As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC games DRM and whatnot

AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm going to be putting together a new computer over the weekend and I wanted to get some games. Since I haven't played a PC game since WoW I don't necessarily have to get the latest things to come out. Here are some games I think I'd be interested in:

Bioshock
Orange Box
Crysis
whatever the last Quake was
Unreal, something after Tournament 2003
Fallout 3

In order to stretch my buck a bit farther I thought I might try to pick some of these up used on ebay or craigslist or something. However, since I'm so out of the loop I don't know if some of these are register only once or locked in some other way that makes getting them secondhand a bad idea. Anyone know the specifics on any of these? Also, any other games that would be cool that came out in the last 3 or 4 years.

Thanks!

I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
AtomBomb on

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, Bioshock is one of those "Install a limited number of times on X number of machines!" dealy. Quite frankly I don't know if that limit was removed (They promised they would remove it later), but It's something to watch out for.

The Orange Box you CANNOT get used. Well, not in the normal sense. It's tied to a Steam account, and unless they sell you the account itself you can do nothing with the game once it's been bound to one.

Crysis (1) is ok with DRM, Crysis: Warhead has, if I'm not mistaken, one of those limited installs dealy too.

As for recommendations... hmmm, Company of Heroes + Xpak? It's damn fun game that's way more about the frontline than base building (but there is base building). I'm just waiting to get my machine fixed up to give it another go.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, just get on steam and pick up some cheap games until you can afford the newer stuff. Dawn of War Gold and Company of Heroes are both a ton of game for not much money, if you're into RTS. If shooters are your thing, well, there's a ton of those on there too. Buying used PC games is asking for trouble, especially off of craigslist or ebay. I won't buy a used game unless I can see it in person first.

zilo on
  • theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, I'd buy these on Steam. Most of those have fallen below $50 (Bioshock is $20, Orange Box is $30, etc). Plus, Steam has 50-75% off deals every single weekend.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thanks for the tips! Where will the Steam deals show up? I figure I can get by on demos and wait for a good price.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Usually they're right on the homepage/pop up when you log into steam. If not check out the store tab, and they are usually on the store frontpage.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Someone generally posts in the Steam thread too if there's something juicy.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The limited installs on Bioshock were removed a while back.

Tav on
  • ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Last weekend I picked up Team fortress 2 for 9.99, sweet deal at that.

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down