As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mortal Online] - Powered by Unreal Engine 8

• Options
    ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Atm its nodes just like darkfall but in beta they are unlimited by come release they will be limited which means theres going to be massive swathes totally tapped out. I currently ran into an annoying CTD problem and cant fucking play but until i learn more about the damn books it may be better haha.

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Woooooh played it for a solid 4-5? hours after i fixed the crashing bug--atm theres a problem with alot of the base skills.

I highly suggest you go and edit your nowgame.config file because its set to a massive 4096 for MLoD which will cause you to crash in town. If your missing the material lore books theres a DL you can get to fix it thanks to mahti. I've been hanging around vadda and already met one of you there--if you create a char head to vadda so we can begin to coordinate. I've already started a slag hauler and i'm going to try and go full melter so i should be able to supply us with metal for a house.

Arghy on
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I kind of hate what they've done with the background skill system.

Scouts that have bow skills but can't make bows, soldiers that can't make armor and all sorts of annoying things. You can't find the basic skill books you need to make up for all the skills you dont start with. It terribly frustrating.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, the backgrounds thing is less than desirable. Sooo many skills that used to just be "basic" and you could get better at them by using them, but now you have to find a book in order to learn how to run better? I dunno, pretty lame. I get that not every character should be able to bang two rocks together and make steel. But... I think they kind of overdid it. We'll see.

But yeah, ran into Arghy in Vadda last night. After much trial and error due to horrendous lag, I finally made him a wooden spear :) . With any luck, we'll have metal soon and I can start pumping out some good swords, spears, axes, and the like. Takes a hell of a lot of your 1000 available primary skill points though, and I dunno if I'll be able to do both One-Handed and Two-Handed weapons cuz of that. Maybe if I drop my gathering skills on the crafter, but we'll see how it all works out.

They are definitely encouraging focused builds, that's for sure. Which is great and all, just hope they don't focus the fun right out of it.

Galielmus on
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Galielmus wrote: »

They are definitely encouraging focused builds, that's for sure. Which is great and all, just hope they don't focus the fun right out of it.

Agreed. I understand the reason why they're going that direction but its making life in MO impossible.

My scout uses archery and daggers. I can't make bows or weapons of any kind. So my option is to either kill things with my newbie axe or wait by a crafting table for someone to come by and pray they'll make me a bow?

The acolyte is forced to thieve to make money or kill things with his newbie axe? They made some of these classes pretty retarded. The game itself isn't very social friendly. It's difficult to communicate with others and impossible to get someone to make things for you. Everyone is wrapped up in trying to be self sufficient.

It seems like they didn't think it through.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is there a class that uses axes so off the bat I will be set?

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Is there a class that uses axes so off the bat I will be set?

Funny thing is, if there were...you'd probably start with the axe skill but not be able to make an axe to use.

Or you'd be able to craft an axe but not be able to skill up in it.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Recruit is probably the best kill-stuff friendly class right off the bat, but you'll need either friends to make you stuff or to buy some crafting books (which will eat up valuable kill-stuff skill points!). So... yeah.

Gonna have to agree with you, Walrus. This was a bad move overall. But it was a hasty decision, because apparently characters having a ton of skills was what was causing all the database lag. I have no idea how a player having skills can cause such a catastrophe, but I'm not a seasoned UE3 engine programmer.

Edit: Okay, the patch they are doing right now will supposedly allow you to learn a skill if you do it. Their example was, if you don't know how to use a sword and pick one up and swing it, you will be granted the sword skill and start using it. I have no idea how this will work for a lot of the crafting, but there you have it.

Galielmus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I picked up a spear and got the skill for it(i was desynced pretty much the entire time we talked haha). Its actually really easy to pick up the basic books esp in vadda. Theres a basic book vendor that sells all the gathering/refining skills and then theres a crafting vendor, all you need after that is to get the material lore books to ensure you can use the resources.

Remember that when you read a book you get the skill instantly but continueing to read it just slowly improves it--if you got 12 books in your inventory read 11 fast and read the 12th one slowly.

Arghy on
  • Options
    hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So is this game down the past 1-2 days or is my launcher just bugged out?

Unable to connect to remote server and error getting patch notes.

hjparcins on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was playing just a few minutes ago but I think the server may have gone down. In any case, I got some good thieving in thanks to the class frameworks starting thingy. Made a little over 24 gold and a skill book or two.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Is the flagging system broken? I've been grey'd for snooping, which isn't even supposed to flag you hidden criminal.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If you fail to snoop you go grey--if your successful your hidden criminal.

