As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

And another thing...

• Options
    KittenKitten Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Eh, not sure. I feel like if there were at least like, an outline by Adams, or some story notes, it wouldn't bother me to see some one else flush it out.

I'm definitely going to give it a look, perk of working at a bookstore is I can stand around reading and get paid for it, but I don't think I'll buy.

Kitten on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    iStevoiStevo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kitten wrote: »
    Eh, not sure. I feel like if there were at least like, an outline by Adams, or some story notes, it wouldn't bother me to see some one else flush it out.

I'm definitely going to give it a look, perk of working at a bookstore is I can stand around reading and get paid for it, but I don't think I'll buy.

Well, there is a few chapters in Salmon of Doubt about a third Dirk Gently book that Douglas himself admits would work better as a sixth Hitchhikers installment. Im not sure if Colfer would be allowed to use it though, or evenif he would be willing to.

iStevo on
    ...I'm so hip, I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited December 2008
    Maybe a fresh mind is exactly what the series needs.

bongi on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well it'd be hard to make due with Adams' brain now wouldn't it

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2008
    bongi wrote: »

I don't understand why this series still needs anything.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited December 2008
    Larlar wrote: »
    bongi wrote: »

I don't understand why this series still needs anything.
    Well yeah there is that.

bongi on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    FIRESIGN THEATER

finally someone else who has even heard of them

h5 h5 h5 h5

if I had only known before Secret Satans I would have bought you a copy of Shoes for Industry!

Usagi on
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    this is like someone picking up a deck of cards and saying, you know, I always thought stars would make a good fifth suit

Skull Man on
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Usagi wrote: »
    FIRESIGN THEATER

h5 h5 h5 h5

if I had only known before Secret Satans I would have bought you a copy of Shoes for Industry!
    oh my goodness, you too?

I bought my dad this for christmas: http://www.amazon.com/Box-Danger-Complete-Nick-Casebook/dp/B001EOQV5Y/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1230508367&sr=8-1

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well it'd be hard to make due with Adams' brain now wouldn't it

make due?

make do?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Usagi wrote: »
    FIRESIGN THEATER

h5 h5 h5 h5

oh my goodness, you too?

I bought my dad this for christmas: http://www.amazon.com/Box-Danger-Complete-Nick-Casebook/dp/B001EOQV5Y/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1230508367&sr=8-1

oh wow, I think I might need that!

Usagi on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh man Firesign Theater

I love me some Nick Danger, Third Eye

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    May I take your hat and goat?

Usagi on
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    may I rape your cat

what

take your hat

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    what

what is this

it sounds funny

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    it's nick danger, third eye

it's one of the bits that firesign theatre did

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nick Danger is actually the only Firesign Theatre I've ever listened to

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Los Angeles, he walks again by night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5XfXECpU6w

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Nick Danger is actually the only Firesign Theatre I've ever listened to
    some of the rest of it is really fantastic too

but nick danger is my favorite

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The fourth book had a wistful, slight feel to it. More like a coda than a full story. It had a bittersweet ending and really once
    Marvin dies
    who really gives a shit?
    The last one was such a chore to read even without the depressing ending

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    doublehawk00doublehawk00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i have the big, gold leafed editon of the whole series sitting next to me, as well as the tv series and movie. personally i think they did a fantastic job with the movie, and i don't like complaining about its negatives because after i bought a big book showing all the concept work they did for the visuals i know that i wouldn't have been nearly as dedicated to the project as the people who made the movie were.

really, rather than a 6th book by a mediocre author, i would like to see them do books 2 and 3 as movies

doublehawk00 on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2008
    I really do want them to go back and do more movies, but I think that it's so unlikely that I'm not even going to think about it and hope I get a pleasant surprise one day.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    doublehawk00doublehawk00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i remember at one point i was thinking about doing a comic adaptation using garry's mod just for fun

now that it has become a heck of a lot more powerful that might actually look kind of cool

doublehawk00 on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    RubberAC wrote: »
    Ok thanks for the specifics dudes
    Fenchurch just up and vanishes for no reason. The publishers for the Hitchhiker's Guide is taken over by The Man. Arthur gets saddled with an angry, neglected daughter by Trillian, though he doesn't actually ever have the privilege of fathering her, who proceeds to be a teenager and runs off with a sentient version of the Guide to an alternate Earth, which is, after said daughter kills Agrajag in a club called Starvo Mueller Beta and thus unsticks the causational logjam keeping Arthur Dent immortal, immediately blown the hell up.

