Options

Questions, Discussion and Tutorials

• Options
    RyeRye Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Overlord wrote:
    This seems like the place to ask this, Does anyone know what that Japanese Print in the background of this portrait is called? I saw it during an Art History lecture and it wasnt discussed in detail, but I saw it again when we discussed this image.

zola.jpg

That's manet's Emil Zola painting. It has the venus urbino and other famous recognizable paintings, but I'm not sure that that one is so much a particular print as it is just a reference to japanese prints in general.

Back then, they used to ship ceramics and fragile things with japanese styled prints like those (the way we use newspaper today) but it's hard to trace the exact artist behind them.

If it IS a specific japanese print, then my instructor didn't know and I've been misinformed. My understanding is that it's the equivalent of an annonymous poem.

Hope that helps (tho I doubt it will)

Rye on
  • Options
    OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I see. From what I remember of the art history teacher talking it was a specific print, but it is nice to have a bit of backstory as to how the prints got over here Thanks for the help though :)

Overlord on
    sigsh.gif
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I have an italic version of Arial Black (true type) on my PC, but for some reason Illustrator doesn't seem able to read it. Anyone know what's going on?

I really don't wanna ask, but I could use some help... If anyone could link me an Illustrator EPS of the capitalized letters CFSE in Arial Black Italic it would totally make my day.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hmm, my arial black has no italic in illustrator either. Just use arial with bold and italic? I know they aren't quite the same .. but what else can you do?

Lly on
  • Options
    paulwindpaulwind Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm thinking about buying a Wacom.

I have a PC, but at some point in the future, I'll probably invest in a nice Mac. I'm a graphic design student, but I also do a lot of work in the more "fine arts" (specifically charcoal).

What should I know about/why should (or shouldn't) i get a/which one should I get/etc. wacom tablets?

paulwind on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    The italic tilt is a bit diffrent on both, also Arial Bold is not as thick as Arial Black. I guess I'll have to trace the letters... damn, I was trying to avoid tracing that S....

:(

I love it when ppl send me low resolution logos they made in Word.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    They cost money. If you have a wide aspect monitor then it pays to have a wide aspect tablet. Don't think that just because it's big that it's good. A 6x8 or 6x11 is probably a good size for you unless you're used to having a huge canvas. It speeds up your design processes considerably since you have more ease of movement. It's worth the investment if you plan to spend a good deal working on graphics.

Grifter on
  • Options
    SupernothingSupernothing Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I would also suggest to stick to the graphire line instead of the pricer intuos. I've used both, and the only difference you notice is the pen tilt function and the side shortcut button on the tablet. Pen tilt is nice and all, but far from necessary, and the graphire will save you a little money to put towards your new mac later (because that's more important). I currently work on a 4x6 graphire and that size is really great. I don't know if the future mac would be a portable or not, but if it is, consider no more than 6x8 as I find it's great to throw my 4x6 into my laptop bag and always have it if need be.

Supernothing on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I would also suggest to stick to the graphire line instead of the pricer intuos. I've used both, and the only difference you notice is the pen tilt function and the side shortcut button on the tablet. Pen tilt is nice and all, but far from necessary, and the graphire will save you a little money to put towards your new mac later (because that's more important). I currently work on a 4x6 graphire and that size is really great. I don't know if the future mac would be a portable or not, but if it is, consider no more than 6x8 as I find it's great to throw my 4x6 into my laptop bag and always have it if need be.

I agree.

I also use a 4x5, which has been awesome.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    The italic tilt is a bit diffrent on both, also Arial Bold is not as thick as Arial Black. I guess I'll have to trace the letters... damn, I was trying to avoid tracing that S....

Ok, I was using Adobe Illustrator CS1.

I installed the ttf you described, and like you said it didn't show up on the fonts list. HOWEVER, since arial black is a default font, I thought it was causing a problem. Sure enough, I selected Arial Black and then changed the font STYLE to italic from regular. It's kinda hidden that way.

If you version of Illustrator still isn't working, I can send you an eps. However, if you installed everything correctly, it should act as a font STYLE rather than a font type.

Rye on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Rye wrote:

Ok, I was using Adobe Illustrator CS1.

I installed the ttf you described, and like you said it didn't show up on the fonts list. HOWEVER, since arial black is a default font, I thought it was causing a problem. Sure enough, I selected Arial Black and then changed the font STYLE to italic from regular. It's kinda hidden that way.

Actually, I already traced the text from the logo I had to re-build in vectors... but I'm curisous about this font style, I'm not quite sure I understand. How do I select a font style as oposed to just setting it on Italic on the drop down menu?

[spoiler:418d3fb047]I hate rebuilding text![/spoiler:418d3fb047]

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I didn't do a good job explaining.

