As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wireless Routers, lol?

MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
I'm looking to buy a new wireless router. I need one with gigabit ethernet. Any ideas guys?

I found one or two from Linksys that cost over $200 Thats slightly out of my range of price.

N is preferred, although at this point I think I would be cool with G.

Aprjs.png
sig.jpg
MeepZero on

• DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Get something (anything!) that will run DD-WRT.

Daedalus on
  • SunstrandSunstrand Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just picked up a new router, it hasn't arrived yet but what id DD_WRT and what does it do?

Edit: I read it's wiki on what it does and i think I now know less than I did before. In laymans terms of what it does would be nice. I assume it is more for advanced users not basic users who migh forward a port or two to play online.

Also sorry for highjacking the thread, I may have a solid suggestion on a router if mine ever gets here.

Sunstrand on
    BorderlandsClaptraps.jpg
    edited December 2008
    DD-WRT is custom wireless router firmware compatible with many Broadcom-based routers. It will magically make your $60 consumer-grade router have the features and reliability of a $1000 buisness-grade router.

Seriously, I installed this on my Buffalo WHR-G125 about a year ago and it's had more uptime than my ISP.

meanwhile I'm at my parents' house for winter break and their Linksys thing running its stock firmware needs to be power cycled like once a week.

edit: the most commonly used router for this is the Linksys WRT54GL, but many others will work. (Any Linksys WRT54G that doesn't have that "L" at the end will be the new, shitty version that won't work.)

Daedalus on
  • MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thats great and all, but the WRT54G(L) does not support gigabit right? Thats needed for this setup to work.

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
    edited December 2008
    No but the compatibility list is pretty big and I'm sure there are some on there that support gigabit. You'll probably pay a bit more, naturally.

Daedalus on
    edited December 2008
    So...then...back to square one, I need a gigabit router with wireless

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
    edited December 2008
    after some looking: The Linksys WRT310N is apparently compatible, and is on sale at Newegg for $86.

Daedalus on
    edited December 2008
    Not bad, I glanced over that one at least once or twice when looking, everywhere else had 10/100 listed instead of the /1000

Looks like it has range issues though, think it will reach at least to the G ranges?

Also, that custom firmware, does it fix range problems like the one mentioned? Or is it simply for expanding the abilities of the unit?

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
    edited December 2008
    MeepZero wrote: »
    Not bad, I glanced over that one at least once or twice when looking, everywhere else had 10/100 listed instead of the /1000

Looks like it has range issues though, think it will reach at least to the G ranges?

Also, that custom firmware, does it fix range problems like the one mentioned? Or is it simply for expanding the abilities of the unit?

Range abilities are generally hardware-based, and that particular one probably suffers from lack of an external antenna.

But hey, like I said, I'm running a Buffalo WHR-G125 right now (I didn't need gigabit), so anything about any other router is just hearsay.

Daedalus on
    edited December 2008
    Basically at the moment I'm trying to do some fancy home networking between a couple apartments, we are running a gigabit line into the other apartment and are trying to come up with a way to make it all work.

Ive got a diagram set up for what I want to do and how to do it, its just finding the hardware to make it all work.

Since you seem a bit networky savvy, I could use your opinion on something.

I'm moving into this apartment, the guy in the other one is talking about running the ethernet into my apartment so we can stay on lan lines instead of having to go to the internets to play our games or transfer files etc etc. If I had cable internet in my apartment, and he had cable in his, is it possible to link the two networks together to still allow for lan access? Offhand the only issue I can see is the DHCP mess in finding a way to make the router ignore certian systems on the network for addressing since the other router would clear that up.

Sorry if this is a bit disjointed, the alternative is we use his internet and I really don't know if that will work out as well as I would hope.

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
    edited December 2008
    If you're both on cable, and you're in the same building, odds are you're just one router hop away from each other anyway even if you connected "over the Internet".

but yeah, you'd have two systems handing out DHCP addresses which would be problematic.

You could have one cable internet connection that you both share, I guess? Dunno about the legal issues involved.

Daedalus on
  • zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Easiest way to do that is to have two network adapters on each computer. A lot of newer motherboards come with two or you could buy an extra card. Set up your first cards normally with your own routers, etc. and network the second cards together on a different subnet.

Example: If your cable modem was on 192.168.0.X, set the two second NICs to 192.168.1.X, etc.

zanetheinsane on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    edit: the most commonly used router for this is the Linksys WRT54GL, but many others will work. (Any Linksys WRT54G that doesn't have that "L" at the end will be the new, shitty version that won't work.)

For what it's worth, one of my wireless setups is running off of a regular WRT54G running the dumbed-down version of DD-WRT. It doesn't have all of the super-advanced functionality of a full DD-WRT router, but it works fine. It's still stabler and has more functionality than any router running stock firmware in its price range. I don't see the point in buying a regular WRT54G when a WRT54GL often costs the same or within $5 or $10, but there's no reason to think that a regular WRT54G is utter junk.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited December 2008
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »

For what it's worth, one of my wireless setups is running off of a regular WRT54G running the dumbed-down version of DD-WRT. It doesn't have all of the super-advanced functionality of a full DD-WRT router, but it works fine. It's still stabler and has more functionality than any router running stock firmware in its price range. I don't see the point in buying a regular WRT54G when a WRT54GL often costs the same or within $5 or $10, but there's no reason to think that a regular WRT54G is utter junk.

The problem is that some revisions are not utter junk, and some are, and it's hard to tell which is which.

Daedalus on