As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act

AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin KoopantinoRegistered User regular
edited November 2006 in Debate and/or Discourse
Well there is a new piece of retarded legislation making the rounds that would make boycotting, whistle blowing, and peaceful protests in the name of animal rights and advocacy illegal and label them terrorist acts.

For instance, if you encouraged people on the internet not to buy a particular brand of meat product because it was produced via factory farming, you could be charged with terrorism.

Apparently this act would also protect animal fighting.

Here's a fact sheet on the AETA. I apologize in advance if reading it hurts your brain.

Now I severely doubt this thing is going to get passed, but how exactly does shit like this even receive consideration? Yeah, sure, some PETA nuts will vandalize an animal testing facility now and then... but does that really call for something like the AETA? I think not.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
AbsoluteZero on

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Well there is a new piece of retarded legislation making the rounds that would make boycotting, whistle blowing, and peaceful protests in the name of animal rights and advocacy illegal and label them terrorist acts.

For instance, if you encouraged people on the internet not to buy a particular brand of meat product because it was produced via factory farming, you could be charged with terrorism.

Apparently this act would also protect animal fighting.

Here's a fact sheet on the AETA. I apologize in advance if reading it hurts your brain.

Now I severely doubt this thing is going to get passed, but how exactly does shit like this even receive consideration? Yeah, sure, some PETA nuts will vandalize an animal testing facility now and then... but does that really call for something like the AETA? I think not.

That's pretty dumb. I'd like an act that just makes it ok for me to punch people in the face who really think protesting accomplishes anything other than making you look like a useless twat.

Vincent Grayson on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    That's pretty dumb. I'd like an act that just makes it ok for me to punch people in the face who really think protesting accomplishes anything other than making you look like a useless twat.

In some cases it works pretty well. One pet store here was driven out of business because the owner kept getting his dogs from puppy mills. Some people stood outside his store with signs and actually raised awareness.

The people that do things like protest KFC aren't doing anything useful, though. I have to imagine that the people who go there already know what they are eating.

Doc on
    edited November 2006
    Doc wrote:

In some cases it works pretty well. One pet store here was driven out of business because the owner kept getting his dogs from puppy mills. Some people stood outside his store with signs and actually raised awareness.

The people that do things like protest KFC aren't doing anything useful, though. I have to imagine that the people who go there already know what they are eating.

Yeah, in a case like that, where it's something small, I can see affecting change, but it seems like, especially with these groups, it's often against something so big that even if they convince a few people, they won't make much of a dent.

Vincent Grayson on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Doc wrote:

Some people being idiots is not a reason to ban protesting etc.

Fencingsax on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.

That said, I can't actually find the real bill, and I'm not about to swallow a blog report wholesale until I've read the legislation in question.

Salvation122 on
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, in a case like that, where it's something small, I can see affecting change, but it seems like, especially with these groups, it's often against something so big that even if they convince a few people, they won't make much of a dent.

Yeah, but they'll still make a dent, even if it's a small one. Just as importantly, the person's money will now be going to a competitor whose business practices are (hopefully) less offensive.

Doc on
    edited November 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Doc wrote:

Some people being idiots is not a reason to ban protesting etc.

Oh no, I'm not saying we should ban it, just that it's usually a fine combination of stupid, and useless...but if that's how people want to use their time, they're free to, as long as they don't get in the way.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited November 2006
    They don't usually kill people

Has there ever been a case where they've killed someone?

Doc on
    edited November 2006
    Found the text of the bill as adopted, and the Humane Society and about ninety different blogs are all full of shit.
    (d) Definitions- As used in this section--

`(1) the term `animal enterprise' means--

`(A) a commercial or academic enterprise that uses or sells animals or animal products for profit, food or fiber production, agriculture, education, research, or testing;

`(B) a zoo, aquarium, animal shelter, pet store, breeder, furrier, circus, or rodeo, or other lawful competitive animal event; or

`(C) any fair or similar event intended to advance agricultural arts and sciences;

`(2) the term `course of conduct' means a pattern of conduct composed of 2 or more acts, evidencing a continuity of purpose;