Font Types = Verdana, Helvetica, Tahoma etc.
    Font Styles = Italic, Bold, Underline, Strike-thru, etc.

Some font types don't have any styles. For example, many cursive or script fonts won't have an italic style because it's redundant.

Lets say you install a font called AwesomeFont.ttf

To use it, you'd select the font type "AwesomeFont" from the dropdown. Most of the time, these extra fonts won't have bold/italic or any other styles.

However, because Arial Black is already a default font, installing Arial Black Italic will simply add "Italic" to the font style. Choose it from the dropdown (which I'm guessing didn't work)

Let me know if that works.

Rye on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2006
    I realize the So You Want To Start a Webcomic link is already in the rules thread, but I put it up in the first post here, just in case anyone needs that link in a hurry.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    ViolenceManViolenceMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Now we need to figure out how to direct those people to that link.

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

I agree.

I had boght a "clone" (cheapo Taiwanese brand) 9X14, but its because Ive got huge hands, but I draw just as well as I did with the 4X6 one.

A mate of mine bought a tabletbook (those that flip and can be used as notebooks), although the screen has only 1000-something levels of pressure, theyre chep compared to a Cintiq.

JCM on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    JCM wrote:

I agree.

I had boght a "clone" (cheapo Taiwanese brand) 9X14, but its because Ive got huge hands, but I draw just as well as I did with the 4X6 one.

A mate of mine bought a tabletbook (those that flip and can be used as notebooks), although the screen has only 1000-something levels of pressure, theyre chep compared to a Cintiq.

Yeah, I apparently have really small hands. :P

A friend of mine has a TabletPC, not sure if it's Cintiq or not, though. He let me try it out and I really didn't like it...there's a "space" between the actual pixels of the screen and the "cover" of the screen that you draw on, and so a lot of times when I was trying to put the pen down at a certain point, it would actually be a few millimeters off from where I wanted it. Aggravations! I find the regular USB tablet works just fine though, and is to me, at least) much more accurate than when I was trying to use the TabletPC.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, I apparently have really small hands. :P

A friend of mine has a TabletPC, not sure if it's Cintiq or not, though. He let me try it out and I really didn't like it...there's a "space" between the actual pixels of the screen and the "cover" of the screen that you draw on, and so a lot of times when I was trying to put the pen down at a certain point, it would actually be a few millimeters off from where I wanted it. Aggravations! I find the regular USB tablet works just fine though, and is to me, at least) much more accurate than when I was trying to use the TabletPC.

I use a TabletPC (Toshiba) and I like it. I know what you're talking about too and it just takes a little getting used to. The offset is usually consistent and after a while you don't even notice it.

Combine that with OC and you have a really nice drawing setup.

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I use a TabletPC (Toshiba) and I like it. I know what you're talking about too and it just takes a little getting used to. The offset is usually consistent and after a while you don't even notice it.

Combine that with OC and you have a really nice drawing setup.

Yeah, I'm sure I would've gotten used to it eventually. I just like things to be precise immediately. :P My friend seems to love it, though...then again, he does more 3D animation than illustration. I'm sure it just takes some getting used to.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I have a 6x8 graphire. I have normal hands.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ok, so I'm starting to experiment with what I think is textured brushes but I'm not sure i'm using them correctly. I cannot seem to find any imformation on google for Corel Painter.

But how would I access and use textured brushes with corel?

Very noob question, I know. But the concept of a textured brush still confuses me.

I

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a really good skin tone/shading tutorial. I've checked out tons of them and I understand the basic concept, I'd just like to know what combination of tools/techniques people use to create such smooth shading in Photoshop/Painter. All the combinations I've tried so far have turned out pretty bad so I usually just stick to airbrush and Just add water for blending.

For reference, this is the kind of stuff I am talking about.

http://jayaxer.deviantart.com/gallery/
    http://elpinoy.deviantart.com/gallery/
    http://yumedust.deviantart.com/gallery/

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    the muffinthe muffin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Does anyone know what happened to the PA:AC member Mr. Dave? I really loved his stuff, he just disappeared.

the muffin on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    the muffin wrote:
    Does anyone know what happened to the PA:AC member Mr. Dave? I really loved his stuff, he just disappeared.

He's made a few appearances over at the TSO Forums.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Though this maybe crossing the line (and I apologize if it is), but alot of the old AC member went to TSO, so if having a craving for such works like Mr. Dave and that one guy who hates Peter with a passion, then head on over and join the party.

But be forewarned, one wrong move and its game over for you man, game over.

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    the muffinthe muffin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    What do you mean it's "game over" what exactly are you meaning by saying that?

the muffin on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ViolenceMan has access to amazing lazerbeams, some in the eyes, some elsewhere. If you make a step wrong you WILL be destroyed (i.e. don't defect to TSO).

P.s. are you the muffin from the flight forums? If so please post your stuff here too. I love your (if it is you!) art.

