As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oh Roy Cola!

MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
edited November 2006 in Artist's Corner
I have to hand this in some days from now. I had to choose an art movement and make a sort of omage for it. Naturally I took the one that I could somehow turn into advertisement.

No, seriously... Roy Litchenstein painted things that replicated machine mass produced products which we as consumers... consume, I guess. Well, I turned his beautiful work into another kind of consumable good mass produced by machines.

Oh-Roy-Cola.jpg

Everything is still editable so any feed back is greatly apreciated.

MagicToaster on

• Options
    wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Lichtenstein

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • Options
    CamCam Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    wombat wrote:
    Lichtenstein
    aye

Cam on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Haha nice. So it's mean to wrap around a can I presume? Although, should it also have a product name there somewhere, or is it kinda a mix between art/packaging, and a product name isn't necessary? I really can't think of any crits really... it's eye catching, and has that cool retro feel to it. I like it :^:

PS: in the ingredients section you spelt company "companay" ;)

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Ugh! I mostly get typing mistakes as crits on my threads.

I'll get on those right away. Also, the name of the soda is 'Oh Roy'. I don't think that's comming across clear enough. I should re work the positioning.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If you put that little copyright c or trademark r right after the exclaimation point than maybe it would be a little more clear that thats the title.

I like it Toaster, I think Lichtenstien (or whatever) is a little overrated, but his stuff always ends up entertaining me.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    paulwindpaulwind Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Since this label wrapping around a can, I'd think you'd want to make the objects on the label match up. For instance, the quarter-circle that has 11.27 fl oz, etc., in it will be met with the bottom of the ingredients list. And the girl's backside of her head will be cut off at the same place. I just wonder if you want an abrupt EDGE to your label, or if you want it to flow all around, so that the consumers can look at it in any direction and say "that's Oh, Roy Cola."

paulwind on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    paulwind wrote:
    Since this label wrapping around a can, I'd think you'd want to make the objects on the label match up.

Huge mistake on my behalf. I'm working on a second version with another image where the figure actually wraps around the can.

I'd like to see if I can figure out how this hair is supposed to look around the back so I can draw it and have it wrap around nicely.

Thanks for pointing out this HUGE mistake.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I made a second version using another image. I addressed the issue of the image wrapping around the label. I'm gonna hand both in.

sodapopredxc4.jpg

What do you think?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You addressed the wraparound issue, and I think this girl looks a bit more appropriate in style... but I don't understand the image. It looks like someone being told they have diabetes or something, and doesn't really match up with the speech bubble. If I saw a can with that on it, I would probebly stare at it a few seconds with a puzzled look on my face.

Most commercialized images I've ever seen have smiling people. It would be weird to buy captain crunch for example, have the captain frowning, or crying or something. I would expect the "happy homemaker" routine moreso from a 60's 70's style theme, but to be fair, I wasn't alive then so I'm not positive.

I do like the face better than the old one. Oh and the hand holding the phone looks a little off. Something is weird with the palm, and the pinky knuckle joint looks bent too far. Without forcing it with the other hand, I can't bend that first joint much at all past a 90 degree angle.

Shiboe on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Shiboe wrote:
    Most commercialized images I've ever seen have smiling people. It would be weird to buy captain crunch for example, have the captain frowning, or crying or something. I would expect the "happy homemaker" routine moreso from a 60's 70's style theme, but to be fair, I wasn't alive then so I'm not positive.

I do like the face better than the old one. Oh and the hand holding the phone looks a little off. Something is weird with the palm, and the pinky knuckle joint looks bent too far. Without forcing it with the other hand, I can't bend that first joint much at all past a 90 degree angle.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The lips-

On most lips, where the upper and lower lip's ends taper out will typically not meet at the same point.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Shiboe wrote:
    Something is weird with the palm, and the pinky knuckle joint looks bent too far. Without forcing it with the other hand, I can't bend that first joint much at all past a 90 degree angle.
    I can do it, but then there isn't room for a phone between the finger and the palm. The palm deforms as the joint folds; the mass of the hand is on the face of the palm, between the joint and the phone.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    Kuro HouKuro Hou Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This looks pretty cool, I like the style, but it makes no sense. The voice bubble is what really gets me.

The girl's mouth is closed, indicating that it is not her speaking. This assumption is supported by the fact that her hand is covering the phone. The next logical step is that she is listening in on a private conversation, which would make sense, except that the baloon is pointing away from the phone. The only logical conclusion is that the pixie, who lives in the woman's ear, just barely hidden below her hairline, is also listening in and decided to throw in his two cents.
    Not really. I just can't belive that you would shortchange people almost an entire 3/4 ounce of "Oh Roy!" soda.

Kuro Hou on
    "For a man who looks like a garden gnome, you sure have a lot of demands."

I dare you to make less sense.