As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

old fallout thread; please disregard and post in the new one

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2008
    Whew. Fought my first two Deathclaws.

The first one was apparently just done tearing up some wanderer, because it was at 30% health, so a grenade crippled it and some liberally applied 10mm bullets finished it off. And the dead dude had the deathclaw gauntlet schematic on him.

The second one... I threw a grenade at it. This made it float 50 meters up into the air, still in the running animation... and then fall down and go splat.

Echo on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    So I'm wandering Rivet City, following signs to the marketplace...and there's no marketplace.

Where am I supposed to go

Me Too! on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Me Too! wrote: »
    So I'm wandering Rivet City, following signs to the marketplace...and there's no marketplace.

There's signs all over the place. Alternatively, if you go the Rivet's main enterance, is the door that's straight ahead, not the left.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Are those unique monsters real/ in the 360 version? :O

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh God, I hope not.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Are those mods for the giant monsters?

Burgu on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is there any really easy to get evil points?

Couscous on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    xzzy wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Fun tip.

They didnt finish the texturing in the northwest corner of the map, around Raven Rock.

I found many places where only the front of rocks and certain protrusions of cliffs had textures on them.

I've run across at least a dozen spots where two meshes weren't seamless, and you could peer into the void.

I guess with the world as big as it is it's bound to happen.

What i saw wasnt meer misalignment but huge swaths of land without textures.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Whew. Fought my first two Deathclaws.

The first one was apparently just done tearing up some wanderer, because it was at 30% health, so a grenade crippled it and some liberally applied 10mm bullets finished it off. And the dead dude had the deathclaw gauntlet schematic on him.

The second one... I threw a grenade at it. This made it float 50 meters up into the air, still in the running animation... and then fall down and go splat.

It's a scripted random encounter.

The 30% health Deathclaw, not the gravity screwup.

And easy way to go evil: find a town you don't like and massacre it. Collect the ears with the Bounty Hunter perk for even more bad karma. Also, go into someone's home when they're not there and take everything you can pick up. Everything.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    DozingDragonDozingDragon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    Is there any really easy to get evil points?

Use a computer terminal that is considered private property, like the one in Moriarty's. I had to keep on going back to it during my neutral run.

DozingDragon on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Uhhh, I'm a little concerned. Is Fallout 3 a buggy game on XBOX?

In the two days that I have had it I have got locked in VATS, frozen when loading a new area, and had my character continually attacking with his sledgehammer and not stopping till I reset. Whats going on?

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I know I posted this before, but I don't care. 8-)

I've been thinking long and hard about how to fix the perks in Fallout 3. Taking the earlier comments on board and tempering it with my own ability to script, I've come up with the following changes to the perks. Everything is marked out very clearly, so there shouldn't be any difficulty in seeing what it is I propose to do.
    There are many perks in Fallout 3 that have very little use when compared to other available perks. Fixing this problem required modification of perks and game settings. The end result is an increase to the difficulty of Fallout 3 and to the choice available when choosing perks.

Modified game settings;
    1. Base Skill Points offered is now 6 rather than 11.
    2. All Experience gained is at the rate gained when playing on Very Easy.
    3. All water sources now inflict triple the amount of radiation.
    4. The negative effects from all four levels of irradiation are now tripled.
    5. Stealing items will not reduce Karma below 0.
    6. Donating to the Church of Saint Monica or the Church of the Atom will not increase Karma above 0.
    7. Stimpak Health bonus is reduced by 40%.
    8. Frag mines, bottlecap mines, plasma mines, pulse mines, and timed floor-based traps all detonate in half the current time.
    9. Frag mines, bottlecap mines, plasma mines, pulse mines, and all floor-based traps all do 200% of current damage.
    10. Barter multipliers are modified such that all items sell for 25% less than they currently do.
    11. Barter multipliers are modified such that all items cost 25% more than they currently do.
    12. Chance of developing a drug addiction is doubled.
    13. All withdrawal symptoms from drug addiction are tripled.
    14. You can only have one follower at a time.

