As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm so tired of this shit I wanna...

• oogmaroogmar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm a senior line cook. When somebody quits, their hours immediately get foisted on myself and the manager. I have lost count of how many 16 day 'weeks' I've had, working upwards of 85 hours/week with time and a half for over-time, and the HR/payroll guy crying at me for hitting overtime. This just seems normal to me anymore. A short week is 45 hours.

It would be great if I worked at say, Target... or an office, or doing pretty much anything but essentially reclining face down over a stovetop of 12 blazing burners, glowing red cast iron, spitting oil, and delicious cookings.

When I work that much, food becomes incredibly nauseating. So not only I'm doing massive upper-body workouts in ridiculous heat and close, stifling conditions, but my blood sugar gets ridiculously low due to how nasty food seems most of the time.

And I want to go to school so I can cement my ability to work this type of job for the rest of my life.

I've been on my paid vacation, so I'm on day 5 of no work (a strange, disconnected feeling), and for some reason this tightness that starts in my right elbow and runs all the way across my shoulders to the round of my left shoulder is loosening. Maybe it's because I'm not flipping a pan every three seconds or hauling around blue-lids full of boiling liquids. Craziness.

Now, tell me how rough your overtime is. Really. :P

PS: If it weren't for cigarettes, I would have murdered everybody I know. And cooked them.

oogmar on
    Rane, you lazy bastard, you can shut the hell up.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    oogmar does anyone ever give their compliments to the chef anymore?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i like to think that work is the only reason i still smoke, and i'm not horribly addicted. also, all those people who whine about how unfair it is that smokers get a smoke break every hour at work can suck it.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I worked a single day in a restaurant once.

It was a "slow" day.

Since then my respect for anyone working in the restaurant industry has skyrocketed.

matthias00 on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    this whole week has been hell

my alarm didn't go off yesterday so I almost missed a final, then I had to cancel a date to take care of my drunk friend.

Today it snowed so I almost missed another final, no one else felt like shoveling I guess, I have to work, and my mother just had an operation so I have to stay at home to take care of her and the pets.

Javen on
  • DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I love working in a restaurant.

Our food is really good and we have a lot of fun.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
    edited December 2008
    I'm actually likely going to be working at a restaurant this summer. Except this time I'll be outside the kitchen which is nice.

matthias00 on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I once worked thirteen hours straight delivering pizza. Got in at ten in the morning, expecting to leave at four, but the second morning guy called in sick, and then the afternoon-evening guy never showed, and then the evening guy's car broke down and couldn't make it. So basically on a Saturday when I should have been the only one there for only an hour in the morning, I took every single shift, and so every order got backed up over an hour. At around 10pm people were getting pissy because they had ordered at 8:30 and I was just now showing up and how could you be this incompetent

I would look at my watch, then cut them off mid-bitch to inform them exactly how many hours I had been working that day, alone, and inquire as to whether they wanted to pay me for the pizza they had ordered or if I should toss it in the gutter in front of their house.

Oddly, people seemed to respond to this by tipping me rather generously. I walked away that night with almost $300 in cash.

MrMonroe on
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    last night I finally got to sleep for the first time in 36 hours

and when I laid down and realized that from that point on I had as much free time as I wanted for a month

man, that is probably the best feeling in the entire world

being really, really tired and knowing that you'll fall asleep soon, but also knowing that you have the time to sleep for as long as you want

it's just so satisfying

redhead on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    restaurants are fun when it's not very busy

when they're very busy, they're just chaotic.

Javen on
    edited December 2008
    Mysst wrote: »

If by compliments you mean getting their drunk girlfriend to show us their tits, then yes.

oogmar on

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    oogmar wrote: »

If by compliments you mean getting their drunk girlfriend to show us their tits, then yes.
    now that must have been a good fucking steak

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I once worked thirteen hours straight delivering pizza. Got in at ten in the morning, expecting to leave at four, but the second morning guy called in sick, and then the afternoon-evening guy never showed, and then the evening guy's car broke down and couldn't make it. So basically on a Saturday when I should have been the only one there for only an hour in the morning, I took every single shift, and so every order got backed up over an hour. At around 10pm people were getting pissy because they had ordered at 8:30 and I was just now showing up and how could you be this incompetent

I would look at my watch, then cut them off mid-bitch to inform them exactly how many hours I had been working that day, alone, and inquire as to whether they wanted to pay me for the pizza they had ordered or if I should toss it in the gutter in front of their house.

Oddly, people seemed to respond to this by tipping me rather generously. I walked away that night with almost $300 in cash.
    you're a fucking wanker

a thirteen hour day? Boo fucking hoo. I've done thirty-six hour stints working trade shows and travelling, I've put in sixteen hour days at my office under deadline, and you were crying to your customers about how you had to work a long shift when they had the audacity to complain that their pizza was an hour and a half late?

cry me a goddamn river

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

certainly wasn't the one I had the other night

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited December 2008

I know what I'm doing when it comes to slabs of meat.

oogmar on

• XenXen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

you're a fucking wanker

a thirteen hour day? Boo fucking hoo. I've done thirty-six hour stints working trade shows and travelling, I've put in sixteen hour days at my office under deadline, and you were crying to your customers about how you had to work a long shift when they had the audacity to complain that their pizza was an hour and a half late?

cry me a goddamn river

:whistle:Cry me a river! OOoooooh:whistle:

Can only agree with Rank, try putting in 18 to 21 hour days for 2 weeks straight. Or what I am really saying is join the Army, pussy.

