[WoW] Happy new [CHAT]!

2456763

Posts

  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've seen one rare in Outland so far, and he killed me with about 800hp left. :x I should have eaten to 100% beforehand, but there was an equivalently-levelled Orc DK in the area and I knew he was going to take him if I didn't attack ASAP.

    Oh well, the hunt continues

    SithDrummer on
    It's an easy game to hate
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As far as WOTLK rares go, I've only seen two (and the corpse of the TLPD). I killed Vyragosa (blue dragon in Storm Peaks that the TLPD shares the spawn for), and just missed out killing a massive undead giant in Icecrown (he was walking through a lot of undead, and I thought the safest place to pull him was further back than where the other guy pulled him).

    Nobody on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    For the conversation in previous thread about speaking Draconic...

    It seems to be a Gnome Rogue thing. I enjoy it... and I think that the entire concept of Language needs to be brought over from Everquest (among other things), allowing the learning of languages from immersion and listening to others speak it. It wouldn't be as interesting or fun as EQ's since EQ had tons more races and languages...

    GPIA7R on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's funny how many rare spawns I've come across in the old world these days. So many I never knew existed. And then it's depressing when they're killed and drop nothing of relevance.

    SteevL on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    End wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »
    Isn't Wintergrasp on the 2-hour timer to give people time to do the raid boss?
    Speaking of which, what happens if you're in there when Wintergrasp switches hands?

    That, and to not kill battlegrounds. ;-)

    I am still clean on battlegrounds. I haven't done a single BG since before Wrath came out, and I am happier for it.

    Seg on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    SteevL wrote: »
    It's funny how many rare spawns I've come across in the old world these days. So many I never knew existed. And then it's depressing when they're killed and drop nothing of relevance.
    There are a hell of a lot in the old world.

    SithDrummer on
    It's an easy game to hate
  • gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ashzsara was a fave place of mine to grab Rare Elites in Vanilla WoW, that zone had sooo many.

    gigawatt666 on
    BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There are more rares in The Barrens than in all of Outland.

    SithDrummer on
    It's an easy game to hate
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Those 'lock T8 sets sure are awesome, I'm loving the Putress theme.

    815165 on
  • MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    Those 'lock T8 sets sure are awesome, I'm loving the Putress theme.

    Yeah, that headpiece looks sweet.

    Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    While on discussion of rarespawns...

    Broken Tooth

    The Four Demons

    Fuck you and your Time Lost Proto Drake..

    CJTheran on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Metacortex wrote: »
    815165 wrote: »
    Those 'lock T8 sets sure are awesome, I'm loving the Putress theme.

    Yeah, that headpiece looks sweet.

    Looks like someone's been watching Guillermo del Toro movies.

    xzzy on
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I sold the blue item that dropped off the time-lost proto drake for 150g.

    Weee!

    Dadouw on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I heard of this Phasing thing they do now in WotLK, wherein certain NPCs don't appear or areas look different or something depending on what stage of a quest you're on or whatever. A question: how exactly does that work? Wouldn't that mean player A could be stuck on an obstacle (a blockade, say) that doesn't appear for player B because he finished some requisite quest?

    Ledneh on
    Kadith wrote: »
    how do i get off [the bus], do i just start screaming
    well that'll get me off at least.
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »
    I heard of this Phasing thing they do now in WotLK, wherein certain NPCs don't appear or areas look different or something depending on what stage of a quest you're on or whatever. A question: how exactly does that work? Wouldn't that mean player A could be stuck on an obstacle (a blockade, say) that doesn't appear for player B because he finished some requisite quest?

    Player A and Player B would be completely unaware of each other. So you could collide with a wall that goes away in a later quest, but the other player would see neither you or the wall, and fly straight through it, because that player is in a later stage.

    End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpgsteam~tinythumb.png
  • lazegamerlazegamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That can absolutely happen. It's akin to the sunwell daily in Blade's Edge where you would activate an item that would put a buff on you so that you could see special items and monsters in an area.

    Only, you don't see the buff, and there may be multiple phases for a given area. If you're in a party with someone who is on a different stage, you'll see them near you on the minimap but you won't be able to see them or interact with them in game while you're there.

    It's really just a different take on instancing. Adds cool elements where you can change your surroundings, but hurts the persistent feel of the game. Not as bad as Age of Conan, though.

    lazegamer on
    Surprise.
    - Spy
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is Phasing used much in any mundane ways? I started off after resubbing yesterday in Borean Tundra, and ended up in a quest helping the Kirin Tor abduct and torture a dude. When I went up to torture him, he was of course sitting there. If I had gone up and looked BEFORE doing that quest, would he have been there?

    I guess what I'm asking is, is phasing at all subtle (and therefore risks me getting separated from my mates), or is it very very obvious when used?

    Ledneh on
    Kadith wrote: »
    how do i get off [the bus], do i just start screaming
    well that'll get me off at least.
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I heard in an interview on Legendary Thread that the only places it really happens is in Icecrown, Storm Peaks, and Dragonblight.

