As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Source Mod] NeoTokyo: It's Not Dead! (NSF 56k)

JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
If you were into the UT 2K4 modding scene back in the day you might have happened upon a little ol' mod with big dreams called NeoTokyo. A cyper-punk setting with a few homages to such anime classics as Ghost In The Shell (source of at least one of the weapon designs and a few game mechanics), it had some of the best art direction to be seen on a mod team.

Their plan was always to make the transition to the Source engine, before HL2 had even been officially released, but when the SDK hit everything quieted down significantly. Luckily for us, it turns out that it hasn't gone the way of so many other ambitious Total Conversions, as they've been releasing news pretty frequently now and have even released a trailer!

NeoTokyo
nt_map_iyashi_wide.jpg
nt_map_yokocho_wide.jpg
nt_map_nijo_wide.jpg
nt_map_ujiwa_wide.jpg
nt_map_nakatsu_wide.jpg
nt_map_saitama_wide.jpg

It's coming, and it looks fucking hot.
NeoTokyo Official Site
Hi-Def Trailer

qcklw92m98s0.png
Jaunty on

• chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I played this on UT2k4!
    And it was not remarkable.
    But this looks pretty neat. Any gameplay features that stand out?

chasehatesbears on
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I played this on UT2k4!
    And it was not remarkable.
    But this looks pretty neat. Any gameplay features that stand out?

Not really that I can think of. From what I remember it was a solid capture-point/flag based game with three classes and wave-spawning that was good fun while the community was lively. Most of my interest comes from the setting and art style, and if I had to pick out a serious weakness I'd say that it's the team's affinity for huge maps. They look awesome but they play like shit for a burgeoning mod because of low initial server population.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I followed this way back in the UT2K4 days. Great to see it's still alive. While I'd always thought it would work better as a singleplayer mod rather than multiplayer, it was still fun to play with a few friends.

Can't help but be amused by the fact that the objective is a cybernetic torso.

Suriko on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Was secretly hoping for a remake of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZAoyaMduDA&feature=related

The_Scarab on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If only this were singleplayer.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited December 2008
    Yeah it really does seem it would lend itself more to a single player game but everybody and their mother wants to do it up all multi-player like these days.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I enjoyed this mod when it was for UT2k4 and was sad because the community was almost dead when I started playing it. Hopefully this is as fun and I can fuck around and have a good time. At any rate it certainly looks nice, I'm not a huge anime fan or anything but I love the style this has going for it. :^:

I haven't checked the main site yet but any idea on when it's going to be released?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    For a second, I thought one of those screenshots had a gun with a bunch of LCD screens popping out of it. I am disappointed this is not the case.

Dartboy on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Why does that robot have nipples.

Pointy nipples.

Buttcleft on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There guns...the pointy nipple is the barrel. No one expects to get shot like that

Dixon on
    edited December 2008
    Darmak wrote: »
    I enjoyed this mod when it was for UT2k4 and was sad because the community was almost dead when I started playing it. Hopefully this is as fun and I can fuck around and have a good time. At any rate it certainly looks nice, I'm not a huge anime fan or anything but I love the style this has going for it. :^:

I haven't checked the main site yet but any idea on when it's going to be released?

Don't think so, but they've been all but silent for a few years now and suddenly the updates are coming thick and fast, so that's a good sign I guess.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • GibbGibb Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Was secretly hoping for a remake of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZAoyaMduDA&feature=related

"Cross Now"

Oh my god, that level is ace. Totally Blade Runner.

Gibb on
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Jaunty wrote: »
    Yeah it really does seem it would lend itself more to a single player game but everybody and their mother wants to do it up all multi-player like these days.

Apparently you weren't very active in the modding communities. This is not a new trend. This game looks awesome and will hopefully play better than Dystopia.

Also, cyberpunk is not fucking anime. Unless, you know, Gibson is secretly Japanese.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    why is Japan the only possible location for cyberpunk

what the fuck, genre, what have you done to yourself

Iriah on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Faffel wrote: »

Apparently you weren't very active in the modding communities. This is not a new trend. This game looks awesome and will hopefully play better than Dystopia.

Also, cyberpunk is not fucking anime. Unless, you know, Gibson is secretly Japanese.

I don't think anyone is claiming cyberpunk is anime. But even Bladerunner had Japanese influences in it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited December 2008

I don't think anyone is claiming cyberpunk is anime. But even Bladerunner had Japanese influences in it.

"I'm not a huge anime fan or anything but I love the style this has going for it."

Sounds confused to say the least. Also, wasn't Blade Runner a heavily Chinese/Korean culture and not Japanese? Gibson's cyberpunk was more Japanese.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Iriah wrote: »
    why is Japan the only possible location for cyberpunk

what the fuck, genre, what have you done to yourself
    Because nobody gives a fuck about Seattle, I'd guess.

Just think about it, it's almost like an instilled reaction. Seattle? Whats it got going for it? Coffee, some romance movies or somesuch? Pffft.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and grunge.

Sorenson on
    edited December 2008
    Stop saying bladerunner god damnit.

or I'm going to have to go buy the damn dvd and watch it again.

Buttcleft on
    edited December 2008

"I'm not a huge anime fan or anything but I love the style this has going for it."

Sounds confused to say the least. Also, wasn't Blade Runner a heavily Chinese/Korean culture and not Japanese? Gibson's cyberpunk was more Japanese.

How does that sound confused? This definitely has an anime style going for it and I like that, even if I don't like a lot of anime.

