As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Atheist contends, "Africa needs God"

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    :|

I've already clarified that my statement is what I have heard. I am perfectly willing to accept that I am in error. My point was that I do not automatically question journalism when it reports something that seems to confirm a trend that has been evident for all of human history. Don't be fucking dense. When someone says "A group of known assholes did something stupid" I don't go to the fucking college library to investigate because it's already been well-established that assholes do stupid shit. Investigations are for when you plan on ACTING on something, or when something is unusual.
    This doesn't strike you as unusual?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm sorry man but baby raping doesn't fall into the non unusual list unless you do actually have a massive bias.

And even then.

Baby-raping has been confirmed, unless you don't trust the BBC in which case shit man, I don't have time to look through JSTOR. Christian groups are widely-reported to make shit up about sexuality and disease, see: Abstinance-Only Education in America. It is not a huge leap of faith I'm making here.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nobody's denying that baby-rape happened. I just have trouble believing that it's an epidemic, or that it happens for the superstitious reasons specified in the article.

I myself have heard that child sex abuse occurs at high rates not because virgins are seen as magical, but rather because their youth is believed to be a guarantee that they are free of disease.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Basically religion+religion=dead raped babies.
    These are some pretty bizarre logical leaps you're making Incenjucar. That article makes only the tiniest mention of Witch Doctors and absolutely zero mention of Christianity.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Religious bullshit causes enough harm that I don't bother to investigate every specific instance of it, I'm sorry if my having a life offends you.

Really? This works now? In a thread in which we debate stuff? Fine.

I heard incenjucar is a baby rapist and has the IQ of a dying frog, and he eats puppies. See, I dont have to support these statements with facts, because they are facts, and im not gonna bother to investigate facts about a baby rapist. Especially not a stupid one that eats puppies.
    this thread is going places!

Hey Cat!

You know, I was planning to make a post in this thread, but it's already descended into ridiculously petty nonsense.

At least when this stuff goes down in SE++ it's usually funny.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It is not a huge leap of faith I'm making here.

Poor information about reproduction doesn't translate to baby rape. It's a pacific ocean sized leap of faith you're making.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm sorry man but baby raping doesn't fall into the non unusual list unless you do actually have a massive bias.

And even then.

Baby-raping has been confirmed, unless you don't trust the BBC in which case shit man, I don't have time to look through JSTOR. Christian groups are widely-reported to make shit up about sexuality and disease, see: Abstinance-Only Education in America. It is not a huge leap of faith I'm making here.

Hey, just because a religious group does stupid things doesn't mean they do EVERYTHING THEY ARE ACCUSED OF DOING.

If you don't have enough time in your amazing life to not research every single news story fine, but accepting everything said about them is just poor critical thinking.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Gafoto wrote: »
    These are some pretty bizarre logical leaps you're making Incenjucar. That article makes only the tiniest mention of Witch Doctors and absolutely zero mention of Christianity.

Looking through the articles I'm finding (which almost all seem to have been in 2001-2002), it looks like it was blamed on the government spreading myths about HIV. I'm pretty sure I heard about it in 2006 or 2007, but as it stands, I have no evidence to back up that particular point, and I need to get to bed more than I give a damn, so I'll drop it.

--

Either way, bullshit has a long history of causing people harm. I am unaware of anything of significant value to the native Africans that could be gained by intentionally deluding them.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    wishdawishda Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    wishda on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Gafoto wrote: »
    Poor information about reproduction doesn't translate to baby rape. It's a pacific ocean sized leap of faith you're making.

My logic leap was Native Bad Information+Foreign Bad Information=Bad Decisions. So.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That doesnt make sense

Native Bad Information+Foreign Bad Information=Bad Decisions

People not knowing how aids work + Religious teachings = baby rape?

Really?

Edit: If thats not what you're saying, say so. Its late and my reading comprehension may be subpar.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kagera wrote: »

And even then.

Hey, just because a religious group does stupid things doesn't mean they do EVERYTHING THEY ARE ACCUSED OF DOING.

If you don't have enough time in your amazing life to not research every single news story fine, but accepting everything said about them is just poor critical thinking.

I like this because it says my point without any confusion.

So I second this and it is what I'm trying to say.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Holy fuck.

The articles clearly state that there is a pre-existing myth about cleansing via virgins.

The trigger to utilizing the myth is the shitty information being fed to them by non-native groups, whether it's missionaries or the government or whatever.

It's not that fucking hard.

--

I've already stated that Usually X does not mean Always X. We are not in disagreement there. I just disagree with you on when something is unusual enough to warrant investigation. Happens when you've read about enough stupid shit inspired by various faiths. I'm just more used to religion leading to horrible or stupid things than the rest of you are.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008

And even then.

I like this because it says my point without any confusion.

So I second this and it is what I'm trying to say.
    In principle you're right, but not in this case

although frankly I place the bush government as being solely responsible for allowing this shit to proliferate by only funding charities who are anti-abortion (and usually anti BC, and therefore anti-facts-about-sex).

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    ThorionThorion __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    The Catholic Church's ban on condom use has proven just awesome in Africa.

Because we all know every African is well-educated, not to mention well-fed. If they don't use condoms, it's the Pope's fault - after all, sex education, and HIV prevention, is discussed very openly in Nigeria and South Africa. :|

Thorion on
    Wanted for failure to pay
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh right those guys. They're definitely not to be called scientists. Also murdering them would be considered natural justice.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Thorion wrote: »

Because we all know every African is well-educated, not to mention well-fed. If they don't use condoms, it's the Pope's fault - after all, sex education, and HIV prevention, is discussed very openly in Nigeria and South Africa. :|

Hey I may not blame the church for the baby-raping but their fear mongering and anti-sex education rhetoric does NOTHING to help the situation, which is supposedly the reason they are there.

Kagera on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Virginity is a christian myth? Most arabic religions value it, as do many other cultures. I hardly think it's a specifically christian value.

That's what I meant by stretching to make it fit. The assumption is that the virginity value came from missionaries. It was the whole reason I found it stupid.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Virginity is a christian myth? Most arabic religions value it, as do many other cultures. I hardly think it's a specifically christian value.

o_O

Who is saying that, especially after the articles talking about native African virginity myths?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh right those guys. They're definitely not to be called scientists. Also murdering them would be considered natural justice.

If nothing else, Duesberg is a good argument for the people who want to end academic tenure. I'm not for it, but he's one of those cases that give me pause.

Also, by publishing Inventing the Aids Virus, Regnery Publishing once again places itself at the center of all that's evil and stupid in this country.

wishda on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Hey no one's dissing virginity. It's the whole 'abstinence is the only way' bullshit. The Catholic Church has the benefit of access to the the best medical information in the world, and many in Africa don't. It is irresponsible for the church to omit that kind of information if their core purpose of being there is to help.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

o_O

Who is saying that, especially after the articles talking about native African virginity myths?
    Don't forget the raping to death of babies.

I thought that was a myth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/correspondent/2311067.stm

Wait, how is Christian dogma responsible for that?
    Wait, how is Christian dogma responsible for that?

As I recall, it had to do with missionaries telling lies about reproductive health and creating a huge mass of confusion and distrust about STDs.
    Holy fuck.

The articles clearly state that there is a pre-existing myth about cleansing via virgins.

The trigger to utilizing the myth is the shitty information being fed to them by non-native groups, whether it's missionaries or the government or whatever.

It's not that fucking hard.

o_O Right back at you.

The only lynchpin of your argument is that the missionaries helped to create the myth of cleansing by spreading shit about sexuality.

Only you aren't being consistent with this.

This is the only lynchpin if you take it away that article has no mention of christianity.

Other than your tv show you saw once.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Hey I may not blame the church for the baby-raping but their fear mongering and anti-sex education rhetoric does NOTHING to help the situation, which is supposedly the reason they are there.

You're seriously, SERIOUSLY, overstating the capabilities of the Catholic Church to impose its sexual code on people.

They do nothing to help, nor to hinder the situation. The situation in point being a complete clusterfuck the likes of which most people in the 1st world can't begin to conceptualize. You have no food, no school, no basic health care, and you're going to worry about condoms?

Thorion on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That's what I meant by stretching to make it fit. The assumption is that the virginity value came from missionaries. It was the whole reason I found it stupid.

You found it stupid because you misunderstood my statement? :P I never claimed the virginity myth came from the missionaries, I was simply under the impression that they spread bad information, leading the locals to go back to their own sources of bad information. It seems I may have made a mistake as to the origin of that return to local myths, but I never claimed there was a cleansing myth from the missionaries - I'm not aware of any such.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    And stop being so patronizing to the Africans, Incenjucar. You're making them sound like Tarzan savages who'll listen to whatever perverse crap the government or missionaries will tell them - they're human beings, they're perfectly capable of making their own perverse crap.

Thorion on
  • Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think Incenjucar is referring to the myth that having sex with a virgin will cure you of your STD's?

Edit: Damn I was slow.

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    edited December 2008

You found it stupid because you misunderstood my statement? :P I never claimed the virginity myth came from the missionaries, I was simply under the impression that they spread bad information, leading the locals to go back to their own sources of bad information. It seems I may have made a mistake as to the origin of that return to local myths, but I never claimed there was a cleansing myth from the missionaries - I'm not aware of any such.

It's hard to understand you when you start with BABY RAPING and then people have to pry qualifying information out of you with a crowbar. :|

But whatever. I guess we are done.

(I still find it stupid you just assumed that though.)

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Cimmerii wrote: »
    I think Incenjucar is referring to the myth that having sex with a virgin will cure you of your STD's?

Yes.

Which originates in the native culture.

--

ML: I can be wrong. I had assumed that everyone had heard the same information that I had, so I didn't think I needed to substantiate it much. Obviously I was wrong. It happens. That said, my only error was that it was the missionaries caused the distrust, when the articles seem to point to the government instead. Everything else remains in tact, I'm was just blaming the wrong source of non-science.

