As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS1 on the PSP and PS3. Pricing on page 7!

• Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited November 2006
    titmouse wrote:
    A lot of those games have aged horribly.
    soul blade has aged a hell of a lot better than tekken 3 if you ask me

bongi on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    All I know is, if they bring out FFT with this(doubtful), if they change it around other than controls and resolution to work with the PSP, I will be angry.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Raslin wrote:
    All I know is, if they bring out FFT with this(doubtful), if they change it around other than controls and resolution to work with the PSP, I will be angry.

I heard they are going to add judges and moogles.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Drez on
  • Options
    Ninja BotNinja Bot Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Stupid speculation, I really doubt they'd be that tarded. If the PSX emulator really took up a mass amount of space they could just let you put it on a memory stick, right?

Ninja Bot on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Graviija wrote:
    Once FFVIII appears as downloadable, I will buy the ever loving hell out of it.

FFVIII anywhere = awesome.
    Why would you want to play FFVIII anyplace other than at home? RPGs aren't supposed to be played for short periods of time.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Ninja Bot wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Stupid speculation, I really doubt they'd be that tarded. If the PSX emulator really took up a mass amount of space they could just let you put it on a memory stick, right?
    I don't think the speculation is that stupid.

1) Sony has done nothing but act in an illogical manner recently.
    2) Why else would you have a survey worded that way?

Unless the survey is fake, which it may be - I don't know, I don't think the speculation on it is off-base at all.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    titmouse wrote:
    Graviija wrote:

Why would you want to play FFVIII anyplace other than at home? RPGs aren't supposed to be played for short periods of time.

There are plenty of very lengthy RPGs for the PSP already. There's no different between playing FFVIII on the PSP and playing these other RPGs.

You know what'd be cool? An FFVII/FFVIII combo UMD.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    Graviija wrote:

There are plenty of very lengthy RPGs for the PSP already. There's no different between playing FFVIII on the PSP and playing these other RPGs.
    Don't most of the RPGs made for the PSP allow you to save anywhere? I don't get why you would want to play an RPG that isn't designed for portable play on the PSP or to be played in short bursts just because it will be portable.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    titmouse wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    Graviija wrote:

Don't most of the RPGs made for the PSP allow you to save anywhere? I don't get why you would want to play an RPG that isn't designed for portable play on the PSP or to be played in short bursts just because it will be portable.

There really isn't much distance between save spots in Final Fantasy VIII, if memory serves, and I think you can save anywhere on the overworld.

And people want it because they want it...sometimes there's really no other way to define it. I occasionally play the PSP stretched out on my bed for an hour or two. *shrug*

It's really just kind of cool to have Final Fantasy VII/VIII running on your PSP.

Drez on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Five US dollars for a psx game? Seems a bit fishy to me. It will probably end up being crappy first party titles at that price.

It was made by SCEI, so technically they could put Alundra on there if they didn't loathe the second dimension.

Hopefully they spare us 989's back catalogue. ;)

They could easily get the first two Twisted Metal games on there as well as the original Syphon Filter.

Surely they'll get Konami/etc. onboard for this though, otherwise there's no real point.

$5 is pretty fishy, to be honest that's overpriced for 95% of the games that will be on this for a while.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Five US dollars for a psx game? Seems a bit fishy to me. It will probably end up being crappy first party titles at that price.
    $5 is pretty fishy, to be honest that's overpriced for 95% of the games that will be on this for a while.
    And possibly underpriced too. Square could either port FFVII to the PSP, or even just remake it, and charge full price for easily. I can't imagine them just giving it away for 5 bucks. But I guess we'll see what happens.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    A DS remake for FFVII is more likely now, considering what they've done with FFIII. With new compression and the largest DS card size, it's very possible. It'd make more sense, too, with the way Square is acting now. Revenant Wings and the such.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Have they announced any good games for the PSP yet?

Zoolander on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Zoolander wrote:
    Have they announced any good games for the PSP yet?

Portable Ops will be one of the best games I play, ever, much less on PSP.

So yes, good games are on the system, and have been.

Kami on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    And possibly underpriced too. Square could either port FFVII to the PSP, or even just remake it, and charge full price for easily. I can't imagine them just giving it away for 5 bucks. But I guess we'll see what happens.

Why would Square port or remake FFVII at all? That won't happen until the company is months away from bankruptcy.

Zoolander: Every Extra Extend just came out in the US two days ago. If you like Warning Forever and the billions of other homebrew shmups that exist it's worth checking out.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Personally, I'm waiting for Diablo.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Or they could just port it to the PSP, not put it on the service, and charge full price for the UMD of it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    A DS remake for FFVII is more likely now, considering what they've done with FFIII. With new compression and the largest DS card size, it's very possible. It'd make more sense, too, with the way Square is acting now. Revenant Wings and the such.

A DS remake is...not possible whatsoever. Unless they completely fuck the graphics, that's not going to happen.

Also, the largest DS cart size, I believe, is 128 megabytes, isn't it? That's about 1/10 of what you'd need even with massive re-compression for Final Fantasy VII.

Drez on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Neo Rasa wrote:

Why would Square port or remake FFVII at all? That won't happen until the company is months away from bankruptcy.
    Because at this point they've done everything BUT rerelease it. Snowboarding game, that cellphone Turks game, Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core (if it's still coming)... probably one or two more I'm forgetting.

I'm not saying they will remake or port it. But if they announced it tomorrow I don't think anybody would be shocked. And knowing them, they probably would want to save it and release at full price rather than throw it out there for 5 bucks.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    EGM mentioned last month that it was confirmed (even though I have heard nothing about it at all from anywhere else!) that FF I-VI would see remakes on the psp. Not just ports. I seriously doubt this. I could see VII on the psp as part of this program, it is a mid to early PSX title that has been sucessfully ported before.
    Drez wrote:
    A DS remake is...not possible whatsoever. Unless they completely fuck the graphics, that's not going to happen.

Let's see... No, actually, its more than possible. Someone who is working on a high res source port of FF 7 posts his progress on this very forum very often, and said that without redunant data or FMV that the game is sub 30 MB. So if you ported it and redid/recompressed the FMV you could easily fit it on a DS cart. I still think a PSP port/remake is much more likely.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:

Also, the largest DS cart size, I believe, is 128 megabytes, isn't it? That's about 1/10 of what you'd need even with massive re-compression for Final Fantasy VII.
    Isn't most of the data the same on the discs except for the cutscenes?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:

Have you seen FFIII? If there's any difference in quality between the characters of that and those in FFVII, the ones in III are better. Compression has become ridiculously more advanced than it used to be in the days of FFVII.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    EGM mentioned last month that it was confirmed (even though I have heard nothing about it at all from anywhere else!) that FF I-VI would see remakes on the psp. Not just ports. I seriously doubt this. I could see VII on the psp as part of this program, it is a mid to early PSX title that has been sucessfully ported before.
    Drez wrote:

Let's see... No, actually, its more than possible. Someone who is working on a high res source port of FF 7 posts his progress on this very forum very often, and said that without redunant data or FMV that the game is sub 30 MB. So if you ported it and redid/recompressed the FMV you could easily fit it on a DS cart. I still think a PSP port/remake is much more likely.

"or FMV" being the key point here...FMV and the audio took up most of the disc space. It was three discs. I don't think FMV compression has improved as much as people think it has in the last nine years.

Mai-Kero: I couldn't find a good Final Fantasy VII gameplay video, but just googletube for some FMVs which are impressive for a 1997 game and I don't think would display nearly the same on the NDS... And, yes, I think Final Fantasy VII's graphics are superior to Final Fantasy III's. Final Fantasy III is more colorful, perhaps, but overall FF7 is a little more graphically impressive.

I'd be extremely shocked if Final Fantasy VII ever shows up on the Nintendo DS.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Drez wrote:

"or FMV" being the key point here...FMV and the audio took up most of the disc space. It was three discs. I don't think FMV compression has improved as much as people think it has in the last nine years.

