Options

Phalla V: The Planning (SIGN-UP INFO ON PG 3)

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2006
    Saburbia wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Saburbia wrote:
    One thing I would like though, is announce the date for when the signups will start, so that the people who really want to play will make sure to be able to reach a computer to signup and not miss it. Cause last time it came out of no where and I was busy that day so I missed it, but if I knew that it would've been that day than I would've used the computers at school during lunch or asked a friend to go on my account to sign up etc etc.

Sign-ups will start on 11/17. However, you can secure a pre-sign-up with $50 down starting on 11/10. Priority will be given to those who purchase the largest number of villager roles.

So signups are going to be next week friday, and the game starts the following monday? Sounds good.

It was just a joke. I pulled dates out of my ass. But yes, ample warning will be given before sign-ups, and preference will be given to those who haven't played before. And, like Shinto, I will be doing nasty shit to those who sign up and then don't participate. And given the Lovecraftian them, it has the potential to be really, extra nasty.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Saburbia wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Saburbia wrote:
    One thing I would like though, is announce the date for when the signups will start, so that the people who really want to play will make sure to be able to reach a computer to signup and not miss it. Cause last time it came out of no where and I was busy that day so I missed it, but if I knew that it would've been that day than I would've used the computers at school during lunch or asked a friend to go on my account to sign up etc etc.

Sign-ups will start on 11/17. However, you can secure a pre-sign-up with $50 down starting on 11/10. Priority will be given to those who purchase the largest number of villager roles.

So signups are going to be next week friday, and the game starts the following monday? Sounds good.

It was just a joke. I pulled dates out of my ass. But yes, ample warning will be given before sign-ups, and preference will be given to those who haven't played before. And, like Shinto, I will be doing nasty shit to those who sign up and then don't participate. And given the Lovecraftian them, it has the potential to be really, extra nasty.

:( Don't trick me, your already being evil!

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Andrew_Jay wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Well, it's somewhat impossible in the original offline version of this game. :P
    Having played the offline version a few times, it is nowhere near impossible. Though, it was somewhat more apparent.
    How long does an offline game usually take? I've heard it's done in a couple of hours, and that doesn't seem like fun. As a game stretching over 2-3 days at camp or something it could be interesting.

Depends on the size and efficacity of the people playing. Games also tend to be more in the 10-16 player range. It does get interesting after a few drinks too. Though so does Trivial Pursuit.

Edit:
    Oh, and I would highly HIGHLY approve of not dropping hints when a special dies. That takes some of the paranoia out of the game and can cripple monster strategies quite a bit.
    It could just be a generic token indicating specialhood. You're just a monster at heart though, monster.

I can't help it if my dark charms wooed you. We can still cuddle on weekends though.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    I will be doing nasty shit to those who sign up and then don't participate. And given the Lovecraftian them, it has the potential to be really, extra nasty.

You're making me want to sign up and not participate...

Serpent on
  • Options
    ShanbaShanba Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Out of curiosity, what would happen to a special role who got converted into a monster? Would they keep their special role?

Shanba on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    I can't help it if my dark charms wooed you. We can still cuddle on weekends though.
    Don't pretend you're not into me.

There's a reason I survived Rishiri. You got in too deep. Too deep into Elendil. :winky:

Elendil on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    You didn't do anything special to woo me, I just fucked up horribly.

Anyway, this version is sounding pretty snappy.

Are y'all going to collaborate on each entry, or just alternate turns or what?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Shanba wrote:
    Out of curiosity, what would happen to a special role who got converted into a monster? Would they keep their special role?
    I think the current consensus between Jeff and I is that they keep their special role. This is very Lovecraftian and there is NO HOPE! MUWHAHAHAH! Okay, well, there is some hope.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Shanba wrote:
    I think the current consensus between Jeff and I is that they keep their special role. This is very Lovecraftian and there is NO HOPE! MUWHAHAHAH! Okay, well, there is some hope.
    So maybe we can pull off a "Shunned House?"