Modified perk entries;

Scoundrel
    Requirements: Charisma 4, Level 2 (originally Level 4)
    Ranks: 3
    Effect: Take the Scoundrel perk, and you can use your wily charms to influence people – each rank raises your Speech and Barter skills by 5 points.

Lead Belly
    Requirements: Endurance 5, Level 6
    Ranks: 1
    Effect: With the Lead Belly perk, you take 75% (originally 50%) less radiation every time you drink from an irradiated water source.

Impartial Mediation
    Requirements: Charisma 5, Level 8
    Effect: With the Impartial Mediation perk, you gain an extra 60 (originally 30) points to Speech… as long as you maintain a Neutral Karma level.

Animal Friend
    Requirements: Charisma 6, Level 6 (originally Level 10)
    Ranks: 2
    Effect: At the first rank of tis perk, animals simply won’t attack. At the second rank, they will eventually come to your aid in combat, but never against another animal. Tis perk affects the Dog, Yao Guai, Mole Rate, and Brahmin.

Mister Sandman
    Requirements: Sneak 40% (originally Sneak 60%), Level 6 (originally Level 10)
    Effect: With the Mister Sandman perk, when you’re in Sneak mode, you gain the option to silently kill any human or Ghoul while they’re sleeping. And, all Mister Sandman kills earn bonus XP.

Cannibal
    Requirements: Level 12
    Ranks 1:
    Effect: With the Cannibal perk, when you’re in Sneak mode, you gain the option to eat a human (previously unclarified) corpse to regain significant (previously unclarified) Health (previously 25 Hit Points, now 100 Hit Points). But every time you feed, you lose Karma, and if the act is witnessed, it is considered a crime against nature.

Fast Metabolism
    Requirements: Level 12
    Effect: With the Fast Metabolism perk, you gain a 40% (originally 20%) Health bonus using Stimpaks.

Life Giver
    Requirements: Endurance 6, Level 12
    Effect: With the Life Giver perk, you gain an additional 50 (originally 30) Hit Points.

Silent Running
    Requirements: Agility 6, Sneak 50%, Level 8 (originally Level 12)
    Effect: With the Silent Running perk, running no longer factors into a successful sneak attempt.

Chem Resistant
    Requirements: Medicine 60%, Level 16
    Effect: Having the Chem Resistant perk means you’re 75% (originally 50%) less likely to develop an addiction to chems, like Psycho or Jet.

Ninja
    Requirements: Sneak 90%, Level 20 (originally Melee Weapons 80%)
    Effect: The Ninja perk grants you the power of the fabled shadow warriors. When attacking with either Melee or Unarmed, you gain a +25% (originally +15%) critical chance on every strike. Sneak attack criticals do 35% (originally +25%) more damage than normal.

Added perks;

Night Vision
    Requirements: Level 10
    Effect: With the Night Vision perk, you can see as well in the dark as you can in the light.
    Reason: Night Person was useless, while Night Vision will provide a very useful advantage to anyone sneaking around in low light conditions.

Living Anatomy
    Requirements: Medicine 70%, Intelligence 7, Level 18
    Effect: With the Living Anatomy perk, you do an additional +25% damage every time you attack a human, Ghoul, or Super Mutant.
    Reason: Given that two Level 18 perks were removed, two new perks needed to be introduced.

Magnetic Personality
    Requirements: Speech 70%, Charisma 7, Level 18
    Effect: With the Magnetic Personality perk, there are no limits to how many followers you can have!
    Reason: Given that two Level 18 perks were removed, two new perks needed to be introduced.

Survivalist
    Requirements: Endurance 7, Level 20
    Effect: As a Survivalist, you know how to keep your equipment in good condition. All equipment that you use now degrades at one quarter of its normal rate.
    Reason: Explorer didn’t provide any significant benefit, whilst Survivalist almost totally mitigates one of the greatest hardships of exploration.