Xen on
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I used to work at a bookstore (chapters, so think barns and noble I guess but in canada)

Our weekly totals would far exeed entire non holiday months. From open to close we had a lineup from the front of the store to the back with every register being worked. At least it passed the time quickly :)

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
    edited December 2008
    So, it's rapidly occurring to me that I may need to break the "rule" I made for myself about not playing PC games up here. It's lasted me for about 95% of the semester, but I'm like the only dude around not doing a bunch of finals this week so I have way too much time to kill.

I'm choosing between Warcraft 3's campaign, Starcraft's campaign, and Half Life 2.

Considering I haven't completed any of those, I figure I might as well, but then there's also WC3 multiplayer or TF2.

Help me choose, SE++

matthias00 on
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Christ on a goddamn crutch it is getting hotter and hotter as the day goes on. I think we broke 30 Celsius not that long ago.

Apparently the top floors have dropped below 10 degrees Celsius now, I hate this building so much.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

you're a fucking wanker

cry me a goddamn river

you think that's hard, try a 50 hour day!

that'll put some hair on your bones

i was delivering live buzzsaws, and this was in the days before health and safety gave them metal gloves to handle them

Nuzak on
  • DerLustigeBosniakDerLustigeBosniak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This thread makes me want to never work for a company again.

Maybe I'll become a mad trapper.

Also, I worked for three years on the oil rigs. 14 hour night shifts at -40 for 3 weeks, everday.

The pay made up for everthing, but that sort of things kills a part of your soul and hardens you up. You begin to hate everything during the last week.

DerLustigeBosniak on
    sig-3.jpg
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Working for yourself is the only way to work.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited December 2008

you're a fucking wanker

cry me a goddamn river

I'll build you a three hundred dollar bridge over it. Congratulations on that enormous crucifix. :|

MrMonroe on
  • DerLustigeBosniakDerLustigeBosniak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

you're a fucking wanker

cry me a goddamn river

I'll build you a three hundred dollar bridge over it. Congratulations on that enormous crucifix. :|

It's alright. People have different thresholds for stress and what they can take when it comes to their work. Yours is just lower than others.

Pussy.

DerLustigeBosniak on
    sig-3.jpg
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Retail, dealing with strangers, shitheaded, obnoxious strangers, can have someone completely furious within half an hour after having a good morning.

Getting fucked over by co-workers thrice and then dealing with shit head customers would not be fun

The Black Hunter on
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    my work week is

I wake up at 9:30

I work non stop, save for half an hour breaks for lunch and dinner, till 23:00

I do this for 8 days straight before going home for 3 days

I get $125 a month

I fucking hate being drafted

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Daric wrote: »
    I love working in a restaurant.

Our food is really good and we have a lot of fun.

man when I worked at IHOP I gained so much weight. But I ate like the king of pancakes every night.

Bucketman on
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

you're a fucking wanker

cry me a goddamn river

Don't worry, kiddo, Rank is a champion at reverse-whining.

You were just the unlucky sap today.

naporeon on
  • JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    At my last job, I routinely worked 12-13 days in a row because of the money I would get, given that these were 12 hour shifts it kinda weighs you down afterwards, thank fuck I no longer work there.

Junpei on
  • iStevoiStevo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    January 1st will be my fifty somethinth consecutive day going into work. I do atleast twenty hours of overtime a week because I have no life and I still have trouble making ends meet.

I have not been with my company long enough to start accruing vacation time but for working Thanksgiving, Christmas day, and New Years day I'm getting six floater days that I can use to take off whenever I like.

I haven't actually earned the last four days yet, but i've already scheduled them to be used and am going to enjoy eight straight days in bed with my girl on the week of her birthday in January.

iStevo on
    ...I'm so hip, I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I work 7am-3:30pm with great pay/benefits/vacation and weekends off.

Weaver on
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Weaver wrote: »

well I fucking hate you, how do you like them apples?

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I hope they fix the HVAC here soon, it's really starting to affect my productivity. My body has adapted to -25C already, being in 32C is a problem.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited December 2008
    Are they granny smith apples?

Weaver on
    edited December 2008
    Are they granny smith apples?

they are apples of fury and rage, fruits bore on branches of seething anger, and watered by bitter tears

so yes

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I work about 4:30PM-12:00AM, with interspersed hours or half hours in the mornings some days.

Khavall on
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I write my own schedule, but it works out to 7.45am - 4.15pm.

Oh, and the pay, benefits, vacation, weekends off thing as well.

Not to mention the perk of working for a non-profit in the third year of a seven year grant cycle.

hi5, basically.

naporeon on
    edited December 2008
    naporeon wrote: »
    I write my own schedule, but it works out to 7.45am - 4.15pm.

Oh, and the pay, benefits, vacation, weekends off thing as well.

Not to mention the perk of working for a non-profit in the third year of a seven year grant cycle.

hi5, basically.

I get my first check this Friday, we could do a lunch like we used to when I worked here before.

Weaver on
    edited December 2008
    guys I am eating crème brûlée chocolate

it is very very good

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    edited December 2008
    I didn't post about my senior year at college because technically I wasn't compensated for it. Basically I adopted a 30-32 hour day schedule in which I would work for 26-28 hours and then pass out for four to six. That only went on for a week or two before I stopped having feelings of empathy towards my subject. For some reason the skin on my hands started peeling back to a fewer number of layers. So I guess I want to go to law school so I can recreate that experience for some reason.

Though I guess I was compensated by the fact that it helped me get this job where I work from 9:30-5 or 6 mon-fri, full benefits and two weeks paid vacation per year.

/stretch

MrMonroe on