As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's talk about iphone/ipod touch games

• 232430232430 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yes, there is a ScummVM engine on the iPhone, it does require a jailbreak though, there is also a NES, MAME, Genesis and PSX emulator.
    As far as space is concerned I have just over 160 apps: about 100 are games and 60 are various other apps,
    this takes up 1.71GB

Some recommendations:
    Cube Runner (Free) or Cube Run II (Paid) - Been mentioned before, the 2nd one adds a time trial, plus allows you to build custom maps on the iPhone (The 1st one allows custom maps, but these have to be created in a .txt file, and then downloaded to the iPhone.
    Scramboni (Free) - Online competitive anagram game.
    Jelly Car (Free) - I'm sure most of you have heard of this one, was an indie game released a while ago. Physics based game where you have to get a car made of jelly to the exit.
    Hidden Expedition Everest (Paid) - One of those "We've hidden several items in this picture, can you find them?" games.
    Anaconda (Free) - Decent snake clone. (Best one I've found)
    LineRider (Paid) - (If you liked the original)
    Neo SameGame (Paid) - Remove connected blocks of the same colour, try get rid of them all. (There are plenty of these, I found this one to be one of the better ones)
    Tap Tap Revenge (Free) - Again, already mentioned. Guitar Hero-esque game, not bad. Plus "proper" bands have started adding songs to the track list now.
    Superball 2 (Paid) - Arkanoid clone, 100's of levels. (Around 300, I think)
    Hold'em (Paid) - Nice Texas Hold'Em app, no online, but you can play with other nearby (on the same wifi) iPhone users.
    Cube (Free) - Port of this http://cubeengine.com/ . Controls are pretty awkward, but hey it's an FPS on the iPhone.
    Flick Fishing (Paid) - Fishing simulation game.
    Lux Touch (Free) Lux DLX (Paid) - Risk game. (I only have the free version, which is OK. Could do with some improvements.)
    Aqua Forest (Paid) - Physics sim game, pretty good. Suffers from drops in frame rate when too much is drawn.
    Fieldrunners (Paid) - Tower Defense game.
    ESPN Cameraman (Free) - Spot the difference.
    Spore (Paid) - It's basically just the first stage, with more levels and less evolution.
    Crosswords (Free) - In my opinion, a must for any crossword fans. Can download puzzles daily from several major newspapers.
    Tangram Pro (Paid) - Loads of tangram puzzles.
    Topple (Free) - Mentioned earlier, build a tower as high as you can.
    Dr. Awesome (Paid) - Qix clone. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qix
    Warfare Inc. (Paid) - A full RTS game, with campaign (20 missions) and downloadable maps (200). Apparently there's multiplayer coming soon aswell.
    S. Deadbeef (Free) - Side scrolling space shooter, although very limited, not bad.
    Tiki Towers (Paid) - Build a wooden tower to get monkey's to the exit. Think World Of Goo.

Woo, that's it for now unless I can think of some more. I'll happily offer more details on any of these.

EDIT: I may be incorrect about the pricing on some of those. To the best of my knowledge they are correct. Also this website is useful
    http://appshopper.com/ especially for finding out if any games are having special promotions (Free or price cut)

232430 on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TapDefense (free) is a solid tower defense game
    GalCon (paid, w/ free demo) is like real-time Risk in Space.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Frenzic is supposed to be really good, but I feel as though I'm just not getting it. It seems dumb that you often get stuck with pieces that don't fit and you have to sit there and lose a life.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Frenzic is supposed to be really good, but I feel as though I'm just not getting it. It seems dumb that you often get stuck with pieces that don't fit and you have to sit there and lose a life.
    This is the one thing I hate about Frenzic. Everything else is great.

Senshi on
  • pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    it is to be noted that UNLESS you jailbreak your phone / touch, you do have a limited partition on which to install apps, and once this is full you are SOOL unless you want to uninstall stuff. Jailbreaking gets around this by using the media partition for the applications.

pabh on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Are we allowed to talk about jailbreaking in here? If so, what are the pros an cons of doing it? Is it difficult? Will updates from apple brick my ipod?

Food on
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Food wrote: »
    Are we allowed to talk about jailbreaking in here? If so, what are the pros an cons of doing it? Is it difficult? Will updates from apple brick my ipod?

Jailbreak is retarded. Don't do it.

Obs on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I hear good things about Rolando. Has anyone here actually played it?

