As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hi! My name is... (or "Why I hate anyone with more than 1 'X' in their name")

• kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    -

kingmetal on
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    apparently shows that you DVR and watch later dont count for ratings since they know you are going to skip the commercials and thats what nets the money.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • X Pr3dat0R XX Pr3dat0R X Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Darmak wrote:
    McPudgy wrote: »
    Then again, I hear T.V. period is hurting for numbers. Does this mean more people are reading. Has education finally come around?

Haha, doubtful. More likely that people are watching their TV shows online or renting movies, etc.
    Or there are simply more options and numbers are down over what they used to be for shows 20 years ago. The problems of using old ways of thinking with new technology and options.

Also the problem of going horribly, horribly off topic...

At one point, I'd wanted to use the name E. Piphany, but I don't know if anybody would get it.

I think, with something like that, more people would get it than you would immediately assume.

X Pr3dat0R X on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    although I have to say... Redhalo, I love the Mitch Hedburg ref toon in your sig. Very swasi-neo-avant-gard...

Thank you.

On a related note, both to your comment and the thread; forum avatars and sigs. Does anyone else find that they get so used to seeing someone's avatar that when they change it it feels like you're talking to a different person? As if it becomes the actual image of them in your mind. When I went to PAX and met up with a bunch of people from here all I could think were things like "Hmm, I thought you'd look more your avatar". I find it very interesting that with this great internet culture that many of us take our image online as seriously as in the real world.

redhalo on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    redhalo wrote: »
    although I have to say... Redhalo, I love the Mitch Hedburg ref toon in your sig. Very swasi-neo-avant-gard...

Thank you.

On a related note, both to your comment and the thread; forum avatars and sigs. Does anyone else find that they get so used to seeing someone's avatar that when they change it it feels like you're talking to a different person? As if it becomes the actual image of them in your mind. When I went to PAX and met up with a bunch of people from here all I could think were things like "Hmm, I thought you'd look more your avatar". I find it very interesting that with this great internet culture that many of us take our image online as seriously as in the real world.

Certainly.

My best example would be mntorankusu

Partially because that is a difficult name to type out, but I've never called him that. I call him Yuki, after the character in his avatar. If he changed his avatar, I don't know what I'd do.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • McPudgyMcPudgy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

At one point, I'd wanted to use the name E. Piphany, but I don't know if anybody would get it.

Yeah... people would get it... if it were E. Nigma, then you might have to worry.

Some things are just a mystery.

McPudgy on
    edited January 2009
    /facepalm

Kor on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kor wrote: »
    /facepalm

I didn't get it...

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited January 2009
    I'm not sure if you're serious, but just in case:

An enigma (from Greek αἴνιγμα, plural enigmas or enigmata) is a puzzle, something mysterious or inexplicable, or a riddle or difficult problem.

Edward Nigma was also the name of the Riddler in one of the crappy batman movies.

Kor on
    edited January 2009
    /facepalm

I didn't get it...

Neither do I.

I was simply making light (sry for being the smart ass) of the dbl entendre within the names.
    (damn it... where's Sir Landshark)

McPudgy on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    /facepalm

I didn't get it...
    The internet has long since broken my sarcasm detector, as well as my irony radar.
    So, on the off hand chance that you're being serious about not getting the joke...
    Enigma

Edward Nygma was also the "real" name of the Riddler from Batman.

edit: God damn, beaten like a redheaded step child by Kor.

see317 on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

An enigma (from Greek αἴνιγμα, plural enigmas or enigmata) is a puzzle, something mysterious or inexplicable, or a riddle or difficult problem.

Edward Nigma was also the name of the Riddler in one of the crappy batman movies.

Who in the what now? Is that some kind of joke(r)?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I came up with my name when I was rolling up a D&D character (yes, he was an elf). I was maybe 13 at the time, but it's a good name and I've NEVER had a problem with someone else using it.

quarthinos on
    edited January 2009

Yeah... people would get it... if it were E. Nigma, then you might have to worry.

E. Nigma. enigma. "some things are just a mystery"

Kor on
    edited January 2009

E. Nigma. enigma. "some things are just a mystery"
    Ah! I've had an E. Piphany!
    It just suddenly came to me...

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited January 2009
    /facepalm

Kor on
    edited January 2009
    quarthinos wrote: »
    I came up with my name when I was rolling up a D&D character (yes, he was an elf). I was maybe 13 at the time, but it's a good name and I've NEVER had a problem with someone else using it.

That's very cool...
    I wish My first were that original.

Tao Do (the way of the way) was my first character.
    Yes he was a monk.

I only wish I had the excuse of youth to account for that faux pas... but wish in one hand, (you know the rest)

The one I liked the most however:
    Xakksthelian

Was the name of my Tiefling Rogue when you had to get stats for them out of the MM. and the Forgotten Realms HB.

McPudgy on
    edited January 2009
    When I played D&D with some friend, after the 4th or 5th time of making characters, apparently I had a trend I was following and I didn't even know it.

Kryllyx
    Quillyx
    Rillyx

I'm sure its pretty obvious. I couldn't believe I hadn't noticed it until my 5th character. Though, admittedly, when we played D&D I was just there painting minis while everyone else was "playing"

Kor on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't even know anymore.

rayofash on
  • BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Back in the early days of my computer gaming, before the time I was finally connected to the net... I used the handle CyberFox when playing games locally on my two machine setup. It was, and still is, a silly name, but I loved it at the time because I could make the C, F, and X, look sweet when I drew it as a logo. I also used FOX for those times I only could use 3 characters, like in arcade machines and Wipeout.

I decided to change it to something else when I joined a computer gaming club at my highschool in late 1997. I was one of those people who thought that "biohazard" would make a great handle and used that for a short time until one of the guys in the club suggested that its too long/too many syllables. So I shortened it to BioHaz and it stuck ever since. Oftentimes tho over VOIP, it gets shortened even more to just "Bio".

Whenever I cannot get just "BioHaz", I'll append a one of a couple things onto it. The numbers 594 at the end of it now were my exhibitor numbers for my science fair project which made it to the regional show and got a 2nd place ribbon. If I dont feel like using that one, I will add E41 onto it which short for my clan's name of [ERROR:41]. Sometimes I will also use [ERROR:BioHaz], obviously based on the clan name.

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
    edited January 2009
    I notice, even now, that no matter how long or short a character's name is, those playing with you are going to shore it down to a one sylable nickname that's easy to remember.

For instance: Xakksthelian became Xakks fast.

McPudgy on
  • Wind and TreeWind and Tree Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    My name is a Paul Muldoon poem.

I like it, it's a change from the typical usernames I drunkenly conjure. kungfujesus, pettytyrant... my standby is damonbee, which is my middle name (damon) with a bee slapped onto it. I think I got inspiration for it years ago from the middle name Tanya Donelly gave her daughter - Grace Bee. I really thought it was a sweet name. If that's not the actual reason, we'll run with it because I like the way it sounds.

Wind, bees and trees.

Wind and Tree on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    We did this in the pax forum a while back!

I am half iroquois, but I take after my german father so I'm white as a ghost and as anglo looking as they come. But my grandfather on the native side named me Yo'Ne'Rah'Donh'Doh which translates to hanging leaf, or the last leaf on its own, something along those lines since there's a few meanings like that.

So I use leaf when it's not taken. VolatileSky is from an obscure scifi short story I really loved (also so obscure I can't remember the name, and googling VolatileSky gets hits of...me) Also means to me I'm as lazy and day dream filled as a blue sky, just with a bit of a vicious streak.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I notice, even now, that no matter how long or short a character's name is, those playing with you are going to shore it down to a one sylable nickname that's easy to remember.

Why I'm mostly known as Drag

Dragkonias on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Why I'm mostly known as Drag

Even my name gets whittled down. I'll get Kris, "K", "X", and "xK". And thats not even counting all the mean things Panny calls me.

