As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Java book for beginner

AwkAwk Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I coasted through my only course in Java earlier and failed to learn lots of key concepts. Whats a good book for me to catch up on? I like code examples and being able to apply what i learn. My syntax is also weak and distant.

Awk on

• Options
    taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    What sort of programming do you typically do? (Or anticipate doing?)

taeric on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Whatever book you get try to keep it fun by doing some coding (can make yourself little games and stuff).

My beginner java book was a clunker, 500 pages of useful stuff randomly mixed into a 2000pg book, I think it was called big java. I didn't really use debuggers much so I sometimes filled my code with tons of tiny print statements so I could see for sure which functions were executing correctly and stuff, I think I learned as much doing that as I did reading the book. I'm sure I did things the hard way.

Dman on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I found Big Java a really good book, to be honest - it's full of examples, it teaches good practise, it's got a well-judged learning curve, and it deals with each concept individually making it a good reference as well as a good introduction. As an introductory text, it's certainly one of the better ones I've used (across a variety of languages - I was new to Java).

Seol on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    To add to my earlier question. Exactly how much of a beginner are you? Are you new to programming, or just java?

taeric on
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ive coded a bit in C++, and old stuff like BASIC, but nothing ever too serious. This is my first OOP language. this big java book sounds ok. hopefully i can pick it up at the bookstore!

Awk on
  • Options
    lizard eats flieslizard eats flies Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    whenever someone asks about computer books, I always suggest the O'Reilly animal books.

-Learning Java
    should be more beginner oriented

-Java in a nutshell
    more of a reference book on syntax and such

-Java Cookbook
    This is all about giving you examples of how to do things.

Pick the one that fits your style of learning. Personally I always go for the'in a nutshell' ones because I'm usually just looking for a good reference on syntax and the like, but the 'learning..' ones are nice too. most bookstores carry them so check um out.

lizard eats flies on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The O'Reilly books are nice. Even better, you can try them out free with a trial safari membership. :)

One of my favorite methods is to try and rewrite any of your old programs in java. Once you have done a smaller program, read over a topic that is specific to Java and then take another look.

As for books. I am a huge fan of concurrency topics, so Java Concurrency In Practice is good. And Effective Java helps to really learn the "java" way of doing some things.

taeric on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    taeric wrote: »
    The O'Reilly books are nice. Even better, you can try them out free with a trial safari membership. :)

One of my favorite methods is to try and rewrite any of your old programs in java. Once you have done a smaller program, read over a topic that is specific to Java and then take another look.

As for books. I am a huge fan of concurrency topics, so Java Concurrency In Practice is good. And Effective Java helps to really learn the "java" way of doing some things.
    Yeah, Effective Java's a pretty good book. It won't teach you how to program Java, but it'll teach you to program Java well. Worth getting early to avoid forming bad habits.

Seol on