Mai-Kero: I couldn't find a good Final Fantasy VII gameplay video, but just googletube for some FMVs which are impressive for a 1997 game and I don't think would display nearly the same on the NDS... And, yes, I think Final Fantasy VII's graphics are superior to Final Fantasy III's. Final Fantasy III is more colorful, perhaps, but overall FF7 is a little more graphically impressive.

Aside from art style differences, FFIII models have higher poly counts, which, admittedly, doesn't count for much, but they also have better quality textures, and are generally just WAY more advanced than the FFVII ones were. I'm not sure what kind of compression DS uses for background images, but didn't Contact have some really nice ones?

There's nothing besides some of the FMVs that would be at all hard to do on the DS. All the FMVs could be done in a better way.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Actually, Tales of Eternia (just about one of my favorite PSP games) was originally a 3 disc PSX Rpg, and they've managed to shrink it down for the PSP.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    bongi wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:
    Top 5 titles they'd better fucking make available:

1. Soul Blade
    2. Metal Gear Solid
    3. FFVIII
    4. Soul Blade
    5. Soul Blade

Seriously.
    "fixed lol"

etc. etc.

Soul Blade has aged horribly. It looks like concentrated shit and the gameplay is as wooden and clunky as Pinochio.

As for Final Fantasy VII, there's nothing in it that would tax the DS aside from the FMVs. I'd like to see them recompress the first and last one, and just redo the others in engine or remove them entirely as needed. Things like panning over new areas is just annoying now. "Whooo look at the 3D. It's soooo amazing!"

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Drez wrote:

Aside from art style differences, FFIII models have higher poly counts, which, admittedly, doesn't count for much, but they also have better quality textures, and are generally just WAY more advanced than the FFVII ones were. I'm not sure what kind of compression DS uses for background images, but didn't Contact have some really nice ones?

There's nothing besides some of the FMVs that would be at all hard to do on the DS. All the FMVs could be done in a better way.

OK, then. Don't get your hopes up, though. Even if you could compress Final Fantasy VII into a single megabyte, I don't think we'll ever see it on the Nintendo DS...for one thing the Final Fantasy VII intro was remade to showcase the PS3's power (not that I really believe there will be a PS3 remake, but you never know). Granted, I'm sure their relationship with Sony has changed then, but Final Fantasy VII has always pretty much been a Sony property as much as it's been a Square Enix property. Sony would probably do everything they could to keep FF7 from showing up anywhere but on the PSP or PS3, even if it were feasible to release it for the Nintendo DS (which I doubt will happen). Also, Square Enix already released Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth to moderate success on the PSP. All their other ports have been to the GBA because, frankly, nobody expects much improvement when porting to the GBA. It's a nice system to throw shit at without the consumer saying "well, why didn't you include 80 gigs of FMV and speech and 5.1 surround orchestrated soundtrack this time around?" because it's just not expected. With the NDS and the PSP, people expect a little more out of a port - people expect use of the NDS features for NDS ports/overhauls, and people expect at least some visual enhancement, or some added FMVs, or something with a PSP port/overhaul. Ports are usually done with some upgrade in mind, not a downgrade...so unless they can either laterally port Final Fantasy VII to the NDS or enhance it somehow, visually, you're not going to see it on the NDS...it would be asinine for Square to release it any other way rather than in an upgraded state. Final Fantasy VII sold PlayStations...it's kind of a big deal and it won't just be ported willy-nilly like the rest of the Final Fantasies have been.

Also, I think you're missing the point of a "port." People don't want the FMVs "done in a better way" unless you are talking about technology/compression, strictly. I want the FMVs to be exactly as they were, and I'd willing to bet an overwhelming majority of the people that want a Final Fantasy VII port feel the same way as I do. The FMVs need to be exactly as they are now.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Actually, Tales of Eternia (just about one of my favorite PSP games) was originally a 3 disc PSX Rpg, and they've managed to shrink it down for the PSP.

