As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 12-31-08

13»

• Options
    Can_CalyxCan_Calyx Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Servo wrote: »
    Darth Nat wrote: »
    I'm not sure how many people around here read Star Wars: Legacy, but #31 had a classic "oh shit" moment.
    legacy31022zj2.jpg
    legacy31023bi5.jpg

i don't read it, but logically wouldn't
    the next big bad be the guy who just toasted the first one?
    I think so. But man, that twist shocked me.

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Were they? Damn. Speaking of glasses...

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »
    That part was so awesome.

And, while I admire their balls to
    kill off the big baddie long before the war is finished
    I am a bit worried on who is going to take his place.
    Wyyrlock or however you spell his name has been one of my favorite characters ever since his solo issue, so I think he could make a fine big bad dude. Plus, it should be interesting to see how characters like Talon that were wholly devoted to Krayt react to his death.

Darth Nat on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    god I want to slap the collective community of S_D in the face

With your cock, no doubt.

A particularly memorable moment was in Magneto: Testament. The two-page spread of the room with the spoons.

Those were eyeglasses

Indeed.

Mageneto: Testament should be assigned reading in schools. It's just so true to the time period, in a way even Schindler's List couldn't be.

Maybe I'm overly impressed with it... but I really think it's something that elevates the medium.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    god I want to slap the collective community of S_D in the face

With your cock, no doubt.

A particularly memorable moment was in Magneto: Testament. The two-page spread of the room with the spoons.

Those were eyeglasses

Indeed.

Mageneto: Testament should be assigned reading in schools. It's just so true to the time period, in a way even Schindler's List couldn't be.

Maybe I'm overly impressed with it... but I really think it's something that elevates the medium.

Really? Not being an ass or anything, but I was under the impression it was at the level of Marvel shovelware in terms of quality. If it's good I'll have to make a point of grabbing the trade.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I mean, in terms of a superhero thing, it's probably lacking. Magneto doesn't do much... you know, magneto-ie. In terms of a portrait of a Jew growing up in 1938 Germany, it seems pretty good to me.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    werehippy wrote: »
    Really? Not being an ass or anything, but I was under the impression it was at the level of Marvel shovelware in terms of quality. If it's good I'll have to make a point of grabbing the trade.

Oh, it's quite good. Greg Pak is, with the exception of a few misfires, generally synonymous with quality.

Munch on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    I read the 3 available ones last night and while I struggled to realise which was Magneto (Because I thought his name was Magnus Maximoff or something, not Max) it is rpetty good. Just expect story, not super heroics. Or villainy.

Well I guess they're kinda super villainy in the Nazi department.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I read the 3 available ones last night and while I struggled to realise which was Magneto (Because I thought his name was Magnus Maximoff or something, not Max) it is rpetty good. Just expect story, not super heroics. Or villainy.

Well I guess they're kinda super villainy in the Nazi department.

well, his real name is Max Eisenhardt... but before this comic his name was supposedly Erik Magnus Lehnsherr. I think he takes the name Erik from his uncle in the story, who is the resistance fighter in Warsaw.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Actually, they dismissed the "Erik Magnus Lensherr" thing quite some time ago; in 1998, X-Men 72, we find out that it was a fabrication.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Actually, they dismissed the "Erik Magnus Lensherr" thing quite some time ago; in 1998, X-Men 72, we find out that it was a fabrication.

Really? That's interesting. What were the circumstances that led to that?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Really? That's interesting. What were the circumstances that led to that?

I don't remember it all off the top of my head, but basically it turns out that Magneto got the name from a forger back in the old country, using it to protect his actual family from the ignominy and abuse of being Magneto's family. The issue, if I remember correctly, discussed this at some length.

There are still problems with this, e.g. why did Xavier always call him Magnus and Erik if neither is his name (especially since, when he met him, Xavier would have probed his mind), but it addresses the obvious problem of Lensherr being a completely absurd name for a Roma or Jewish man to have from that area/era.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Xavier doesn't probe minds without permission or reason.

