As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spelunky - A Roguelike Platformer! (New Version Out!)

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So is the PC version not going to be updated to be as cool as the XBLA one?

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Doesn't seem that way, since he's had a couple of years to get it to that point.

But, considering how much enjoyment I got out of the freeware version, I have no qualms about handing Derek Yu $15 (or the $10 he gets from Microsoft after XBLA fees) for the latest one.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Heyyyyooo! Kisses/Puggy licks heal you? Hot damn, i never noticed before... I shall endeavor to rescue these damsels and pugs more often. You know... instead of using them as bait

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Found a secret! And by found, I mean I almost died and stumbled upon it!
    So do you have to bait these worms with a damsel in order to get them to come out? I sat on one of these things for way longer than in this video by myself and nothing happened.

Edit: Some weird forum quirk baffled me for a moment.

BloodySloth on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Found a secret! And by found, I mean I almost died and stumbled upon it!
    So do you have to bait these worms with a damsel in order to get them to come out? I sat on one of these things for way longer than in this video by myself and nothing happened.

Edit: Some weird forum quirk baffled me for a moment.

Yeah. You need the damsel as well.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    So I made it all the way to the very end without shortcuts
    Only to get instagibbed by Olmec when he moved one block above me. It looked to me like there was more than enough space to survive, but the game disagreed.

Fuck video games forever.

Steam Profile: Lork
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    So what did they add to this game for XBLA besides the updated graphics and music and multiplayer modes?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    edited July 2012
    So I finally beat the game without shortcuts. My heart just about stopped when I died to the last boss... but then I realized that I still had the Ankh. Man, what a rush. Somehow my score, which was less than half of what you need for one of the achievements got me 49th place on the leaderboards.

So what did they add to this game for XBLA besides the updated graphics and music and multiplayer modes?
    Better controls, a bunch of new items enemies and dungeon features, new optional side areas, and a new postgame area that's apparently so hard that nobody's even gotten to it yet.

Lork on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Some people have actually, it also has the final character you need to unlock for the achievement and some people now have that.

It is really hard to get there.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Tunnel Man wants me to bring him
    the key from the Eye chest
    all the way to the end of the third world. I almost did it, too, then an alien shot through a shop ceiling and all Hell broke loose.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Heyyyyooo! Kisses/Puggy licks heal you? Hot damn, i never noticed before... I shall endeavor to rescue these damsels and pugs more often. You know... instead of using them as bait

If theres any life lessons to be learned from playing Spelunky, its that women can sometimes be used as projectile weapons to kill spiders and snakes.

Gah!

GAH!

I came within a button press of the ice caves... but there was a tiki trap right next to the exit, and i didnt push RB fast enough or something. :(

I'd bought a mystery box at a shop on 1-2. Inside was a jetpack... it was glorious. 2-4 was rediculous, and had i not had the jetpack, i would have never made it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Ugh this game. Just dumped three hours in and had a lot of fun dying over and over and over again.

Any tips and tricks?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Ugh this game. Just dumped three hours in and had a lot of fun dying over and over and over again.

Any tips and tricks?

You're doing it right.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    Gah!

GAH!

I came within a button press of the ice caves... but there was a tiki trap right next to the exit, and i didnt push RB fast enough or something. :(

I'd bought a mystery box at a shop on 1-2. Inside was a jetpack... it was glorious. 2-4 was rediculous, and had i not had the jetpack, i would have never made it.
    Always bait them into triggering first and run for the door while the spikes are retracting when you need to do that. If the door is sandwiched between two tiki traps, I usually just bomb them because I don't want to risk accidentally grabbing onto the edges. Better safe than sorry.

I got killed by my own scepter blast. That was... vexing.

These differences between the PC and xbla versions are subtle, yet maddening.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    edited July 2012

Any tips and tricks?
    Always look before you leap. Hold down or up for a second to look in that direction to make sure you're not going to jump into something dangerous.

