Options

Questions, Discussion and Tutorials

• Options
    RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    well cost usually depends on how many classes you take. You get a break at less than full time. Community colleges should be significantly less expensive than a full fledged university, and most credits you take their will transfer to other colleges. You should also get a break on tuition if you live in the same state as the college you plan on attending, and if you still can't swing that student loans are always an option. As long as you don't borrow a horrendous amount payback isn't too big of a deal. Investing in your own future is worth it.

All you need to do is go down to the cc/uni walk into the registrars office and ask for info on how to enroll. cc enrollment usually is fairly easy, uni enrollment can be a tad tedious.

Then once you're enrolled pick up a university schedule and pick out a handful of general classes (they don't have to be art) that sound interesting and start to get a feel for what you'ld like to do.

Don't short change yourself on this. You'll be happier in the long run.

I also have absolutely no problem helping you figure out how to get into a college, sign up for student loans, or picking out classes. Someone did the same thing for me when I started college and I'ld be glad to pay it forward.

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    /quote]Sweet. Ok I did try enrolling into OSU, Oklahoma Stat University, and I had to take an ACT test, which I did pretty well on except I was supposed to go back to retake the reading test. I ended up getting a job that took most of my time and I forgot all about it.

A community college sounds great, just its a little ways away, like an hour and a half.

What do you mean short change?

The student loans thing is what bothers me. I do have about 800 dollars saved up and i'm going to hit 1k by next friday(unless the unexpected happens).

The vocational school I was going to go to had a class that was 2k. My mom is going to help me with the other half so I can pay in full. But if I did take finacial aid, you think I would be able to pay it all with just 1K, plus whatever I make later?

To much info, i'm starting to get paranoid. For studen loans or grants, I'm half mexican. I heard I could get something off of that.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Pious wrote:
    I...shit you got me there. I don't know why exactly i'm interested, just drawing is the only real talent and thing I know how to do. The job I expect to do is help out with designing logos. Really though, I don't know the best way to make money of my art. My brother builds web pages for a living, and he makes logos, but he dosn't know how to draw worth a crap. I am not sure of myself really. I'm working right now to save up for school and thats the only real thing I have a talent in is drawing. I did take graphics and imaging for a year, but I moved and didn't get to finish.

If this is supposed to be like an interview question, I guess I just failed. Guess my real answere is "I have no idea".
    See, most ppl get into advertisig because they think it's about design. In truth, the type of education you get has absolutely nothing to do with design. Instead it's all about market assesment, reading trends, calculating ratings, strategic marketing and things of that matter. It's a bit like styding psychology but aimed towards a sales/markets.

If you're interested mainly in design, I'd suggest checking out design schools where you can minor in advertising, because you'll get no good how-to-build-an-ad class in advertising schools. This kind of thing is learned by observing real ads and applying what you learned in class.

There is an untold reality that nobody speaks about: Nobody wants to hire just a designer. A modern designer has to have many skills not just related to art abilities. If you study advertising, you could use that as a stepping stone to combine with another discipline. Ad and Design go hand in hand. Ad and Psychology is also a good combination, as is Advertising and Marketing, also, Advertising and Mathematics. Diversify!

Don't purposely fall in a rut though, these are the kinds of job where you have to be creative... it doesn't really have a routine or a specific work scheduel. Sometimes I leave work at 9:00pm, that's part of the game...

DMAC also works this kind of job but from the artsy area. Maybe he be of help, too.

I also suggest talking to not just the guidance councelor, but proffessors at the Vocational school. They'll tell you exactly how things are gonna go down if you enroll in those classes.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited December 2006

I knew I had know idea about this shit.

I did read your whole post over and over, I now understand that I need more skills in different field than just drawing. So I guess when I check out a community college I should do what ravenshadow said about choosing a different class that doesn't have to deal with art.

what questions should I ask to the councelor guy.

I did have about 3 paragraphs of bullshit about why i'm completly lost, i'm going to narrow it down to one sentence.

I just gratuaded High School and I have no idea what to do next.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Pious wrote:

The only difference between you and 90% of the people going to a university right now are that the 90% are fooling themselves into thinking they do know what they want to do. There's nothing wrong with being lost right now, and if anything I'd say it's pretty damn weird to know exactly what you want to do fresh out of high school and do it with no changes of heart.

