As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

X3 - Shiny Star Ships in Space

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2009
    no, fuck the leading cursor. the actual cursor that lets you click on things to select them.

Tube on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Son of a bitch.

All my marines landed on a Xenon frigate without getting blown up, made hull contact and breached the hull, fighting their way through robot death machines to take over the core.

Meanwhile, outside the ship, I'm distracted listening to their play by play reports and get sloppy with piloting. My carrier plows into the frigate, everyone dies.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    is this a mmorpg?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Son of a bitch.

All my marines landed on a Xenon frigate without getting blown up, made hull contact and breached the hull, fighting their way through robot death machines to take over the core.

Meanwhile, outside the ship, I'm distracted listening to their play by play reports and get sloppy with piloting. My carrier plows into the frigate, everyone dies.

Those marines are kicking your ass in hell.

Shorty on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This game sounds pretty cool. Are the Gallente any good?

Hoho, see what I did there?

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wait, Terran Conflict takes away the cursor?

Motherfucker I'm ok with not downloading that shit until there's something to fix that.

The Cursor is Jesus

Khavall on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    no, fuck the leading cursor. the actual cursor that lets you click on things to select them.

Having only played TC, and only for a few hours, I can't imagine what you're talking about. I've been too daunted to experiment with changing the controls but one of the few things I noticed right away was that you have a cursor that lets you select other ships to do things like auto-pilot follow, open comm link, etc.

The leading cursor that says "aim here" was also present to begin with.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think tube is talking about the cursor that appears in free-flight when you right-click.

Which is essential

Khavall on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    Wait, Terran Conflict takes away the cursor?

Motherfucker I'm ok with not downloading that shit until there's something to fix that.

The Cursor is Jesus

Cursor is still there in the new control scheme, haven't tried the old one. The new control scheme is a lot like freelancer, so I am actually enjoying it. I have the advantage of never having really played any of the other versions so I don't have to relearn the controls though.

Morkath on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So does the new expansion have the soothing music of the old one?

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I should be trying to find this game

I will try to do this thing

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's on Steam, even in Aus/NZ

L|ama on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have no internet accessible money

I will be able to apply for a credit card in a few days

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Don't some banks there have those cards that are like credit cards but work straight from your bank account? Those are good, I wouldn't trust myself with a credit card.

L|ama on
  • Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Debit cards?

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I asked and they said I needed to be 18 for anything like that

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's in stores too.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    If I see it I'll touch it all over

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So does the new expansion have the soothing music of the old one?

Yes, and new music for the Terrans. All harsh militaristic shit.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited January 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    yes i would like a visible cockpit

feels really weird without one

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    No cockpits but plenty of khaak pits.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    so...is this like a Real Time Strat. game? or...well I don't even know but it looks hella cool.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    SO does the expansion also include graphical cockpits

because I remember having to mod them in for the base X3

they said they couldn't get them to match up correctly in all the views or something, so they didn't put them in.

ie lazy bastards.
    Bucketman wrote: »
    so...is this like a Real Time Strat. game? or...well I don't even know but it looks hella cool.

space sim / quasi empire management

Morkath on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Someone should tell me what I should try to do after I get a reasonably good M4/M3

I always sputter out and stop playing at that point because sandbox games sort of overwhelm me

Ledneh on
  • Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Alright I purchased this game

what the hell do I do?

Where do I start? I need money for better ships, how do I make money? Which character should I start on? Terran Defender?

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm having the same problem as Lockout. I just don't know where to go.

Also FUCK YOU AUTOPILOT FLY IN A STRAIGHT LINE FOR FUCKS SAKE

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2009
    fuck star wars

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    fuck star wars

hey

fuck you too

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2009
    im alright with this

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    blast!

backfired again

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    zimfan wrote: »
    is this like an Rts where you click to move or like Eve movement?

It's sort of... hybrid movement.

You can take direct control of a ship and fly it with mouse, and you can give orders and the ship will automatically fly to certain stations or buoys. You can also take command of individual turrets on the ship, with the ship on autopilot or stopped. You end up using all types of movement in the game... sometimes you fly, sometimes you throw on autopilot and sometimes you take a turret.

