As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Transfering xbox360 junk

SynapseSynapse Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've been borrowing my friend's 360 for the past month, saving plenty of game data and purchasing a few games/map packs. I'm buying a new 360 for myself very soon. How do I transfer ONLY my profile and data to the new drive? I've read about the transfer kit, and it seems you can only move the entirety of the drive's data and delete the content off the old one (do not want!).

Helps?

brawl code: 1719-2854-9722
Synapse on

• Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you buy a memory card I know you can move profiles to it than put them on your new hard drive. However Saved game stuff i am not 100% sure about.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you buy a new console you can actually write MS for a free transfer cable.

http://assets.xbox.com/en-us/support/MigrationKit-OrderForm.pdf

I don't know if you will have his profile on your box if you use it, but it might be quicker to do the whole drive and then delete his stuff.

Also, you should be able to re-download most of your content as you use it, just like if you deleted it from your xbox now. Your profile and stuff can be pulled from the internet when you sign in, so you might be able to get by with just moving your saves on a memory card.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    If you buy a new console you can actually write MS for a free transfer cable.

http://assets.xbox.com/en-us/support/MigrationKit-OrderForm.pdf

I don't know if you will have his profile on your box if you use it, but it might be quicker to do the whole drive and then delete his stuff.

I don't mind transferring everything, but won't that wipe the old drive of everything? I need to keep all of his data on his old drive. Thanks for the free cable info.

Synapse on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yeah the cable does wipe the drive

I'm kind of in the same boat because I have a lot of arcade games and I've heard that getting them in particular back via redownloading is a PITA.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hells bells. I really wish this wasn't so complicated. 5 arcade games, a bunch of save files, and 3 map packs shouldn't be so difficult to move to a new system without completely killing old data. Damnable machine.

Has anyone performed this successfully?

Synapse on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    purchase new xbox, recover your account to it, go to download history and redownload your content.

To bring your saves over, you're going to need a memory card.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    purchase new xbox, recover your account to it, go to download history and redownload your content.

To bring your saves over, you're going to need a memory card.

Swell! I'll try it out. Thank you kind sir.

Synapse on
  • Options
    capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As far as I know, content is still tied to two things -- your (online) profile and your console. So, recovering your profile to another box will keep all the same content available to you, however if you are not online (for the system to verify that you do indeed own the content) you won't have access to some of it -- your XBLA games will be the demo versions, and such.

This is the way it worked last I knew, anyway. I believe it still works that way. In short, recovering your profile will work fine, but only while you're online.

capnrico on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    capnrico wrote: »
    As far as I know, content is still tied to two things -- your (online) profile and your console. So, recovering your profile to another box will keep all the same content available to you, however if you are not online (for the system to verify that you do indeed own the content) you won't have access to some of it -- your XBLA games will be the demo versions, and such.

This is the way it worked last I knew, anyway. I believe it still works that way. In short, recovering your profile will work fine, but only while you're online.

Yeah basically.

When you buy an XBLA game or paid DLC, you get the right to use it on the first console you download it on, and any console you're signed in to.

So if you switch consoles, you can still use your content, you just have to log in to XBL first.

If you're the only person who uses your console, it's not a big deal, but if you have siblings/roommates who use it a lot when you're not home, it can be a little inconvenient. Still, it's a pretty flexible system.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The simplest solution:

1. Buy a memory card, use to copy over profile/saves
    2. Use the DRM Transfer tool online to move your DLC license to your Xbox instead of your friend's
    3. Redownload XBLA games and DLC on your new Xbox using the Download History function to give you a list of everything.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.