At least he didn't used to.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't see why he wouldn't refer to someone by the name of their choice.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Xavier doesn't probe minds without permission or reason.

At least he didn't used to.

Uh, what?

He did it all the time...it was like, his thing. We just didn't talk about it as immoral.

But anyway, the fact is that Lensherr was a fake name, cobbled together by a pro and revealed as a fake when Mossad tracked Magneto's origin down. So, the new Max Eisenhart thing is great; it's a legitimate german name, it re-establishes his Jewish origin (as opposed to Roma), and provides a clear answer to who Magneto was.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, that's actually kind of neat.

And yeah, if your friend changed their name to protect their family, would you really be a dick about it?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hello Max Eisenhart, who wet the bed until he was 12 and once had a sex dream about his father. How's the rash?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I mean, uh, Erik. Or Magnus. Or whatever. Which would you prefer, old friend?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You know my uncle changed his name, but afterward he wouldn't respond to the new name all the time and people just thought he was kind of weird.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hello Max Eisenhart, who wet the bed until he was 12 and once had a sex dream about his father. How's the rash?

The truth is, that's what telepaths would have to surpress all the time.

I mean, it's like when you look at the body of a person you're talking to when you meet them. Some people will be dressed attractively or modestly, but some are going to be dressed like sluts or whatever. You can't avoid thinking certain thoughts about their appearance, and telepaths must have the same basic problem with your mind.

I can't understand how any telepaths even DEAL with sex, given how many disgusting sexual fantasies they must encounter. It's like that Chapelle Show sketch where they make fun of "What Women Want" by having "What Men Want".

mattharvest on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This brings up an excellent point; the X-Mansion must be hell for telepaths.

Think about it; not only do you have a large group of young people running around with powers they don't fully understand and horomones raging out of control, you've also got staff wandering about wearing skintight spandex or leather, and in some cases, next to nothing at all, most of them in peak physical condition.

The mental debauchery must be non-stop.

Furthermore, you're crammed in with far more other telepaths per captia than almost anywhere else on Earth, meaning that not only do you have to figuratively watch your step moreso than usual, but the odds are good you're going to run into far more powerful psychics than you on a daily basis, as opposed to the streets of a general city where you're far less likely to stumble upon another at all.

And then you add the frequency with which the X-Mansion is attacked, and the pain, fear and anger many of these individuals have pent up or perhaps fester (especially the less human appearing mutants) and it must be a powder keg.

While the training must be incredibly useful, the first few days/weeks/months there as an up and coming telepath might just be pretty ugly.

Well, unless Xavier/Frost/Jean/Whoever made their first priority to help said new telepaths build up some mental blocks/barriers and teach them to filter everything out.

I suppose it would also be the case that like any other sense we have, people would learn to filter things on their own as well, but keeping in mind that many/most mutations show up around puberty, many of the younger people coming to the school probably haven't had that much time with their powers/senses yet.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've always wondered why more people that are involved with the X-men (or super people in general) don't wear magneto-like helmets. Surely someone has gotten the design on that thing by now.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That's... not a bad point.

There are like 15 different Telepath-blocking devices easily worn on the head. You'd think someone would mass-produce those suckers.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    They'd become like a personal firewall. You could tell the moment one broke; that person would just shut down on the spot as countless nearby psychics locked onto them and tore through them for info, control or shenanigans.

Although that might be less likely to happen, if the telepaths were the only ones unshielded. They'd probably just end up hunting one another through lack of other viable targets. Setting up territory like lions and ocassionally enroaching upon one another.

Maybe that's why it's simpler to just keep the tech restricted; having so many minds constantly open keeps them too busy to do much of anything at all?

I wonder if that would make outer space heaven or hell; it'd actually be quiet, but for some it might be too quiet.

Forar on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can't understand how any telepaths even DEAL with sex, given how many disgusting sexual fantasies they must encounter. It's like that Chapelle Show sketch where they make fun of "What Women Want" by having "What Men Want".

