As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best Album in the past 10 years?

• Options
    QliphothQliphoth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    lateralus.jpg

Tool - Lateralus

7 years after release I'm still going back and finding new things in this album and enjoying it even more.

Qliphoth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    the runners up:

1f_7.jpg9373since-i-left-you.gifbf_7.jpg
    Girl20Talk20-20Feed20The20Animals_7.jpg150x150_13828funeral.jpg20069and-the-glass-handed-kites.gif

The Killers HOT FUSS
    Almost every song gets regular rotation for me, they took me by surprise with "Somebody Told Me" and every subsequent song delivered. Good stuff.

The Avalanches SINCE I LEFT YOU
    Fantastic by all means. Not something I can listen to all the time but it makes for great driving music, great loving music, great party music... hell it really works for just about every occasion.

Kasabian KASABIAN
    By far one of the trippiest albums I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. I don't remember how I came across it but I'll never forget the first time I gave it a full listen. Leaves you feeling high with or without psychedelics. Wonderful album.

Girl Talk FEED THE ANIMALS
    What can I say. I am a fan of the remix / mash-up scene and nobody has stepped up to the plate more than Greg Gillis the past decade with Feed the Animals. It was ridiculous fun the first listen through and continues to impress me more and more every time I hear it. (Great for psychedelics.)

The Arcade Fire FUNERAL
    Someone else said it, and they mentioned it peters out toward the end, which is debatable, but I certainly agree that it's one of the better albums of the last decade. "The crown of love, has fallen from me..." remains my favorite lyric but I'm also partial to "I'll dig a tunnel, from my window to yours."

Mew AND THE GLASS HANDED KITES
    Someone described the Secret Machines earlier and their description reminded me of Mew's album. As far as individual songs go it's not the best ever but as a whole it's a wonderful work. I really enjoy 'Zookeeper's Boy' and 'Chinaberry Tree.' This is more of an honorable mention because it works as a whole but not every song can be considered great.

my favorite album of the last decade (hands down):

The Mars Volta DE-LOUSED IN THE COMATORIUM
    Mars20Volta20-20De-Loused20In20The2.jpg
    THE MARS VOLTA De-loused in the Comatorium

It's a concept album that, in my opinion, could not be more perfect. I don't know if I'll ever like another Mars Volta album anywhere near as much, or if I'll ever like another album as much. Every single song fits into the concept and as a whole it's a behemoth of beautiful noise.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    the hour-long tale of Cerpin Taxt, a man who tries to kill himself by overdosing on a mixture of morphine and rat poison. The attempt lands him in a week-long coma during which he experiences visions of humanity and his own psyche. Upon waking, he is dissatisfied with the real world and jumps to his death. The story of Cerpin Taxt is based on the death of El Paso, Texas artist (and Bixler-Zavala's friend) Julio Venegas.

I live in Arizona. Currently in Scottsdale which is more of a city area, but was going to high school in Cave Creek when I first got my hands on the album. At first, I didn't get The Mars Volta. I didn't like it. I wanted it to stop. My friend urged me to give it another listen and the second time around I fell in love. Driving through Arizona with this album going is perhaps the best experience I've ever had with music. It's just so unique and mesmerizing. After 100+ listens, this is, in my mind, without any doubt, the best album of the past ten years. I'll never believe a soul who disagrees but that's the beauty of opinion. Below are some selected lyrics...

Favorite line: One day this chalk outline will circle this city...
    Clipside of the pinkeye flight
    I'm not the percent you think survives
    I need sanctuary in the pages of this book
    Gestating with all the other rats
    Nurse said that my skin will need a graft
    I am of pockmarked shapes
    The vermin you need to loathe
    are you peaking in the red
    perforated at the neck
    what of this mongrel architect
    a broken arm of sewers set
    past present and future tense
    clipside of the pinkeye fountain
    now I'm lost
    it's been said
    long time ago
    you'll be the first and last to know
    you'll never know
    Made its way through the tracks
    Of a snail slouching whisper
    A half mass comute through umbilical blisters
    Spector will lurk
    Radar has gathered
    Midnight neuces from boxcar cadavears
    Eriatarka wrote:
    They used to have pulses in them
    But impulse has made the strong.
    Do you recall it's name
    As it suggested beck and call
    This face and heel
    Will drag your halo through the mud
    Ash of pompei
    Erupting in a statues dust
    Shrouded in veils
    Because these handcuffs hurt too much
    Scalpeing these ticketless applause
    And when they drag the lake there is nothing left at all.
    I've been waiting for so long
    For someone to
    Mend all the blame
    Ive been searching for so long
    For something to
    anonymous
    avenge my name
    anonymous
    avenge my name

