As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Persona / SMT discussion: Pierce the Heavens with your Freikugel

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
If you look over the past, oh, five pages of the thread, you'll likely notice we're on a Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne kick at the moment.

427px-SMT3_front_cover.jpg

So if you have a copy, feel free to help remake/destroy the world.

We've got a few months to enjoy it before Raiho & co arrive.

devil_summoner_2_large.jpg
IRVINE, CALIFORNIA — JANUARY 27, 2009 — Atlus U.S.A., Inc. today announced that Shin Megami Tensei®: Devil Summoner 2™: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon, a new chapter in the stunningly original action RPG series for PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, is making its way to North America on May 12th. Improved over its predecessor in every way, Devil Summoner 2 is an action RPG breath of fresh air, with a deep, easy-to-control combat system, nearly two hundred demons to negotiate with, collect, and fuse, and a variety of strategies to employ and master. Experience a 1920’s Tokyo bustling with cases to solve, criminals to bring to justice, and the threat of the mysterious King Abaddon looming on the horizon.

For a limited time, and out of an exceptionally small fixed number of units, North American gamers will have even more reason to pick up the game that raced to the top of the Japanese game sales charts upon its release. Each and every launch copy of Devil Summoner 2 will feature a rare Raiho plushie doll (not available for sale separately). Only a small amount of these rare bundles will be assembled, and each package will be numbered to ensure its rarity and collectible value. Should there be future print runs of the game, they will ship without the Raiho collectible. Act before they're gone!

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon is scheduled to negotiate its way into retailers on May 12, 2009 with an MSRP of $39.99. Each and every copy of the game’s limited quantity launch will ship with a rare Raiho collectible plushie.

###

About Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha versus King Abaddon:
A new threat to Japan's Capital calls for the return of its case-solving, tube-slinging Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha the 14th. When a woman walks into the Narumi Detective Agency and asks to find a man, Raidou's boss is reluctant to accept, but soon it's clear there's more to the case than it seems on the surface. It isn't long before Raidou is on the trail of crooked gamblers, masked ninja, and strange insects... a trail leading him inexorably to the mysterious King Abaddon.

Key Features
• Massively upgraded battle system— Advancements to the battle mechanics include a MAG balancing system, dodge and hide abilities, and the ability to command two demons in combat. Use the retooled Weapon Alchemy system to create new swords with unique special attacks.
• Deeper demon integration— Demon negotiation returns with more than twice the number of demons to attempt to recruit to your side. Create more powerful demons through fusion and skill transfer. Control two demons in battle and choose from more tactical options.
• Phenomenal creative team— The rich environment of this Taisho-era Japan comes to life with the character designs of Kazuma Kaneko and the musical score of Shoji Meguro.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha versus King Abaddon has not yet been rated by the ESRB.

###

About Atlus U.S.A., Inc.
Located in Irvine, California and founded in 1991, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. is renowned for its proud tradition of publishing exceptional role-playing games with strong niche appeal. The Atlus library of critically acclaimed video games includes Odin Sphere, Trauma Center series, and the award-winning Shin Megami Tensei series. For more information, visit http://www.atlus.com.

For breaking news, special promotions, insider info, and more, visit http://www.atlus.com/faithful to join the ranks of the Atlus Faithful!

Raidou's back.

army.jpg

And without a doubt, he's bringing friends.

According to info from a magazine called GameWave, a remake/port of Persona 1 should be headed to the PSP on April 30th in Japan.

c/o Siliconera:

gw.jpg

Time once again for positive thinking, because if any game in the Persona series needs an update, it's this one:

personaj2.jpg

Unless of course you miss this:

megaten-title11.png

Persona_4_-_Japanese_Boxart.JPG

Persona 4 is the newest entry in the long-running Persona series, which is itself a side-story of the even longer running Megami Tensei series.

What sets P4 apart from its predecessors is that rather than taking place in the big city, Persona 4 takes place in the quiet little town of Inaba.

As a transfer student, you may find yourself somewhat overwhelmed by the wide variety of places to go and things to do.

You're on your own there.