I finally got a horse which is pretty damn fun and it saved me from some PKs already haha fucking fell off the horse right when i went to flee but i managed to gtfo. I'm slowly going up on extraction and have 7 malachite and some blood ore but i really need to power calyx so i can make some coke.

Arghy on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I tried downloading the beta client (repeatedly) and keep getting the "file is corrupted" message. This game piques my interest but they're making it very hard for me to get it.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Be sure its the torrent as that one works properly.

The animal materials book is misnamed anatomy something something, i'm creating laminate armor atm and making trips to the river to get a good supply of calyx so i can begin to smelt all the ore i'm getting.

Arghy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Me and Galielmus have gathered a shitton of metal so i was thinking we could build a house and get a guild going so everyone can join for guild chat. I'm gonna do the research tonight but houses look pretty badass esp since we can build work stations inside them.

*house requirements 12,500 wood AND 7500 stone AND 7500 metal*

It builds slowly over time but with the more people clicking R makes it go faster so we dont need all of the resources there at once, you simply put the resources in a box that slowly emptys over time but people can steal from it. 2-3 people making horse runs to the bank with the resources will limit the risk of a ganker stealing the resources and multiple people spamming R bunched around the only entrance will ensure that no thief can walk inside.

Arghy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The background thing is annoying the shit out of me.

Not having the correct skill combinations and not being able to find them on any of the dozen book vendors results in annoyance. A lot of the venodrs i'm checking are missing books or have the same books the last one had. Finding the correct vendor to get the material lore book and the crafting bow book so I can craft a newbie bow is headache inducing.

I know what they were trying to do with this but they've made Mortal crazy annoying. You can't DO ANYTHING anymore without having to putz around and find the books first. No armor, the gathering, no bows, no weapons, no taming. You have to choose a class that can do only one of those and spend hours killing shit with you newbie axe and selling mats to try and find the others.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You just need to get the hang of it, always get the mining skill because you can get 1k granum in 2-3 minutes which turns around and sells back for 1k silver. Once you've gotten all the book fixes its just a simple matter of grabbing all the books you need. I was making armor within 20 minutes of getting my animal material book.

Arghy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Arghy wrote: »
    You just need to get the hang of it, always get the mining skill because you can get 1k granum in 2-3 minutes which turns around and sells back for 1k silver. Once you've gotten all the book fixes its just a simple matter of grabbing all the books you need. I was making armor within 20 minutes of getting my animal material book.

I couldn't find the correct vendors. There were multiple vendors with the same name and vendors were missing books. I never found a "basic mining knowledge" book or "Robe Crafting" book or any of the starting skills. I spent an hour walking around the town talking to all the vendors. :x

I would buy a book and try to learn it and it was say "You need Basic Long Bow Crafting." I would try to craft something and it would say "You don't have the correct material lore." When I would go around to try to find the book for the type of wood I wanted to learn the lore for, none of the material lore vendors had it. When I went looking for the Long Bow Crafting book, none of the vendors had it either. They put in this system and said "You can just buy the skills you're missing for the vendors" but none of the correct vendors have the books. Crafting Vendors don't have the starting books you need to craft, material lore vendors don't have the right lore you need, basic book vendors don't have any of these either. Their system is pretty broken.

The skills you're missing to make basic robes and basic weapons can't be found from the vendors you would think would have them. "Robe Armor Crafting" "Basic Bow Crafting" "Basic Shield Crafting" aren't on the merchants.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, server is down? cant get the updater to run.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    TroobleTrooble Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh you're probably having the updater problem I was having, for some reason it seems to work if open the updater multiple times at once. I was having quiet a few problems getting the game to work but I finally got it working thanks to the technical support section of their forums.
    I'm liking it quite a bit actually, my main problem is with the ultra lag right now because it makes combat a pain. I think I'll just keep playing it until I really get a sense of whether I want to spend $60 on it.

Trooble on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Okay, I can't get on the server. When I open the launcher it says "Error getting patch notes: operation has timed out" (it's basically unable to connect to the remote server). So I think to myself that the launcher needs to be updated, so I open it up (several times at once because that's what some people on the support forums recommend) and I either get the message, "Unable connect to the remote server" or "An exception occurred during a WebClient request".

