As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Arkham Horror: Investigator Victory!

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Good luck to Vincent and the nun; I'll be camping out here in R'lyeh waiting to make my way back.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hold up, there, Michael. We still need to resolve all this and draw a new Mythos card before we make it to the next upkeep/move.

Darian on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My will is currently 0, so I auto fail my test. But I reduce that Sanity Loss by 1 anyway, so no change.

But loosing that single stamina point has me half dead!

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lost in time and space? Not like that could happen to someone of my faith in the lord! (Seriously, I can't be lost in time and space.)

Success, no free ride through the mists to the church for me.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    "Looks like we found some readin' material, Duke."

"ARF"

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Darrell Simmons in Administration
    Pass a Will (-1) check to get the dean to offer you a retainer to write a manuscript for the college. Gain a Retainer card.
    OR
    Discuss the opportunity to sell a monograph with the President of the University. Pass a Lore (-1) check to make the sale and gain $5.

Let's go with what's behind door number one! Will 4-1: 3 Successes :D Holy cow.

Darrell Simmons gains a retainer(+$2 per upkeep, roll higher than 1 during upkeep or discard).

You've got the right man for the job, Dean. The people will know the truth of what's going on around here even if everyone wants to close their eyes.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    And this game was going so well, too. D:

Darian on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ah, you see this bird sitting on a guys shoulder? That's the symbol piercing insight so combined with this laying cat you get the phrase pronounced as..... Hastur, Hastur, H-old on..., I mean "Klaatu barada nikto."

Ehem.

I am -1 clue, I am plus one spell. I'm kinda annoyed as that's what I figured was going to happen but couldn't resist the chance of getting a spell not named Voice of Ra.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ah, you see this bird sitting on a guys shoulder? That's the symbol piercing insight so combined with this laying cat you get the phrase pronounced as..... Hastur, Hastur, H-old on..., I mean "Klaatu barada nikto."

Ehem.

I am -1 clue, I am plus one spell. I'm kinda annoyed as that's what I figured was going to happen but couldn't resist the chance of getting a spell not named Voice of Ra.

It'd be funny if you got the heal spell, you being the doctor and all.

Valkun on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    "Why yes, Mr. Sanford, I'd be delighted to join." Maybe he has some clues as to what's going on in this town, the wacky bastard.

Pay $3, takin' a Silver Twilight Lodge Membership.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Valkun wrote: »

Ehem.

Anything that doesn't require me to be a cheerleader would be welcome.

Any thoughts as to where we should head next turn? We could easily pick up that nearby clue unless you can figure out something better.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Ehem.

Anything that doesn't require me to be a cheerleader would be welcome.

Any thoughts as to where we should head next turn? We could easily pick up that nearby clue unless you can figure out something better.

Let's hit the Unvisited Isle? There should be a chance to get Clues and Spells. If it's all the same to you, I'd like to head towards the Asylum until I get some Sanity back. I'm liable to get some bad luck and go insane any turn.

Valkun on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Arkham Encounters

Kate Winthrop joins the Silver Twilight Lodge

Darrell Simmons gets a new Retainer

Harvey Walters saw a ghost! But, he just killed a pair of them, so he's not freaked out.

Vincent Lee is -1 Clue, gains Find Gate

Sister Mary dodges the rats

Mythos
    Gate to the Dreamlands opens at the Unnameable
    Sister Mary is drawn into the Dreamlands and delayed

Gate spawns Byakhee and Witch

Clue appears at Woods

Witch moves to Merchant District
    Byakhee moves to Sky
    Dimensional Shambler moves to Rivertown

New Environment:
    Darke's Carnival Arrives
    Investigators who end their movement in the Northside Streets gain 1 Clue token from the sinister wonders they witness, but must pass a Will (-1) check or lose 1 Sanity.

Current Board:
    turn5.jpg

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    What is this place I'm exploring?

No slider changes; I'll just move on to the next zone.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Can I cast Find Gate and then immediately close the gate this turn?

Plutonium on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    No slider changes, moving deeper and further into the Abyss.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Plutonium wrote: »
    Can I cast Find Gate and then immediately close the gate this turn?

Yes. If you can succeed on your casting (lore) roll.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    if I move onto jdarksun's location this turn, can he pass me off the tome?
    if I move through jdarksun's location, can he pass off the tome?

The rules say before, durring, or after movement.

My plan is to sneak past the witch, move to jdarksun to grab the tome and either wait there or move to the store to shop.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »

My plan is to sneak past the witch, move to jdarksun to grab the tome and either wait there or move to the store to shop.

There's no need to sneak, you go after me.

Gain $2, $5 total.
    Whoops, almost forgot Retainer Check: 4
    Should gain 1 Stamina from Doctor Apathetic. Now at 3 Stamina

No Change to Sliders

1. Move Darrell Simmons to Miskatonic University.
    2. Move Darrell Simmons to Merchant District.

Fight the Witch
    Magical Resistance: Magic Damage is divided in half (rounded up).
    Tougness: 1
    Combat: -3
    Damage: 2

No sanity check.

Fight(2) + .45 Automatic(4) + Enchanted Knife(3/2 r. u.) + Witch(-3) = 5, 1 Success Needed

5d6: 2 Successes

Gain Witch Trophy.

As Darrell limped along the street with his new companion, he began to notice a strange buzzing. Not from anywhere nearby, but from within his mind. Feeling that his activities lately might have caused more damage then he thought, the reporter stumbled towards an alley to lean against a wall.

That's when he saw her, stricken immediately by her enchanting face and exotic clothing. The fact that she was holding up a no longer living feline still dripping in blood did little to break the enthrallment that settled over him. But when she spun around with the very fury of hell in her eyes, he snapped to attention.