    And, of course, in the Death Knight starting area.

    SteevL on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Sometimes it can be subtle. For example, in a Horde town located in the Dragonblight, Agmar's Hammer, you can choose to complete a series of quests that culminate in the rescue of the leader of the Taunka (The northrend tauren or whatever), who then stays within the town. I don't believe he appears there before then.


    He isn't involved in anything important save for one quest from that point on, so assuming that it is phased, it does not even matter.

    Nerdgasmic on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Is Phasing used much in any mundane ways? I started off after resubbing yesterday in Borean Tundra, and ended up in a quest helping the Kirin Tor abduct and torture a dude. When I went up to torture him, he was of course sitting there. If I had gone up and looked BEFORE doing that quest, would he have been there?

    I guess what I'm asking is, is phasing at all subtle (and therefore risks me getting separated from my mates), or is it very very obvious when used?

    It's usually pretty obvious. I don't think they actually started using it much until Storm Peaks and Icecrown, plus the bit with the wrathgate (but that was added late in beta).

    End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpgsteam~tinythumb.png
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Sometimes it can be subtle. For example, in a Horde town located in the Dragonblight, Agmar's Hammer, you can choose to complete a series of quests that culminate in the rescue of the leader of the Taunka (The northrend tauren or whatever), who then stays within the town. I don't believe he appears there before then.

    Making npcs visible/invisible isn't anything new though. What's new is the changing/adding/removing of entire buildings.

    End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpgsteam~tinythumb.png
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    End wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Sometimes it can be subtle. For example, in a Horde town located in the Dragonblight, Agmar's Hammer, you can choose to complete a series of quests that culminate in the rescue of the leader of the Taunka (The northrend tauren or whatever), who then stays within the town. I don't believe he appears there before then.

    Making npcs visible/invisible isn't anything new though. What's new is the changing/adding/removing of entire buildings.

    Oh, did Ledneh actually mean the types of phasing that entirely change areas? Sorry, my mistake.

    Nerdgasmic on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think he meant both, but I think when Blizzard talks about phasing, Blizzard is specifically talking about changing entire areas, since that's the new and shiney part.

    End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpgsteam~tinythumb.png
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    End wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Sometimes it can be subtle. For example, in a Horde town located in the Dragonblight, Agmar's Hammer, you can choose to complete a series of quests that culminate in the rescue of the leader of the Taunka (The northrend tauren or whatever), who then stays within the town. I don't believe he appears there before then.

    Making npcs visible/invisible isn't anything new though.
    Where in pre-WotLK did they have NPCs be absent or present depending on which quests you'd completed, and visible to you but not to others who hadn't done it?

    SabreMau on
  • JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wren wrote:
    reminds me of that one wow music video

    you know the one (I don't)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqO7zEWu0W0

    A classic. I think the biggest PoM-Pyroblast crit that I saw was 1598.

    Ah, the years.

    Joeslop on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    SabreMau wrote: »
    End wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Sometimes it can be subtle. For example, in a Horde town located in the Dragonblight, Agmar's Hammer, you can choose to complete a series of quests that culminate in the rescue of the leader of the Taunka (The northrend tauren or whatever), who then stays within the town. I don't believe he appears there before then.

    Making npcs visible/invisible isn't anything new though.
    Where in pre-WotLK did they have NPCs be absent or present depending on which quests you'd completed, and visible to you but not to others who hadn't done it?

    I don't think they tied permanent visibility to quest completion until now, but there was a quest on the border of blasted lands/swamp of sorrows that upon completion would reveal another npc. I think it was temporary though, which doesn't make it -quite- as good as what we have now.

    Blizzard has been able to show/hide npcs from players for a while now, but the available conditions appear to have expanded. Doing that to buildings is a completely new, so far as I know.

    End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpgsteam~tinythumb.png
  • AntishowAntishow Registered User
    edited December 2008
    I finally got my christmas bonus today, and will be surprising my girlfriend with a shiny new Macbook. This was supposed to be a christmas present of course, but instead I got her a Burning Crusade battle chest.

    Now unfortunately, we won't be at home tonight or tomorrow, so I won't be able to get my hands on our install discs. I could download it, but I would rather not have to deal with the wait, so my plan is to pick up WotLK (since she needs it anyway) and hope that it will come with a vanilla installer. Can anyone confirm this?

    Antishow on
  • JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    End wrote: »
    SabreMau wrote: »
    End wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Sometimes it can be subtle. For example, in a Horde town located in the Dragonblight, Agmar's Hammer, you can choose to complete a series of quests that culminate in the rescue of the leader of the Taunka (The northrend tauren or whatever), who then stays within the town. I don't believe he appears there before then.

    Making npcs visible/invisible isn't anything new though.
    Where in pre-WotLK did they have NPCs be absent or present depending on which quests you'd completed, and visible to you but not to others who hadn't done it?