This game really doesn't want me to play it.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Does it not allow you to play though? mine would always never get the patch notes but i'd be able to play. I just spent nearly 2 hours trying to find morin khur only to realize that i went left instead of right so instead of heading straight for it i went on this huge round about way filled with dead ends that never truly went to morin khur. At the end of the ride when i finally saw the path i looked behind me to see the very same shore i had stood at 2 hours ago not 2 minutes away by horse.

Turns out i cant fucking refine because i only have hearth skill but not kiln skill so first i need to find a hearth then skill up to a kiln.

Arghy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No, it does not allow me to play. And I don't really feel like jumping through all the mirror and torrent sites for individual patches when they really should have thought this part through before the open beta.

They make a big deal about being different from most MMOs, yah? Well most MMOs work when I click on the launcher! Mission accomplished!

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Honestly, in a skill advancement game like this, buying books is a totally unnecessary hurdle. Let us buy books or training to increase the skill to a certain point, but buying books just to HAVE the skill is ridiculous.

I've said it before, but unless this game makes some changes to allow people to drop in game and start adventuring right away, WITHOUT needing to be a crafter, it's going to turn away a lot of potential players.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah this is the first MMO free beta that i've seen people actively turning down and it boggles my mind haha--how bad do you need to be when people pass up your free product.

Arghy on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You must've not frequented the Free MMO thread much, then.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well thats F2P MMOs and those are usually horrid where this is actually a decent P2P MMO with good code.

Heres a working map http://www.navemap.com/myrland I'll soon be moving from vadda to bakti as it has a crusher instead of a grinder which means better yields and calyx is really close.

Arghy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This game is losing the luster fast for me.

The book business really stinks. I can't imagine logging in to play it for more than 30 mins.

Thank god for Open Beta.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Heh same beginning to question why i bother logging in when its super laggy and i cant find anyone to play with cause they went 21ft away and now we cant find each other.

Arghy on
  • Options
    NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well thats F2P MMOs and those are usually horrid where this is actually a decent P2P MMO with good code.

Heres a working map http://www.navemap.com/myrland I'll soon be moving from vadda to bakti as it has a crusher instead of a grinder which means better yields and calyx is really close.

Is ... the lake on the middle of the island really called "Sausage Lake?"

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Holy crap. The current available world is small.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TroobleTrooble Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Holy crap. The current available world is small.

Not really. It felt like it took forever for me to get to Tindrem from Fabernum, but maybe it's because I was on foot and the game is really empty.

Trooble on
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I love a game where you spend 10 times longer waiting for health to regen than you spend actually fighting.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Saban wrote: »
    I love a game where you spend 10 times longer waiting for health to regen than you spend actually fighting.

Like having to struggle and fight just to have a tiny amount of fun?

This is just the game for you.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There's a bug with the patcher that prevents players who have older versions installed from seeing the right books at skill vendors. Fix is available here, find the old content.db and replace it with this one. I was going out of my mind trying to find certain books and this fixed it up a treat.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You know before they expect anyone to buy the game they should release the damn full world and all the NPC's. I have a sneaking feeling that their current shitty server performance would completely die. I want to see fishes and aquatic life being implemented, even if its just a single mob i still want to see it so i know it works.

I can understand them releasing a half finished game then fleshing it out later but it needs to be fucking half finished not just the goddamn skeleton.

Arghy on
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Saban wrote: »

Resting is a skill. Your health regen goes up the more you use rest.

Every action gets better and more effective the more you skill it up.

Thats why its a skill based game.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh god i've found the best time waster--if you block then hit attack you can push people and it doesnt flag you. Empty your inventory and just constantly push thieves haha they get so mad. I had 3 theives constantly trying to steal my single useless book in my inventory then later they tried to kill my horse all because i was pushing them all constantly.

You can also strafe side to side while your in your bank or at the merchant and they need you to stand still to steal so constantly strafe side to side and they can only watch in frustration.

Arghy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh god i've found the best time waster--if you block then hit attack you can push people and it doesnt flag you. Empty your inventory and just constantly push thieves haha they get so mad. I had 3 theives constantly trying to steal my single useless book in my inventory then later they tried to kill my horse all because i was pushing them all constantly.

You can also strafe side to side while your in your bank or at the merchant and they need you to stand still to steal so constantly strafe side to side and they can only watch in frustration.

The best thing as a thief is to type "has picked your pockets!" and /guards them when they smack you. Free loot! Or max out jumping so you can disappear over a wall and around a corner.

BlueDestiny on