`(3) the term `economic damage'--

`(A) means the replacement costs of lost or damaged property or records, the costs of repeating an interrupted or invalidated experiment, the loss of profits, or increased costs, including losses and increased costs resulting from threats, acts or vandalism, property damage, trespass, harassment, or intimidation taken against a person or entity on account of that person's or entity's connection to, relationship with, or transactions with the animal enterprise; but

`(B) does not include any lawful economic disruption (including a lawful boycott) that results from lawful public, governmental, or business reaction to the disclosure of information about an animal enterprise;

(e) Rules of Construction- Nothing in this section shall be construed--

`(1) to prohibit any expressive conduct (including peaceful picketing or other peaceful demonstration) protected from legal prohibition by the First Amendment to the Constitution;

`(2) to create new remedies for interference with activities protected by the free speech or free exercise clauses of the First Amendment to the Constitution, regardless of the point of view expressed, or to limit any existing legal remedies for such interference; or

`(3) to provide exclusive criminal penalties or civil remedies with respect to the conduct prohibited by this action, or to preempt State or local laws that may provide such penalties or remedies.'.

Salvation122 on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.

That said, I can't actually find the real bill, and I'm not about to swallow a blog report wholesale until I've read the legislation in question.

Here ya go.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited November 2006

I'm not terribly fond of the Earth Firsters either, but I wonder how this can be true. Do you mean "largest" in the sense that the Sierra Club has more members than Al Qaieda?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That whole "Rules of Construction" bit isn't even present in the copy of the bill I am looking at.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people...

You realize, I hope, how that sounds.

But yes, they have killed people. Not in numbers that look huge in headlines but are still statistically insignificant as a cause of death, like "real" terrorists, but still tragic. There's one scumbag that Penn & Teller proved is being supported financially by PETA, an arsonist whose firebug tendencies have already claimed innocent lives. Of course, one wouldn't expect an organization that compares, nay, insists that poultry farms are as bad as the Holocaust, to have any reservations about burning research labs with the grad students still inside.

That said, everything that actual ecoterrorists do at the moment is already illegal. So this is just another piece of unconstitutional "anti-terror" legislation that is really aimed right at civil liberties.

Tiemler on
    edited November 2006
    That whole "Rules of Construction" bit isn't even present in the copy of the bill I am looking at.
    That's because you're looking at House 4239, and not Senate 3880. The Senate bill is the one the fact sheet you posted cites, so it's the one I posted.
    Tiemler wrote:
    That said, everything that actual ecoterrorists do at the moment is already illegal. So this is just another piece of unconstitutional "anti-terror" legislation that is really aimed right at civil liberties.
    ...it expressly provides for peaceful demonstration and boycotts. Read my post after the one you quoted.

Salvation122 on
    edited November 2006
    Can anyone cite a specific case where ecoterrorism has killed a person?

Doc on
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

That's what I said. I'm sure sounds all well and scary coming from those militant radicals at the Humane Society, but how dumb is it really?

House version, but I see no reference to terrorism. Violation of this statute is charged under this statute. They aren't going to black bag you, it's mostly still fines and token sentences.

BUT

Title 18 USC S.43 (The bit being amended)

those sentences did not used to be so high. You still have to do more than $10,000 to get more than a year (which you probably wouldn't even serve all of on your second offense).

Regardless of the exaggerations presented (by the Humane Society, whom I kid), this bill is stupid, superfluous, and excessive. The threat of eco-terrorism is no greater than it was, why the sentence bump? Previously there was >$10,000 damage, and <$10,000 in damage. They rated 3 years and 6 months and restitution. This bill makes it 5 years, 1 year, and 10 years for over $100,000 (and restitution).

It also expands the scope of this section to cover offenses against associates of people involved in the animal business.

Thats it. The 3 year sentences for $10,000->$99,999 and assault are now a max of 5. And fucking with Frank Perdue's neighbor is now covered.

Big deal. Sentence enhancements don't seem necessary, and if it isn't necessary it shouldn't be. That's the cardinal rule of lawmaking in my mind.