Everyone dies.

Furthermore, no one else in the universe cares.

Ha ha ha!

Seriously on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    the first artemis fowl book was pretty rad but I don't know how I feel about this

It takes a big man to admit this

I liked it too

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think I was allowed to like it because I was about 14 when I read it, but I just lost all interest in the series after the second book (artemis fowl of course, not hitchhiker's guide)

L|ama on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So who's working on the Dirk Gently octalogy?

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    it's nick danger, third eye

it's one of the bits that firesign theatre did

"Oh, she's no fun she fell right over.

Wait, didn't I say that on the other side of the record?

(The A side starts to play in reverse in the background)

Aheh, its okay, they're speaking chineese."

Radio is an under appreciated medium these days.

iStevo on
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    haha wow that sounds awesome, cue feverish searching for Firesign Theatre clips...

Honestly I can't think of anything more disturbing than having a stranger add to someone's work that I really enjoy.

If/when Terry Pratchett ceases to create I hope to god no one tries to emulate him inside his own universe. There's just no point, you can't get in someone's head just because you've read and re-read a few of their books.

It would be one thing if he'd outlined the book in its entirety via extensive note taking but I don't think that's happened.

I am slightly pessimistic about how this will turn out, although that being said, Timothy Zahn did as good a job writing in someone elses Universe as I think can ever be done so I think it's possible to have a small bit of hope this effort might be able to emulate his success.

maybe... but I doubt it...

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Until I read "Eoin Coifer" I was imagining George RR Martin writing the sixth book. Dear God...

Iskander on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Iskander wrote: »
    Until I read "Eoin Coifer" I was imagining George RR Martin writing the sixth book. Dear God...

Had to Google that guy, never read his stuff.

But he has a magnificant beard.

iStevo on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you haven't read A Song of Ice and Fire, you are missing out on the intolerable wait for the next book to be released.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That sounds like barrels of fun. But I'll pick up the book anyway because I like to punish myself.

iStevo on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    yeah this is gunna suck

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i liked the dirk gently series better than HGTTG

Kovak on
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kovak wrote: »
    i liked the dirk gently series better than HGTTG

I had my own fridge cold-war type of experience with some roommates a couple of years ago. Only instead of a fridge it was a garbage can, and the rotten food was in fact poop, yes, like from a butt.

I did not end up hiring a criminal to remove the offending items however.

PS. Dirk Gently is awesome.

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Iskander wrote: »
    The air was chilly, and fog drowned the sight of the bare winter trees. Even birds did not sing in this place, for they had taken to the air many summers before, never to return. The smell of ash seeped into all things, though no fire built by man had touched the ground since memory served. If a branch cracked or an insect scurried, no one heard it -- not here.

The sun rose, cold and uninterested in penetrating the thick mist. Day was only separated by night by the ability to see that one was able to see nothing. The earth was dry and brittle, the soil a loose mass of crumbled rock. Nothing moved.

The soil shifted, then ceased. Nothing moved again for what seemed like hours. Then again, the dirt pushed violently upward against the fog in a heap, jagged rock tumbling away from its peak. Black fingers with splintered black nails clawed out of the earth and viciously slashed at the ground, grasping for purchase and pulling with all their might. An arm emerged, then another, and a head and torso followed. Here the figure stopped and stared vacantly into the distance, as though the fog were not there at all. His eyes were blue as ice, his skin white and bloodless. When he spoke, his voice was the rasp of a saw across granite.

"This must be a fucking Thursday. I never could fucking get the hang of fucking Thursdays."

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ahaha, zombie Arthur.

iStevo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I spent too much time doing that for the, like, four people on the forum who have read ice and fire :(

awwwww :(

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Lunch break in ten, Borders down the road.

You've compelled me.

iStevo on