I love it. Other good games I've got are:

Labyrinth
    Touch Physics
    Aurora Feint
    Air Hockey
    Enigmo

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

jailbreak is the way to go.
    only con is you can't update at the day of patch release. you just need to wait a bit until they update the jailbreak. well, and the usual risk of bricking your phone if you don't know how to follow directions.

several things you can do with jailbreak.

use iphone as a modem for your laptop. this app used to be available in the app store but it got taken down. you can get it a free one over cydia (appstore for jailbroken iphone)

Get the ability to record videos. I shouldn't have to jailbreak to get this.... fucking apple.

use iphone browser and use it as portable storage device

Doom shareware for iphone. if you have the original game you can upload the wad files and make it into full doom.

SCUMMVM. scumm alone makes it worth the jailbreak.

New themes for the phone. right now I have my themes set to match my windows vista. and I have my "slide to unlock" page set to mario world that matches the day/night lighting conditions.

replace text message sounds. we all love the alert noise from metal gear solid. and locked iphones can't use custom text messaging sounds.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Esh wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    You can always remove some games temporarily and add others if it became an issue.

For me, that is too big a downside. If we're talking discs or carts, it's easy to swap them, but I'd hate having to sit around transferring data just because I wanted to play a game

Jesus. I remember when to play a game I could start it loading, make and eat lunch, and then come back to finally have it ready to play. People are spoiled nowadays.

Get off my lawn.

Dude, I also remember those days.

That is why I do not want to go back to them.

Evander on
  • OptimusWangOptimusWang Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned Reign of Swords yet, that game is awesome. Think Final Fantasy Tactics without the horrible rules system and you'll have the right idea.

Do you mean the FFTA horrible laws system? Or is there some rules system in FFT that I'm unaware of after playing through it about 10 times?

I'm talking about the one with Link using the Gunsword with the help of Pokemon to fight off the Invid.
    Of course I'm talking about FFTA, it's just been years since I owned a game boy, much less played the damn thing.

OptimusWang on
    edited January 2009

I jailbroke (jailbreaked?) my phone for two reasons and two reasons only: tethering (use your phone as an EDGE/3G modem for your laptop) and IntelliScreen (proper Today screen functionality).

Jailbreaking is ridiculously easy. I don't know about 3g iPhones, but jailbreaking a first-generation takes five minutes and is practically idiot-proof. Apple updates won't brick your phone, but they will un-jailbreak it; you need to wait a few days until the hackers can catch up with Apple and release their own update.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited January 2009
    There are very good reasons for why you shouldn't jailbreak an iPhone, most of which aren't yet completely understood.

Obs on
    edited January 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    There are very good reasons for why you shouldn't jailbreak an iPhone, most of which aren't yet completely understood.

Care to elaborate?

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited January 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

I jailbroke (jailbreaked?) my phone for two reasons and two reasons only: tethering (use your phone as an EDGE/3G modem for your laptop) and IntelliScreen (proper Today screen functionality).

Jailbreaking is ridiculously easy. I don't know about 3g iPhones, but jailbreaking a first-generation takes five minutes and is practically idiot-proof. Apple updates won't brick your phone, but they will un-jailbreak it; you need to wait a few days until the hackers can catch up with Apple and release their own update.

With Quickpwn it's ridiculously easy on a 3G as well.

I love IntelliScreen but there are a few other apps I couldn't live without now.

iBlacklist - Blacklist callers and SMS
    Snapture - Much better camera
    NemusSync - Sync with Google Calendar
    MxTube - Download YouTube vidoes
    Backgrounder - allow apps to keep running the background
    Insomnia - Suspend the phone's ability to sleep when locked
    SBSettings - Swipe the status bar at the top to get a screen to toggle things like Bluetooth, Wifi, 3G, on and off.
    scootch wrote:
    SCUMMVM. scumm alone makes it worth the jailbreak.

How is the battery life with SCUMMVM.

When I tried it with Monkey Island 3 it drained my battery like nothing else.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    EDIT: Screw everyone at my college

Somestickguy on
    edited January 2009

Care to elaborate?

Not really.

At the end of the day you are putting your trust into people who think they know what they are doing, but they have no real regard for design quality or user standards. Of course, it doesn't matter, if you fuck up the phone hardware wise it's only 200 bucks anyway to get another one, but just be aware that your user experience will probably suffer, and make the phone less enjoyable.

Obs on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Have you looked at the official App Store? There are already people releasing apps who clearly have no regard for design quality or user standards.

And Jailbreaking offers no real chances of damagin your hardware. Even the most bricked iPhone can be recovered if you know what you're doing.

ben0207 on
    edited January 2009
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Have you looked at the official App Store? There are already people releasing apps who clearly have no regard for design quality or user standards.

Are you saying this because A) People are charging money for simple apps or B) there are legitimately shitty apps full of bugs and sloppiness?

Obs on
    edited January 2009
    B) There are some legitimately shitty apps out there.

Also, I'd love to see World of Goo and a real Crayon Physics on the phone.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Suds wrote: »

Crayon Physics has supposedly already been released in America.