Try to be carrying something with you wherever you go. You can throw whatever it is at enemies and trigger traps without exposing yourself to danger. Rocks, arrows, skulls (after you've jumped on them), damsels, corpses... It's all good.

You can sacrifice people on altars of Kali to get good stuff. Damsels are especially valuable to Kali, so if you're comfortable with your current amount of health or you just can't be bothered to carry them all the way to the exit it's something to consider.

Lork on
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    I've been playing this on and off for the past two years.

So fucking excellent.

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012

I've only played the demo (the whole first world), but IMHO the XBLA version is much tougher. More enemies (including more with projectile attacks); arrow traps shoot faster and farther; the boulder rolls faster and farther; whip attacks seem slower; more jars contain enemies, and those enemies require a second whip hit to kill; etc.

On the PC, I can regularly get to the ice world without much trouble, but this morning I died 25 times before getting to 1-4 and finishing the demo. Some of that was simply how long it took me to master the controls, though -- I kept throwing bombs or ropes whenever I meant to open a box, etc.

Edit: The boomerang is a fantastic addition. Very powerful, and its both cheaper and more common than the shotgun.

Hedgethorn on
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

I've only played the demo (the whole first world), but IMHO the XBLA version is much tougher. More enemies (including more with projectile attacks); arrow traps shoot faster and farther; the boulder rolls faster and farther; whip attacks seem slower; more jars contain enemies, and those enemies require a second whip hit to kill; etc.

On the PC, I can regularly get to the ice world without much trouble, but this morning I died 25 times before getting to 1-4 and finishing the demo. Some of that was simply how long it took me to master the controls, though -- I kept throwing bombs or ropes whenever I meant to open a box, etc.

Luckily, the controls are completely remappable, so I could change them to the way I have my gamepad set up on my PC.

Y'know, for my own amusement, I'm going to list the non-addition differences I've spotted between the versions:
    • You just whip boxes and chests instead of using Up+Use. No big deal.
    • The dice game is gone, replaced by a kind of wheel-of-fortune dealie. Getting a skull doesn't actually hurt you, as I was afraid of at first.
    • Enemies in jars require a second attack to actually hit them if you whipped the jar open.
    • The pistol's gone. No more budget weapons; it's either shotgun or nothin' in the early levels.
    • Either the whip is shorter, or the enemy hitboxes are smaller. You're not guaranteed to hit an enemy across a one-block gap anymore. The whip will also strike behind you very briefly into its animation.
    • Doing a flip-hang while holding something will cause you to throw it up into the air, hitting you on the way down and knocking you off the edge (and usually doing damage, too). This was the best way of dropping stuff down a one-block gap for me, so it's really annoying.
    • Likewise, doing a flip-hang directly in front of an arrow trap won't set it off "safely" anymore, but I think that may have been a bug in the PC version.
    • Arrow traps are far more lethal - the arrows have a lot more range and are still dangerous on the rebound.
    • An arrow that hits something doesn't disappear entirely; it leaves behind a broken arrow, which while harmless can still be picked up and thrown.
    • Damsels seem more resilient to bomb blasts when standing idle.
    • Bombs go off more quickly now.
    • The player doesn't go into the flail-animation when standing on the platform at the top of a ladder anymore.
    • Using a bomb on a boulder will start it rolling again, instead of destroying it.
    • Boulders will actually bounce when hitting a one-block gap, which will then make them go through the floor when they land. This means boulders are far more likely to cause a lot more destruction by tearing vertically through the level instead of just rolling back and forth on one elevation. Expect shopkeepers and Kali to hate you.
    • Speaking of Kali, she doesn't seem to be as enthusiastic about caveman corpses as she used to. Maybe it's just me.
    • "Dark" levels are horribly difficult this time around. Only getting one torch instead of three flares is pretty bad, and the shading gradient makes the light bubble around you feel smaller. There are smaller stationary torches you can light along the way, and these will relight your main torch if it goes out. Traps are also light sources.
    • The shotgun being black instead of grey can make it easier to lose track of in some backgrounds if you happen to drop it.
    • Scepter shots can go backwards and kill you, instead of being the godlike deathspam from the PC version.
    • The music doesn't begin to slow down until the ghost actually appears at 2:30 now, instead of slowing at 2:00.
    • The ghost is actually vulnerable to something now.
      You can't kill it, but a camera will stop it in its tracks for a second or two. It might be worth using in multiplayer.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Bursar wrote: »
    [*]The pistol's gone. No more budget weapons; it's either shotgun or nothin' in the early levels.
    The pistol is gone, but you can still get the machete and there's a new boomerang weapon.
    [*]The whip will also strike behind you very briefly into its animation.
    This happened in the PC version as well.
    [*]Doing a flip-hang while holding something will cause you to throw it up into the air, hitting you on the way down and knocking you off the edge (and usually doing damage, too). This was the best way of dropping stuff down a one-block gap for me, so it's really annoying.
    Not true. What probably happened was that you stood right on the edge and went into the flailing animation for a split second before you dropped down.