Elendil on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2006
    Shanba wrote:

The current consensus is also that not a lot of information will be forthcoming. You guys will know enough to play the game, but a lot of the game will be discovering the roles and how they work.

What happens to converted monsters is still up in the air, and we're working on balance, and you probably won't know the final verdict.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    Shanba wrote:
    Shunned House?

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I second the notion that the vigilante would be a lot more helpful for the villagers if he could choose when to use his powers. If he ends up being an inactive, you could kill him off and imbue somebody else with the power.

Also, I haven't signed up for the previous ones because I wasn't sure if I was gonna be active enough, but given how closely I've been following the other games, I don't think that'll be a problem :p. I know signups aren't up yet, but I'm in.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    Shanba wrote:
    Shunned House?
    Are you sure you're qualified to run a Lovecraft game? :P

Elendil on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah well Phalla 7 was overrated.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Tarranon wrote:

I hear that Phalla 4 could've used more cutscenes. ;)

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Tarranon wrote:

I hear that Phalla 4 could've used more cutscenes. ;)
    It was rushed to production for the Holiday season.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    :(

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    God45 wrote:
    :(
    There there, there there.

Hey, it's almost time for you to get sprung from the joint. Unless pheezer just forgets about it.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    He's probably forgotten about it by now.

Well, at least I can take comfort in knowing that my final story will not suck copious amounts of kakos balls. I think I'll post all the art I made for the game, as well.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    God45 wrote:

Well, at least I can take comfort in knowing that my final story will not suck copious amounts of kakos balls. I think I'll post all the art I made for the game, as well.

Try to, at any rate.

VishNub on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    God45 wrote:

Oh man, you made art too? That really sucks. What with the whole getting jailed thing.

How much did you make? One thing for each night?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I made art for all the Creeds, plus a few symbols. I'll post them in the Phalla V thread along with the final story, once I finish it.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    God45 wrote:

You know, you could've posted the art and had someone quote you. That crap generally isn't kosher, but it was for everyone else's sake, not yours, and I wouldn't have objected.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    The art wasn't for the individual nights, just the various PMs. I guess I could have thrown something together for each night, but my plate was a little full as it was writing the stories and trying to balance two 300 level classes with papers due every night. :|

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    Shanba wrote:
    Shunned House?
    Are you sure you're qualified to run a Lovecraft game? :P
    I am shamed. I have not read that story. :( I've read most of the other major ones though. :-P

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'd like to second the notion that the sign up date should be announced a few days before the actual sign-up. I'm in here pretty much everyday but spots get eaten up so quick that even regs missed the last one.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Sign-ups will begin Monday morning, 11/13. There will be 40 people in this game. If we can't wrangle up 40 people, then we'll make do with less and just tweak the mechanics accordingly. It'll be generally first-come first-served, but if more than 40 people are interested, priority will be given to those who haven't played before.

Please do not sign up unless you're serious about playing, because we don't want to have to off people for non-participation, but we will if we have to to keep things running smoothly. I'll also probably change your title to something derogatory and lock it for a week to point out to others how much you suck.

The portion of the rules that are going to be made public will be announced at this time, so you folks know what you're getting into.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm totally going to eat all of you again this time, whether I'm evil or not.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Sign-ups will begin Monday morning, 11/13. There will be 40 people in this game. If we can't wrangle up 40 people, then we'll make do with less and just tweak the mechanics accordingly. It'll be generally first-come first-served, but if more than 40 people are interested, priority will be given to those who haven't played before.

Please do not sign up unless you're serious about playing, because we don't want to have to off people for non-participation, but we will if we have to to keep things running smoothly. I'll also probably change your title to something derogatory and lock it for a week to point out to others how much you suck.

The portion of the rules that are going to be made public will be announced at this time, so you folks know what you're getting into.

Awesome punishment for non-participation 8)

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    too bad there's no really effective way of going about the people who do an average of one post per day.