Doc, you go on ahead. Looks like I have a little business to take care of.

Pulling the .45 calibur pistol from his jacket, he jumped to the other side of the alley just as a spear richoted off the bricks where he had been. Without even enough time to worry about where it had come from, he deftly put a bullet through her forehead.

Waste of a good face.

DA, go ahead and pick up a clue or do whatever you want to do. I'll catch up next turn and we can continue on our way.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sounds good.

Casting Find Gate to get out of the Dreamlands, paying 1 Sanity to bring me to 4/6

Fail

Alright, stuck in the dreamlands.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Upkeep/Movement:

Michael McGlen kills the Dimensional Shambler.

Darrell Simmons moves to the Merchant District, kills Witch.

I think that both would be fine. So long as you are at the same location you can trade, even if you keep moving afterwards.

Current Board:
    turn5movement.jpg

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So the Byakhee is the only monster left on the board? We're doing a good job of keeping the streets clear.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It seems to be going almost too well. Although the monsters also seem to be moving much more often than I am used to; must just be odd combinations of mythos card/monster symbols.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    In that case I'll move to the General Store to shop, grabbing the Gangster's Tome as I go.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    It seems to be going almost too well. Although the monsters also seem to be moving much more often than I am used to; must just be odd combinations of mythos card/monster symbols.

Well, we only have two more gates before Cthuhlu is summoned. D: Closing some of those should probably be a top priority.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Well, we only have two more gates before Cthuhlu is summoned. D: Closing some of those should probably be a top priority.

Doom track is at 4; Cthulu doesn't show up until it hits 13. Plenty of time. Also, we're in process on three gate closings, now. At least one using an elder sign, which will lower the doom track.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Doom track is at 4; Cthulu doesn't show up until it hits 13. Plenty of time. Also, we're in process on three gate closings, now. At least one using an elder sign, which will lower the doom track.

That's only one condition. For 8 players if 5 gates are open simultaneously Big C also gets summoned. If the terror track gets too high, it is summoned. If we run out of gate or monster tokens, it gets summoned. Gotta keep track of all that stuff or we can be in for a big surprise.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    In that case I'll move to the General Store to shop, grabbing the Gangster's Tome as I go.
    Any chance you've got some food or booze?

"Aye"

*throws Michael McGlen an old Flask*

"Take your time with that. I brought that into the country myself, special Vintage from the Canadian wilds."

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

That's only one condition. For 8 players if 5 gates are open simultaneously Big C also gets summoned. If the terror track gets too high, it is summoned. If we run out of gate or monster tokens, it gets summoned. Gotta keep track of all that stuff or we can be in for a big surprise.
    Gah. In my defense, I still haven't played this with any local groups. Thanks for the clarification.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Gah. I've let my sheet become disorganized and I'm not sure what I have. I'll piece it together, but I think that I'm going to hurl myself into the Abyss at the Witch House regardless. Hopefully a Clue Token will show up so I can seal it.

We're getting waaay too close to the gate limit.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So somebody who really understands what is happening (which is not me) would it be a good idea for me to go walk over to the unnameable and get sucked in so I can Find Gate then attempt to close it next turn with just a Lore check?

I'm fuzzy on the distinction between sealing and closing and just how much we want to do of either right now.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You should probably stock up on clue tokens, I'll be probably closing the gate at the unnameable next turn.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hmm.....I thought you were on your way to another gate since that one just opened this round. I'm just a little unnerved by all this talk about the gate limit and such.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well those are specifics but no advice...
    No wonder everybody killed you in my game.

I somehow thought we had a gate with nobody seeing to it but it seems we have people going towards each and every one of the gates we have open, so I figure I'll just grab the nearby clue then.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    New post just to update this.

Upkeep: Heal Darrell Simmons 1 Stamina. Speed/Sneak move one pip to 2/3
    Movement: University -> Science Building
    Take Clue.
    Take encounter.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Two points: We only have three gates right now...second, I can (and have) read the rules but the difficulty comes from understanding the entire interaction and making judgments based upon that. So when I heard we needed to close gates I went and looked up the procedure to do so and judged that I could likely close a gate. The issue I have judging if this is what is needed and just how likely I am to survive getting to the easily looked up mechanics. It's the other stuff, the relative value of closed versus sealed and just when it's important to push hard on one instead of gathering strength are the big things I don't think I've got yet.

Hmm....this isn't intended as snippy, I just feel bad that you wrote all that out when really all I wanted was the last two paragraphs or so.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    When we're back down to a manageable number (say, two or three), we can worry less about the gates and more about getting the tools we need to keep Cthulhu sleeping or beat his ass down when he wakes.

I'm not sure there is any manageable number this game... we're at three at the moment, already, and that has people worried. Maybe one would be manageable.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Two things:

1. Cthulhu has a long doom track. If we close without sealing, it's not the end of the world.

2. It takes two full turns to explore an Other World unless you have Find Gate. 3 open gates is the 'scary number' at which points we need to start hitting gates in case more open.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Alright, presuming I can change my orders which gate should I make for? Plut's got a good chance at closing the nearest (and if I get the outer world thing it's the only one he can close) and he's just as fast as I would be with Find Gate. I can reach the Abyss one, will have at least 4 dice to try and close it and if I make the first find gate spell I can probably afford at least one Voice of Ra to bump that to 5. Thoughts?

Edit: Who's in the Abyss right now? I can translate tokens to names now that the cards are edited out.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I don't think you would want to go into a gate at the moment; once one person successfully explores it, they can close the gate. At that point, if you are still inside, you'll be lost in time and space when it is time to return to Arkham (if there is no open gate going to the proper world). Since there is already someone exploring each gate, grabbing clues (you'll need five to seal a gate) is probably your best bet.

Darian on