I can't really complain tho, as I do it to. Silconstew becomes "Silk", Disruptiveforce becomes "Dforce", Sheep becomes "shithead", etc etc.

I never really thought about it until you guys brought it up, but I do this a lot in real life too. Apparently names are hard.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i always feel chagrinned when people say stuff like 'fucking tk' and whatnot until i realize they are talking about teamkills

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My name isn't all that creative. I'm not very good at remembering names, and when I decided to get back into the online gaming community about two or three years ago, I couldn't remember what I was using ten or eleven years ago. So I just picked a place name from Super Metroid because I could remember it.

Then I just started using variants of Norfair and NorfairDepths, depending on what was taken.

edit: I try not to prejudge, but it's really hard not to consider someone with lots of xXs or numbers or leetspeek or whatever in their username to either be a prepubescent kid, or a twit.

Norfair on
  • Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My name's Matt. I like Quake. I also like Soul Reaver, but the chance of scoring the name Raziel is about ziltch, so I've had to compromise a bit.

The best name I've ever seen was Mr. Spoo, while playing Halo multi-team. The three of us chased him around cheering "Mr. Spoo rocks!" into the headsets and letting him shoot us.

Quake Matt on
  • KKprofitKKprofit Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    redacted

KKprofit on
  • KharmakazyKharmakazy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    And apparently my ban expired in some places.

Kharmakazy on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Holy crap a geoshities link. That is old.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My name isnt too inventive...when I started playing Final Fantasy 11 I wanted to make some stupid name but my brother kept insisting on "not having stupid names since youll be stuck with it" as much as I didnt care, I listened. So whatd I do? I went to the bible. No. Not THAT bible. The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind strategy guide (also known as the bible to us...its big) I opened it up, slapped a finger down. There was a picture of an Elf named Mastrius. He was mine. Afterwards Ive used that name in...everything I can think of. Its NEVER taken and I like the sound of it, plus I get some interesting nicknames. I could be called Master (which I like), Mas(t), (the usual), mysterious (people cant pronounce), or even the oft-used Masturbator (I get that from douchebags...often. Although I love when people do stuff like that cause man do I love to piss off douchebags...and its so easy)

I judge everyone based on name. When I see the Xx --- xX in the names I mute, when I see names like "IbsmOkiNdoPe" I mute. People annoy me. I try not to deal with them.

My favorite name seen so far....thats tough...Ive seen many, but Id have to say SeniorBagofCrap takes that award for me.

Oh and I would like to say, I forgot to mention, what Ill do nowadays is add "9087" to Mastrius (Mastrius9087) because I had an old account on an old xbox that me and my brother would share that was Silvas9087, (our two birth dates put together) Im the 90, and hes the 87, it seemed better that way since 8790 just...doesnt look or feel right to say. I made Mastrius as an xbox live account but when he took his 360 with him to California and I got my own Xbox I couldnt recover my profile for some bullshit reason and decided to add the 9087 to the end of it. Now I just use that all the time.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Heh, I'm still...new... here, but whatever.

The handle I normally use for message boards and the like is "Sangheili" after the Elites in Halo. If that's taken, I'll either add a 91, or shorten it to "Sang," which is what people normally call me anyway. My GT, Twenty0neTwelve, was influenced by my favorite band, Rush. Since "2112" can't be a GT, I spelled it out. People normally call me "21" on XBL.

Sangheili91 on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    I got my name from my Mum.

And I picked my name cos I am. Not that I thought at the time I'd still be posting on PA ...

Pancake wrote: »
    Koalas aren't bears.

Really?

'cause the burr stompin' boots work just fine on 'em.

They are marsupials.

Yorker wrote: »
    SG? EDIT: Oh shit, you guys have a podcast? I've probably seen your sig fucking hundreds of times without clicking on it or even reading the damn thing.

Oh, dear, its savygamer.co.uk even I know about it (and have joined them for a chat or two!)

Willeth wrote: »
    Tell me about it. Someone please tell me how the fuck people think I'm 'Willith'. It's ridiculous.

When I go to conferences, my last name is always spelt wrongly - once I said its spelt P with an E. My name badge had my name, hyphen Withanny!!

redhalo wrote: »
    Does anyone else find that they get so used to seeing someone's avatar that when they change it it feels like you're talking to a different person? As if it becomes the actual image of them in your mind. When I went to PAX and met up with a bunch of people from here all I could think were things like "Hmm, I thought you'd look more your avatar".

I hate it when people change their avatars, it takes me ages to get used to their new one, too.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Yeah, I've seen that too.

My name generally gets whittled down to 'Hats'.

EDIT: Wow, what a terrible TOTP.

The Lord of Hats on
  • GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think my name is pretty self explanatory. Anyone who reads it can tell i chose it be cause I liked the Power Rangers as a child, and if they spent a few moments they might consider that i chose the Green Power Ranger because the colour Green links to my irish routes, while the Dragonzord links to my grandfathers welsh heritage..

The fact he's named Tommy means nothing, though I would change my name to Tommy. I did do karate when I was younger for about 9 years, but I've never seen a massive floating head or had to fight a putty man.. I think you'll agree thats all pretty obvious... oh and the GPR was the best one.

As for my 1st name in a game, I think it was Max Tristan, I don't know why, I guess I thought it was cool? and it was in a game called Grandia on PSX.. I think though I'm not certain..

oh and, i tend to give people 2 - 3 minutes chance to see if they're worth the time going to mute. they might be a twat but sometimes twats are amusing.

I mainly spend most of my online time with the TF2 crowd here at PA, so the majority of names I've seen are variants on the names i usually see.. I do like "Quaz and Wally", thats a cool name "What" is a pretty heh names too.

GreenPowerRanger on
  • da newbda newb New York, New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    1) Special Relevance: So the first time I ever played online games was on the Xbox. I loved Halo 2, and I saved up enough money to buy a system and get it hooked up to the internet. Being a retarded younger version of myself, I made my name Paranoia666. Hardcore, right? Well, I grew up a bit and realized that name was shit, so I wanted to come up with a funny one. My brother had the GT "Slow Aim", and I wanted something reminiscent of that. So I tried many variations of newb. A n00b, the noob, etc. The only one available was da newb, and that's what I am now.

2) Anybody with names that include a lot of numbers or try to sound badass generally denote an idiot. X's may not always signal douchebag.

3) I can't really remember any good names.

da newb on
  • ApplekingAppleking __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    I got my name from my Mum.

Who is an awesome woman, by the way.

sexy woman as well

Appleking on
    Your sig was too tall. -Thanatos
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh hello

Ah yes my name? Well, there was (is, it's still around if you know where to look) this oooolllllllllllllld browser based MMO that I was into (tbh I still am but all I do now is login to talk to the friends I've made, not actually...you know...play it) a long-ass time ago. Anywho I had no idea what name to call myself back then (this was when I was 14-ish).
    I'm a huge musical theatre fan and my two faves at the time were Rent and Bat Boy (The latter is an obscure, extremely NSFW musical about the Weekly World News story that we're probably all familiar with).
    My dumb 14-year-old self decided to combine the two musicals and call myself Rentboy. Disregarding the obvious stupidity of that name (I was 14 okay?!) I played the MMO pretty obsessively. Unfortunately whenever I'd get into a chat channel some chucklefuck would pretend I was a male prostitute. I decided to never ever use the full name again.
    When I decided to sign up for these fora early last year I decided to cut off the "-boy" (all my friends called me Rent anyways). I'm probably going to change my GT to some variation of "Rent" soonish.
    My favorite names I've encountered are both friends of mine on the aforementioned MMO: Creepy McCheese (he posts on the MMO fora with a Mayor McCheese avatar to make it more awesome) and Waiting4Oct (he's a huge baseball fan)

Rent on
  • guarguar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Yeah, I've seen that too.

My name generally gets whittled down to 'Hats'.

EDIT: Wow, what a terrible TOTP.

I'm so used to people referring to me as guar that it throws me off when they call me by anything else.

guar on