However, in Europe, I still can only find the Touch Physics game, which is a rip-off. Well made, but still a rip-off. Oh, and very boring after the first few levels.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is there anyway to download youtube videos on my Touch without modding the thing?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

edited January 2009

Care to elaborate?

Not really.

At the end of the day you are putting your trust into people who think they know what they are doing, but they have no real regard for design quality or user standards. Of course, it doesn't matter, if you fuck up the phone hardware wise it's only 200 bucks anyway to get another one, but just be aware that your user experience will probably suffer, and make the phone less enjoyable.

personally I prefer the ability to gain access to my own device, and to be able to change such fundamentals as the user pass, and logon name. As opposed to the standard one that every iphone/touch has. Also there is a LOT of freeware out there thats not going to get certified for the apple store. But as you say, people differ, so YMMV

pabh on
    edited January 2009
    eobet wrote: »
    Suds wrote: »

Crayon Physics has supposedly already been released in America.

However, in Europe, I still can only find the Touch Physics game, which is a rip-off. Well made, but still a rip-off. Oh, and very boring after the first few levels.

Yeah, I just grabbed it after noticing that it's released here in NA.
    Is there anyway to download youtube videos on my Touch without modding the thing?

You can use Videora to download them from YouTube and convert them to mp4. Then use iTunes to put it onto your Touch.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lux Touch/DLX (free/paid) is risk without displayed dice rolls. The free one is basic risk with set AI so after a while you know exactly how the AI will behave and it becomes easy. The paid one you can download from a nice library of maps and change the AI difficulty. Its a lot better if you like risk, but there is framerate lag sometimes and it isnt as snappy fast as the free one, but given the benefits of it, its worth it.

also the .99 tangram pro or whatever is fun. i picked it up when they were giving it away about a month ago.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    the .99 tangram pro or whatever is fun. i picked it up when they were giving it away about a month ago.

Yeah, I can second this one. Nifty little app to pass the time waiting on a conference call.

I'll also give a tip of the hat to whomever else reccomended tap defense. Solid little implementation of tower defense, that... with accelerometer contols (trust me, it's there).

Also: If you're even a remote fan of solitare, get Sol Free.

I'm curious if anyone has played the simcity app yet. My "threshold" for buying games for this thing is 5 bucks, and yet I've yet to reach that (I've spent 2.99 on an app, and that's the most I've spent yet). I'm curious as to how it plays.

Now, if someone would release a classic Civ port...

And no, you shouldn't jailbreak you phone, no matter how bad you want SCUMMVM.

DietarySupplement on
  • 232430232430 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Care to elaborate?

Not really.

I don't see how you can say these guys have no regard for design quality or standards.
    Sure they don't have a standards authority breathing down their neck, but these are talented individuals who care about what they do.
    I mean, you can at least agree that they run this stuff on their own phones, and I'm sure they don't want them breaking.

Edit: And if that isn't enough, even Stephen Fry is jailbroken and trusts these guys... Stephen Fry.

232430 on
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    the .99 tangram pro or whatever is fun. i picked it up when they were giving it away about a month ago.

Yeah, I can second this one. Nifty little app to pass the time waiting on a conference call.

I'll also give a tip of the hat to whomever else reccomended tap defense. Solid little implementation of tower defense, that... with accelerometer contols (trust me, it's there).

Also: If you're even a remote fan of solitare, get Sol Free.

I'm curious if anyone has played the simcity app yet. My "threshold" for buying games for this thing is 5 bucks, and yet I've yet to reach that (I've spent 2.99 on an app, and that's the most I've spent yet). I'm curious as to how it plays.

Now, if someone would release a classic Civ port...

And no, you shouldn't jailbreak you phone, no matter how bad you want SCUMMVM.

this

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
    edited January 2009

Care to elaborate?

Not really.

I pray to god you're not using Linux on your computer.

As I said above, I jailbroke my phone solely for the purpose of two applications, each of which enhances my user experience greatly but will never be seen on the App Store because of Apple's restrictions. My user experience has been improved, rather than made to suffer, and the phone is more enjoyable to use; other than those two applications, there is no noticeable change in my phone's operation.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited January 2009
    pabh wrote: »

Care to elaborate?

Not really.

personally I prefer the ability to gain access to my own device, and to be able to change such fundamentals as the user pass, and logon name. As opposed to the standard one that every iphone/touch has. Also there is a LOT of freeware out there thats not going to get certified for the apple store. But as you say, people differ, so YMMV

Are you deranged? You don't have "access" to your own device because you can't go in and do a bunch of stuff that the designers never wanted you to do? This strikes me as linux style thinking. Your on a Mac platform dude, you should do things correctly.