Fast Shot
    Requirements: Level 20
    Effect: You attack much faster than other people! With the Fast Shot perk, all attacks made in V.A.T.S use only half as many Action Points than they normally would.
    Reason: Solar Powered was situational and fairly weak. Rather than modify an already disliked perk, a new one was introduced.

Removed perks;

Night Person
    Requirements: Level 10
    Effect: When the sun is down, a Night Person gains +2 to both Intelligence and Perception (up to a maximum of 10). This perk directly affects your “internal clock” and remains active both inside and outside.
    Reason: No reason to ever take this perk. It has been functionally replaced by Night Vision. Though I may decide to put it back in, I can’t think of any way to make it decent at the moment.

Computer Whiz
    Requirements: Intelligence 7, Science 70%, Level 18
    Effect: Fail a hack attempt and get locked out of a computer? Not if you’re a Computer Whiz! With this perk, you can attempt to re-hack any computer you were previously locked out of.
    Reason: Hacking is already easy enough, preventing the need for a high level perk that makes the task easier.

Infiltrator
    Requirements: Perception 7, Lockpick 70%, Level 18
    Effect: With Infiltrator, if a lock is broken, and can’t normally be picked again, you can attempt to pick it again one more time. This includes locks previously broken by a “Force Lock” attempt.
    Reason: As with hacking, lockpicking simply isn’t difficult enough to justify a high level perk dedicated to it.

Explorer
    Requirements: Level 20
    Effect: When you choose the Explorer perk, every location in the world is revealed on your map. So get out there and explore!
    Reason: Given that the information the perk provides can already be acquired by exploring normally, there’s no point for it.

Solar Powered
    Requirements: Endurance 7, Level 20
    Effect: With the Solar Powered perk, you gain an additional 2 points to Strength when in direct sunlight, and slowly regenerate lost Health.
    Reason: Perks that only work part of the time are reviled by all players.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hugh JassHugh Jass I'm Squint Eastwood Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just got this game for christmas and i feel fucking stupid for taking so long to figure out how to equip my gun. Also....
    Did anyone else kill everybody before they left vault 101? I pummeled them all with my giant monkey arms of death :winky:

Hugh Jass on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hugh Jass wrote: »
    I just got this game for christmas and i feel fucking stupid for taking so long to figure out how to equip my gun. Also....
    Did anyone else kill everybody before they left vault 101? I pummeled them all with my giant monkey arms of death :winky:

I killed butches mom, The drunk bitch.

Cracked her skull with a baseball bat.

Then a Teabagged her for good measure.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »

There's signs all over the place. Alternatively, if you go the Rivet's main enterance, is the door that's straight ahead, not the left.

The only signs that I found pointed me to the main door. Which is locked. And I can't get through.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

The only signs that I found pointed me to the main door. Which is locked. And I can't get through.

It's night time. The market is closed, go buy a hotel room and check it out in the morning.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Have you actually crossed the bridge and entered Rivet City yet? There's an intercom panel on the wall and you need to talk into it before they will extend the bridge and let you enter.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Behemoth wrote: »

It's night time. The market is closed, go buy a hotel room and check it out in the morning.

Or press the wait button and wait until 8 am.

Couscous on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I got this for Christmas and am currently 8 hours into my first play through.

The ripper is the best thing ever. I came across a super mutant who was on one bar left after fighting a brotherhood of steel guy, I snuck up behind him, went into VATS and exploded him. He literally exploded and I giggled like a school girl.

I love this game so much.

e: Windows LIVE is a pain in the ass though. I'm still not sure I have it set up right. I'd like like for achievements to work though since I'm a completionist whore.

Tav on
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ok, so are those Crystallized Mirelurks, Radscorpion Kings, Deathclaw mothers and whatforth actually really in the game, or is that just a mod? Cause if thats actually in the vanilla game then holy hell I need to go look for them. I've found an Ant Queen once in the game inside some factory, was pretty neat but she didn't drop any loot.

