As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steak Marinade

UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
What's a good marinade for a steak? It's a top blade steak and I read it can be a bit tough so I'm looking for a marinade to mitigate this factor.

Underdog on

• Options
    ApplechipsApplechips Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't know much about marinades, but I would say something lightly acidic and only gently flavored, over a long period of time (a couple of days) in the fridge.

Applechips on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Soy sauce, garlic powder, and a liberal application of ginger. No need to marinade for more than eight hours. If you want a smoky/gamey flavor, use a cheap soy sauce like La Choy that’s adulterated with corn syrup.

supabeast on
  • Options
    fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The easiest thing is a bottle of Italian dressing.

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • Options
    NeverfadeNeverfade Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    McCormick brand Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Not a marinade, but turns steaks into Super Steaks!

Neverfade on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like to use some sort of citrus juice. Orange juice works really well.

Some carbonated beverage works great too. A bit of Coke/Pepsi in there to get it going. Let it sit overnight.

Then the spices you want. Personally, I like garlic powder, thyme, basil, and curry powder. You only really need to use thyme OR basil, but I prefer both.

Honestly though if you're creative you can make a marinade out of pretty much anything that'll break down the steak.

Asiina on
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I use Worcestershire sauce, pepper, crushed green peppercorns, salt, chopped garlic and thyme as my fallback marinade. The general rule of acidic+salt+pepper+optional garlic stands strong.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    VeeVee Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lawry's Steak and Chop marinade

Best marinade ever.

And for a rub go with what Neverfade said. It's delicious.

Vee on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    One cup each of worchestershire sauce, orange juice, cooking sherry. Mix in half a cup or so of brown sugar. Add teaspoons of black pepper, ginger, and garlic powder. Submerge the steaks and let 'em sit for a few hours, overnight is best if it's a tough cut.

zilo on
  • Options
    TrippyDKTrippyDK Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If I recall, Cooks Magazine did a test to see if marinading for long periods of time really did help the meat out. They said 45 minutes to an hour was pretty much the golden time. Any longer than that youre not really doing as much as you think you are.

TrippyDK on
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Neverfade wrote: »

Montreal Steak Spice is freakin gold. I like the Club House rub stuff the best, as opposed to the dry spice mixture... it's so freaking good. I tend to add a dash of HP sauce and some extra pepper to it, but I'm a big fan of strong flavours

ihmmy on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Chopped onions, Worcestershire Sauce, and Honey.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    fuelish wrote: »
    The easiest thing is a bottle of Italian dressing.

Yep. Basic, works well.

When marinading tough meats, a citrus based mix is the best. The acid helps loosen up the muscle fibers and connective tissues.

I suggest:
    2 TBS Lemon Juice
    1/2 C. Orange Juice
    2 Cloves of garlic, smashed or minced
    Simply as a base for whatever else you add garlic, soy, whatever. Adjust the amount depending on the size/quantity of meat. I buy lots of tough (see: cheap) meat, and this helps loosen it up some.

Alton Brown's book, "I'm Just Here for the Food" has an excellent section on brining/marinading. Here is a red meat marinade he suggests:
    Rhapsody for Red (Meat)

4 TBS Soy Sauce
    4 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
    2 TBS Red wine vinegar
    2 TBS Teriyaki Sauce
    2 TBS Lemon Juice
    2 Cloves of Garlic (Whole, but slightly crushed)
    1 TBS Dijon Mustard
    1 TBS Extra virgin olive oil

Mix all of this vigorously. Place meat and sauce in plastic bag. Suck air out and refrigerate for 2-8 hours.
    Remove from bag, do not rinse, and cook as desired.

He says that this is enough for a single flank stake.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Also:

Lots of people say that sticking a fork into the meat a few times to help the marinade get in there is bad, because you'll lose vital flavors and juices. I do it. Simply because I use cheaper meat that really doesn't have a whole lot of flavor/juice to save in the first place. I don't really notice it tasting any different, especially with the cheaper cuts I buy.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    lime juice and soy sauce.

throw them in a bag together for a couple hours with your steak.

BBQ it up, flipped only once, (for my BBQ its about 6 minutes each side for well done, YMMV) then throw a handful of fresh raspberries onto the steak and serve.

for extra fun you could get an orange or yellow bell pepper, hollow it out, fill it with rice (cook the rice beforehand) and some of your soy sauce, wrap in foil, then throw that on while you're on the second leg of grilling.

edit: I'm still trying to figure out if I should do some kind of berry or fruit in the rice, but I'm fairly proud of my lime-soy-rasp steak recipe.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Cook it over charcoal if you can. I find this helps with tough meats too.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    italian dressing, soy sauce, white wine.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mustard & vinegar.

For great justice, use stone ground mustard (it's pretty chunky stuff) and red wine vinegar.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ihmmy wrote: »
    Neverfade wrote: »

Montreal Steak Spice is freakin gold. I like the Club House rub stuff the best, as opposed to the dry spice mixture... it's so freaking good. I tend to add a dash of HP sauce and some extra pepper to it, but I'm a big fan of strong flavours

I put this on frozen burgers I buy at the grocery and it makes them from bland and shitty to delicious in 0 seconds flat.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like to use foodnetwork.com and just search for marinade.

Right now, I'm marinating some venison steaks in a local brewed chocolate porter.

1 Cup dark beer
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    4 smashed galic cloves (I opted out of this, garlic doesn't agree with me)
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    2 bay leaves
    1 teaspoon ground mustard
    1 teaspoon basil
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon thyme

Whisk everything together and then either use a sealable bag and put your meet in it and let it sit for at least 3 hours, or use a bowl or dish and cover it. When I marinate I like to use a nonreactive bowl, like glass, because I've stained plastic ones in the past when I've used wines.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    lime juice and soy sauce.

throw them in a bag together for a couple hours with your steak.

BBQ it up, flipped only once, (for my BBQ its about 6 minutes each side for well done, YMMV) then throw a handful of fresh raspberries onto the steak and serve.

for extra fun you could get an orange or yellow bell pepper, hollow it out, fill it with rice (cook the rice beforehand) and some of your soy sauce, wrap in foil, then throw that on while you're on the second leg of grilling.

edit: I'm still trying to figure out if I should do some kind of berry or fruit in the rice, but I'm fairly proud of my lime-soy-rasp steak recipe.

7-Up with this one and it is fucking amazing.

Topia on
  • Options
    The-PimpThe-Pimp Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Try using Dale's Marinade

41qqgywQ7IL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The-Pimp on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    3/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    rosemary
    fresh garlic
    thyme

My wife and I use this for ke-bobs all the time, and fucking love it.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter