As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Half Life 2 mods

turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dadis the best.Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
So I just got Half-Life 2 a few weeks ago for my comp a few weeks ago and I've been looking for some good mods, single player mostly, but the search isn't going so well.
So I figured I would try asking here for some recommendations. What are some of your favorite HL2 mods PA?

X22wmuF.jpg
turtleant on

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Single player you say? Minerva is what you want. It's one of the best single player mods available for HL2, I think.

(Caveat, though: the final version requires Episode One to play.)

Zxerol on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    We have a thread about Steam and Source, it's a good idea to ask there.

For a while, there was a PA community for Zombie Panic: Source, but that has since died down.

Dystopia and Pirates, Vikings and Knights II are two other multiplayer mods I've enjoyed playing in the past and they're both going to be available from Steam at some point in the future.

Peewi on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ok I'm downloading Minerva.
    I'll check back here after some TF2.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    They aren't really mods, but if you enjoyed Half Life 2 don't forget that you can get a free copy of Half Life 2 Deathmatch and Half Life 2: Lost Coast if you own an ATi or nVidia graphics card. The nVidia offer even gets you a free demo version of Portal.

These don't have to be modern cards, either. I logged into my Steam account from my 500MHz Pentium 3 that had a 16MB ATi Rage 128 and registered the games, and then installed them on my laptop.

On a side note, everyone knows about the upcoming Black Mesa, but I guess there is another HL2 mod in production called Operation Black Mesa, which is aimed at converting Opposing Force to the Source Engine, and yet another titled Blue Shift: Source, that predictably is aimed at updating Blue Shift to the Source Engine.

To actually answer your question though, a couple of guys I know tell me that HL2 Capture the Flag is coming along nicely.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Is that the same HL2 CTF from around release? I tried playing it back then, it was pretty cool and I am suprised no mods really came out that use the gravity gun more.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Neotokyo is looking to be one of the most polished multiplayer mods on Source, it should be out relatively soon. There's not too much info on the gameplay, but there's a leveling system in place and the main gametype revolves around stealing an android.
    nt_player_nsf_assault02.jpg

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MOh3xYPrYF8

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I still cant believe that Neo Tokyo is coming out. BUt there it is, in all its updated glory. Gives me hope for Black Mesa.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    is Neo Tokyo going to be free?

if so:

holy balls

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mr.Brick wrote: »
    I still cant believe that Neo Tokyo is coming out. BUt there it is, in all its updated glory. Gives me hope for Black Mesa.

Wait what? Black Mesa is definitely coming out, they even released the trailer for it a few weeks ago.

What I really want out is Natural Selection 2.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    zimfan wrote: »
    is Neo Tokyo going to be free?

if so:

holy balls

No. But all they ask for is your soul.

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hey

Lord_Mordja

nice job obliterating the h-scroll you freaking jerk

Einhander on
  • Options
    TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Did nobody notice the "Single player" in the post?

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Einhander wrote: »
    Hey

Lord_Mordja

nice job obliterating the h-scroll you freaking jerk

A reasonable and measured response.

Especially when it's only 1280 wide good grief.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    smod is amazing once you do a full play through of hl2.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Teyar wrote: »

You didn't notice where it said "singleplayer mostly"?

That means we can reccomend multiplayer mods as well, which helps because the vast majority of HL2 mods are MP (which is kind of a shame).

Einhander on
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mr.Brick wrote: »

Wait what? Black Mesa is definitely coming out, they even released the trailer for it a few weeks ago.

What I really want out is Natural Selection 2

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Einhander wrote: »
    Teyar wrote: »

You didn't notice where it said "singleplayer mostly"?

That means we can reccomend multiplayer mods as well, which helps because the vast majority of HL2 mods are MP (which is kind of a shame).

Yeah, I mean I love multi-player mods as much as the next guy but a really well-made single player mod is wonderful.

Also, I second SMOD. It's really just HL2 with added wacky shit but it's a ton of fun and is hilariously game breaking. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Cool I'll check out SMOD then. I'll try out some of these multipayer ones too, but I spend most of my multiplayer time on Team Fortress so I doubt I'll spend much time with them.

By the by, I have beaten HL2 many times, just on the xbox, which is why I'm so interested in mods.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Minerva, The Citizen, Riot Act, Mystake of Pythagoras and Dear Esther are the pinnacles of single-player HL2 mods, you really ought to try them as I assure you you'll have a blast playing them ;-)

Impersonator on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm downloading the Pirates, Vikings and Knights mod. Hope I can find a server with a decent ping to play on.. It looks fun.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    GibbGibb Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's not too much info on the gameplay, but there's a leveling system in place and the main gametype revolves around stealing an android that has nipples.

Gibb on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Alas.. There are two servers with a ping of less than 400 for me, and neither of them have anyone playing them. Guess I need to find something else to play.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    OK I just finished Minerva and that was awesome. Really liked the escape sequence.
    Hmm, maybe I'll do The Citizen next.
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. :)

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mistake of Pythagoras

It's an HL2 mod with the same characters, etc, but in a parallel universe. It's bizarrely awesome.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Smod, Half life 2 substance, the hidden, and zombie master are all mod I enjoyed. But I'd get garry's mod, I had a freaking blast in that (well, back when it was 9.0)

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I picked up gmod 10 when i got The orange box, and yeah it's pretty fun. Still really don't know what i'm doing though.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Planet Phillip has every HL2 single player mod ever. It's a good place to check.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well, this isn't single player at all, but Empires (www.empiresmod.com) is the bestest mod I've ever played. It has a steep learning curve, but it has the best teamplay and the games tend to be very... fun. I don't really know how to describe it better.

It is obviously inspired by Natural Selection, but it takes the whole RTS/FPS merger much further. Two teams, each has a commander who decides on research, places buildings, gives orders, etc. The two teams vie over resource nodes, and use those resources, make boomtanks and conduct research for better, faster, stronger boomtanks. Its a game with a lot of depth - worth checking out if you have any interest in team games.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Smod is the best.

Make sure to read The Horribly Translated English Readme aswell, since you can mess around with console commands to have a lot of fun. The one that comes with the download is in Moon Language.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    But but but I just started Episode 2! Sigh...

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I've long ago given up on multiplayer, so single-player mods are right up my alley.

AnakinOU on