Lly on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    the muffin wrote:
    What do you mean it's "game over" what exactly are you meaning by saying that?

Although Lly's statment is also true (Omega Crotch Beam anyone?), what I meant was that the people over at TSO don't like dumbasses, not to say that you are one, but you want to keep on your guard and try not offend anybody while holding the title "new guy".

But don't worry, I think you'll blend right in with them. :)

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Pssst... guys, how to I change my wacom so that, in photoshop, rather than the pressure sensitivity dictating brush size, it dictates brush opacity?

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Recoil42 wrote:
    Pssst... guys, how to I change my wacom so that, in photoshop, rather than the pressure sensitivity dictating brush size, it dictates brush opacity?

What version doth thou useth?

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Recoil42 wrote:

CS, but currently test driving the CS3 beta, so I need to know for both, if the directions are different.

Oh man is CS3 great, btw, if you haven't tried it yet.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Recoil42 wrote:
    Recoil42 wrote:

CS, but currently test driving the CS3 beta, so I need to know for both, if the directions are different.

It's in your brush settings tab on the top right of the PS interface. I believe that it's in Other Dynamics if I'm not mistaken.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    grifter81 wrote:
    Recoil42 wrote:
    Recoil42 wrote:

It's in your brush settings tab on the top right of the PS interface. I believe that it's in Other Dynamics if I'm not mistaken.

Thankee. :^:

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Recoil42 wrote:

You're testing CS3? Would it be against the rules to like, PM me what some of the new features are? Because I honestly have no idea what they could have added. Then again, I guess I'm not using it for high-end important-career-jobs, so I don't have much imagination concerning it. :)

If not, that's cool too. I'll learn about it eventually, in any case.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Recoil42 wrote:

You're testing CS3? Would it be against the rules to like, PM me what some of the new features are? Because I honestly have no idea what they could have added. Then again, I guess I'm not using it for high-end important-career-jobs, so I don't have much imagination concerning it. :)

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs%5Fphotoshop

I'm downloading right now.

Grifter on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Guys, the interweb isn't allowing me to upload anything to it. Can anyone help?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Tam wrote:
    Guys, the interweb isn't allowing me to upload anything to it. Can anyone help?

Are you behind a firewall that prevents ftp? Are you trying to use ftp or are you trying to upload to a website like photobucket? What kind of error message are you getting if any. We're going to need a little more information and maybe a screenshot of what's happening.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Recoil42 wrote:

There's a public beta out.

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200612/121406Photoshop.html

Two day limited usage if you don't have a CS2 key, unlimited usage if you do.

Download it here:
    https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs%5Fphotoshop

I just wrote a little overview for you, but I gotta do it in multiple posts, because my dorm's internet connection is being weird right now.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Interface:

By far, the biggest change is that the GUI has been totally overhauled, and it's fucking awesome.

Fig1.jpg

better view: http://static.flickr.com/130/322836233_357f82d811_o.png

It's a bit of a hybrid between the flash interface, and the old photoshop interface... the panels are all very flexible, and even detacheable to float around just like in the old photoshop, but you can also 'lock' them onto a 'dock' just like flash has, and so you don't have panels floating all over your work getting in your way. It's just great, I love it, I'm definitely putting the cash down for an educational version this time if it's reasonably priced.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    ....Furthermore, everything's just been tightened up alot... all the panels are much better organized in the dock, the whole program is just alot easier to navigate -- a good example of this, is that the tools panel has now been reduced to one column, instead of two, by hiding the less-used and superfluous tools, and just generally tightening things up a bit -- So it now takes up less space in your workspace, and is even more functional, IMO, because you don't have to go searching through all the tools to find the one you want, because now only the most important ones are displayed by default. The less-important ones are still there, too, you just pop open the panel, and it doubles up into the old familiar toolbox, with everything there. But for just general work, you fold it up into the compact, one column mode.

And it's all kinds of little tightening ups like that. Everything superfluous has just been hidden, popped away in little drawers, while the more important tools have been brought to the forefront and made easier to use. It's just excellent.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Spin-offs, and Spin-ins!

First of all, Imageready is now completely gone, they've folded it up into Photoshop, and Photoshop now carries the full animation and web capabilities of Imageready in it. Literally, that's it. All imageready is now is pretty much a new panel called "animation" inside of Photoshop.

....and on the other side, the file browser, which was always, imo, Photoshop's Achilles heel, the weird little feature which didn't really have a place in a program like Photoshop? Has now been spun off into it's own fully featured program, Adobe Bridge..... which is a surprisingly good move, actually, because it now gives the file browser a use and a purpose -- because unlike windows explorer, it handles RAW, reads EXIF and all kinds of metadata, and does all that.

Recoil42 on
This discussion has been closed.