As such, beyond the simple "Christianity" issue, Africa needs more access to things which can be backed up. Whether missionaries or faux scientists, Africa seems to be suffering from an extra large dose of misinformation. Next they'll get libertarians. :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

You're seriously, SERIOUSLY, overstating the capabilities of the Catholic Church to impose its sexual code on people.

They do nothing to help, nor to hinder the situation. The situation in point being a complete clusterfuck the likes of which most people in the 1st world can't begin to conceptualize. You have no food, no school, no basic health care, and you're going to worry about condoms?

And I think you are seriously underestimating the importance of faith and the teachings of the catholic church in many countries. We're not talking about missionaries converting the heathens here, but the large swathes of the population who are extremely religious and are at church every sunday listening to the priest tell them why using a condom is against their faith. (seriously, I allegedly live in a 'Christian' country, and there is nothing here like you find in, for example, Rwanda, when it comes to church attendance and very seriously following the interpretation of the bible given to you from the pulpit).

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Hey part of the great Christian aid to Africa is supposed to be education right?

You'd think in a continent with a major AIDS problem they'd try to do something to help people.

But yeah I can see how AIDS would be lower in priority than making sure the African people believe in the right sky fairy.

Kagera on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I think you are underestimating it, if for no other reason than it is an alternative voice which is contradicting correct messages. They are clearly doing harm with their anti-condom message, though the exact magnitude is hard to measure.

Yes, because condom use dramatically reduces the spread of the AIDS virus? Condoms are an important step to an Africa with a high quality of life, even if they are one of many.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    BobCesca wrote: »
    And I think you are seriously underestimating the importance of faith and the teachings of the catholic church in many countries. We're not talking about missionaries converting the heathens here, but the large swathes of the population who are extremely religious and are at church every sunday listening to the priest tell them why using a condom is against their faith. (seriously, I allegedly live in a 'Christian' country, and there is nothing here like you find in, for example, Rwanda, when it comes to church attendance and very seriously following the interpretation of the bible given to you from the pulpit).

I don't think there's any argument that the various churches are not helping things in Africa.

The programme includes a Catholic nun advising her HIV-infected choir master not to use condoms with his wife because "the virus can pass through".

The Archbishop of Nairobi Raphael Ndingi Nzeki told Panaroma that condoms were helping to spread the virus.

"Aids...has grown so fast because of the availability of condoms," he said.

In Kenya, one in five people are HIV positive.

Gordon Wambi, director of an Aids testing programme in Lwak, near Lake Victoria, told the programme that he could not distribute condoms because of opposition from the Catholic Church.

"Some priests have even been saying that condoms are laced with HIV/Aids," he said.

According to Panaroma, the claims about condoms are repeated by Catholics as far apart as Asia and Latin America.

wishda on
  • Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    How many foreign aid groups actually offer condoms though? I doubt the majority of the christian groups are doing so. Even if people were worried about condoms/STDs/etc, how many would actually have access?

Also, the church must have some power if they are preventing organizations from AIDS testing. I don't know how far the distribution of the "condoms give you AIDS" message will go.

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I don't think the discussion is helped by this kind of stuff. Outside a few major trouble zones, 'Africa' is pretty fucking diverse and not at all like you're painting it above. Its not super happy fun times, but IIRC the worst conditions globally for humans (shortest life expectancy, lowest GDP, lowest literacy rate, etc) are actually in a few south-east asian countries.

And that completely discounts rural/urban and other demographic disparities which actually place some parts of highly developed nations on par with the worst the developing world has to offer.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Cimmerii wrote: »
    How many foreign aid groups actually offer condoms though? I doubt the majority of the christian groups are doing so. Even if people were worried about condoms/STDs/etc, how many would actually have access?

Millions of people have cell phones in Africa
    . South Africa is a prosperous nation with a nearly First World economy. Things are bad in Africa, but not so bad that people couldn't have access to little pieces of rubber, if they wanted them.

wishda on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Generally speaking, when people speak of a region they're speaking of the region that gets presented by Hollywood.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Does hollywood even DO african cities? I don't remember any.

Deserts yes cities no.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Generally speaking, when people speak of a region they're speaking of the region that gets presented by Hollywood.
    Yeah, you know what, these posts are neither informative nor useful, and the sneering tone just makes me want to hit you with a stick until you decide to contribute something interesting.

t wishda: access actually isn't as easy as you'd think in many areas, and a compounding problem is the really really regressive gender roles which religious charities just frankly love to death. Women in developed countries often aren't in a sufficiently powerful position within their relationships to be able to control their own sexual activity or reproductive rate; things are a million times worse for them in rural Nigeria.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm pretty sure that Africa, Hollywood is composed entirely of huts and dudes with spears.

--

The Cat: I was simply reminding that when someone says "Region" they mean "Portion of region that I am aware of due to media."

When people are talking about missionaries in Africa they're rarely assuming these missionaries are meeting by a skatepark in the shadow of a skyscraper.

tl;dr I was agreeing with you.

Incenjucar on