Tales of Eternia is about 900 megs (I have the European UMD and dumped it for the hell of it). And that's compressed. I think you're kind of making my point for me here: Tales of Eternia and something like Valkyrie Profile will never ever be ported to the Nintendo DS, and I think Final Fantasy VII falls into the same category.

UMD capacity (2 gigs max, I think?) isn't really comparable to NDS cart capacity which is a max of 128 megs...1/16 of what a PSP UMD can hold.

People may be getting the impression here that I'm some sort of Sony or PSP fanboy which is not the case...I much prefer my Nintendo DS and if I'm wrong about them being able to laterally port Final Fantasy VII to it, then I'd probably be happier than the people suggesting it will happen.

But, being realistic, I don't think it ever will.

Drez on
  • Options
    AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:
    OK, then. Don't get your hopes up, though. Even if you could compress Final Fantasy VII into a single megabyte, I don't think we'll ever see it on the Nintendo DS...for one thing the Final Fantasy VII intro was remade to showcase the PS3's power (not that I really believe there will be a PS3 remake, but you never know). Granted, I'm sure their relationship with Sony has changed then, but Final Fantasy VII has always pretty much been a Sony property as much as it's been a Square Enix property. Sony would probably do everything they could to keep FF7 from showing up anywhere but on the PSP or PS3, even if it were feasible to release it for the Nintendo DS (which I doubt will happen). Also, Square Enix already released Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth to moderate success on the PSP. All their other ports have been to the GBA because, frankly, nobody expects much improvement when porting to the GBA. It's a nice system to throw shit at without the consumer saying "well, why didn't you include 80 gigs of FMV and speech and 5.1 surround orchestrated soundtrack this time around?" because it's just not expected. With the NDS and the PSP, people expect a little more out of a port - people expect use of the NDS features for NDS ports/overhauls, and people expect at least some visual enhancement, or some added FMVs, or something with a PSP port/overhaul. Ports are usually done with some upgrade in mind, not a downgrade...so unless they can either laterally port Final Fantasy VII to the NDS or enhance it somehow, visually, you're not going to see it on the NDS...it would be asinine for Square to release it any other way rather than in an upgraded state. Final Fantasy VII sold PlayStations...it's kind of a big deal and it won't just be ported willy-nilly like the rest of the Final Fantasies have been.

3007_xeno10.jpg

3007_xeno06.jpg

3007_xeno09.jpg

Xenosaga? Xenosaga! :P

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    bongi wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:
    Top 5 titles they'd better fucking make available:

1. Soul Blade
    2. Metal Gear Solid
    3. FFVIII
    4. Soul Blade
    5. Soul Blade

Seriously.
    "fixed lol"

etc. etc.

Soul Blade has aged horribly. It looks like concentrated shit and the gameplay is as wooden and clunky as Pinochio.

As for Final Fantasy VII, there's nothing in it that would tax the DS aside from the FMVs. I'd like to see them recompress the first and last one, and just redo the others in engine or remove them entirely as needed. Things like panning over new areas is just annoying now. "Whooo look at the 3D. It's soooo amazing!"

Yes, let's entirely remove many of the the FMVs in an RPG advertised and consumed as "cinematic." :roll:

No.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:

3007_xeno10.jpg

3007_xeno06.jpg

3007_xeno09.jpg

Xenosaga? Xenosaga! :P

Notice the Japanese characters? They release a lot of dumb shit over there. I highly doubt we'll get a localized version of that, and even if we did, I have no desire for it.

EDIT: Also, that's a completely different-styled remake. It's as different as Final Fantasy XII and Revenant Wings, even if it does cover the same story. Not at all the same thing as porting Final Fantasy VII.

Drez on
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:

Tales of Eternia is about 900 megs (I have the European UMD and dumped it for the hell of it). And that's compressed. I think you're kind of making my point for me here: Tales of Eternia and something like Valkyrie Profile will never ever be ported to the Nintendo DS, and I think Final Fantasy VII falls into the same category.

UMD capacity (2 gigs max, I think?) isn't really comparable to NDS cart capacity which is a max of 128 megs...1/16 of what a PSP UMD can hold.