I mean, even though people could slip by doing that, how many people did Shinto off last thread?

Anyway, my only major beef with mega games is that it seriously cuts down on detective work when you have to look at 40 different people and their interactions with others.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Tarranon wrote:
    too bad there's no really effective way of going about the people who do an average of one post per day.

I mean, even though people could slip by doing that, how many people did Shinto off last thread?

Anyway, my only major beef with mega games is that it seriously cuts down on detective work when you have to look at 40 different people and their interactions with others.

I think he offed like 6 or so people from not participating.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The major problem I see with the monsters being able to convert someone to their cause is this: if the person converted hasn't really been participating much, it's no big deal for them to be converted. However, if they were in a position like kakos or Tarranon or I last game, then they're loaded with sensitive information and their conversion guarantees the villagers will lose the game.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    MuffinNogginMuffinNoggin Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If there is just one set of specials, then yeah the game is pretty much lost for the villagers. If there are lots of groups (kinda like Shinto's game) I don't think it'd be as devastating to the villagers. Unless all of the specials in the game were in touch. But then the monsters would be pretty screwed at that point. I'm getting the impression that this next game is going to have a bunch of specials, but I didn't see that in my quick glance over this thread so maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

I think a lot of one-off specials (like, one-time vigilante or one-time protect... you get the idea) might be interesting. I've also toyed with the idea of monsters not being aware that they are monsters (I was thinking of werewolves at the time) and half the game would be people trying to figure out if they are monsters or not. I'm not sure how that could work without making it too complicated or too easy for them though.

MuffinNoggin on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm getting the impression that this next game is going to have a bunch of specials, but I didn't see that in my quick glance over this thread so maybe I'm not remembering correctly.
    That was mine and Kusu's idea. I don't know how many this one is going to have.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think I'll sign up for this, but only as a reserve player. I was a terrible player in #4, so I don't want to bring the village down if there's better players available.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2006
    If there is just one set of specials, then yeah the game is pretty much lost for the villagers. If there are lots of groups (kinda like Shinto's game) I don't think it'd be as devastating to the villagers. Unless all of the specials in the game were in touch. But then the monsters would be pretty screwed at that point. I'm getting the impression that this next game is going to have a bunch of specials, but I didn't see that in my quick glance over this thread so maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

I'm glad I'm in charge of the numbers (as much as anybody) and not the rest of the peanut gallery.

The conversion thing is basically just a delayed thrall (shows up as normal when seered), only if seered afterwards, is evil. It's only useful in the infiltration sense if the monsters get lucky, or for some reason, decide to leave confirmed humans alive for some inexlicable reason.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    The conversion thing is basically just a delayed thrall (shows up as normal when seered), only if seered afterwards, is evil. It's only useful in the infiltration sense if the monsters get lucky, or for some reason, decide to leave confirmed humans alive for some inexlicable reason.

Do we know if the monster conversion thing is random or targeted? If it's targeted it's a bit better than the whole thrall thing.

Also, ElJeffe you might want to divide the available spaces into two sign up times for people in other time zones/weird schedules.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MuffinNogginMuffinNoggin Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Aroduc wrote:

This has me kind of confused, will the thrall be predetermined from the start? If so, will they know they are a thrall from the start or would they be informed later?

I guess I'm asking is if they are a stealth monster, a random villager who is rudely made into a monster, or specific person ignorant of their own nature. If it is the latter, doesn't seem as big of an advantage to the monsters in late game, knowing how everyone loves them some bandwagons. They'd probably get offed by chance before the monsters manage to make use of them.

Meh, I'm being awfully nosy before everything has been decided on. Just curious.

MuffinNoggin on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    It will be a normal villager that is turned into a monster.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Also seeing as the monster imbue thing is already going to be a big help, in addition to all of this non-information, in addition to whatever else you cook up to disadvantage the village, I'm going to voice that I think it'd be a really bad idea to let them imbue a special role. Unless there's some counteracting village buff I'm not aware of.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen