As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

old fallout thread; please disregard and post in the new one

• Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    :lol:

Merry Christmas buddy.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    SoulGate wrote: »
    Anyone ever have one of those "Oh my god." moments? Where you can only stare in disbelief and sadness at what you see?

I had one moment after fixing a radio tower and listening to a man plead for someone with medicine to come help his family. His child was sick, they were out of stimpaks and growing desperate, they hid in a storm drain. There's no waypoint marker so I activally searched the area, whole time listening to this man plead, almost sounding like he was tearing up while talking.

I found the storm drain and went in. At the end of a short tunnel there was a room to the right with light pouring out. I went in and found 2 skeletons lying beside the bed, holding each other, with a toy in one of their hands. I turned and entered the other room, where the HAM radio was still on. I turned it off, blinked, and walked back out. I couldn't think of anything but "They're gone. The mother fucking wastes..."

It's a computer game, and for some reason that moment just resonated with me.

Bethesda has always been really good at telling stories with short bits of text and well-placed items and skeletons.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That is true. The elementary school:
    with the jail cell full of child skeletons.

Unsettling.

Also love the AntAgonizer vs. The Mechanist quest. I went with the AntAgonizer, because I wanted a laser pistol.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Okay, I'd hate to do this to you wonderful people, but I'd feel like I'd go nuts if I didn't do this stupid(ly obvious) thing, so...

Ronald Reagan was a handsome devil.

BTW, have you noticed that when cars explode they actually make a little mushroom cloud?

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    So, I've been thinking long and hard about how to fix the perks in Fallout 3. Taking the earlier comments on board and tempering it with my own ability to script, I've come up with the following changes to the perks. Everything is marked out very clearly, so there shouldn't be any difficulty in seeing what it is I propose to do.
    There are many perks in Fallout 3 that have very little use when compared to other available perks. Fixing this problem required modification of perks and game settings. The end result is an increase to the difficulty of Fallout 3 and to the choice available when choosing perks.

Modified game settings;
    1. Base Skill Points offered is now 6 rather than 11.
    2. All Experience gained is at the rate gained when playing on Very Easy.
    3. All water sources now inflict triple the amount of radiation.
    4. The negative effects from all four levels of irradiation are now tripled.
    5. Stealing items will not reduce Karma below 0.
    6. Donating to the Church of Saint Monica or the Church of the Atom will not increase Karma above 0.
    7. Stimpak Health bonus is reduced by 40%.
    8. Frag mines, bottlecap mines, plasma mines, pulse mines, and timed floor-based traps all detonate in half the current time.
    9. Frag mines, bottlecap mines, plasma mines, pulse mines, and all floor-based traps all do 200% of current damage.
    10. Barter multipliers are modified such that all items sell for 25% less than they currently do.
    11. Barter multipliers are modified such that all items cost 25% more than they currently do.
    12. Chance of developing a drug addiction is doubled.
    13. All withdrawal symptoms from drug addiction are tripled.
    14. You can only have one follower at a time.

Modified perk entries;

Scoundrel
    Requirements: Charisma 4, Level 2 (originally Level 4)
    Ranks: 3
    Effect: Take the Scoundrel perk, and you can use your wily charms to influence people – each rank raises your Speech and Barter skills by 5 points.

Lead Belly
    Requirements: Endurance 5, Level 6
    Ranks: 1
    Effect: With the Lead Belly perk, you take 75% (originally 50%) less radiation every time you drink from an irradiated water source.

Impartial Mediation
    Requirements: Charisma 5, Level 8
    Effect: With the Impartial Mediation perk, you gain an extra 60 (originally 30) points to Speech… as long as you maintain a Neutral Karma level.

Animal Friend
    Requirements: Charisma 6, Level 6 (originally Level 10)
    Ranks: 2
    Effect: At the first rank of tis perk, animals simply won’t attack. At the second rank, they will eventually come to your aid in combat, but never against another animal. Tis perk affects the Dog, Yao Guai, Mole Rate, and Brahmin.

Mister Sandman
    Requirements: Sneak 40% (originally Sneak 60%), Level 6 (originally Level 10)
    Effect: With the Mister Sandman perk, when you’re in Sneak mode, you gain the option to silently kill any human or Ghoul while they’re sleeping. And, all Mister Sandman kills earn bonus XP.

Cannibal
    Requirements: Level 12
    Ranks 1:
    Effect: With the Cannibal perk, when you’re in Sneak mode, you gain the option to eat a human (previously unclarified) corpse to regain significant (previously unclarified) Health (previously 25 Hit Points, now 100 Hit Points). But every time you feed, you lose Karma, and if the act is witnessed, it is considered a crime against nature.

Fast Metabolism
    Requirements: Level 12
    Effect: With the Fast Metabolism perk, you gain a 40% (originally 20%) Health bonus using Stimpaks.

Life Giver
    Requirements: Endurance 6, Level 12
    Effect: With the Life Giver perk, you gain an additional 50 (originally 30) Hit Points.

Silent Running
    Requirements: Agility 6, Sneak 50%, Level 8 (originally Level 12)
    Effect: With the Silent Running perk, running no longer factors into a successful sneak attempt.

Chem Resistant
    Requirements: Medicine 60%, Level 16
    Effect: Having the Chem Resistant perk means you’re 75% (originally 50%) less likely to develop an addiction to chems, like Psycho or Jet.

Ninja
    Requirements: Sneak 90%, Level 20 (originally Melee Weapons 80%)
    Effect: The Ninja perk grants you the power of the fabled shadow warriors. When attacking with either Melee or Unarmed, you gain a +25% (originally +15%) critical chance on every strike. Sneak attack criticals do 35% (originally +25%) more damage than normal.

Added perks;

Night Vision
    Requirements: Level 10
    Effect: With the Night Vision perk, you can see as well in the dark as you can in the light.
    Reason: Night Person was useless, while Night Vision will provide a very useful advantage to anyone sneaking around in low light conditions.

Living Anatomy
    Requirements: Medicine 70%, Intelligence 7, Level 18
    Effect: With the Living Anatomy perk, you do an additional +25% damage every time you attack a human, Ghoul, or Super Mutant.
    Reason: Given that two Level 18 perks were removed, two new perks needed to be introduced.

Magnetic Personality
    Requirements: Speech 70%, Charisma 7, Level 18
    Effect: With the Magnetic Personality perk, there are no limits to how many followers you can have!
    Reason: Given that two Level 18 perks were removed, two new perks needed to be introduced.

Survivalist
    Requirements: Endurance 7, Level 20
    Effect: As a Survivalist, you know how to keep your equipment in good condition. All equipment that you use now degrades at one quarter of its normal rate.
    Reason: Explorer didn’t provide any significant benefit, whilst Survivalist almost totally mitigates one of the greatest hardships of exploration.

Fast Shot
    Requirements: Level 20
    Effect: You attack much faster than other people! With the Fast Shot perk, all attacks made in V.A.T.S use only half as many Action Points than they normally would.
    Reason: Solar Powered was situational and fairly weak. Rather than modify an already disliked perk, a new one was introduced.

Removed perks;

Night Person
    Requirements: Level 10
    Effect: When the sun is down, a Night Person gains +2 to both Intelligence and Perception (up to a maximum of 10). This perk directly affects your “internal clock” and remains active both inside and outside.
    Reason: No reason to ever take this perk. It has been functionally replaced by Night Vision. Though I may decide to put it back in, I can’t think of any way to make it decent at the moment.

Computer Whiz
    Requirements: Intelligence 7, Science 70%, Level 18
    Effect: Fail a hack attempt and get locked out of a computer? Not if you’re a Computer Whiz! With this perk, you can attempt to re-hack any computer you were previously locked out of.
    Reason: Hacking is already easy enough, preventing the need for a high level perk that makes the task easier.

Infiltrator
    Requirements: Perception 7, Lockpick 70%, Level 18
    Effect: With Infiltrator, if a lock is broken, and can’t normally be picked again, you can attempt to pick it again one more time. This includes locks previously broken by a “Force Lock” attempt.
    Reason: As with hacking, lockpicking simply isn’t difficult enough to justify a high level perk dedicated to it.

Explorer
    Requirements: Level 20
    Effect: When you choose the Explorer perk, every location in the world is revealed on your map. So get out there and explore!
    Reason: Given that the information the perk provides can already be acquired by exploring normally, there’s no point for it.

Solar Powered
    Requirements: Endurance 7, Level 20
    Effect: With the Solar Powered perk, you gain an additional 2 points to Strength when in direct sunlight, and slowly regenerate lost Health.
    Reason: Perks that only work part of the time are reviled by all players.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    At low skills, wouldn't this mean that many of the meats like mirelurk meat would provide more health than that?

Couscous on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I got tons of Best Buy bucks. Is the collector's edition really worth $80? Or should I just get the regular ol game (on 360 btw)? I feel that if I get games nowadays, that I should either go collector's edition or bust. Heh.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Do you need a lunchbox?

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    El Extremo wrote: »
    Do you need a lunchbox?

Who DOESN'T need a lunch box?!

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Then the Collector's Edition is the right choice for YOU!

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I really wish the enemies in this game would level PAST you, a challenge while you're out running around at level 20 would be pretty great.

Also, the DLC coming sooner, either or.

(Edited for spelling I noticed)

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I really wish the enemies in this game would level PAST you, a challenge while your out running around at level 20 would be pretty great.

I think they wanted to avoid going that route after Oblivion.

freakish light on
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, here's a question. I have the Fallout 3 retail disc, but I'd like to have the game on Steam. Is there any way to activate it through Steam?

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    So, here's a question. I have the Fallout 3 retail disc, but I'd like to have the game on Steam. Is there any way to activate it through Steam?

Negative.

Couscous on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Afraid not. The list of non- Steam purchased games that you can activate on there is very small, and is pretty much only Valve games and a few other specific titles that got on there for one reason or another.

Most you can do is add the game to your Steam list, but unless you've bought it off of Steam you won't be able to re-download from Steam.

subedii on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    HtR-Laser wrote: »
    Also love the AntAgonizer vs. The Mechanist quest. I went with the AntAgonizer, because I wanted a laser pistol.

I wasted the antagonizer because I believe in the power of machines.

Also, I hate ants.

xzzy on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I did it peacefully.

Then violently every single time.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    Cojo MojoCojo Mojo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Maybe that old Tower Records in Fairfax City.

Though it did close down a couple years ago IRL.

ed: out of curiosity nova locals, did they ever put anything in there?

They recently closed the Circuit City by K-Mart and moved it there.

Cojo Mojo on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2008
    Wooh, just made a dart gun. It's awesome for my stealthy ninja run!

Echo on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I really wish the enemies in this game would level PAST you, a challenge while your out running around at level 20 would be pretty great.

I...I'm...at level 20 right now and am starting to think that maybe level scaling wouldn't be that awful......

I know it was hated in Oblivion, but man, I'd be okay if scaled enemies started showing up in the late game. I'm roaming the wastes and all I keep coming across are raiders and maybe a couple super mutants. Of course, I haven't progressed in the story past Rivet City, but
    I don't think groups of Enclave soldiers will be much of an issue...

I've been using player.setlevel 19 to drop myself back so I feel like the XP is worth something after pouring 65 hours into this character.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Where's the market in Rivet City

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I...I'm...at level 20 right now and am starting to think that maybe level scaling wouldn't be that awful......

I know it was hated in Oblivion, but man, I'd be okay if scaled enemies started showing up in the late game. I'm roaming the wastes and all I keep coming across are raiders and maybe a couple super mutants. Of course, I haven't progressed in the story past Rivet City, but

I've been using player.setlevel 19 to drop myself back so I feel like the XP is worth something after pouring 65 hours into this character.
    They won't be. As a completely unarmed character with no armor, I easily killed them all.

Couscous on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Couscous wrote: »

They won't be. As a completely unarmed character with no armor, I easily killed them all.

I figured as much. Exploring is still awfully fun at least.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2008
    I'm totally ignoring the main story for now and just exploring at random. Just ran the fuck out of Fort Constantine. Not ready to take on pissed-off robots and turrets quite yet.

Echo on
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    At level 20 I can seem to do fine against pretty much everything, but every time I run into Talon Company they still manage to kick my ass somewhat for some reason.

Really hate those guys.

Loathing on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Exploring is so much better than in most RPGs. For example, the planets were almost all boring in Mass Effect. I found myself playing through those planets just to see if something interesting happened. In Fallout 3, with the exception of the subways, even the parts where it was obvious that they used parts from other dungeons were often awesome. In Mass Effect, pretty much every non-main quest area ended with me saying "COME ON!" because they didn't bother to disguise the fact that the base was literally the same exact base as the one I had been through previously except with a few boxes moved around.

Couscous on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I appear to have doomed Ronald Laren. I was hanging around Girdershade when a deathclaw spotted me so I ran into his house and together we took it down. But now whenever I go back in a different wasteland random encounter spawns and attacks him. So far we've killed two giant rad scorpions, a bloatfly, and another Deathclaw.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    thorpe wrote: »
    I appear to have doomed Ronald Laren. I was hanging around Girdershade when a deathclaw spotted me so I ran into his house and together we took it down. But now whenever I go back in a different wasteland random encounter spawns and attacks him. So far we've killed two giant rad scorpions, a bloatfly, and another Deathclaw.

Let him die, he's creepy.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    deowolf wrote: »
    thorpe wrote: »

Let him die, he's creepy.

The fact he uses the sentence "plow her bean field" makes me kinda go o_O

Loathing on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    At low skills, wouldn't this mean that many of the meats like mirelurk meat would provide more health than that?

It would make Mirelurlk Meats better than Stimpacks initially, but think of how easy Stimpacks are to acquire. What this does is increase the difficulty of the game and make Fast Metabolism become a very useful perk.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Loathing wrote: »
    The fact he uses the sentence "plow her bean field" makes me kinda go o_O

If using farming euphemisms for sex is wrong then I don't want to be right.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to spray my crops with pesticide.

Paradiso on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well, in retrospect I guess I'm the last person to be saying anything against that since back in the math phase of the course I had to take at work, we sat around making up math related pickup lines and sexual innuendo's when we became bored.

Loathing on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

try taking on a radscorpion king.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

A what?

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

A what?

a rad scorpion king.
    159711229358040ph6.jpg

or maybe a crystallized mirelurk.
    193111230313525pb3.jpg

or a deathclaw mother.
    193111229828883ng5.jpg

or a bloatfly queen.
    193121229828883no4.jpg

or more.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fun tip.

They didnt finish the texturing in the northwest corner of the map, around Raven Rock.

I found many places where only the front of rocks and certain protrusions of cliffs had textures on them.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    or a deathclaw mother.
    193111229828883ng5.jpg

Okay, be honest with me now. How the fuck did you kill that? Way I see it, the MIRV would just make it angry.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    or more.

That Deathclaw Mother will haunt my dreams.

Paradiso on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Is there a mod that adds in something above a super mutant master but lower than a behemoth?

Couscous on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Fun tip.

They didnt finish the texturing in the northwest corner of the map, around Raven Rock.

I found many places where only the front of rocks and certain protrusions of cliffs had textures on them.

I've run across at least a dozen spots where two meshes weren't seamless, and you could peer into the void.

I guess with the world as big as it is it's bound to happen.

xzzy on