As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

regional rarity soft drinks

• Options
    RazzleDazzRazzleDazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Cheerwine is amazing. I have only seen it in the Carolina's. Anyone have info on where it is distributed?

RazzleDazz on
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Surge was awesome back in the day. The only thing even remotely similar is Vault. But sometimes you get cans/bottles of Vault that taste like glue.

It's also the only yellow soda I will drink.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    SpaceMonkeySpaceMonkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The melon cream soda Fanta that was available in Japan for about a month was amazingly good. I love their seasonal flavors.

And canned coffee is oddly addicting. The vending machine behind my school has Georgia brand cafe au lait, and I always grab one before class to start my day with.

SpaceMonkey on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Nibble wrote:
    Japan's Ramune is pretty cool. Half the fun is the novelty of opening the bottle.
    I love Ramune. It's just a pity the bottles are so small given what they cost at specialty import places here.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Nibble wrote:
    Japan's Ramune is pretty cool. Half the fun is the novelty of opening the bottle.
    I love Ramune. It's just a pity the bottles are so small given what they cost at specialty import places here.
    I've actually had one of those things before.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    p_indonesia_02.jpg

Calpico Soda.

It's a fermented milk soft drink.

Oh yeah.

Only ever seen it at and around Chadstone in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. It's imported from Japan by a small supermarket chain called Chaddymart.

Stuff kicks ass

Gogo melon flavour. Orange is good too.

Also this thread rocks. I love Soft drinks/soda; and it's good to see that I'm not the only one.

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    When I went to Britain and Ireland, I got a bit hooked on Lilt. I had seen it in 28 Days Later and figured if it was good enough for survivors of a psuedo-zombie Rage enduced apocalypse, it was good enough for me. Now, those of you in the British Isles are likely laughing at this being called a regional rarity, as it was everywhere over there, we have nothing like it here in the States that I've found.

It's sorta like Sprite in that it is a clearish citrus soda in a green bottle, but more tropical/pineappley.

Yup. Lilt and Cadbury Fruit and Nut bars. Delish!

Back here in the states, has anyone else tried Vernor's Ginger Ale? It's nowhere near regular ginger ale in flavor. Add ginger flavoring to cream soda and that's the best I can describe the flavor. Not for everyone, but it's very unique and tasty. You can get it around the Great Lakes, mostly, and it has the distinction of being the most carbonated pop I have ever consumed.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    sour grape mountain dew is fucking the best shit in the fucking god damned world I mean damn

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Mr. Pibb is one of my favorite pops, too bad I can only find it in canada. I also like surge, which I now can only find in canada lol.
    Mr Pibb is the same thing as Dr Pepper, just drink Dr Pepper.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Mr Pibb's moreo sugary-fruity than Dr. Pepper. Dr. Pepper tastes sharper.

DP is a hell of a lot better. I wish cocke didn't shove pibb down our throats on campus.

Sam on
  • Options
    The_Indigo_ApocalypseThe_Indigo_Apocalypse Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I miss Squirt ---it was a lemon lime drink they sold in Mexico. I can never find it here unless I wander into really authentic mexican Taquerias. It wasn't clear like most other sodas either.

Squirt_logo.jpg

See, now you know I'm not making shit up! That's the logo.

Also, soda in a glass bottle > soda in a can any day.

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I miss Squirt ---it was a lemon lime drink they sold in Mexico. I can never find it here unless I wander into really authentic mexican Taquerias. It wasn't clear like most other sodas either.

Squirt_logo.jpg

Man, you're just not looking hard enough. I believe I have had that coast-to-middle-to-coast.

Gim on
  • Options
    Milquetoast ThugMilquetoast Thug Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    All I know is this: in the phillipines, coke comes in old-fashioned glass bottles. On the one hand, this is bad because it means less soda. On the other hand, their coke is inexplicably ten times more delicous than the coke here could ever hope to be. I miss that stuff.

On a related note, it seems like the "regular" milk they have over there is identical to what we would refer to as "half & half" over here. Eating coco-puff-ish cereal over there was a treat.

Milquetoast Thug on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    All I know is this: in the phillipines, coke comes in old-fashioned glass bottles. On the one hand, this is bad because it means less soda. On the other hand, their coke is inexplicably ten times more delicous than the coke here could ever hope to be. I miss that stuff.

On a related note, it seems like the "regular" milk they have over there is identical to what we would refer to as "half & half" over here. Eating coco-puff-ish cereal over there was a treat.

You can get bottled coke in the U.S. Their coke is probably cheaper, because they probably dont use corn syrup down there as they are really close to the cane sugar supply.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    There's this Asian drink called Milkiz, which as far as I can ascertain is only available in one place in the world - a nearby Asian supermarket. It's weird and white, and looks like carbonated milk. I have no idea what's in it, but guys, it tastes like all the love and happiness in the world concentrated into liquid form.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I had some Green River while I was in Chicago. It was... unique. Bright, bright green. Kinda tasted like a lime version of Sprite.

