 was so brutal that I got a little sick.

In a good way.

Examples is pressing Circle to bash a fucking door into someone's head repeatedly.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Chalk me up as another one who really like GoW 1+2, way more than any of the NG or DMC games.

When is this dropping, late '09? Cause if it's anywhere as fun as the first two this'll probably be the game that pushes me over the edge on getting a PS3.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Chalk me up as another one who really like GoW 1+2, way more than any of the NG or DMC games.

When is this dropping, late '09? Cause if it's anywhere as fun as the first two this'll probably be the game that pushes me over the edge on getting a PS3.

Q4 2009. May be a price drop by then too, who knows.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    So it's been a year since I've been GoW2. But if I remember correctly...
    The last cinematic showed Cratos on the back of some Titans climbing up to battle the gods? If GoW3 opens up with an Epic Titan/God Battle with me in the middle as the first stage. I will pee my pants.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, I pretty well agree. When I buy a God of War I want to play a God of War. I don't want any huge revolutions to the core game. I'm sure there'll be enough changes to make it interesting, though, and that's all I want. Really, I just want some hyperviolent greek mythological ass kicking.

Yep, GoW is all about busting heads, nothing else. It's not something that needs to evolve much.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

Everyone in the gaming industry should do interview drunk

@ 1:01

Jeff Reese (Sony Marketing):
    "Whats God of War actually gonna do? God of War is actually gonna move onto multiple platforms and eventually culminate in this classic battle-rama on the PlayStation 3."

David Jaffe:
    "What the fuck, I don't know what you just said!"

Oh man, this part had me cracking up.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have the disc for God of war 2 under my bed.

I never got to play the damn thing though. The disc reader on my playstation decided to give up on reading double sided DVDs.

I enjoyed the hell out of God of war 1. Well, after the box bit anyway.

Rotam on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The hell? God of War is all about doing some light puzzle solving and then beating the every loving fuck out of everything that moves in the most chaotic and brutal manner possible. Nothing about this needs to change.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would buy a PS3 for this game, if I could get a new one that had backwards compatibility. Which is pretty much impossible now, let alone a year from now when this comes out.

But damn, I really do want this.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The last cinematic showed Cratos on the back of some Titans climbing up to battle the gods? If GoW3 opens up with an Epic Titan/God Battle with me in the middle as the first stage. I will pee my pants.

Yep.
    Kratos was ready to tear the walls from Olympus down and use them to beat the immortality out of Zeus and the rest of the pantheon.

I look forward to it myself, though I figure something has to happen to drive the actual plot of the game. I'm just waiting for some more of the impressive set pieces and battle sequences.

By the way, how long was anyone else stymied by "the corridor" in GoW2? If you're not sure which one I mean
    I mean the one right before you fight Clotho, the final Fate.
    but I swear, that one took me at least 2 or 3 days to get down. But, it's a testiment to the game that I enjoyed the game before, during, and after that part and can still say positive things about it, even though that section probably caused my blood pressure to spike.

Marikir on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Marikir wrote: »

Yep.
    Kratos was ready to tear the walls from Olympus down and use them to beat the immortality out of Zeus and the rest of the pantheon.

I look forward to it myself, though I figure something has to happen to drive the actual plot of the game. I'm just waiting for some more of the impressive set pieces and battle sequences.

By the way, how long was anyone else stymied by "the corridor" in GoW2? If you're not sure which one I mean
    but I swear, that one took me at least 2 or 3 days to get down. But, it's a testiment to the game that I enjoyed the game before, during, and after that part and can still say positive things about it, even though that section probably caused my blood pressure to spike.

I haven't beaten GoW2 yet, but is it anything like the rotating spike pillars in the first game?

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nah. It is more like an overly long hallway with a ton of enemies to kill if he is thinking what I'm thinking of.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    SirUltimos wrote: »

Yep.

I haven't beaten GoW2 yet, but is it anything like the rotating spike pillars in the first game?

No, this one is basically combat after combat after combat with only few opportunities for healing or magic recovery. It really feels like the enemies just throw EVERYTHING at you, trying to crush you under the bodies of their dead. DAMN fun when you get it down, but it took me a couple of days to figure out how best to manage my health, magic, and kills. By the time I was done, I had pretty much learned the best way to beat almost every type of enemy in the game.

The rotating spikes from GoW1? Those sucked, but didn't take me too long to get past. Stopped me for a little while, sure, but not as long as this did.

Marikir on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Yep.

No, this one is basically combat after combat after combat with only few opportunities for healing or magic recovery. It really feels like the enemies just throw EVERYTHING at you, trying to crush you under the bodies of their dead. DAMN fun when you get it down, but it took me a couple of days to figure out how best to manage my health, magic, and kills. By the time I was done, I had pretty much learned the best way to beat almost every type of enemy in the game.

The rotating spikes from GoW1? Those sucked, but didn't take me too long to get past. Stopped me for a little while, sure, but not as long as this did.

You mean this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNdbN321pQk&feature=related

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Yep.

You mean this?

Yeah, that part. Not just that part, the whole corridor. But yeah...intense stuff, frustrating at first, but oh so satisfying when I finally slew every single last one of them. Still took me about 3 days or so.

Marikir on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I never finished GoW1 because I started it on my ps2 but gave it away and never transfered the game data to my ps3. I just got GoW2 last week but haven't opened it yet. I hope this game looks decent on my HDTV. Also should I use the upscaling and smoothing features on my ps3 for it, or just have the game output in 480p.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I liked it better in 480p, less blurry than the smoothed out 1080p.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You know... I take back what I said in the FF thread. When I get my mom's PS2 from her this weekend (since the bitch got a PS3 before me... mumble grumble), GoWII will be what I play first. I honestly do NOT remember most of this game, or the first one.

Spoilers for 1 and 2:
    Ok, so in the first game, you have to kill Ares, but did you fight any other Gods? I don't remember, and I don't think you did. You received gifts from the Gods to help you in your fight, I remember that much.

Then in part 2, you have to kill the Fates, the Gods of the Gods, so to speak. Athena was killed by who? I forget, but I'm like 99% sure she died. Didn't Zeus do it? Ok, so now you're launching an assault on Olympus with an army of Titans at your back.

Time to kill every God in part 3?

Fawst on