However, there is one thing comrade can assist you with.

rasputin3.jpg
From the best-selling author of critically acclaimed books such as "A Lady Killer's Guide to Gekkoukan" and
"Fine Dining in Feudal Japan On A 5-Yen Budget", comes

The Lady-Killer's Guide To Inaba©

Much like all transfer students with a striking appearance and the ability to call forth an army of demons, you may find yourself assaulted by the female populace with no earthly clue of how to determine a favorite.

Let comrade Rasputin be your guide, yes?

rasputin.png

Of course, those you will be operating with in battle should be your utmost priority, both in terms of strategic and easily accessible value, so it's only natural we begin with them.

Chie Satonaka
chie1.jpg

Arcana: Chariot

Persona: Tomoe Gozen

Element: Ice

Weakness: Fire

Hobby: Martial arts, kung-fu cinema

Dislikes: Bullying

Friendship Appeal: High

Relationship Appeal: Below Average

The type of girl you would generally hang out with, not so much date, but you couldn't find a more loyal ally in battle.

Besides, she kicks enemies into the stratosphere for you.

Yukiko Amagi
yuki1.jpg

Arcana: Priestess

Persona: Konohaya Sakuya

Element: Fire

Weakness: Ice

Hobby: Cooking(badly), laughter

Dislikes: Responsibility, bad jokes

Friendship Appeal: Moderate

Relationship Appeal: Above average

One can always count on Yukiko to brighten up a situation. As a bonus, she is also a reliable study date, and you know her employment future is secure. Just be prepared to order out for dinner constantly.

Rise 'Risette' Kujikawa

rise1.jpg

Arcana: Lovers

Persona: Himeko

Hobby: Making tofu, performing

Dislikes: Unwanted attention

Relationship Appeal: Mandatory

You do not pursue a relationship with Rise. Rise pursues one with you.
The question is whether or not you return these affections.
Turning her down won't make you a bad person, but you will be off to a fine start.

[October Spoilers]
You've been warned.
Naoto 'Detective Prince' Shirogane

naoto1.jpg

Arcana: Fortune

Persona: Sukuna-Hikona

Element: Almighty

Weakness: None

Hobby: Investigation

Dislikes: Belittlement

Friendship Appeal: High

Relationship Appeal: Difficult

An uncommon potential relationship, to be sure, but you will certainly have a bright one on your hands, and maturity is hardly an undesirable trait.

You certainly won't be fearing for home security.

[End October Spoiler]

Ai Ebihara

ai1.jpg

Arcana: Moon

Hobby: Deliquency, sports management

Dislikes: Unappealing appearances, cowardice

Relationship Appeal: High

Appearances can be deceiving, comrade. Something of a stuck-up one, but persist, and you may see beyond the shroud.

Yumi Ozawa

yumi1.jpg

Arcana: Sun

Hobby: Performance, expression

Dislikes: Lack of devotion

Friendship Appeal: Above average

Relationship Appeal: Moderate

I suppose you could call this one a 'drama queen', da? Still, you could do worse.
I expect she would be quite loyal, if nothing else.

(Alternately: )

Ayane

ayane1.jpg

Arcana: Sun

Hobby: Music

Dislikes: ?

Friendship Appeal: ?

Relationship Appeal: ?

My records on this one are incomplete, as such, outside contributions are welcome.
Stay tuned.

(What can I say, I favor the theater above all.)

Margaret

margaret1.jpg

Arcana: Empress

Persona: All

Element: All

Weakness: None

Hobby: Compendium collection

Dislikes: Uninteresting Persona, short-haired competition

Friendship Appeal: Low

Relationship Appeal: High

This is a dangerous one. If given the opportunity for a relationship, I doubt it would be optional.

If you upset a woman like this, she is liable to destroy an entire continent as retaliation.

It is unwise to turn against one who collects demons for fun.

That is all the information I have for the moment. Perhaps time will unveil new faces who I could not gather adequate data of.

Until then, you may find this archived material useful.

Now then, I have other business to attend to. I should not keep Anastasia waiting.

Never fear, I'll be back for the sequel.

art1.jpg

Let's positive posting, as they say.

As always, you're also encouraged to discuss other games in the SMT series, particularly ones involving charismatic dark summoners.

lpt.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lamia is wonderfulness. Even better than last time.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Music girl scares me. Did anybody choose her path?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My save is at 3/20, so I intend on seeing the normal ending, reloading and then going for the true ending in P4 tonight. Considering how easy the last three bosses were, I hope the real end-game bosses are harder.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I got it up to five or six.

Now my expression's maxed out, so I'm thinking about just ditching it. Part of me says that I should finish it since I'd choose the other one on a replay and will never have this opportunity again. Most of me says that there are beef bowls more worth my time.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I did. Mostly because I didn't even know there was a drama option, and I didn't know who the people that would be in them would be. If I saw the two pictures though I'd most assuredly pick drama over music any day of the week. Ayane is just ... weird. I guess she's not a bad person, just shy and unsure of herself. But, jesus she looks like she's 10 years old.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008

I did. Mostly because I didn't even know there was a drama option, and I didn't know who the people that would be in them would be. If I saw the two pictures though I'd most assuredly pick drama over music any day of the week. Ayane is just ... weird. I guess she's not a bad person, just shy and unsure of herself. But, jesus she looks like she's 10 years old.

She knows it, too.
    I took her to the festival to build up her link, and she kept getting depressed because all the kiosk owners thought she was in grammar school.

She revealed that people call her apple-headed, also.

She's a pretty nice kid, but with the way she looks, pursuing a relationship with her should set off a Klaxon in the nearest law enforcement station.

Rust on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Not even the "Let's Positive Thinking" banner?

OP Appeal: Moderate

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It would've broken the theme.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Fuck your theme

Elendil on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2008
    Rust wrote: »

She knows it, too.
    I took her to the festival to build up her link, and she kept getting depressed because all the kiosk owners thought she was in grammar school.

She's a pretty nice kid, but with the way she looks, pursuing a relationship with her should set off a Klaxon in the nearest law enforcement station.

Ayane's just horrible all around. Her link is:
    "I'm bad at the trombone."
    "The lead trombonist got injured! Now I have to play the solo... but I suck."
    "Oh, he got better... but I wanted to play the solo."
    "The end."

Aroduc on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    how good is the mmo should i play it is the beta still open

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Phonehand wrote: »

It's fun, and it just went to open beta.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »

She knows it, too.

"The end."

Man you could do that with any of the S. Links.

I really don't get the vitriol towards a lot of characters in this game, since most of them seem really well-rounded compared to some that I've seen in other high-budget titles (Persona 3 included) and their personalities wind up balancing out their negative traits. I mean, getting pissed off at the Moon link in P3 was perfectly understandable. But people like Naoki and Ayane (and TEDDIE) in this? No clue.

At least I don't hear any grumbling about Nanako.

Rust on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

will...

will you play with me

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The Moon link rapidly became one of my favorites.

will...

will you play with me

Your best bet is to check the thread in the MMO forum and go through the tutorial first. I just remade my character, but I'm not going to get thoroughly into it until I'm done with P4(which should be soon).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Moon link rapidly became one of my favorites.

Sweet, I plan on concentrating on it once I'm back into the second semester. Just had the "date" with her at the summer festival.

Shamus on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hell yes, the last day of summer homework bumped me up to knowledge 5. No more studying for me. The house shall now be overflowing with paper cranes so I can do the tutoring job.

Gilder on
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The November dungeon music is awesome. Also, on Naoto (October Spoilers):
    So now we know what Katsuya would have been like if he was a high school girl.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So wait... there's no SMT megathread any more? My little brother showed up today and (glee and glory!) gave me my Christmas present - a copy of Nocturne! I can't WAIT to tear into this bad boy.

Do we just keep on posting in that 100+ page thread for non-P4 SMT gaming?

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Every thread by cj about SMT is a general SMT thread.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Pretty much, yeah. SMT discussion's always welcome. Just expect P4 to be dominant for a while. Until Devil Summoner 4 comes out.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    Fuck your theme
    It bears repeating.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm pretty sure it's an unwritten law that any topic on a SMT game by cj iwakura is the current SMT megathread.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2008

She knows it, too.

"The end."

The thing being that from rank 1 to rank 9, all you're doing is saying "hey bitch, keep practicing."

And that's it.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gilder wrote: »
    Hell yes, the last day of summer homework bumped me up to knowledge 5. No more studying for me. The house shall now be overflowing with paper cranes so I can do the tutoring job.

Same here. 8-)

Except I'll be translating for expression to continue the Justice S-Link.

Shamus on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

She knows it, too.

"The end."

The thing being that from rank 1 to rank 9, all you're doing is saying "hey bitch, keep practicing."

And that's it.
    The Sun Link in general fucking sucks. All you do for Yumi in ranks 1-9 is go "Bad things happen to everyone, you know" while she whines at you.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Shamus wrote: »

Same here. 8-)

Except I'll be translating for expression to continue the Justice S-Link.

See, I'm planning to use the tutoring job to increase expression because it's also a link I think? I probably won't be able to finish Justice this playthrough though.

Now my problem is diligence. It's only rank 3 and has been for like 3 months. I just can't find a good way to raise it because I don't want to do the sports club when I could be raising teammates. I guess I'll just fold envelopes or something when I finish devil and don't have tutoring.

Gilder on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Excellent. I shall return when Nocturne has rouged my cheeks and pained my bottom.

Also - I definitely think that's one of your better OPs, CJ. Makes me wish I wasn't putting P4 aside for old-school(er) post-apocalyptic Tokyo.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Chance wrote: »

Excellent. I shall return when Nocturne has rouged my cheeks and pained my bottom.

So we'll be seeing you when you reach the Matador.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Updated by popular demand. Let it never be said that Rasputin doesn't have a heart.

And I endorse playing Nocturne before anything, even P4.

Particularly because if you can beat Nocturne, any SMT game will be a breeze.

Except for Digital Devil Saga, that is.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    She does raise Expression and Understanding/Diligence. <3 Sun

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hah I finally cleared the first dungeon, thanks to my good buddy Jack Frost. Having two people casting Mabufu really brings down her health, I even managed to take her down before the prince died
    Please tell me that this is the hardest one, and the rest won't take all the way up to two days before fog.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Hah I finally cleared the first dungeon, thanks to my good buddy Jack Frost. Having two people casting Mabufu really brings down her health, I even managed to take her down before the prince died
    Please tell me that this is the hardest one, and the rest won't take all the way up to two days before fog.

The first dungeon is probably the hardest, on Normal mode it was the only place I couldn't clear in a single day. Later on you have more resources and options, including ways to regain SP, so the first one is usually the big nasty.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Chance wrote: »

So we'll be seeing you when you reach the Matador.

The Matador separates the men from the boys, and then kills them both.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    nomenome Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Besides, she HAS THE GODHAND.
    Fixed Chie's profile for you.

nome on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2008
    Matador Protip: despite what you may think from the first time you fight him, the Matador is not a boss battle you're scripted to lose.

A duck! on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Whao, alright. Persona 3.

Chihiro is coming on way too fast.

How do I manage a "just friends" status?

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Updated by popular demand. Let it never be said that Rasputin doesn't have a heart.

Yay! But, to be perfectly honest, I only bitch because I love.

Also, I'm assuming Yumi's social link gets much better because halfway through each, Chie >> Yumi for both dating and friendship.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Whao, alright. Persona 3.

Chihiro is coming on way too fast.

How do I manage a "just friends" status?

You don't.

There's no split links in P3. You're just going to have to bang all of the girls if you want to max the links.

IE, once you hit 'girlfriend status' max them ASAP so they don't get bitchy and go into Reverse.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

And I endorse playing Nocturne before anything, even P4.

Particularly because if you can beat Nocturne, any SMT game will be a breeze.

Except for Digital Devil Saga, that is.

You and your statements about DDS's difficulty. They do not cease! Demi-Fiend was the only difficult boss!

Zephyr_Fate on