Agem on
  • Options
    SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    DiscGrace wrote:
    I think you're talking about bubble tea. It comes in different flavors, and depending on who you get it from, the taste can range from "delicious" to "my mouth has been raped by the fruit-flavored hordes of hell". The brown thingies are tapioca chunks.

There used to be a little fusion cafe in East Lansing that served an awesome sour apple version. I miss it so. :(
    Are you talking about Bubble Island? The one under 21st Century Comics? That's the only place on Grand River I can think of.

Not a fan of the bubble tea, I'll have it if some one is buying.

Best soda in the world, hands down, is:

soda-pop_1921_21944517

Michigan brand. Can't find it everything, even in Michigan. Faygo makes me a little sad, becuase they're an amazing soda company, just don't put the effort into, or can't afford to, compete with the big boys. Their stuff kicks the shit out of anything Coca Cola or Pepsi makes.

I'd say it comes down to Faygo Redpop or Rock'n'Rye for regional favorites. I think Redpop tastes like shit, but R'n'R is what the ancient Greeks referred to as Nectar...

I just thought this was funny:

DETROIT313tee.jpg

Faygo = hellz yes.

Bubble Island = not so much. I don't understand why people like it so much. The idea alone gives me the heebie-jeebies. It's like drinking backwashed food.

P.S. Woooo! Go Mitten!

Squirrelmob on
  • Options
    KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Is Orangina allowed in here? I've only seen it in California and Paris. Two very different places, I know. It's caffeinated though, so it should count as a soft drink. It's simply caffeinated orange juice but I love it.

And just to make sure I fit the soda requirement:

My friend from Maryland said there is a Jewish line of sodas or something, and there is a Celery flavored one that tastes exactly as liquid celery should-- disgusting.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Gim wrote:

Squirt_logo.jpg

Man, you're just not looking hard enough. I believe I have had that coast-to-middle-to-coast.

Yeah, Squirt's available all over in the Buffalo area. good stuff, kinda grapefruity on top of the lemon and lime.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It's, well, every time I drink it I expect to find some kind of pit or seed. And when I dont it makes me sad.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    drxand?drxand? Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    TO MY MICHIGAN BRETHREN
    HAIL FAYGO

the former "jazzin' bluesberry" which now i think is just blueberry or something is great. The candy apple faygo they had from the last contest was fantastic as well. Faygo is all over, i live south of lansing like 20mins away and its at pretty much every grocery store and gas station.

i was sad when they changed their design though, i liked the old faygo logo

and i must note that i like bubble island as well, they're tasty.

this thread delivers with great success

from australia: Bundaberg ginger beer (oh god its good, hard to find around me, think the only place is world market occasionally, but its kinda imported)
    and i hear aussies had a mint sprite a couple years back

theres some interesting brands as you drive down the east coast into the south as well, i dont recall names, but they werent super amazing awesome anyways.

i have a thing for drinks, so i try as many different kinds i havent had as possible.
    mmm

drxand? on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2006
    I love Faygo, but I just drink the cola.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Kealoha wrote:
    Is Orangina allowed in here? I've only seen it in California and Paris. Two very different places, I know. It's caffeinated though, so it should count as a soft drink. It's simply caffeinated orange juice but I love it.

I think Orangina is British. I recall it being pretty widespread there.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    tombomb666tombomb666 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ah Moxie, the soda that will put hair on your chest if you like it or not.
    It was the first commercially available soda before all the posers like Coke and Pepsi

Moxiecan.jpg

Moxie isn't a soda that you would immediately recognize as good. It's made out of birch root and has a aftertaste thats like getting kicked in the mouth with a muddy boot. My friends and I will bring a 6-pack of Moxie to a party to act like real men.

As a side note, when I was at a shady bathroom in Hawaii there was an original metal moxie advertisement with Ted Williams pimping it out.
    P.MAC%20044.jpg?imgmax=512
    The man who owned the toilet wouldn't sell it to me. :x

The Moxie man is a template for all things awesome.

tombomb666 on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm not a big Ginger Ale fan, but while living in Michigan I grew to love Vernors. I know it isn't technically Ginger Ale, but it's the closest thing to it I'm willing to drink. Plus, you can use it just about anywhere you can use Ginger Ale, and whenever you do, it makes that drink taste about ten times better. Faygo was okay, but I never saw what the big deal was, personally.

Also, you can put me solidly in the "Dr. Pepper is better than Mr. Pibb" camp. I like Mr. Pibb, but between the two of them, Dr. Pepper wins, hands down. I think it's that "burn" you get when you take a big swig if a really cold Dr. Pepper - it just makes me all tingly every time.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Kealoha wrote:

And just to make sure I fit the soda requirement:

I've seen Orangina in the Ivory Coast (West Africa)
    I don't like it, but it's definitely an interesting soda. Doesn't taste like your generic orange soda, actually has some hint of citrus in there. And nice bottle too.