So ultimately I agree that it is stupid, but and stupid legislation should be fought at every turn, but I don't care for exaggeration; even if it is the only way to get people to listen. Maybe I'm missing something, but until it is pointed out: For shame HSUS.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    edited November 2006
    Doc wrote:
    Unabomber?

Salvation122 on
    edited November 2006
    Doc wrote:
    Unabomber?

Anti-technology/pro-individual radicalism is not the same as pro-environment radicalism.

Doc on
  • bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Doc wrote:
    Unabomber?
    ...the libertarian luddite unabomber?

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    edited November 2006

That's what I said. I'm sure sounds all well and scary coming from those militant radicals at the Humane Society, but how dumb is it really?

House version, but I see no reference to terrorism. Violation of this statute is charged under this statute. They aren't going to black bag you, it's mostly still fines and token sentences.
    HEY

HEY YOU

THIS IS THE VERSION THAT PASSED, NOT THE HOUSE BILL

THE HOUSE BILL ISN'T OUT OF COMMITTEE

Salvation122 on
    edited November 2006

HEY

HEY YOU

THIS IS THE VERSION THAT PASSED, NOT THE HOUSE BILL

THE HOUSE BILL ISN'T OUT OF COMMITTEE

Yes, it passed the Senate, and now it's in the House. I started typing that immediately after you made the post I quoted. There's no need for large letters.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So now if a self-righteous hippie throws red paint on some pretentious bitch's fur coat, he's not just a smug twat but a terrorist too?

Seriously, though. Sometimes protestors get arrested for really minor violations of the law, like trespassing (because they let one foot touch the soil owned by the business they're protesting) or disturbing the peace (because they were blocking the sidewalk outside of the business) or jaywalking (because they took a few steps into the street to stop blocking the sidewalk outside of the business). So now that their protests are no longer "lawful" does that mean the cops get to haul them in on terrorism charges, too? Dandy!

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

Blowing up / setting on fire things, expensive or otherwise, is already very much illegal. This law is just fuckmuppetry.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited November 2006
    Feral wrote:
    So now if a self-righteous hippie throws red paint on some pretentious bitch's fur coat, he's not just a smug twat but a terrorist too?

Seriously, though. Sometimes protestors get arrested for really minor violations of the law, like trespassing (because they let one foot touch the soil owned by the business they're protesting) or disturbing the peace (because they were blocking the sidewalk outside of the business) or jaywalking (because they took a few steps into the street to stop blocking the sidewalk outside of the business). So now that their protests are no longer "lawful" does that mean the cops get to haul them in on terrorism charges, too? Dandy!

Awesomer is when you couple it with the newly-limited legal rights of terrorists. I wonder how much red paint is required to hit "enemy combatant" status?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Irond Will wrote:
    Feral wrote:

Awesomer is when you couple it with the newly-limited legal rights of terrorists. I wonder how much red paint is required to hit "enemy combatant" status?

Greenpeace :arrow: Guantanamo!

I wonder how many more generations it's going to be before we're like that planet on that episode of Star Trek where Wesley stumbles into a flower pot and they sentence him to death. (Yes I know that's a slippery slope and no I don't care)

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That's because you're looking at House 4239, and not Senate 3880. The Senate bill is the one the fact sheet you posted cites, so it's the one I posted.
    Tiemler wrote:
    ...it expressly provides for peaceful demonstration and boycotts. Read my post after the one you quoted.

And then goes on to define "violent protests" as ones that cause "economic damage"

Worded in such a way ("harrassment" and "acts") that is easily vague enough to get broad interpetation, even with the explicit restrictions.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited November 2006
    Irond Will wrote:
    Feral wrote:

Read the goddamned legislation

It's called a "terrorism act," but those in violation are not considered terrorists due to this act.
    Goumindong wrote:
    And then goes on to define "violent protests" as ones that cause "economic damage"
    (3) the term `economic damage'--

`(A) means the replacement costs of lost or damaged property or records, the costs of repeating an interrupted or invalidated experiment, the loss of profits, or increased costs, including losses and increased costs resulting from threats, acts or vandalism, property damage, trespass, harassment, or intimidation taken against a person or entity on account of that person's or entity's connection to, relationship with, or transactions with the animal enterprise; but