    I don't think they tied permanent visibility to quest completion until now, but there was a quest on the border of blasted lands/swamp of sorrows that upon completion would reveal another npc. I think it was temporary though, which doesn't make it -quite- as good as what we have now.

    Blizzard has been able to show/hide npcs from players for a while now, but the available conditions appear to have expanded. Doing that to buildings is a completely new, so far as I know.

    Case in point, Spirit Healers and some other ghosts. Can only be seen while dead; I would assume this whole phasing thing is just an upgrade of that technology.

    Joeslop on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, the ghost quest-giver in Blackrock comes to mind.

    SithDrummer on
    It's an easy game to hate
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Antishow wrote: »
    I finally got my christmas bonus today, and will be surprising my girlfriend with a shiny new Macbook. This was supposed to be a christmas present of course, but instead I got her a Burning Crusade battle chest.

    Now unfortunately, we won't be at home tonight or tomorrow, so I won't be able to get my hands on our install discs. I could download it, but I would rather not have to deal with the wait, so my plan is to pick up WotLK (since she needs it anyway) and hope that it will come with a vanilla installer. Can anyone confirm this?

    I had to reinstall recently, and I'm alllmost positive it required previous installations, but I'm not positive enough to say definitely yes.

    However, I will say that the online downloader (official blizzard one that I'd link to if the wow site wasn't down) is very very fast now - it doesn't download redundant files, so it was about a 4.5gb download total. It installs while it downloads as well, and to be completely honest, the downloading was done on my laptop before the installation was. (This may depend on your cpu/ram, but installing vanilla on my laptop from CDs took 1 hr+, TBC took another hour before it crashed on disk4 being scratched/corrupted)

    Gdiguy on
  • RizziRizzi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So they're removing the racial restrictions on mounts next patch. Does that mean that we no longer need exalted to buy them? Or is that just a piece of misinformation that has been fed to me from hanging around the trade channel for too long?

    Rizzi on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Joeslop wrote: »
    End wrote: »
    SabreMau wrote: »
    End wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Sometimes it can be subtle. For example, in a Horde town located in the Dragonblight, Agmar's Hammer, you can choose to complete a series of quests that culminate in the rescue of the leader of the Taunka (The northrend tauren or whatever), who then stays within the town. I don't believe he appears there before then.

    Making npcs visible/invisible isn't anything new though.
    Where in pre-WotLK did they have NPCs be absent or present depending on which quests you'd completed, and visible to you but not to others who hadn't done it?

    I don't think they tied permanent visibility to quest completion until now, but there was a quest on the border of blasted lands/swamp of sorrows that upon completion would reveal another npc. I think it was temporary though, which doesn't make it -quite- as good as what we have now.

    Blizzard has been able to show/hide npcs from players for a while now, but the available conditions appear to have expanded. Doing that to buildings is a completely new, so far as I know.

    Case in point, Spirit Healers and some other ghosts. Can only be seen while dead; I would assume this whole phasing thing is just an upgrade of that technology.

    Yeah, we've had debuff/buff-based visibility of npcs forever.

    End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpgsteam~tinythumb.png
  • JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »
    So they're removing the racial restrictions on mounts next patch. Does that mean that we no longer need exalted to buy them? Or is that just a piece of misinformation that has been fed to me from hanging around the trade channel for too long?

    Misinformation. All it means is that now Tauren can ride something besides Kodos and PvP mounts, and the entire Alliance faction can ride Mechanostriders instead of just Gnomes and Dwarves.

    Joeslop on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »
    So they're removing the racial restrictions on mounts next patch. Does that mean that we no longer need exalted to buy them? Or is that just a piece of misinformation that has been fed to me from hanging around the trade channel for too long?

    No, but it does mean that Tauren can now purchase and ride Skeletal Warhorses, Hawkstriders, and Raptors form the mount vendors. Additionally, non-Gnome and Dwarf Alliance characters can now purchase and ride Mechanostriders.

    Nerdgasmic on
  • RizziRizzi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Boo.. I wanted a Hawkstrider for my rogue.
    Without farming Runecloth. Again. :?

    Rizzi on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    I can't remember the answer to this and I can't find it either.

    Does Hit Rating matter for PVP?

    JustinSane07 on
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I can't remember the answer to this and I can't find it either.

    Does Hit Rating matter for PVP?

    Yes, but I don't think weapon skill does.

    Does anyone know if druids can learn the melee dps goggles yet?

    Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • reVersereVerse Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fodder wrote: »
    I can't remember the answer to this and I can't find it either.

    Does Hit Rating matter for PVP?

    Yes, but I don't think weapon skill does.

    You crit less with low weapon skill in PvP.

    reVerse on
  • DisDis Registered User
    edited December 2008
    I can't remember the answer to this and I can't find it either.

    Does Hit Rating matter for PVP?

    Against Dodge maybe.

    Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Native chance to miss against even level targets means you want four or five percent hit for pvp; I forget exactly how much.

    Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
This discussion has been closed.