You can also give orders to wingmen and other ships, some just simple movement or attacks, but also you can, say, give the "Sector Trader" command with certain components, which has the ship use your money in a specific sector to buy goods with high supply and sell goods with high demand, making you money over time. You can also give simply orders to your turrets, like "Missile Defense", which tries to shoot incoming missiles, or "Attack nearest enemy" or "Defend ship", etc.

Sorry to drag this back, but are we talkig lots of action, like freelancer, or loads of boring confusing stuff like EVE?

Those screenshots do look tempting.

101 on
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's in stores too.

I think I have looked through about four EB's and haven't seen it.

Anyway, I resubbed to Eve :rotate:

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well, it is a giant sandbox, so... whatever the hell you want. If you're stuck, there's several storyline missions around Omicron Lyrae. The corporations also have their own internal missions.

Just try out a bunch of things and see what works best. Work your way up a race's rep standings? Hunt pirates? Be a pirate? Trade? Be a factory owner? Run passengers? Go into the killer for hire business?

Personally I'm running around in a M6 corvette taking hit missions, while my fleet of autonomous traders run off and make me money while blow things to bits. Soon I'll pick up a Boron Orca as a mobile base, as well as letting me perform the factory installation missions, which pay ridiculous amounts. All this will go towards funding one of two things: A Split missile frigate and a self sustaining factory complex that will churn out enough missiles to keep me going forever.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Seriously the most fun I had was taking over Paranid space, destroying every last everything they had and making it my own

FUCK the Paranid

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Where are you going to get more Hyperions to capture though?

They are seriously my favourite M6 class ships. Nearly the fastest of them, plus ridiculous numbers of turrets and energy regeneration AND two hangar bays?

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    101 wrote: »
    zimfan wrote: »
    is this like an Rts where you click to move or like Eve movement?

It's sort of... hybrid movement.

You can take direct control of a ship and fly it with mouse, and you can give orders and the ship will automatically fly to certain stations or buoys. You can also take command of individual turrets on the ship, with the ship on autopilot or stopped. You end up using all types of movement in the game... sometimes you fly, sometimes you throw on autopilot and sometimes you take a turret.

You can also give orders to wingmen and other ships, some just simple movement or attacks, but also you can, say, give the "Sector Trader" command with certain components, which has the ship use your money in a specific sector to buy goods with high supply and sell goods with high demand, making you money over time. You can also give simply orders to your turrets, like "Missile Defense", which tries to shoot incoming missiles, or "Attack nearest enemy" or "Defend ship", etc.

Sorry to drag this back, but are we talkig lots of action, like freelancer, or loads of boring confusing stuff like EVE?

Those screenshots do look tempting.

Depends on how you play it. You can remotely control your entire fleet's actions via a long range map view, and all you're doing is ordering your ships to attack targets, defend others, retreat, etc.

Then you can do it my way where you hop into your carrier ship, order a starjump into the sector and watch your enemies scatter as a massive capital ship smashes its way through the jumpgate and disgorges dozens of fightercraft and hundreds of robotic combat drones, lasers and missiles flying in every direction and you just get caught up in the moment and get down to the fighter bay and launch yourself out into the melee to pick off enemies that your fighters cant handle.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I couldn't find it and I just remembered what I forgot to do today

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hmm, to keep flying my starting Buster or to kit out and fly the Susanowa I just capped

I don't know what the fuck when it comes to reading ship stats or weapon stats and deciding which is quantitatively "better"

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The Susanowa's the M3 right?

Basically there's not much to compare.

Speed - The faster the better. Speeds below 100m/s are really intolerable to me. Of course, you're balancing this against the other factors below.
    Shielding - You want more of this
    Weapon energy regeneration - This too
    Weapon slots - Can it use decent weapons? IREs are great against M5s but useless against anything else.
    Cargo - Again, more the better, but is dependent on your play style. Do you like to keep a shitload of missiles in your bay, or lots of energy cells so you can use your jumpdrive, or just run freight missions?

Synthetic Orange on