As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spelunky - A Roguelike Platformer! (New Version Out!)

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    piL wrote: »
    Has it been mentioned this was made by Derek Yu, co-creator of Aquaria?

Yes. Post 16. Is Aquaria good? I remember playing the demo and yawning a lot.

Aquaria is like LttP+ underwater. It starts out slow but once you get to the first dungeon it's pretty awesome.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Selner wrote: »
    Wow, this game is a little wacky.

It wouldn't run at first, as I was getting the really dark first screen. But if I hit ESC, I could just see the screen. So I was able to walk my man to the door, and then enter it. Then I was able to see what was going on.

Im having the same problem, but when i make it to the door and through it all the tiles above the ground are black so I cant see anything. When I jump, i can see my self above the on the ground layer- but other wise everything that sits on something is black.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    EstocEstoc Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    Goff wrote: »
    You can jump on monsters heads to squash them. Totally found that out by accident.

Careful...this doesn't work for all monsters....:)

GODDAMN MANEATERS! D:

It retrospect, it LOOKED safe enough to jump on... :P

Estoc on
  • Options
    Demi GourdDemi Gourd Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You can also jump on the big spiders for damage.

Demi Gourd on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Demi Gourd wrote: »

I've found there's precisely one reasonable way to deal with the giant spiders:

Don't fucking piss it off.

Provided you do that, you can either just avoid it, or toss a bomb into its web to blow it up, for a good chunk of money and sticky bombs.

My best kill on one, however, has been me dropping a bomb at my feet, us both jumping, me bonking it on the head on the way over, and it lands on my bomb and explodes.
    Shotguns are also a good option

Garthor on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man, this game is SO good. They need to make one homebrew version for the DS.

Djiem on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Garthor wrote: »
    Demi Gourd wrote: »

I've found there's precisely one reasonable way to deal with the giant spiders:

Don't fucking piss it off.

Provided you do that, you can either just avoid it, or toss a bomb into its web to blow it up, for a good chunk of money and sticky bombs.

My best kill on one, however, has been me dropping a bomb at my feet, us both jumping, me bonking it on the head on the way over, and it lands on my bomb and explodes.
    Shotguns are also a good option

I pushed a block on one and it died. Go me.

Lemming on
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you see a tombstone marked "Ash" blow it up.

Valkun on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Djiem wrote: »

Coming soon to the DSi's virtual console, coming to NA winter 2010.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »

Coming soon to the DSi's virtual console, coming to NA winter 2010.

Are you joking or is this actually coming to the DSi?

Djiem on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sorry, I am joking.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Sorry, I am joking.

You bastard, you got my hopes up! I was already naked with a bottle of Astroglide!

Djiem on
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Spikes actually don't hurt you if you fall on them from 2 blocks max straight up hanging from a ledge. This is especially handy for the pit, vines & monkeys feature the jungle levels have, just drop down and the monkeys leap to their spiky doom. :D

I just unlocked the second shortcut, and those ice themed levels sometimes have a very interesting surprise waiting for you.
    Giant alien monster brain in a spaceship shooting psychic ring bullets.

peterdevore on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    God this is hard. Sometimes you get lucky and you find a whack of crates early.

And sometimes the spiders...oh god, the spiders.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was being attacked by three little spiders at once, and I was just running like a madman, trying to get away. I picked up a pot, threw it, missed--and the pot broke open, with another spider inside.

When it rains, it pours, I tell ya.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sometimes you get lucky and the shop keeper only has one tile to stand on, and easily blow up from underneath. Then you're pimping it up with bouncey shoes, gloves, and a shotgun. Suddenly an arrow pops out of a jar.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bursar wrote: »
    I was being attacked by three little spiders at once, and I was just running like a madman, trying to get away. I picked up a pot, threw it, missed--and the pot broke open, with another spider inside.

When it rains, it pours, I tell ya.

They plan that stuff.

D:

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sometimes, despite the silly/cartoony sprites, this game is so badass.

Grab a Idol, start running, go through a hole, land on a spider, bounce away.

The boulder starts coming after me, crushing the big spider and angry shopkeeper in it's way.

I panic, throw a rope, and just as the boulder is about to crush me, jump up, and grab it.

'Cource, I died before the end of the level, but damn.

Verr on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I never buy anything in this game.
    I always attempt to steal it all, though.

Note the "attempt".

Djiem on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Food wrote: »
    I had an arrow trap spawn right next to the exit. There was a ghost coming after me. As I gazed into the eyes of the beautiful woman cradled in my arms, I knew what I had to do.

Bitch took one for the team.

Beautiful women can survive more arrows than you can! I often use them to kill enemies if I can't find somewhere safe to drop them.

Also: Everyone should notice that you can walk past spikes without being hurt, they're only dangerous if you fall on them.

They can actually die from things that aren't instant death? The only time I've had ladies die was from spikes and boulders.

Peewi on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    I had an arrow trap spawn right next to the exit. There was a ghost coming after me. As I gazed into the eyes of the beautiful woman cradled in my arms, I knew what I had to do.

Beautiful women can survive more arrows than you can! I often use them to kill enemies if I can't find somewhere safe to drop them.

Also: Everyone should notice that you can walk past spikes without being hurt, they're only dangerous if you fall on them.

They can actually die from things that aren't instant death? The only time I've had ladies die was from spikes and boulders.

Funny story, a lady on the other side of a block that gets pushed off the ledge then the block lands on her....that kills them too.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Peewi wrote: »

I set a woman down to set a bomb, and then she decides to frantically run around. I tried to grab her, but it was too late so I ran back to safety and she died in the blast. I didn't even know they could die at that point. Especially since I believe her eyes looked open when I picked her up...

:|

Clevinger on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009

Note the "attempt".

After I learned how great capes are, I pretty much do this too.

Although I did once have a pimp go berserk because I used a bomb too close to him, even though there was still an entire wall between me and him after it exploded. He shot his whore and then jumped into a maneating plant.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hatethisgame.jpg

Why. He isn't even on the spikes! :(

zanmatto on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »

Note the "attempt".

After I learned how great capes are, I pretty much do this too.

Although I did once have a pimp go berserk because I used a bomb too close to him, even though there was still an entire wall between me and him after it exploded. He shot his whore and then jumped into a maneating plant.

He must have played GTA4 too much.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Made it to the fourth area, and then fell into a pit of lava.

jothki on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The gun shop owners are the most trusting people on the planet.
    Yes, that's a loaded shotgun on the floor. Why do you--BLAM

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    One time I accidentally whipped a kissing woman. The shopkeeper said "Only I get to do that!" and killed me.

D:

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    Uh... huh...

18858670pc7.jpg

Is it just me or are there like, no idols or girls in the ice levels? Nor does the dig shortcut guy show up for post-12?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Uh... huh...

18858670pc7.jpg

Is it just me or are there like, no idols or girls in the ice levels? Nor does the dig shortcut guy show up for post-12?

I've seen a couple of idols and a single girl in the ice levels. I didn't get to grab any of the idols, so I don't know what the trap is.

Peewi on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just want hax. I have been unable to get past level 8.. keep dieing :P

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aroduc, you ruin everything, Goddamniit

piL on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    piL wrote: »
    Aroduc, you ruin everything, Goddamniit

What's your damage? It's just some random enemy that drops a couple gems when you kill it. Although you can keep whipping it and it'll endlessly spew out blood.

And the boss is on floor 16, that's why there's no shortcut after the 9 one. Doesn't seem hard at all, but I've died on it three times from being crushed, running headlong into a minion, and forgetting to throw a bomb.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    God dammit. I finally got to 13,
    then a giant mummy spit bees at me and I died.

Lemming on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man I am so bad at this game... 30 attempts, 30 deaths, not one past level 3... :(

Aistan on
  • Options
    KKprofitKKprofit Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

You can press F2 to go into the level editor. Create a level full of nothing but gold and crates. Also, an exit. This way you can go into level 2 fully stocked. its not hax, but it works.

KKprofit on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    KKprofit wrote: »

You can press F2 to go into the level editor. Create a level full of nothing but gold and crates. Also, an exit. This way you can go into level 2 fully stocked. its not hax, but it works.

I've figured out that A and S switches between things, left click adds the selected thing and right click deletes, but how do you get to play your level? I've place both an entrance and exit.

EDIT: Nevermind, it says in the readme.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    FUUUUUUUUUUUCK

I killed the final boss then died :(

Lemming on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lemming wrote: »
    FUUUUUUUUUUUCK

I killed the final boss then died :(

Just like Angband.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lemming wrote: »
    God dammit. I finally got to 13,
    then a giant mummy spit bees at me and I died.

This is one of those rare times that reading a spoiler has made me happy. Finding that out myself would've put me over the edge.

Henroid on