Also it's pissing me off reading this thread because I do have Fallout here with me at my parents house, but the 360 that I brought with me is my busted one that barely reads disks. Every time I open the Pip Boy, the game freezes because the drive goes fucking nuts.

And no, I can't play the game from the HD because even though it IS installed, it won't let me play it that way because the game was installed on the xbox Elite, not my xbox Ghettopeiceofshit. Originally I thought that it was simple as taking the HD with me but apparently not.

Loathing on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Uhhh, I'm a little concerned. Is Fallout 3 a buggy game on XBOX?

In the two days that I have had it I have got locked in VATS, frozen when loading a new area, and had my character continually attacking with his sledgehammer and not stopping till I reset. Whats going on?

I locked up exactly once in just under 90 hours of gameplay, that when flipping through menus very rapidly with clumsy button pressing, so in my experience, no, not buggy.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Although I'm a bit bummed I got this for 360 instead of PC, specially as I always go PC when there's a choice (and it's superior), my PC can't handle it and I got that awesome limited edition for 20€ sealed, so.... I think it was good :P
    Still haven't started it though, I have a huge backlog and it seems like such a huge game I don't wanna be playing 50 games at the same time.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've locked up a couple times on the 360 version

Usually when I kill something with the railway rifle

Which is a shame, because I love the railway rifle

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Roshin wrote: »

Have you actually crossed the bridge and entered Rivet City yet? There's an intercom panel on the wall and you need to talk into it before they will extend the bridge and let you enter.

Seeing signs would imply that yes, yes I am in Rivet City. I didn't know about needing to wait till 8 AM, so I ended up just taking off for the Jefferson Memorial. Maybe I'll fast travel back and grab some supplies.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Seeing signs would imply that yes, yes I am in Rivet City. I didn't know about needing to wait till 8 AM, so I ended up just taking off for the Jefferson Memorial. Maybe I'll fast travel back and grab some supplies.

Rivet City can be a pain to navigate because of the weird way it locks down at night. Just head back at midday or thereabouts and it should be accessible.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Arcibi wrote: »
    I've locked up a couple times on the 360 version

Usually when I kill something with the railway rifle

Which is a shame, because I love the railway rifle

*toot-toot*

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The only time I ever used the railway rifle was for the ever classic " Okay I just saved, now lets fucking destroy everyone in megaton before I quit "

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The only time I ever used the railway rifle was for the ever classic " Okay I just saved, now lets fucking destroy everyone in megaton before I quit "

I love doing that. One time I gave that crazy guy in front of the bomb what he wanted and bathed him in the holy glow of Atom.

But I still got negative karma and angry townsfolk after me. He told me to do it!

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I love doing that. One time I gave that crazy guy in front of the bomb what he wanted and bathed him in the holy glow of Atom.

But I still got negative karma and angry townsfolk after me. He told me to do it!

Random slaughterings after saving lead me to find out that Fawkes can take a mini-nuke to the chest and not even blink.

never die on
  • Options
    El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    never die wrote: »

Random slaughterings after saving lead me to find out that Fawkes can take a mini-nuke to the chest and not even blink.

Heh. Reminds me of that time I hit your mum in the chest with a mini-nuke. Except instead of a mini-nuke, it was my penis. And instead of her chest, it was her vagina.

Edit: Also, I'm really really sorry.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    I really wish the enemies in this game would level PAST you, a challenge while your out running around at level 20 would be pretty great.

Also, the DLC coming sooner, either or.

I think they wanted to avoid going that route after Oblivion.

I...I'm...at level 20 right now and am starting to think that maybe level scaling wouldn't be that awful......

I know it was hated in Oblivion, but man, I'd be okay if scaled enemies started showing up in the late game. I'm roaming the wastes and all I keep coming across are raiders and maybe a couple super mutants. Of course, I haven't progressed in the story past Rivet City, but
    I don't think groups of Enclave soldiers will be much of an issue...

I've been using player.setlevel 19 to drop myself back so I feel like the XP is worth something after pouring 65 hours into this character.

try taking on a radscorpion king.