This was kind of a recurring bit with Jean Grey in Ultimate X-Men. Every time she'd encounter someone they'd start picturing her nude/in her underwear. This led to a pretty funny moment later when she met Spider-Man, and thanked him for being the first guy in months not to picture her naked, adding a second later, "Until now." What followed was a page of Spider-Man grabbing his head and saying something like, "Wait, I'm done now," and, "Wait, okay now I'm done," while Jean makes horrified faces.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Munch wrote: »

This was kind of a recurring bit with Jean Grey in Ultimate X-Men. Every time she'd encounter someone they'd start picturing her nude/in her underwear. This led to a pretty funny moment later when she met Spider-Man, and thanked him for being the first guy in months not to picture her naked, adding a second later, "Until now." What followed was a page of Spider-Man grabbing his head and saying something like, "Wait, I'm done now," and, "Wait, okay now I'm done," while Jean makes horrified faces.

I loved that part. And frankly, considering the number of times she was drawn wearing nothing but her underwear, she shouldn't be so prudish.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Munch wrote: »

I loved that part. And frankly, considering the number of times she was drawn wearing nothing but her underwear, she shouldn't be so prudish.

I suppose she could just use her 'disguise' ability to make herself appear unattractive (or as a man, as she did in one of the first UXM stories), or just outright meddle with their minds. Which could be an interesting idea; a psychic that intentionally makes himself/herself appear less attractive to other people to be left alone.

In a world with such powerful telepaths/psychics, you could never be absolutely certain (without the aforementioned mental blocks, that is) that your senses could be trusted.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Really, I think the more likely result is that telepaths are all just freaky-deaky.

Which just raises problems for everyone else.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I enjoyed Fantastic Four #562
    FantasticFour562024.jpg

FantasticFour562025.jpg

FantasticFour562026.jpg

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm still wary of the Marquis of Death thing.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The issue felt good, up until the whole "My master's coming. He even scares me!" thing. It felt a bit forced. And the last line was a bit corny.

But I'll keep my hopes up!

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    I wonder if that would make outer space heaven or hell; it'd actually be quiet, but for some it might be too quiet.

This reminds me of that early episode of TNG with the Betazoid who couldn't turn his telepathy off, and was only able to find peace with a living, sapient spaceship. So yeah, being a powerful telepath could suck quite a bit, most especially if one couldn't control their ability.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I still think it's ridiculous that Dr. Doom was "taught" villainy.

I mean A.) It's not like Riiiichaaaaards was taught heroism, and B.) How fucking hard is it to figure out how to be a villain when you're a mad genius scientist sorcerer with nigh-unlimited funds and complete autocratic rule of a small country? I mean I think your options at that point are really pretty damn open.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What's going on there? I don't understand.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Think about it; not only do you have a large group of young people running around with powers they don't fully understand and horomones raging out of control, you've also got staff wandering about wearing skintight spandex or leather, and in some cases, next to nothing at all, most of them in peak physical condition.

[...] the X-Mansion must be hell for telepaths [...] horomones raging out of control [...] skintight spandex or leather [...] next to nothing at all [...] peak physical condition [...] mental debauchery must be non-stop.

I keep re-reading this, but I don't follow how it's anything other a goldmine for telepaths.

desc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It... might get tiresome after a while?

Especially if you're on the receiving end of it, as it was pointed out above that Jean Grey is/was/will be.

I imagine it'd make dating easier, though. Well, until they find out you can read their mind, then you have no excuse for not knowing what's wrong/what you did wrong.

Forar on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    desc wrote: »

[...] the X-Mansion must be hell for telepaths [...] horomones raging out of control [...] skintight spandex or leather [...] next to nothing at all [...] peak physical condition [...] mental debauchery must be non-stop.

I keep re-reading this, but I don't follow how it's anything other a goldmine for telepaths.

Wait, wasn't there a comic (I recall from *sad* s_d) of Gambit or someone else discussing telepaths with some of the kids. The women wouldn't dare want to read the boys' minds, and he kept them out by always thinking of the time the Blob's leotard was melted away and he was standing in the midst of battle skyclad in all of his rolling glory.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Naked Blob: a mental defense so powerful, even Cerebro couldn't get you past it.

desc on