As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

powersupply question?

LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
My powersupply fans are squeaking or grinding, whatever you want to call it. Its a loud audible noise. Is this bad? Can i just replace the fans without having to buy another powersupply on my comp? Any info be great thanks!

Laonar on

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've replaced them. They're often connected with regular fan headers and even when not a simple splicing job puts you in business.

PSUs can give you a hell of a shock, though. Even unplugged and turned off a goodly while. Be careful. Nothing like a CRT but bad enough that you don't want to be careless.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    AgehnAgehn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    CRT monitors give bad shocks? Please, elaborate on this hazard faced by our gaming forefathers.

Agehn on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    CRTs use large capacitors (the tube itself also acts as one though that one discharges fast), and touching the wrong place can give you a nasty shock. Bigger the CRT, more powerful the capacitors.

In order of most to least painful things that have shocked me:

CRT capacitors
    PSU capacitors
    Disposable camera capacitors (still unpleasant enough, believe me)
    Christmas lights socket. They just tickle.

I've been called clumsy, but I prefer the term 'unintentionally adventurous'.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i wouldnt, i messed with my last power supply trying to fix it and in turn i fried my entire mobo, i have no idea how i did it but i did

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You probably shorted it and sent a bunch of voltage through part of the board.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanks, Im not much of a computer techie. I can switch parts out just fine I just dont want anything bad to happen. In the long run can this hurt the computer? What is causing the squeaking?

Laonar on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The bearings on the fan are going, which is making the noise you hear (in all likelyhood.) Means the motor is overcoming more friction, and in the long run it'll mean more bearings will go until the fan seizes altogether.

If you short something while the PSU is connected, you can definitely hurt your computer. If you disconnect the PSU from the machine, unplug it from the wall and turn it off and wait an hour, the worst you can do is zap yourself pretty good, or perhaps cook the PSU if you bridge something you aren't supposed to. Since your alternative is a new PSU (when the fan goes) anyways, it's probably not something you couldn't attempt if you're careful and are confident enough poking around in electronics anyways.

Be careful when you open the PSU. Don't touch the walls of the PSU case against the components. Don't bring a screwdriver around the innards at all, and if you have to use needlenose pliers, be damned careful not to touch anything with them but the socket you're connecting/disconnecting. In fact, just don't touch anything but the fan connector and the fan itself, and the job is a cinch.

Gloves are a pretty good idea, though.

You don't have to rush to fix it or anything, but you probably don't want to leave your computer running all night in case that's when the fan goes.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What's the brand on the PSU and how old is it? You may be able to do an RMA.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ego wrote: »
    CRTs use large capacitors (the tube itself also acts as one though that one discharges fast), and touching the wrong place can give you a nasty shock. Bigger the CRT, more powerful the capacitors.

In order of most to least painful things that have shocked me:

CRT capacitors
    PSU capacitors
    Disposable camera capacitors (still unpleasant enough, believe me)
    Christmas lights socket. They just tickle.

I've been called clumsy, but I prefer the term 'unintentionally adventurous'.

I'm glad i'm not the only one to be laid on my ass by a CRT shock

Buttcleft on