you came here on time
    I just hope that it's not to late
    I've seen you at night
    Biteing the frost of silence
    Can you cure us of this fate
    Mock the litany in its face
    Is that you moatilliatta
    Televators wrote:
    The house half the way
    Fell empty with teeth
    That split both his lips
    Mark these words
    One day this chalk outline will circle this city
    Was he robbed of the asphalt that cushioned his face
    Pull the pins
    Save your grace
    Mark these words
    On his grave
    You should have seen
    The curse that flew right by you
    Page of concrete
    Stain walks crutch in hobbled sway
    Autodafe
    A capulary hint of red
    Everyone knows the last toes are
    Always the coldest to go

Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Buckethead - Decoding the Tomb of Bansheebot is probably the only album I've listened to the entirety of a dozen times, so I guess it wins by default. A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step is a close second.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Christ, this thread is like a lesson in how to have horrible, wrong opinions. I'm still not finished cleaning vomit from my keyboard from the Limp Bizkit post.
    Sheep wrote: »
    If it's not Circulatory System, it's definitely this one:

Dopethrone.jpg
    This is easily my favorite album mentioned in this thread, but I feel that something as niche as stoner/doom metal is hard to proclaim "album of the decade." I don't agree with the guy who thinks a great album should be easily accessible for everybody, but Dopethrone requires a pretty specific taste.

Oh, I know.

battlesmirroredaz6.png

It's like it was made in an awesome alternate universe where rock music is like 36 times more interesting.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    How the hell did I forget Battles. Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. And the alternate universe comment is surprisingly accurate - kudos, good sir!

Stevo 22 on
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would have to agree with LavaKnight and BurtleBoy in saying In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is the best. Every time I give it a listen, it just gets better and better. Jeff Magnum's voice may be pretty strange at first, but once it grows on you, you realize that it fits perfectly with the songs.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm going to have to go with
    American-Idiot.jpg
    Not just because it's one of the greatest abums I've ever heard (because it is) but also because of the way it was able to sum up a whole generation's anger against the sitting president and to tell a cohesive story St. Jimmy.
    All in all, if fucking ROCKED.

Rent on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My initial choice was Kid A, but that's been mentioned to hell and back, so my runners-up would probably be Panic at the Disco's Pretty. Odd, Daft Punk's Alive 2007, and AFI's Black Sails in the Sunset.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Nimrod is better than American Idiot.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    penguin5201penguin5201 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    NiN hurt is better than Cash's hurt and I will argue this to the death

Especially in concert. An entire close-to-sold-out-arena singing along, while positioned front "row", General Admission, is goddamn powerful. Best concert I've ever been to, hands down.

But let us back up a bit, shall we? We're getting a bit derailed.
    The album's songs should individually be of a certain high quality, but as a whole, the album is even better.

Mhmm. Go on...
    Secondly, the lyrics should be meaningful.

Gotcha. So we have to have an album that is priceless; the number on the sticker is meaningless, the psychological value voids all material cost. It's a collection of singles that are glued together, ribbons and bows on top? Should it inspire you? Does it unravel the mysteries of the flow of life and death, or merely take a curious glance at it? Does it paint a tragic picture? Any colour you like, really - one, all, or some.

In reality, agreeing on a single cut isn't feasible, we all have our unique tastes. What is nectar to me is venom to you - it doesn't even have to be ingested. Objectively though, if we can put genre aside and try to find a work of art that meets this criteria, we'll still be here when we celebrating Valentine's Day.

Nevertheless, I still have my own opinion, right?

Tool - Lateralus

It's not where do I begin, it's how do I begin.

It's such an existential work. If you're sharing some time between only you and Lateralus, it's hard to not question consciousness, driving you into that path's depths until you reach absolute, unhealthy nihilism. The leading single, if I recall correctly, Parabola, (besides making me sound like a soapbox lunatic explaining this) examines pain. Pain is an illusion. Really? What is pain but not an electrical response that something is wrong? Can we really overcome the facade (fancy c) neurologically? Pointy but elegant. I don't have the time at the moment to explain (the song) Lateralus; nothing less than a paper would explain it in full, anyway.

Musically, MJK's voice adequate - not overly plesant-barbaric i.e. Vedder or rock hard a la Hetfield, but a delightful, fluctating balance. The guitar work is impressive. Solid riffs are displayed, but they don't overstay their welcome. Some incredible sections are casually tossed away, a drop of honey that makes you crave more and more. Drums - Carey impresses as always, changing the beat, showing prowess, someone find the video of him doing the closing of Lateralus. And those "filler" songs - you can't have great highs without the lows, and they serve a double, almost contradictory purpose to build something akin to tension. I can't listen to Parabola without Parabol flowing seamlessly before.

But the intro! Just an opinion, really. A founded, structured, opinion? Maybe, I'm not sure I'm making sense at the moment (a bit tired). Forgive me if I'm not. If we do want some tangible fruits along the rails laid by the OP, divide it into genres. Rock, ill-defined pop, etc etc.

Isn't Tool disqualified anyway? They fit too perfectly into the constraints, might be because of the OP's name. Cough.

penguin5201 on
  • Options
    SuperunknownSuperunknown Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I know it's early days for this album, but it's bee a long time since an album as hit me so hard on first listen as Self Titled by Scott Matthew and still continued to blow me away on each listen to this day. The lyrics, the delivery, the instrumentation and the strings. It's all just flat out beautiful.

Alternative votes go to:
    Moving Mountains - Pneuma EP
    The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
    Ghostface - Fishscale
    Sigur Ros - ( )
    The Avalanches - Since I Left You
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
    Radiohead - Kid A

Superunknown on
  • Options
    XenosX_XenosX_ Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    OceansizeFrames300.jpg
    My choice of 'Frames' by Oceansize, goes far beyond the inherent content of the album. If you look at Oceansize's past efforts, you can really see their development, and at least for me, Frames is the final culmination of their talents. There is a perfect balance between polish and friction, which I believe is integral to the tone an album sets, and indeed the entire album works to set the tone; the songs seem to all be chapters in the same story. Normally, I'm more of an instrumental music fan, but the lyrics for Frames were so especially good I can't let that go without saying...
    I ran a trail of fire through the meadow paths,
    Guided by the river banks, trees from which they'll have me hang,
    Keep running away from the fire,
    Keep running away from the light, ‘til it’s gone...

Are all our summers at one with the ground?
    And everything I loved you for, a trail of fire from the door,
    That leads me to a hiding place,
    And locking me inside...

And how loud this blade of grass, and how long ‘til eventide,
    The dark that shrouds your loving neighbor, he's the one who lit the paper,
    While the reason's unexpressed and the sources undetermined,
    The innocent are voiceless, the voiceless are innocent,
    Should I cut that middleman? Just dig a hole and throw me in,
    Say a prayer to my loving savior,
    He's the one who lit the paper,
    Say a prayer to my loving savior,
    He's the one who lit the paper...

From them I strip the title, extinguished and misused,
    And all our engraved memories are unsuccessful remedies,
    I’m sick of papering the cracks, extinguishing the fire tracks...

Though flawed by design, I’m torn from the strife,
    That did pile at the door but is feared no more,
    Though I once wedded her and her want was to play,
    As another's arms held took her wanting away...

Questions, on top of questions,
    Don’t think that answers even here.

It is too late for me...

Unsung Untied Alive...
    Unsung Untied Alive...
    Unsung Untied Alive...
    Unsung Untied Alive...

There are a bunch of runners up though, including The Mars Volta's 'Frances the Mute', Between the Buried and Me's 'Colors', and basically every album by Kayo Dot. They were all transcendent glory.

XenosX_ on
  • Options
    brorsteinbrorstein Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hmm... Seeing as "best" can be taken as favorite, I'll just list a couple that I haven't seen here that have stood my personal test of time.
    C_Fugaziarg.jpghighsociety.jpg4170V65FKGL.jpgtortoise-tnt_album_cover1.jpgbotch.jpegbeck-mutations-300x300.jpg

fugazi - the argument
    enon - high society
    the dismemberment plan - emergency and i
    tortoise - tnt (and standards)
    botch - we are the romans
    beck - mutations

brorstein on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    s7apsters7apster Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My vote is for Josh Ritter, and if I have to pick an album, it would be The Animal Years. You don't hear timeless music like that nowadays let me tell you.

s7apster on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mastodon: Leviathan
    mastodon-leviathan.jpg
    Love the concept, love the style, not too screamy/ growly, amazing artists.

Battles: Mirrored
    battlesmirrored.jpg
    Mind blowing. All I need to say.

Flobots: Fight With Tools
    flobots.jpg
    I really honestly don't like rap, but I love this band, they have an excellent style, their topics are great, and they flow so well.

Incubus: Make Yourself
    make_yourself_b0000296jb.jpg
    Not a bad song on the CD, I always end up coming back to this album.

Korn: Follow The Leader
    Follow%20The%20Leader.jpg
    This CD has some pretty good songs on it, and I wish Korn would go back to this style more. Their new stuff seems so processed.

System of a Down: Toxicity
    toxicity5yd.jpg
    I love this CD. 'Nuff Said.

Honestly, my list is more just CD's I really like that any that I feel should be Best Album of the past 10 years. I don't think I could ever decide that.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My pick for best album of the decade has to be Buck 65 - Square

squarecover.jpg

Profound lyrics and great beats. Very folksy lyrics with a pretty basic hip hop beat accompaniment, just enough to keep you bobbing your head. Remarkable considering it is Canadian.

Sample lyrics from Square One
    I know a man who was born with his heart on the outside
    Every mans worst fear he also had heavy hands
    He couldn’t touch his lovers face
    He couldn’t hold a baby
    He would never desert them
    But he was worried he would hurt them maybe
    Mad at the world his face turned hot pink
    The best he could do was just try to not think
    But he was to bothered
    So he would only try rarely
    He read the last page of every book in the library
    He lacked the charisma
    Of a true revolutionary crime fighter
    Would try to write but kept breaking his typewriter
    He preaches manifesto militant radical
    Was diligent but his greatest mistakes were gramatical
    If he only spent more time rehearsing and preparing
    There wouldn’t have to be so much cursing and swearing
    Eyes on fire
    His volume was blistering
    No one had taught him about the power of whispering
    He is dynamite
    Blows kisses
    Eats dirt
    His mouth of a volcano
    He is a t-shirt
    He stands on stilts
    But doesn’t stand for funny stuff
    Ask me
    He just hasn’t been around the sun enough
    He paints self-portraits
    With a roller
    Only eats corn
    And then tries to sell his own soul
    On a street corner
    He always remembers everyone’s numbers
    And sometimes cries into his own cumbersome hands

Sample from Square Two
    swimming upstream,
    young men and women are fiending for
    immediate intimacy with no limitiations.
    alas, the skirts don't hide the shadows
    cast by the bare ass on the dancefloor.
    sexual warfare waits in the staircase
    and therefore most of them probably
    shouldn't even really be there in the first place.
    unarmed soldiers of lust rub shoulders
    with those older and more immature than them,
    it's disgusting, yet intruiging to see
    overachieving greasers unleashing themselves
    upon the female species,
    especially when the weather gets warmer and then
    the whole entire wardrobe is normally informal.
    for your information, the hats are worn backwards
    and so are the morals when the girls wear overalls.
    it's a sensitive issue involving insecurity
    maturity levels, and lots of toilet tissue 'cause...

the girls are desperate,
    but the boys are even hornier,
    the rose smells sweet
    but the stem is even thornier.
    it's a match made in purgatory,
    what more do you want to know?
    http://www.free-lyrics.org/4369-Buck-65.html

the girls get goosebumps and nipples to notice but
    no one knows how to communicate it's useless when
    lies are told with closed eyes and
    everybody tries to disguise their own flaws when the guys go,
    "we need females and we read details."
    it's card tricks and hard dicks
    and a beat that goes like "uh uh uh yeah, uh huh uh uh yeah."
    the neat part of the meat market apart from the
    darkness and lots of narcotics to me is the hard rocks,
    no one needs to be told twice, there's plenty of cold ice,
    just tight pants and old spice who take shots and roll dice.
    the carpets are crumby with puke coming out of them.
    it's putrid and stupid
    why don't you make a contribution
    to the plan-gathering, as a matter fact, word
    what do you say, this thursday?

the girls are desperate,
    but the boys are even hornier.
    the rose smells sweet

it smells like everything inside of the hideout
    but i doubt anyone really wants to know why,
    oh my, goodness gracious, the place is basically bulging
    with people indulging in, all kinds of fabric,
    it's a magical buffet of pheromones and flesh
    that defies all logic.
    it's just like dodgeball, but instead of a ball
    the contestants throw around the head of a doll
    and i don't know what it means,
    but it makes it worth the cost alone,
    even with the overflowing load of testosterone.
    the sexual appetites are salty, it's a circus,
    the circuits are faulty, and everybody's uptight
    with sweat stains and jet planes and hot rod love songs,
    blistering kisses for every mister and misses,
    in the same of time it takes for you to make a sandwich, love,
    you can probably find someone for you to take advantage of.