My advice is to take some community college classes and start doing some research into what interests you. Generally speaking getting your gen. ed class out of the way at a community college will be much much cheaper than doing it at a University, and there's no pressure to commit to a degree program right away.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Dugg up a swet link that may be useful to some.

http://www.photon-echoes.com/aurora-meteor_images.htm

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Scosglen wrote:
    Pious wrote:

The only difference between you and 90% of the people going to a university right now are that the 90% are fooling themselves into thinking they do know what they want to do. There's nothing wrong with being lost right now, and if anything I'd say it's pretty damn weird to know exactly what you want to do fresh out of high school and do it with no changes of heart.

My advice is to take some community college classes and start doing some research into what interests you. Generally speaking getting your gen. ed class out of the way at a community college will be much much cheaper than doing it at a University, and there's no pressure to commit to a degree program right away.

Thanks, that cleared some things up for me. Its tuesday now and i'm going to head to TCC, thats a long ways away. The thing is it just snowed down here and there is some terrible ice on the rouds in tulsa. Hope I make it back.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Pious, ask yourself; No matter how outlandish... what kind of activity (not job) would you be willing to do for free, just because you love it that much.

Sometimes ppl are afraid to go with their dreams because they fear it's too imposible. I'll tell you what, if you want to be a Dinosaur Tamer, go out there and find a way to be the best damn Dinosaur Tamer EVER! You'll find a way, it's a matter of listening to yourself.

Don't think of it as perparing for a job, think about preparing for something you enjoy.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Pious wrote:
    Thanks, that cleared some things up for me. Its tuesday now and i'm going to head to TCC, thats a long ways away. The thing is it just snowed down here and there is some terrible ice on the rouds in tulsa. Hope I make it back.

That's what I like to hear. Good man. and good luck. Go talk to the registrar and the financial aid office. They'll probably tell you to fill out a FAFSA but that's fine. You can do it online. And not all financial aid is stuff you have to pay back. A lot of mine were grants.

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Pious wrote:
    I...shit you got me there. I don't know why exactly i'm interested, just drawing is the only real talent and thing I know how to do. The job I expect to do is help out with designing logos. Really though, I don't know the best way to make money of my art. My brother builds web pages for a living, and he makes logos, but he dosn't know how to draw worth a crap. I am not sure of myself really. I'm working right now to save up for school and thats the only real thing I have a talent in is drawing. I did take graphics and imaging for a year, but I moved and didn't get to finish.

If this is supposed to be like an interview question, I guess I just failed. Guess my real answere is "I have no idea".
    See, most ppl get into advertisig because they think it's about design. In truth, the type of education you get has absolutely nothing to do with design. Instead it's all about market assesment, reading trends, calculating ratings, strategic marketing and things of that matter. It's a bit like styding psychology but aimed towards a sales/markets.

If you're interested mainly in design, I'd suggest checking out design schools where you can minor in advertising, because you'll get no good how-to-build-an-ad class in advertising schools. This kind of thing is learned by observing real ads and applying what you learned in class.

There is an untold reality that nobody speaks about: Nobody wants to hire just a designer. A modern designer has to have many skills not just related to art abilities. If you study advertising, you could use that as a stepping stone to combine with another discipline. Ad and Design go hand in hand. Ad and Psychology is also a good combination, as is Advertising and Marketing, also, Advertising and Mathematics. Diversify!

Don't purposely fall in a rut though, these are the kinds of job where you have to be creative... it doesn't really have a routine or a specific work scheduel. Sometimes I leave work at 9:00pm, that's part of the game...

DMAC also works this kind of job but from the artsy area. Maybe he be of help, too.

I also suggest talking to not just the guidance councelor, but proffessors at the Vocational school. They'll tell you exactly how things are gonna go down if you enroll in those classes.

Awesome advice, I'm graduating from University of North Texas myself as an Advertising major and I've got a minor in marketing and spanish. While our advertising program goes over design a little bit it's more about copywriting and trends and the other stuff that MT mentioned. I actually was offered a job at a high end print shop in SF after my internship there. So there's really a ton you can do with advertising. But, again like MT said make sure you love what you do :)

EDit: oh I also did exactly what ravenshadow and MT said, went to a community college for a year and a half and took all sorts of drawing/design and computer classes to see what I was interested in. And in hindsight it helped a ton with me deciding what I wanted to do.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Pious wrote:

That's what I like to hear. Good man. and good luck. Go talk to the registrar and the financial aid office. They'll probably tell you to fill out a FAFSA but that's fine. You can do it online. And not all financial aid is stuff you have to pay back. A lot of mine were grants.

Back. Ok here is what I got. I got an application and a catologe. I tried going to the counslers/advisors but I had to turn in the application and pay a 20 dollar fee, then take my ACT test, and after all that then they can help me. I'm going to wait till I get paid so I can hit my 800 dollar mark and start a budget cause my spending has been screwing me up. I do have a form for fafsa, I just misplaced it, i'll try online.

Your post was kinda late, I headed over there right after my post. Also about that ACT test, I got to study again, I took an ACT test before at OSU but they said I would have to take one here. So I guess it won't be to intimidating since I've taken it before. Its the math that worries me. Last time I took it I was fresh out of highschool and still had some of my math skills, now that its been about 6 months I can't remember a damn thing.

MT, the thing I would do for free? That is a totally different problem of mine I will not dive in right now.

Edit: WTF am I doing at TCC? Why the hell didn't I go to OSU. I already took the ACT there and all I have to do is retake the reading part. I was already part of the way there to enroll. WTF and its closer to...DUUUUUHHHHH!!!! BANGS HEAD ON DESK!!!! I also wont have to pay a damn thing. HAHAHA!!!!

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    ...Advertising major and I've got a minor in marketing and spanish.

Advertising, Marketing and Spanish? I'm really impressed! I was actually gonna suggest studying a second language because it really helps to land jobs... also, the more you know, the more ideas you can generate.

I'm seriously thinking about starting brand new studies in Languages once I finish my M.A. Unfortunately, I can't get a degree in Chinese nor Japanese... I'll have to find some way to do this...

crap... I'll think of something.

Anyone wanna come with me and do Advertising in China? It'll be fun.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So Greatnation suggested that I take a class on figure or life study at a community college, and i'm tempted to take the offer. Since it's my senior year at high school, i've got the extra time to spare thanks to the easy curriculum that I have.

Do you commit per year or semester, and if I were to sign up today, would it last till may just like any other class or is this a different case entirely?

Godfather on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ...Advertising major and I've got a minor in marketing and spanish.

Advertising, Marketing and Spanish? I'm really impressed! I was actually gonna suggest studying a second language because it really helps to land jobs... also, the more you know, the more ideas you can generate.

I'm seriously thinking about starting brand new studies in Languages once I finish my M.A. Unfortunately, I can't get a degree in Chinese nor Japanese... I'll have to find some way to do this...

crap... I'll think of something.

Anyone wanna come with me and do Advertising in China? It'll be fun.

Hehe one of my old teachers is actually Korean and has huge hookups there as far as advertising goes, I'd be down for that because South korea is good stuff. :D

Prospicience on
  • Options
    GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ok quick question for any gimp users.

Ok I finally got my gimp to except input from my stylus but it only gives me one line type/ weight that it will draw. Any tips on how to fix this?

Golem on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Well fellas, I saw an opportunity and I jumped at it.

It seems that there was a Drawing I class available starting next semester at the college from two till five in the afternoon, so I went through hell and back to change make the last minute changes to my schedule (dropping another class that I would have loved to of taken in the process) in exchange for early release so I could get to said class in enough time.

I really hope I made the best decision here.

Godfather on
  • Options
    eminkey2003eminkey2003 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm having a problem with my Wacom Graphire 3 tablet. I'm pretty sure it's the pen, but I thought it was the nib. It was getting worn out, chipped, and "scratching" the tablet, and my cursor was lagging, and eventually, not even responding to the pen (signs of needed replacements, according to wacom.com), so I bought the replacement nibs that they suggested for my tablet. Once I tried the new ones, they seemed to work at first, but after a few minutes I had the same problem again with each of them.
    Also, something weird: the pen is really faulty. When I get the pen to work, and I use it to draw, it only works until I pick it up to start a new line. Then it just gets laggy or unresponsive. The red line worked, but the green line was laggy and broken up:
    tablettroublepr4.jpg
    Anyone know what could be wrong? Please help soon.

eminkey2003 on
    I am Man-yam, part man, and part yam. I love yams and I love mans, and what a yam-man I am.
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Are you sure that it's the pen that's the problem? A lagging cursor seems like it could be more a problem with the computer or the driver or something, than the pen itself...and having a chipped nib, as far as I know, shouldn't affect anything, save for scratching up the plastic sheet on the tablet pretty bad.

I wish I knew more about it so I could help you out :-\

PAINTING QUESTIONS!!

So, I've decided I'm going to paint something for my portfolio, because I realized that I don't really have anything that can show them I have a sense of color theory. (woohoo graphite addiction!)

...and it's come down to oils OR acrylics.

I've worked with both - acrylics, more recently. I want this finished ASAP, but I also want to be able to blend some of the paint, and I want the painting to be really vibrant. I've heard that oils are the best for deep colors - you build up layers and layers of color...I've also heard that acrylics sometimes don't "hold" their color very well (?), or maybe they just don't express the "deepness" of color that is possible with oils.

I know there are things I can buy (or maybe my mother has) that can speed up drying times for oil, and slow down drying times for acrylics, but I'm kinda stuck as to what to do.

Do I need to do a complimentary-color'd underpainting? Will that give me the best colors that really "shout"? I'm also afraid that I'll really screw it up if I use oils, because I haven't used them in so long, and there are SO many methods to paint, half of which I'm completely unfamiliar with. I'm also afraid the oils will dry way too slowly (I like to get a lot done in one sitting and painting wet-in-wet is beyond my comprehension at this time)...but acrylics dry WAY too fast and apparently don't offer the deep color results I'm looking for!

Any suggestions/tips/blablah/etc? Thanks muchly.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Eminenenemikey, I got this message from wacom tech support when my tablet was acting up:
    Could you please plug your USB tablet cable directly into the back of
    the computer. We will need to delete your tablet.dat file. This will
    rebuild the tablet.dat file and the tablet will be set to factory
    defaults.

To delete your tablet.dat file. Follow these instructions.

To do this click on Start -> --> Search -> All Files or folders.
    Type "tablet.dat" in the All or part of the file name field
    Be sure the Look In field has the C: drive Be sure there is a check in
    Include subfolders
    Click on Search
    Delete the file by clicking on it once. It will be highlighted.
    Now press the Delete Key on the keyboard. It is above the arrow keys.
    Confirm the delete of tablet.dat
    Empty your recycle bin
    Restart the computer.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    NaregNareg Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hello all,

Can you please explain to me this wheel...

colorwheel.gif

What do the connections represent? What does "secondary" and "tertiary" imply?

Thankz

Nareg on
    Back off man, I'm a scientist!
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    Check the first post for lots of helpful links.

http://www.worqx.com/color/color_wheel.htm

Grifter on
  • Options
    eminkey2003eminkey2003 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Eminenenemikey, I got this message from wacom tech support when my tablet was acting up:
    Could you please plug your USB tablet cable directly into the back of
    the computer. We will need to delete your tablet.dat file. This will
    rebuild the tablet.dat file and the tablet will be set to factory
    defaults.

To delete your tablet.dat file. Follow these instructions.

To do this click on Start -> --> Search -> All Files or folders.
    Type "tablet.dat" in the All or part of the file name field
    Be sure the Look In field has the C: drive Be sure there is a check in
    Include subfolders
    Click on Search
    Delete the file by clicking on it once. It will be highlighted.
    Now press the Delete Key on the keyboard. It is above the arrow keys.
    Confirm the delete of tablet.dat
    Empty your recycle bin
    Restart the computer.

Ooh, thanks. Except, I use a Mac now. Mmm....Macintosh. So I don't know what the file name would be on this computer. Did that solve the problem for you though? Did you have the same problem? ND: I think the nib pushes something in the pen for it to respond when you touch the tablet (since you can only move the cursor if you have no nib inserted), so I guess a chipped nib could affect that, but I tried it with other nibs so, hmm. I think it was even faulty with no nib inserted. Have to test it again. (working on my friend's tablet). Thanks anyway.

eminkey2003 on
    I am Man-yam, part man, and part yam. I love yams and I love mans, and what a yam-man I am.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    ND: I think the nib pushes something in the pen for it to respond when you touch the tablet (since you can only move the cursor if you have no nib inserted), so I guess a chipped nib could affect that, but I tried it with other nibs so, hmm. I think it was even faulty with no nib inserted.

That is correct. I had had troubles with my pen - the nib was sticking into the pressure sensor thing in the pen, and the only way I fixed it was by pulling the nib out with fingernail clippers a few times, and "flicking" the pen (much like the same way you'd flick a normal pen to get the ink flowing to the tip again), and the pen works fine now. When I was having trouble, I'd get lines that were too long, thing would stay selected, etc.

Anywho. I've got a Mac too, and a tablet, so what I'm *guessing* is that the file is here:

>>Macintosh HD
    >>Library
    >>Preferences
    >>Tablet
    >>com.wacom.tabletpreferences

I have to go to bed now, but I'm *supposing* that that would be the Mac-equivalent file.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I had a problem with my tablet where it wasn't responding as I wanted it to. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure if doing that fixed it because not long after I did those steps I took it to work. I haven't used it at home since.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hey everyone, I am hoping to get some quick help. I'm trying to make a stencil, but I am extremely poor thinking in negative / positive space. I was hoping someone could give me some direction on how to turn this:

Jolly-Roger-the-Pirates-Flag-Giclee-Print-C10274009.jpeg

into a stencil so I can spray paint it onto a case. I think I should cut out anything that's white?

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    MegaMan001 wrote:
    I think I should cut out anything that's white?

Yes.

Grifter on
  • Options
    BongoBongo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    MegaMan001 wrote:
    Hey everyone, I am hoping to get some quick help. I'm trying to make a stencil, but I am extremely poor thinking in negative / positive space. I was hoping someone could give me some direction on how to turn this:

into a stencil so I can spray paint it onto a case. I think I should cut out anything that's white?

Before you cut out the white, you're going to have to bridge the isolated bits of black in the middle (eyes/nose, that type stuff), just draw a thin black line to connect them, and paint over those bits after you spray the stencil with white (or smudge wet paint over it, that's what I usually do).

Bongo on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Bongo wrote:
    MegaMan001 wrote:

Before you cut out the white, you're going to have to bridge the isolated bits of black in the middle (eyes/nose, that type stuff), just draw a thin black line to connect them, and paint over those bits after you spray the stencil with white (or smudge wet paint over it, that's what I usually do).

Awesome! Thanks for the tip.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SmackySmacky Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Does anyone have any advice on drawing noses?
    Especially those of the feminine sort.

Smacky on
    style3,Smacky.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Smacky wrote:

look at pictures of feminine noses and draw them.

seriously.

also look at some of your favorite artists to see how they draw them.

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Smacky wrote:

seriously.

I gave that a whirl, looked at lots of references, tried to get it down but I'm a failure at shading.

I guess a better question would be any advice on how to shade properly?

Smacky on
    style3,Smacky.png
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    practice?

experiment?

wakkawa on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Smacky wrote:
    Smacky wrote:

seriously.

I gave that a whirl, looked at lots of references, tried to get it down but I'm a failure at shading.

How long have you been trying to shade?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Tam wrote:
    Smacky wrote:
    Smacky wrote:

seriously.

How long have you been trying to shade?

Not very long, I finally decided to mess with value and shading maybe two, two and a half weeks ago?
    I kinda get how it works but I make my lines way too dark for it all to work out.

Smacky on
    style3,Smacky.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    MegaMan001 wrote:

Good lord. I used that exact image for a stencil a couple of years ago. Weird.

Just run the black cracks right over to the eyes, add a thin join between the sockets and the nose, and everything else should be straightforward.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Smacky wrote:
    Not very long, I finally decided to mess with value and shading maybe two, two and a half weeks ago?
    I kinda get how it works but I make my lines way too dark for it all to work out.

Can you give us an example somewhere? It may be easier to tell what you're doing wrong with a visual example. Also, if you can give us an example of what type of shading you're *looking* to do, that would help even more.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    RyeRye Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Media control is SO important when you're drawing. Whether it's pencil, charcoal, ink, pastel, ANYTHING. You need to be able to get the lines you want. It's a matter of practice. You can use softer pencils, but that doesn't solve the problem of you not being able to control the medium.

Draw EXTREMELY lightly first time thru. You should barely be able to see your own lines. Then, go thru and pull out specific lines. A soft contour deserves a soft line, a hard one needs a darker crispe line. IF all your lines start to look similar, then you've failed to analyze the figure/subject. This is dynamic edge relationship.

Rye on
  • Options
    OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This seems like the place to ask this, Does anyone know what that Japanese Print in the background of this portrait is called? I saw it during an Art History lecture and it wasnt discussed in detail, but I saw it again when we discussed this image.

zola.jpg

Overlord on
    sigsh.gif
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    is there a good photoshop inking tutorial lying around?

i cant find anything thats helpful on the interwebs...

DeeLock on
  • Options
    (ohms)Crunchy(ohms)Crunchy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    No, but here's Illustrator.

http://www.pensnpixels.com/digink.htm

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
This discussion has been closed.