As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Zune 30 died

th3thirdmanth3thirdman Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
my zune 30 froze at 12:00 am Pst and hung on the load screen. I have found about 150 posts on other forums. Just trying to see if anyone has a fix.

th3thirdman on

• RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    my zune 30 froze at 12:00 am Pst and hung on the load screen. I have found about 150 posts on other forums. Just trying to see if anyone has a fix.

I just read about this a few min ago.. No fix yet, as MS support isn't open yet. It seems to be VERY widespread, and getting wide spreader.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    1ddqd on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Apparently as of 2 am last night, every single 30 gb version of the Zune died. according to two Different sources

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As of 2am, every Zune is dead. Good job Microsoft.

I don't have one, but if I did, I'd want my money back.

Sol Invictus on
  • TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sorry about the Zune, but I want to say
    That is high-larious!
    New YT9K bug, jeez :lol:
    I have the 80 gig, let's see how it fares.

There's a fix:

"Your zune will need a "hard reset."

To do this, use a small screwdriver to pop off the plastic shielding where the zune cable plugs into and remove the two screws on either side of the plug. Next pop the cover off and locate the battery plug at the top left corner of the zune, using your screw driver, pop the cable connection half way off, and do this to the other plug on the right side. Wait 3 seconds, then push down the right connector and then the left battery connecter. Your zune should start up immediately. Press the backing of the zune down (make sure headphone jack is aligned) and put the screws and cover back in place.

It's an easy process but if you're unsure don't attempt it if you think you'll screw it or something. :)"

Not pretty, but it might help those of you who have this problem.
    Don't do this if you want to keep your warranty?

EDIT: Yeah, reading more into it...
    Even if you open it up and solve it, on connection with the PC, it'll brick again.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    It's because of a bad firmware update. You can probably just wait a little bit and MS should issue a corrected firmware update.

The player is physically fine and as stated, this is happening to everyone, and as stated, there is a fix at the hardware level but I'd put that off until MS does something about fixing the firmware situation.

It's also possible that if you just wait until tomorrow to do the hard reset and re-connect it to a PC that you'll be fine, popular suspicion is that this is related to today being the 366 day of the year. That shouldn't be a problem tomorrow.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, as with any advice I'd give for ipod users (I'm an ipod user!), don't open it. Microsoft will deal with the issue when their tech support comes back online and issues an emergency patch. It's not really a hardware issue so there's no reason to destroy your warranty over it.

Sol Invictus on
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    We're talking about this in the Zune thread in Moe's, btw, if you want some more info.

Ninja edit: linky

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    According to the support page for the Zune, Microsoft is working on a fix. Sounds like the best thing to do is to just wait it out until a fix is released.

Slicer on
  • finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I was able to fix mine by opening it up and disconnecting the battery, but my warranty is out so I didn't mind. Just don't connect it back to the computer so the time doesn't update again. I don't exactly trust Microsoft on fixing this quickly...

finalflight89 on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Also this only effects Zune 30s.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    No I just got a new charger cble for my 1st generation 30gb brown zune...I guess I just won't do the update. Even though I haven't updated it in about a year

Dixon on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dixon wrote: »
    No I just got a new charger cble for my 1st generation 30gb brown zune...I guess I just won't do the update. Even though I haven't updated it in about a year
    Quite likely if you wait a couple days it won't be an issue.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited December 2008
    Depending on the nature of the bug, an unpatched Zune that doesn't get the broken firmware update until tomorrow might not ever experience this issue.

Pheezer on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    By the way, we have three Zune 30s here.

This really is the silliest thing I've ever experienced in my life.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Pheezer wrote: »
    Depending on the nature of the bug, an unpatched Zune that doesn't get the broken firmware update until tomorrow might not ever experience this issue.

That's why mine has stayed blissfully out of battery all day today.

Give it a few days and Microsoft will have a fix.

I honestly don't understand why people believe that electronics should work 100% of the time without issues. Our distribution methods for firmware and software demand that there will be bugs, and that the bugs will be fixed. I mean, we're seeing our games patched on day 1 and our devices continually receiving updates. This is sooooo much better than 10 years ago when a quick patch wasn't an option.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
    edited December 2008
    I honestly don't understand why people believe that electronics should work 100% of the time without issues. Our distribution methods for firmware and software demand that there will be bugs, and that the bugs will be fixed. I mean, we're seeing our games patched on day 1 and our devices continually receiving updates. This is sooooo much better than 10 years ago when a quick patch wasn't an option.