A what?

a rad scorpion king.
    *snip*

or maybe a crystallized mirelurk.
    *snip*

or a deathclaw mother.
    *snip*

or a bloatfly queen.
    *snip*

or more.

Okay, now you're just making stuff up...

...where can I get this mod?

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have come to the conclusion that I love Iron Fist. Two ranks so far, plus a Power Fist, at level 11, exiting a building. 3 Talon Mercs decide they want to fuck shit up. 5 punches later (1 being a critical), they wish they hadn't... or at least they would have, if they weren't lying on the floor dead in nothing but their underwear.

Hell, when I get the third rank, it'll be stronger than a Combat Shotgun. Think upon that. A Combat Shotgun, but it's your fist, not a gun.

...And now I wish there was a Power Fist-type weapon that was as strong as a mini-nuke, but having a console version means I miss out on someone's recolour of a Deathclaw Gauntlet that does 1000 damage, sets them on fire, poisons them, cripples every limb, AND plays a .wav of "FALCON PAUNCH!" every time you use it.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have come to the conclusion that I love Iron Fist. Two ranks so far, plus a Power Fist, at level 11, exiting a building. 3 Talon Mercs decide they want to fuck shit up. 5 punches later (1 being a critical), they wish they hadn't... or at least they would have, if they weren't lying on the floor dead in nothing but their underwear.

Hell, when I get the third rank, it'll be stronger than a Combat Shotgun. Think upon that. A Combat Shotgun, but it's your fist, not a gun.

...And now I wish there was a Power Fist-type weapon that was as strong as a mini-nuke, but having a console version means I miss out on someone's recolour of a Deathclaw Gauntlet that does 1000 damage, sets them on fire, poisons them, cripples every limb, AND plays a .wav of "FALCON PAUNCH!" every time you use it.

Oh God, the Power Fist would be awesome if someone had a .wav that played "FALCON PUUUNNCH!" when you did a hard punch. I would drop my small arms character right now just to abuse that weapon.

Well, the do have a power fist called Fisto!. Yes, with the !.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    SoulGate wrote: »

Oh God, the Power Fist would be awesome if someone had a .wav that played "FALCON PUUUNNCH!" when you did a hard punch. I would drop my small arms character right now just to abuse that weapon.

Well, the do have a power fist called Fisto!. Yes, with the !.

It might a bit less annoying if you just had it on every critical. And it should also immolate enemies.

Edit: Okay, we need to mod the Falcon Paaaaaaawnch! weapon in.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Seriously?

No bugs in 20 hours on PC, then I install the patch and it crashes twice on me in the past hour.

Awesome.

EDIT: Is there any way to uninstall this patch? It crashes every time I load in now.

Maticore on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Maticore wrote: »
    Seriously?

No bugs in 20 hours on PC, then I install the patch and it crashes twice on me in the past hour.

Awesome.

EDIT: Is there any way to uninstall this patch? It crashes every time I load in now.

re-install the game?

edit: so, has anyone else seen Enclave commanders with a Deathclaw cage? They keep them as pets.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Seriously?

Awesome.

re-install the game?

edit: so, has anyone else seen Enclave commanders with a Deathclaw cage? They keep them as pets.

Not sure how far you are in the game (well far enough that the Enclave is out and about) but if you kill one of the deathclaws they have, look at its head or just target it in VATS while its alive and you'll see that it has an Enclave Mind Control Thingy on it.

Main story sorta spoiler regarding enclave creatures:
    Later on once you actually get into the Enclave base you'll see a whole tonne of wasteland mutated creatures in big vats. I guess the Enclave captured them and is doing research on them.

Loathing on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Seriously?

Awesome.

re-install the game?

They're not pets. If you look, you'll notice they're wearing MIND CONTROL HELMETS.

If you break them, they'll freak out and attack everything.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

That's why I let the people in Tenpenny Tower live. Whenever the urge hits me, I save and play out my favorite scenario "Assault on Tenpenny Tower". <3

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png