`(B) does not include any lawful economic disruption (including a lawful boycott) that results from lawful public, governmental, or business reaction to the disclosure of information about an animal enterprise;

Salvation122 on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Incorrect as "harrasment" and other "acts" definitly are. The law is much too easily interperted to grant terrorist status to protestors[not that we dont already have this problem]

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited November 2006
    Goumindong wrote:
    Incorrect as "harrasment" and other "acts" definitly are. The law is much too easily interperted to grant terrorist status to protestors[not that we dont already have this problem]
    Terrorist status is explicitly defined elsewhere in the United States Code. This act does not modify that definition. Kindly stop talking out your ass.

Salvation122 on
    edited November 2006
    It's called a "terrorism act," but those in violation are not considered terrorists due to this act.

Isn't a "terrorist" traditionally somebody who commits a "terrorism act?" How fast and loose can our government play with the English language until we have to throw our hands up and say, "Holy shit, thousands of halfwit freshman college literature students are right! We are turning into an Orwell novel!"

Feral on

edited November 2006
    [It's called a "terrorism act," but those in violation are not considered terrorists due to this act.

Which kind of begs the question of why the fuck would one even mention the word "terrorism" in the bill in the first place?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited November 2006
    Irond Will wrote:
    [It's called a "terrorism act," but those in violation are not considered terrorists due to this act.

Which kind of begs the question of why the fuck would one even mention the word "terrorism" in the bill in the first place?

So they can get it passed, or at least classify those who vote against it as "weak on terrorism?"

Doc on
    edited November 2006
    Feral wrote:

Isn't a "terrorist" traditionally somebody who commits a "terrorism act?" How fast and loose can our government play with the English language until we have to throw our hands up and say, "Holy shit, thousands of halfwit freshman college literature students are right! We are turning into an Orwell novel!"

I think he means that the word terrorism just happens to be in the title. As in it is another bullshit "terrorism" act; it does not appear to say anything relating to the redefinition of terrorism.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    edited November 2006
    Feral wrote:

No, no. The title of the bill is the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act. That is the only place the word "terrorism" is used in the entire text of the bill. The title of a bill is not exactly legal code.

Salvation122 on
    edited November 2006
    Feral wrote:

No, no. The title of the bill is the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act. That is the only place the word "terrorism" is used in the entire text of the bill. The title of a bill is not exactly legal code.

Oh, gotcha.
    Sorry. My bad.
    I still think it's stupid.

Feral on

edited November 2006
    Well that's because it is. This law already exists, they're just changing (expanding) language and increasing sentences; two things I have never observed to be in the interests of the people.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I was under the impression that lumberjacks/millworkers have been fatally injured because of spiked trees.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    edited November 2006
    Feral wrote:
    Oh, gotcha.
    Sorry. My bad.
    I still think it's stupid.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So wait, this bill means that idiots who threaten to kill researchers at labs. destroy emperiments and such are no longer able to and can be prosecuted properly. A law like this has been LONG overdue.

I fail to see the issue here, especially with the wording of this:

If this means these dickheads are no longer to camp outside a researchers house, throw shit (literally) at their family and do other things like that I'm all for this.

I'd like a better explanation of why the above isn't perfectly reasonable beyond OLOLOZ ORWELLIAN SOCIETY!!!!1111oneone please.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited November 2006
    Aegeri wrote:
    If this means these dickheads are no longer to camp outside a researchers house, throw shit (literally) at their family and do other things like that I'm all for this.

I'd like a better explanation of why the above isn't perfectly reasonable beyond OLOLOZ ORWELLIAN SOCIETY!!!!1111oneone please.

Because throwing shit, stalking, and burning down facilities was already illegal. Hell, you could even get them on RICO. This bill appears to be nothing but a way to pin the appelation "Terrorist" onto eco-protestors.

Again, I don't much care for these guys, but the whole "zomg ecoterrorist" thing is just retarded.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png