Lork wrote: »
    [*]Doing a flip-hang while holding something will cause you to throw it up into the air, hitting you on the way down and knocking you off the edge (and usually doing damage, too). This was the best way of dropping stuff down a one-block gap for me, so it's really annoying.
    Not true. What probably happened was that you stood right on the edge and went into the flailing animation for a split second before you dropped down.

I'll have to double-check when I get a chance to play again, but I remember it was definitely while crawling over the edge. There could have been circumstances at play with the block layout.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    [*]The pistol's gone. No more budget weapons; it's either shotgun or nothin' in the early levels.
    The pistol is gone, but you can still get the machete and there's a new boomerang weapon.
    [*]The whip will also strike behind you very briefly into its animation.
    This happened in the PC version as well.

The same thing happened to me. I tried to do a flip-hang while holding a rock, and the rock managed to smack me upside the head and kill me.

The best way of throwing stuff down a one-block gap now seems to be to set it on the edge and whip it into the hole; the whip now moves weapons, idols, the damsel, etc.

I also managed to knock myself out with a bomb I threw up in the air; it rebounded, hit me on the head, and killed me. And then it exploded. Could this happen on the PC version? I don't ever recall get knocked out by the bomb itself (as opposed to its explosion).

Hedgethorn on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Projectiles definitely seem more dangerous and likely to deal damage when just dropping or bouncing off something. If there's a rock or something stuck in a web, and I jump into the web to try and retrieve it, when we both fall, that rock will likely do damage to me on the way down.

Another thing that seems different, although it could just be me, is that level difficulty seems to ramp up within worlds. 1-4 always seems like it has far more enemies, and more difficult kinds of enemies, than 1-1. I don't remember that being the case in the PC version.

• Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular

I'll have to double-check when I get a chance to play again, but I remember it was definitely while crawling over the edge. There could have been circumstances at play with the block layout.

I'm 90% sure you are correct. The solution is to walk over an edge and immediately turn and grab it... but it's kind of silly that the "safe" option can get you killed.

edited July 2012
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    The same thing happened to me. I tried to do a flip-hang while holding a rock, and the rock managed to smack me upside the head and kill me.

You're right. I hadn't noticed because I always walk off ledges and then turn around to grab onto them because it's much safer and faster. Anyway if you're having trouble dropping items down a gap, remember that you can nudge them with your whip.

Lork on
    Coming across a nest of giant spiders was...unpleasant. Especially given that I was out of bombs.

A lucky jungle run got me to the ice caves!

Also, fuck the ice caves! Tunnel Man asked for 2x the bombs and rope for the ice cave shortcut. Can I assume he's going to want $20,000 to finish it?

• POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    Hoo wow this game

I picked it up Saturday evening around midnight and went to bed at a bit after six in the morning on Sunday. Oops. I've gotten to the temple after a run in which I got a kapala and a cape and a compass. The ice caves are cake when you can just float down from the top. Nearly every other run has concluded in horrifying disaster.

Here's a question: has anybody gotten the Ankh achievement? I bought it
    in the Black Market
    but the achievement didn't unlock. It also didn't help much because in the very next stage, which was dark, there was some unpleasantness with a pit of spikes in which I lost the torch. Oh well.

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    So is the PC version not going to be updated to be as cool as the XBLA one?

The XBLA version will eventually be released on PC, but that's it.

Also, fuck the ice caves! Tunnel Man asked for 2x the bombs and rope for the ice cave shortcut. Can I assume he's going to want $20,000 to finish it?

You can assume that.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    Dang. Gonna have to try and get from 1-1 to 3-1 then.

Also, it looks like Meat Boy is one of the unlockable characters.

• DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    I gotta say, I haven't had this much fun repeatedly dying in horrible ways in a long, long time.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited July 2012
    Hoo wow this game

I picked it up Saturday evening around midnight and went to bed at a bit after six in the morning on Sunday. Oops. I've gotten to the temple after a run in which I got a kapala and a cape and a compass. The ice caves are cake when you can just float down from the top. Nearly every other run has concluded in horrifying disaster.

in the Black Market
    but the achievement didn't unlock. It also didn't help much because in the very next stage, which was dark, there was some unpleasantness with a pit of spikes in which I lost the torch. Oh well.
    Yeah I didn't get the achievement the first time I got it either. The next time, it popped, so just keep trying and eventually you should get it, I guess.

You can assume that.
    Hey now, don't be a dick. This game hates its players enough already; we need to stick together.

Tunnel man doesn't want your money. Instead he needs something far more insidious:
    A shotgun.

Lork on
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Gahfragrabble!

On 2-4, plenty of health (7 hearts), plenty of everything, I jump down, land next to the exit, but it's juuuuust too far, so I bounce and take damage. No problem with 7 health, right? Save for the fact that a frog then jumps on me and I bounce off the side of the section the exit is on and ONTO FRIGGIN SPIKES!

I think it's time for a break. I really should stop before I strangle my controller. That's enough.

*presses X to Quickstart*

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    So, not having an axebox, this thread got me playing the PC version again.
    I just had a no-shortcut run from level one to the final boss that was nearly perfect.
    Had decent gear, got the Wadjet Eye, got into black market, killed all merchants and robbed entire marked.
    Have pretty much everything - gloves, boots, jetpack, shotty, Ankh, etc'
    Managed to get up to the third area without a sweat, killed one level before I could use the Ankh to get the Crown by a merchant. Was a stupid mistake, but I'll do without the city of gold.
    Got all the way to final boss with scepter and pretty much full gear. Two or three hearts.
    Killed myself by running under him to run away from a sticky bomb I placed. Stupid, stupid, stupid mistake.

So close.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
    edited July 2012
    That's the [strikeout]problem[/strikeout] beauty. Every death is either:
    "Oh, that was bullshit. That won't happen next time."
    or
    "Well, that was just bad luck. I'll be more careful."

I swear, the X to quickstart button is more insidious than anything else. The time just flies by, and I still haven't gotten anywhere!

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Hoo wow this game

in the Black Market
    Yeah I didn't get the achievement the first time I got it either. The next time, it popped, so just keep trying and eventually you should get it, I guess.

You can assume that.
    Hey now, don't be a dick. This game hates its players enough already; we need to stick together.

Tunnel man doesn't want your money. Instead he needs something far more insidious:
    A shotgun.

Hey, I said nothing untrue!

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to use a rope over a ledge on the Xbox version?

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    DVG wrote: »
    Is there a way to use a rope over a ledge on the Xbox version?
    Stand next to the edge and hold down when you use the rope.