People may be getting the impression here that I'm some sort of Sony or PSP fanboy which is not the case...I much prefer my Nintendo DS and if I'm wrong about them being able to laterally port Final Fantasy VII to it, then I'd probably be happier than the people suggesting it will happen.

The max DS cart size isn't 128MB, not by any stretch. They haven't made any games big enough to bother making the cart size any bigger. The fact remains that I am a believer in possible power of compression ever since the miracle that is Resident Evil 2 for the N64 came out. A two disk ps2 game in just over 30MB. Amazing.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:

The max DS cart size isn't 128MB, not by any stretch. They haven't made any games big enough to bother making the cart size any bigger. The fact remains that I am a believer in possible power of compression ever since the miracle that is Resident Evil 2 for the N64 came out. A two disk ps2 game in just over 30MB. Amazing.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo has gone on record stating that they will never release a Nintendo DS game larger than 128 megs.

I am trying to find that information now.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Compression can make a huge difference. What format did the FF7 cutscenes for the PS1 version use anyway?
    http://cube.ign.com/articles/372/372837p1.html
    We started looking into the best compression codecs available and there simply is nothing else than MPEG-4 when you try to get DVD-movie quality in a third or a quarter of the space of a movie-DVD.
    wikipedia wrote:
    Video compression can make video files far smaller with little perceptible loss in quality. For example, DVDs use a video coding standard called MPEG-2 that makes the movie 15 to 30 times smaller while still producing a picture quality that is generally considered high quality for standard-definition video.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_ds#Specs
    Card Size

* Data size: Up to 1 gigabit ( = 1024 Mb or 128 MB).
    * Physical size: 33.0 × 35.0 × 3.8 mm
    * Weight: About 4 grams

The system's 3D hardware performs transform and lighting, texture-coordinate transformation, texture mapping, alpha blending, anti-aliasing, cel shading and z-buffering. However, it uses Point (nearest neighbor) texture filtering, leading to some titles having a blocky appearance. The system is theoretically capable of rendering 120,000 triangles per second at 30 frames per second. Unlike most 3D hardware, it has a limit on the number of triangles it can render as part of a single scene; this limit is somewhere in the region of 4000 triangles. The 3D hardware is designed to render to a single screen at a time, so rendering 3D to both screens is difficult and decreases performance significantly.

The system has two 2D engines, one per screen. These are similar to (but more powerful than) the Game Boy Advance's 2D engine.

Games use a proprietary solid state ROM "Game Card" format resembling the memory cards used in other portable electronic devices such as digital cameras. It currently supports cards up to 1 gigabit[7] in size. The cards always have a small amount of flash memory or an EEPROM to save user data, for example progress in a game or high scores. The game cards are 33.0 × 35.0 × 3.8 mm, and weigh around 3.5 grams (1/8 ounces).

So...yeah. 128 megs maximum. I know there is a 512 flash cart out there for homebrew/piracy/whatever, so I don't know where that figure comes from - I guess 512 meg carts work in the NDS, but I know I've read that the max we'll see from Nintendo is 128 megs.

Drez on
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, DS - 128 MB, UMD - 1.8 GB.

Also, I was saying about Tales of Eternia that if that could be shrunken down to under a GB, so could FF7. And I'm pretty sure they'll do a pretty good job compressing it. I'm estimating somewhere around 750MB?

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    titmouse wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    Graviija wrote:

Well considering the fact that they said they'd be reworking the games for the PSP - would it really be hard to toss in a quick save feature?

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, DS - 128 MB, UMD - 1.8 GB.

Also, I was saying about Tales of Eternia that if that could be shrunken down to under a GB, so could FF7. And I'm pretty sure they'll do a pretty good job compressing it. I'm estimating somewhere around 750MB?

Oh, definitely. I don't doubt they could compress FF7 into a UMD. I bet they could fit FF7 and FF8 onto a single UMD if they wanted to.

Drez on
  • Options
    The SphinxThe Sphinx Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Supposedly DS can address more than 1 gigabit. 2 gigabit cards may be possible.

The Sphinx on