'cause the girls are desperate,
    but the boys are even hornier.
    the rose smells sweet

Sample from Square Three
    i was raised on a dirt road
    ghost town, stray dogs
    whole nine, the gold mine closed down
    i knew the woods like the back of my hand
    and i would shoot the breeze
    with the roots and trees
    i'd go by the river
    and watch the way the devil dances
    but never took his hand
    even though i did have several chances
    everybody slept
    when the morning dew turned to frost
    darkness moved in
    and somebody burned a cross
    a girl named stella cuwin
    was prettier than you`d imagine
    the town should've given her the crown
    for the beauty pageant
    but instead
    some local pinhead started spreading rumors
    about the cuwins being inbreds
    and what's worse, people believed it
    cause the family was dirt poor
    and down on their luck
    so that made it hurt more
    picking up garbage and mowing the grass
    at this point stella stopped going to class
    you know how they ridicule a kid in school
    and this shit's enough
    to make anybody feel like a misfit
    she made herself invisible
    and hid inside a house of mirrors
    whenever the fear stops
    so did the tear drops
    but fear is forever
    and lies become legend
    and eventually growing
    slowly, exponentially
    she should've been a cover girl
    treated like a princess
    but she's an enigma
    haunted by the stigma of incest

she tried to hide the scars
    her name reminds me of the stars
    i saw diamonds divide
    in the corners of her eyes

i saw diamonds divide

one horse town
    known for the most softness
    little old schoolhouse
    burned down post office
    blueberries and bulrushes
    a tree with a tire swing
    volunteer fireman's fair
    the whole entire thing
    stella was heartbroken
    decided to start smoking
    bad taste in her mouth
    she grew into a sad face
    her few friends were worried
    but her parents were always pround of her
    but she never escaped from under the cloud cover
    a woman reduced
    she was eaten by a monster
    and after all these years
    the past, it still haunts her
    it whispers her name
    when she's trying instead
    to just listen to music
    while she's lying in bed
    now the story of stella
    is one that every child knows
    but the witch in the woods
    is more like a wild rose

i saw diamonds divide

i saw diamonds divide
    in the corners of her eyes.....

If you haven't heard this CD yet, you are really missing out.

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm going to have to say The Decemberists - Castaways and Cutouts or Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News.

Edit: Or Neon Bible - Funeral. Or, and I know I am going to get a lot of hate for this one, My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Whoa, goddamn. Lateralus feels like so long ago. I didn't realize it was 2001...

To be perfectly honest, my OP probably was rushed. I did it at 8 in the morning without having slept that night, so my meaning was not as... elaborated on as it could/should have been.

I did not mean to try to simply get away with "lyrics should be meaningful", and I didn't mean the album should consist of singles. What I meant was the thematically, as a statement, every song could stand alone with its own message, but as a whole, the songs form an ever greater message/theme/whatever. Like a chorus.

And as for meaningful, I mean, among other things, that there are no filler lines. Nothing is a bigger intellectual turn off in a song than when it is apparent that there are some words or entire lines in a song cast in simply to fit rhyme and meter. They mean nothing, they're just supposed to fit to the music. It doesn't mean the song can't be awesome. See: "In The Air Tonight" Phil Collins openly admitted that the words mean nothing, they were simply written because they sounded good with the score he composed. In fact, the lyrics being deep has nothing to do with whether I can enjoy the song as a piece of music.

But as for "greatest album of the past 10 years", I'm looking for far more than just quality ear popcorn. I want the music to be good, but I want that good music to be set to something substantial.

Lateralus is probably a contender. I know for one the songs are amazing, and I think MJK at least believes his songs are deeper than Mariana's Trench, recently, however, I myself find that perhaps they could not be.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Random trivia: Maynard grew up in the very small Scottville Michigan, where his dad still teaches at the high school there.

I only know this because that town in about 5 minutes away from me, hell I've delivered pizza's to his old school. I know a ton of people who used to hang out with him "back in the day."

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I will say Johny Cash: American IV

31ZATZK7DML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Past 10 years?

whitepony-cover1.jpg

Deftones - The White Pony - I couldn't make up my mind if I wanted to put this, the self-titled album, or Saturday Night Wrist in this spot. I thought they were all brillianr, but I think the White Pony is the one that has the most consistent level of excellence and the most powerful and memorable songs. It's also one of the most bizarrely erotic albums I can think of, yet it's probably one of the best make-out albums I've ever experienced. Digital Bath, Change (In the House of Flies) and Passenger being the prime examples. In terms of just raw energy, I've never heard another song like Knife Party.

The runners up

512GPRw7MWL._SL500_AA280_.jpgsilent_alarm.jpgB0001M6GBY.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Amon Tobin - Chaos Theory

I never, ever thought I would put a video game soundtrack on the short list for best album of a decade, but this is no ordinary video game soundtrack. Incredible textures, fantastic sound quality, frenetic, tension-filled rhythms. Glorious reverbs and echoes, just everything good about AT's style in one package.

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

It's just a powerful album, full of emotion and expressiveness, very heartfelt performances from the entire band, and some really pointed lyrics. The Pioneers is one of the most powerful songs I've heard.

Modest Mouse - Good News...

I don't know how to describe it other than it's kind of a quaint and eclectic journey, but it's one that I've taken over, and over again and have always enjoyed. Ocean Breathes Salty is pretty high on my list of favorite songs of all time.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    MosDef%26TalibKweliBlackStar.jpg

I'm not decided yet, (there's so much awesome out there) but this definitely deserves a mention.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Based on just my first thought, this is, to me the best album of the last decade

31ZZ389J12L._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Other possibilities (I know the electronic ones probably fail in the "has something to say" bit, but still):
    The Postal Service - Give Up, Deepsky - In Silico and DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
    31T1YE51EGL._SL160_AA115_.jpg41K3RKD76JL._SL160_AA115_.jpg51YKBB7AK1L._SL160_AA115_.jpg

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Care to say what they are called to those of us that havn't seen those fucking covers before?

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    VNV_Nation_Judgement_Cover.JPG

With Matter + Form and Futureperfect right behind it.

So much <3<3<3 for VNV Nation. Very listenable, the album flows as a whole, and I love the message the band has.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Give Up was a fantastic album, and has been on my recent regular circuit.

How, it's still a rather personal album.

Please be reminded that this doesn't make it bad at all. And also, of course, these are simply my own definitions.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    penguin5201penguin5201 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Whoa, goddamn. Lateralus feels like so long ago. I didn't realize it was 2001...

To be perfectly honest, my OP probably was rushed. I did it at 8 in the morning without having slept that night, so my meaning was not as... elaborated on as it could/should have been.

I did not mean to try to simply get away with "lyrics should be meaningful", and I didn't mean the album should consist of singles. What I meant was the thematically, as a statement, every song could stand alone with its own message, but as a whole, the songs form an ever greater message/theme/whatever. Like a chorus.

And as for meaningful, I mean, among other things, that there are no filler lines. Nothing is a bigger intellectual turn off in a song than when it is apparent that there are some words or entire lines in a song cast in simply to fit rhyme and meter. They mean nothing, they're just supposed to fit to the music. It doesn't mean the song can't be awesome. See: "In The Air Tonight" Phil Collins openly admitted that the words mean nothing, they were simply written because they sounded good with the score he composed. In fact, the lyrics being deep has nothing to do with whether I can enjoy the song as a piece of music.

But as for "greatest album of the past 10 years", I'm looking for far more than just quality ear popcorn. I want the music to be good, but I want that good music to be set to something substantial.

Lateralus is probably a contender. I know for one the songs are amazing, and I think MJK at least believes his songs are deeper than Mariana's Trench, recently, however, I myself find that perhaps they could not be.

Brings up another good point: the cut should have some value of replayability. You have to be able to throw this album on repeat, and be entertained for hours, like a Slinky. Well... urgh... I guess if it is a contender for a "great album", the nominator has to have listened to it > 1 time? Blarg, nevermind, I defeat my own point.