This is a highly debatable point and unfortunately, I'm not interested in moderating that debate in H/A. It would be good sauce to start a thread with in G&T or D&D, though.

Pheezer on
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, let's not go there. I have a terrible track record for debates in H/A.

Bottom line is that there will be a fix, maybe even tomorrow morning.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
    edited December 2008
    It'll be awesome to travel to Jersey tonight with so much musi-

Oh, wait.

:/

Drez on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That's what you get for getting music digitally

Me? I'll be jamming to Best of Rock Ballads volume 6 thank you very much.

noir_blood on
    edited December 2008
    Drez wrote: »

Oh, wait.

Radio? Mix CD? Are you going with people? Have them each make 1 CD for the ride. Not with people? Go get that new CD you've been thinking of buying and listen the crap out of it.

I dunno. This is a really strange problem, but it's not like we can't get music the old fashioned way for a night.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bottom line is that there will be a fix, maybe even tomorrow morning.

Entirely possible that the (short-term) fix will be tomorrow's date iteself. Once the calendar rolls over to something less leap-year-ish, it might just start working again.

My Zune 30 with the 3.1 firmware is working fine though, so not everyone got hit.

darkgrue on
    edited December 2008
    Drez wrote: »

Oh, wait.

Radio? Mix CD? Are you going with people? Have them each make 1 CD for the ride. Not with people? Go get that new CD you've been thinking of buying and listen the crap out of it.

I dunno. This is a really strange problem, but it's not like we can't get music the old fashioned way for a night.

I have a Zune Pass subscription. And about four hours of travel via public transportation. And it's New Years Eve. I don't think it's unreasonable to be upset by this.

Drez on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just hum your favorite songs.

noir_blood on
    edited December 2008
    http://forums.zune.net/412486/ShowPost.aspx
    Today 5:43 PM

Official response for Zune 30 Freezing Issue (Zune 30gb stuck at reboot screen)

Early this morning we were alerted by our customers that there was a widespread issue affecting our 2006 model Zune 30GB devices (a large number of which are still actively being used). The technical team jumped on the problem immediately and isolated the issue: a bug in the internal clock driver related to the way the device handles a leap year. The issue should be resolved over the next 24 hours as the time change moves to January 1, 2009. We expect the internal clock on the Zune 30GB devices will automatically reset tomorrow (noon, GMT). By tomorrow you should allow the battery to fully run out of power before the unit can restart successfully then simply ensure that your device is recharged, then turn it back on. If you’re a Zune Pass subscriber, you may need to sync your device with your PC to refresh the rights to the subscription content you have downloaded to your device.

Customers can continue to stay informed via the support page on zune.net (zune.net/support).

We know this has been a big inconvenience to our customers and we are sorry for that, and want to thank them for their patience.

Q: Why is this issue isolated to the Zune 30 device?
    It is a bug in a driver for a part that is only used in the Zune 30 device.

Q: What fixes or patches are you putting in place to resolve this situation?
    This situation should remedy itself over the next 24 hours as the time flips to January 1st.

Q: What’s the timeline on a fix?
    The issue Zune 30GB customers are experiencing today will self resolve as time changes to January 1.

Q: Why did this occur at precisely 12:01 a.m. on December 31, 2008?
    There is a bug in the internal clock driver causing the 30GB device to improperly handle the last day of a leap year.

Q: What is Zune doing to fix this issue?
    The issue should resolve itself.

Q: Are you sure that this won’t happen to all 80, 120 or other flash devices?
    This issue is related to a part that is only used in Zune 30 devices.

Q: How many 30GB Zune devices are affected?
    All 30GB devices are potentially affected.

Q: Will you update the firmware before the next leap year (2012)?
    Yes.

Matt Akers
    Zune Product Team

Drez on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gizmodo did have a hardware fix that basically involved resetting your Zune manually. Not a great idea but if you absolutely must have it tonight.....though with the date being fucked up I wouldn't expect Zune Pass to work.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited December 2008
    Man, that's kind of balls. But, this one's solved.

Pheezer on
This discussion has been closed.