Obs on
    edited January 2009

Care to elaborate?

Not really.

As I said above, I jailbroke my phone solely for the purpose of two applications, each of which enhances my user experience greatly but will never be seen on the App Store because of Apple's restrictions. My user experience has been improved, rather than made to suffer, and the phone is more enjoyable to use; other than those two applications, there is no noticeable change in my phone's operation.

It's not on the App store because
    1) It eats battery life like a motherfucker (network data transfer is the most power intensive thing you can do with an iphone)
    2) Apple may possibly be releasing their own version of this eventually and they don't want the competition.

Obs on
    edited January 2009

Care to elaborate?

Not really.

It's not on the App store because
    1) It eats battery life like a motherfucker (network data transfer is the most power intensive thing you can do with an iphone)
    2) Apple may possibly be releasing their own version of this eventually and they don't want the competition.

The two applications in question are, as I have stated, tethering and today screen functionality.

For a brief period of time, there was a tethering program available on the App Store, but AT&T forced Apple to take it down. AT&T's policy is to charge extra for a tethering data plan, which is not currently available on the iPhone.

For the second, Apple forces all applications to be completely self-contained (i.e. it starts running when you open it, and it exits completely when you press the home button or turn off the phone). With this restriction, it is impossible to make useful today screen software. This has nothing to do with a specific case of potential competition and everything to do with Apple's fundamental model of how 3rd party software operates on the iPhone.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited January 2009
    For the second, Apple forces all applications to be completely self-contained (i.e. it starts running when you open it, and it exits completely when you press the home button or turn off the phone). With this restriction, it is impossible to make useful today screen software. This has nothing to do with a specific case of potential competition and everything to do with Apple's fundamental model of how 3rd party software operates on the iPhone.

This restriction is important. You DON'T want third party things running in the background, or the performance of the Phone will suffer at some point.

Obs on
    edited January 2009

This restriction is important. You DON'T want third party things running in the background, or the performance of the Phone will suffer at some point.

This is where the heart of our argument lies. It sounds to me that you're saying that third-party developers are inherently untrustworthy. I can agree that allowing just any application to run in the background is a terrible idea. However, I AM saying that it's possible for people other than Apple to be competent coders and that my iPhone won't blow up because I'm running a single piece of well-designed third-party software that runs in the background.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited January 2009

This is where the heart of our argument lies. It sounds to me that you're saying that third-party developers are inherently untrustworthy. I can agree that allowing every single application to run in the background is a terrible idea. However, I AM saying that it's possible for people other than Apple to be competent coders and that my iPhone won't blow up because I'm running a single piece of well-designed third-party software that runs in the background.

Why do you think the software you are running is well-designed.

Obs on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Let's get back to games.

I'll second Topple, it's great for a laugh and it's free.
    Puzzle Quest is out for the iPhone, though it's $10 for only the first third of the game, I hear.
    I keep hearing Hero of Sparta is a good God of War clone with better controls than you'd think.
    And Bejeweled 2 is absurdly polished and cheap.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited January 2009
    Would a roguetype city planner do well on an iPhone?

Obs on
    edited January 2009
    pabh wrote: »

Care to elaborate?

Not really.

Are you deranged? You don't have "access" to your own device because you can't go in and do a bunch of stuff that the designers never wanted you to do? This strikes me as linux style thinking. Your on a Mac platform dude, you should do things correctly.

Not deranged, though thanks for the aspersions as to my mental well-being. No I am quite truly a mac user, owning at last count 4 or 5 of them. Thinking that taking things at face value and not hacking them, (modifying them etc) is the MAC WAY is a little [strike]gormless[/strike] deluded, in my opinion.
    Just because recent trends in mac hardware have moved towards completely self contained units, that mac want people to tinker inside of less and less, does not mean that tinkering inside said items is not in and of itself something worthwhile doing. But again YMMV

pabh on
  • RegularStormyRegularStormy Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    Funny, I just posted about an iPhone / iPod Touch game before I saw this thread.

If you like Tower Defense games, check out "The Creeps!", I've been playing it a lot.

macenstein review
    toucharcade review

Otherwise I've heard 7 Cities is good, but I haven't played it yet.

RegularStormy on
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Puzzle Quest is out for the iPhone, though it's $10 for only the first third of the game, I hear.

I've tried the game on other platforms, and it is fun, but the graphics looks like they were made by some emo college kid posting on Deviantart...

...and worse, the iPhone port seem to be exactly the same graphics, only stretched to widescreen. STRETCHED!

People are complaining that they can't even read the text in the game.

What the fuck are they thinking? The game is fun, but not Nintendo fun; they do not have a license to print money, and will receive exactly none from me.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
This discussion has been closed.