And I understand what you're saying about the depth of MJK. The songs are so deep and abstract that they really could mean... nothing? So abstract that there isn't a handhold for reality. You can synthesize one, saying this song is about "lost loves," but it fits equally with the subject of "death." So deep it's shallow.

Also, good morning.

penguin5201 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Brings up another good point: the cut should have some value of replayability. You have to be able to throw this album on repeat, and be entertained for hours, like a Slinky. Well... urgh... I guess if it is a contender for a "great album", the nominator has to have listened to it > 1 time? Blarg, nevermind, I defeat my own point.

And I understand what you're saying about the depth of MJK. The songs are so deep and abstract that they really could mean... nothing? So abstract that there isn't a handhold for reality. You can synthesize one, saying this song is about "lost loves," but it fits equally with the subject of "death." So deep it's shallow.

Also, good morning.

Well, personally, replayability is actually a rather low priority for me. It's nice, and god knows I'll listen to the same song over and over if I need to (Purple Rain), but if the piece is so powerful the first time through?

In all reality, the chance of finding something of that sort that I've never heard of? That I've never heard anyone mention before? Low low, but then again, I didn't actually hear about The Postal Service until... a few weeks ago. So I'm pretty ignorant to new stuff.

And I think you've more or less captured the thing about his lyrics that just... tilts my head a little, quirks my eyes. Sometimes they almost seemed... manufactured obscurity. Something produced from a template. The music is amazing, and Tool was always a fantastic band when it came to different music, particularly in tempo, so I'm not trying to disparage the band all that much.

And good morning.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    MimasMimas Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I loved Postal Service.

Also, I nearly forgot Avalanche by Matthew Good.

Mimas on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Or, and I know I am going to get a lot of hate for this one, My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge.

Alkaline Trio did everything My Chemical Romance has done, ten years ago and better.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    strakha_7strakha_7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kasabian - Kasabian was a good album, good call there.

Can't bring myself to agree with Green Day though. They have a great image but I can't much stand the albums they've made. just me though.

strakha_7 on
    Want a signature? Find a post by ElJeffe and quote a random sentence!
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Zero tolerance policies are almost invariably terrible.

One might say I have zero tolerance for them.
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mimas wrote: »

Also, I nearly forgot Avalanche by Matthew Good.
    Yeah, that is really fucking good

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    strakha_7 wrote: »
    Kasabian - Kasabian was a good album, good call there.

Can't bring myself to agree with Green Day though. They have a great image but I can't much stand the albums they've made. just me though.

That's funny, because I like some of the albums Green Day has made but I can't stand their image.

Stevo 22 on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Nimrod shuffles from incredibly inventive to godawful mundane.

I give American Idiot the best Green Day album.

So,

American Idiot.

I was going to say In Utero but thats to late, then The Blue album. Man I need to get into new music.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My initial choice was Kid A, but that's been mentioned to hell and back, so my runners-up would probably be Panic at the Disco's Pretty. Odd, Daft Punk's Alive 2007, and AFI's Black Sails in the Sunset.

One more vote for Alive 2007. It may not be for everyone... But it has so much energy.

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • Options
    edited December 2008

So,

American Idiot.

I was going to say In Utero but thats to late, then The Blue album. Man I need to get into new music.

What? No. God no. A thousand times no. Unless Dookie NEVER HAPPENED.

Stevo 22 on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Stevo 22 wrote: »

So,

American Idiot.

Its pretty much a tie for me but you know LOL opinions.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Stevo 22 wrote: »

So,

American Idiot.

Its pretty much a tie for me but you know LOL opinions.

I guess for me it's more that Dookie seemed like they were hardly trying and became unfathomably cool/wonderful but with American Idiot they're trying way too hard. I even agree with most of their 'message' but I just can't stand them on that album.

edit: And while, yes, that still means the album could contain artistic merit, the 'forced feeling' kills it for me.

Stevo 22 on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I had a really hard time choosing between Relationship of Command by At The Drive-in and The Fragile by NIN. I think I'll go with The Fragile because it's more of an awesome album than just an awesome collection of songs.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    evilbob wrote: »
    I had a really hard time choosing between Relationship of Command by At The Drive-in and The Fragile by NIN. I think I'll go with The Fragile because it's more of an awesome album than just an awesome collection of songs.

Relationship of Command was only released in 2000? I thought it was waaaay older for some reason.

Tav on
This discussion has been closed.