Also, nowhere did I mention anything about cyberpunk.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited December 2008

Well this has an obvious anime influence, and also happens to be cyberpunk.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited December 2008
    I don't really see anime here and I used to be quite a weeaboo. It's more... futuristic Japan with a heavy corporate cyberpunk bend. It's anime in the same way that anything involving Japan is influenced by anime, I suppose.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2008
    And I'm sure there's never been an anime made with a futuristic Japan with a heavy corporate cyberpunk bend. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited December 2008
    I don't really see anime here and I used to be quite a weeaboo. It's more... futuristic Japan with a heavy corporate cyberpunk bend. It's anime in the same way that anything involving Japan is influenced by anime, I suppose.

Anime is perhaps the wrong word. Japanese might be more appropriate.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited December 2008
    But that doesn't mean that this is heavily influenced by anime simply because anime has used the same setting. I mean, I'm sure it is heavily influenced by anime because I certainly wouldn't care to make something about Japan after I finished with my anime obsession. But your reasons for claiming that are silly and it doesn't come forth in the visual presentation, nor the subject matter.

Perfect.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2008
    Faffel I think you should just leave this one alone. It's all semantics.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited December 2008
    Okay, everythings been done before and will be redone again despite having no connection or inspiration from the previous items that had done the items which henceforth will inevitably done again.

Buttcleft on
  • SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Looks kinda like Dystopia, minus the super high tech and awesome Cyber space bits.

Although the art direction is fucking ace.

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Most of Japan is actually does have a futuristic cyberpunk theme.

At least that's what I've heard.

chasehatesbears on
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

The cyberpunk = japanese thing is mostly a result of cyberpunk originating in the 80s and early 90s, when Japanese companies were routinely ahead of American ones when it came to technology. The corporocentric (I just made that word up) culture in Japan plus the tendency of Japanese companies to be the first to market new technologies to consumers made Japan the place for semi-dystopian futurisitic fiction.

At the time it made perfect sense that in the future every high-tech company would be Japanese, and if corporations kept getting bigger and bigger (as was the trend) then eventually they'd supplant nations as the dominant political structure.

In hindsight this is all a bit silly, but cyberpunk hasn't really let go of its roots. Mostly because Gibson was one hell of a founding father for the genre and everyone wants to be as awesome as him.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
    edited December 2008

I just hate hearing the word anime used to describe anything vaguely Japanese. Fuck anime, it's not the only thing Japan has to offer. I also hate Japanophiles who think that because of anime, everything else related to Japan is automatically superior.

It's a fascinating, vastly different culture, but they didn't create futuristic settings and anime isn't the reason Japan is great. Putting kanji characters on buildings and a Japanese skin over generic sci-fi city 1001 does not make it anime.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2008
    Snow Crash was way better cyberpunk that Neuromancer!

edit: if anyone disagrees I'm sure you can be made to see Reason.

Iriah on
    edited December 2008

I've read Snow Crash a few times but thought it was kind of juvenile and simple compared to Neuromancer. I read Neuromancer once when I was 13, then again this year and it really engrossed me this time around.

Reason sure is great, though. But not as great as Wintermute.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2008
    It's juvenile because it's satirising the complete seriousness of Neuromancer! If anything, Neuromancer is kind of silly - everyone does drugs, everyone is unlikeable, everything is awful. Well, except for the space-Rastafarians.

Iriah on
    edited December 2008
    It's juvenile because it's satirising the complete seriousness of Neuromancer! If anything, Neuromancer is kind of silly - everyone does drugs, everyone is unlikeable, everything is awful. Well, except for the space-Rastafarians.

Space Rastas are the shit. Also, I thought Neuromancer's characters were really likable. There's a real aura of anti-charisma surrounding the whole thing.

I dunno. I enjoyed Snow Crash more when I first read it when I was quite a bit younger. Uncle Enzo was fantastic, though.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2008
    Although they did say that Ghost in the Shell was a major influence back in the 2K4 days, it has no direct affiliation with any anime and is very much its own game. If you're thinking "well, I'm not really into that whole scene with the kids these days and their animes" don't give it a pass! It stands well on its own and that's speaking from a pre-beta proof of concept mod they released out of boredom while waiting for source to drop.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
    edited December 2008

I just hate hearing the word anime used to describe anything vaguely Japanese. Fuck anime, it's not the only thing Japan has to offer. I also hate Japanophiles who think that because of anime, everything else related to Japan is automatically superior.

It's a fascinating, vastly different culture, but they didn't create futuristic settings and anime isn't the reason Japan is great. Putting kanji characters on buildings and a Japanese skin over generic sci-fi city 1001 does not make it anime.

I totally agree with you here but you shouldn't make something out of nothing.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2008
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Why does that robot have nipples.

Pointy nipples.

Ghost in the Shell is why.

A duck! on
  • DuoRCNDuoRCN Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Glad to see this mod is still in the works. I remember seeing it back in 05 and thinking it looked cool.

DuoRCN on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

I've read Snow Crash a few times but thought it was kind of juvenile and simple compared to Neuromancer. I read Neuromancer once when I was 13, then again this year and it really engrossed me this time around.

Reason sure is great, though. But not as great as Wintermute.

They both suck compared to the Hendrix

n29208.jpg

Also Blade Runner used a lot of asian characters and symbols, not just Japanese

And what the fuck, of course it's cyberpunk, it's just more heavily influenced by Ghost in the Shell than anything else, and Ghost in the Shell happens to be an anime

Anyway, I hope that it is fun because it looks cool as fuck, but there have been mods before that have disappointed on that front

edit: oh, one thing that no one's mentioned: the mod is getting it's own OST

I've listened to a bit and it's not bad. Little generic, but better than most other mods music

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What will set this apart from Dystopia?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!