Sam on
  • Options
    drxand?drxand? Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    oh god, i cant believe i forgot about vernors
    fucking right
    oh how i forget its detroit origins and its tasty gingeryness
    man i could use one right now, i seriously am thinking about scrounging up some change and making a run to the store to get one

i honestly think i will do this now

drxand? on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm gonna take a moment to pour a 40 out for Surge. Though recently, I found a little bar in Portland called Montage that has Surge on tap. I'm happy to announce, it's damn close in taste to Vault, which I now drink in highly unsafe amounts. I expect Coca-Cola to pull the rug out from under me once again within six months.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    NinjaGnatNinjaGnat Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm gonna take a moment to pour a 40 out for Surge. Though recently, I found a little bar in Portland called Montage that has Surge on tap. I'm happy to announce, it's damn close in taste to Vault, which I now drink in highly unsafe amounts. I expect Coca-Cola to pull the rug out from under me once again within six months.

I'm not sure, surge seemed like a novelty drink to me, but although it may have had something to do with my current location on a college campus, vault seems popular enough to stick around.

NinjaGnat on
  • Options
    KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    While at the The World Of Coke here in Atlanta, I came across a beverage called Mello Lychee. It was the most amazing soft drink I have ever had. However, I have never been able to find it anywhere else. At the time, I was told it was only sold overseas.

Krummith on
  • Options
    TootsyrolCNSPRCYTootsyrolCNSPRCY Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I used to drink unhealthy amounts of Diet Pepsi until I developed an allergy to aspartame. (hence, unhealthy amounts) Then I switched to root beer and all I have to say about that is: FUCK barqs. That shit is nasty. Worst root beer on record and it is ALL MY CAMPUS WILL STOCK!

anyway

once, when I was a little kid, my grandma had a 12 pack of chocolate soda in her fridge. I wish to god I could remember the brand name, because that shit was quite possibly the best thing I have ever tasted. It was like liquid, carbonated tootsie rolls.

Which, as you can tell, I enjoy.

TootsyrolCNSPRCY on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    NinjaGnat wrote:

I'm not sure, surge seemed like a novelty drink to me, but although it may have had something to do with my current location on a college campus, vault seems popular enough to stick around.

Vault's popular because it's a decent energy drink that isn't overpriced and shit tasting like coke's other offerings ("Rockstar", "Von Dutch" and "Full Throttle")
    God even the names are fucking obnoxious. I wish I could get Red Bull on campus, but then again that stuff isn't cheap either. It's my favorite energy drink though.

Sam on
  • Options
    StonecutterStonecutter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    griver.jpg

I've never seen Green River brand pop outside of Chicago. If anyone's ever had the green/grun Berlinerweiss or Waldmeister flavored anything, that's what Green River tastes like. I gave up pop two years ago (and subsequently lost 45 pounds) but I'll still have a Green River now and then cause it's just that damn good.

Stonecutter on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    well when I lived in Cheyenne Wy I know they have or used to have one named Dr Slice

I found out it was a regional when I moved and asked for it with a wtf is that repsonce

Brainleech on
  • Options
    ReXXReXX Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    griver.jpg

That's a great slogan - it kind of implies many dark years of caffeine addiction which, ultimately, made it stronger in the end.

ReXX on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Brainleech wrote:
    well when I lived in Cheyenne Wy I know they have or used to have one named Dr Slice

I found out it was a regional when I moved and asked for it with a wtf is that repsonce
    Hey, I remember Dr. Slice. We used to carry it here in Texas, actually, though I haven't seen it for years. It was kind of red colored, wasn't it?

Honestly, Dr. Slice was one of the few drinks that rivaled Dr. Pepper in the taste department, if I'm thinking of the right drink. I really loved that stuff, and was pretty sad when it became scarce around here.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Ninja BotNinja Bot Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    griver.jpg

I've never seen Green River brand pop outside of Chicago. If anyone's ever had the green/grun Berlinerweiss or Waldmeister flavored anything, that's what Green River tastes like. I gave up pop two years ago (and subsequently lost 45 pounds) but I'll still have a Green River now and then cause it's just that damn good.
    Fuck yes that and RC are proof that discount soda is the best kind. I get that shit whenever I can find it, which is unfortunately only a few stores and restaurants.

Ninja Bot on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

Squirt_logo.jpg

Easy to find here at gas stations but oddly I haven't seen it in any of the local grocery stores in ages. I love it for siping since a 20oz bottle will easily last me hours while on the computer but I found out it's not so good in large quantities. I was mixing it with Vodka and after about seven or eight I ended up with a horrible stomach ache. Of course it's a very citrus tasting drink so I probably shoulda seen that one coming.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Squirt's all over the place in vending machines and such.

It's also related to Mt. Dew.

They both have Brominated Vegetable Oil, but Squirt also has Wood Rosin.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Shinto wrote:
    There's a place in NH called Meetinghouse that makes incredible rhubarb soda.

I know where that place is, but I've been hesitant to risk a taste of the Rhubarb Soday, because I really dislike rhubarb.

There's only one place around where I live that serves Orangina, which is a real tragedy, since it's probably my favorite beverage.

Also, Moxie is a disgusting fluid suitable only for ballast and drowning insects.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif