Options

Questions, Discussion and Tutorials

• Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So it now becomes a totally useful image manager that you can use without booting up photoshop, and I can definitely see it in the future becoming almost like Picasa for professionals... you can definitely tell that they plan to, in the future, add more things like histograms, batch conversions, etc. etc. etc. to make the program a very powerful piece of file management.

Fig8.jpg

Smart Filters!

Ok, this one I honestly haven't delved too much into yet, but they're definitely there -- Adobe has now added Smart Filters, and I can already tell you this is going to be a fucking godsend, because it's something I've been wanting for years -- it's basically layer blending options, but for filters.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    In other words, it's toggleable. You can apply a gaussian blur, and then, maybe two hours later, you decide you don't want it... so what do you do? You just toggle it off, as you would toggle a blending option. They even appear in the layers palette, just like blending options. The only thing is, they seem to require you to convert your layers to something called "objects", of which I haven't quite figured out yet.

Fig9.jpg

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    That's about all I've delved into it so far... here's some stuff I pulled off the net that I was looking at last night while I downloaded the beta (all 337mb... ;) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO4Y6TwKBpQ
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cdharrison/sets/72157594421039773/

Really well written preview/overview:

http://www.photoshopuser.com/cs3/sk_features.html

(again, sorry for doing this in multiple posts, the dorm's internet is fuxxed right now... webpages work fine, but MSN doesn't work, Skype doesn't work, and I can't make any posts on forums more than a hundred or so characters... it's very weird.)

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Holy shit. Eight posts in a row. I mean, why?.

Oh and Grifter, I'm uploading to Photobucket and I'm not behind a firewall and there hasn't been an error message.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Tam wrote:

me wrote:

(again, sorry for doing this in multiple posts, the dorm's internet is fuxxed right now... webpages work fine, but MSN doesn't work, Skype doesn't work, and I can't make any posts on forums more than a hundred or so characters... it's very weird.)

I tried doing it in one, and then splitting it up in two, three, even four posts, and it all timed out... like I said, my internets is fuxxed atm, it just simply won't let me make any posts more than a hundred or so characters.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    CatnipCatCatnipCat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Tam wrote:

Oh and Grifter, I'm uploading to Photobucket and I'm not behind a firewall and there hasn't been an error message.

I don't know about you, but there are times for me when photobucket stalls out and won't upload anything. I always have to use imageshack during these times to get stuff up, in case you need it on the interwebs right away.

CatnipCat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    CatnipCat wrote:
    Tam wrote:

I don't know about you, but there are times for me when photobucket stalls out and won't upload anything. I always have to use imageshack during these times to get stuff up, in case you need it on the interwebs right away.

Okay, something's definitely wrong. It doesn't work with putfile or anything. Hell, I can't even email! I think the government is stopping me. They're afraid of what I know, they're afraid that I could open people's eyes.

EDIT: The only consistency I notice is that on Putfile, Photobucket, and ConceptArt, the status never gets past "sending request to [website]".

it's the government

Tam on
  • Options
    (ohms)Crunchy(ohms)Crunchy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I bought Adobe CS2 Suite for $250 solid, no taxes! That's a good thing about being a student at a College = major discounts!

So I get to use the CS3 Beta forever, which is cool. I'm downloading it now. I'll post my thoughts in a couple days, because I know tomorrow is going to kill me physically. Stupid work.

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    holy crap, freakin' sweet.

[edit]
    The following downloads will install an English-language beta of Photoshop CS3 for Mac OS (OS X 10.4.8 or later)

sad.gif

...and I know my PC couldn't handle it...

SADNESS.

I will have to download it and save it for a future date!!!...though they'll probably be out with CS4 by then!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Holy fuck, smart objects and filters are awesome.

They work a bit differently from what we're used to in Photoshop..... think objects in Flash and their attributes, if you're familiar with Flash. The influence here is definitely from flash, anyways..... but it works very much, interestingly enough........ like the little mode you get when editing graphics in microsoft word. No shit.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Basically, what happens, is that if you want to apply smart filters to something you first have to convert that layer into a smart object. Smart objects are, in effect and reality, seperate files within your PSD file.... to edit them, you just right click on them and hit edit, at which point your screen is isolated into the smart object, and you edit it as if it was its own psd file. once your done, you just exit out of the smart object, and return to your original PSD, and you'll find that your changes have been applied to the object there. It's very natural. I likes it alot.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Okay, layer masks.

Say I have a flattened image with a character in the foreground. If I want to paint objects behind the character, and not disturb his silhouette, how do I finagle this? Be specific with your steps, because I am a total photoshop retard when It comes to anything fancy.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    Scosglen wrote:
    Okay, layer masks.

Say I have a flattened image with a character in the foreground. If I want to paint objects behind the character, and not disturb his silhouette, how do I finagle this? Be specific with your steps, because I am a total photoshop retard when It comes to anything fancy.

If you have a character that you don't want to touch but you have other stuff in a piece that you want to edit then I'd use a quick mask(q) and then I'd paint over him with black I believe. Then I'd hit q again to return to normal mode. The character should be removed from the selection so you won't edit anything but the background.

Grifter on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Arrrrgh! I hate web design! I need to work on a drop down menu similar to the one in this page.

Does anyone know how to do this? I have access to Dreamweaver, Adobe GoLive and ImageReady.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Arrrrgh! I hate web design! I need to work on a drop down menu similar to the one in this page.

Does anyone know how to do this? I have access to Dreamweaver, Adobe GoLive and ImageReady.

That'd be done with PHP and DHTML, mate. Try this out. I haven't used it but it'll probably get you started.

http://www.steo.it/php/dropdownmenu0.6/

Grifter on
  • Options
    Lexx KYSDSLexx KYSDS Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

I haven't looked for it specifically (though I've often wondered how to do it m'self), but a good place to check would be HTML Source. It helped me shittons with CSS and a variety of other inquiries, might have what you're looking for. Dunno.

Lexx KYSDS on
  • Options
    MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    grifter81 wrote:

That'd be done with PHP and DHTML, mate. Try this out. I haven't used it but it'll probably get you started.

You can also try using these websites. I used them when I needed to use one also.

http://www.zbths.k12.il.us/tech/tips/dw/dropdown/index.htm
    http://www.rel7star.dk/tutorial/

Munacra on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Munacra wrote:
    grifter81 wrote:

You can also try using these websites. I used them when I needed to use one also.

http://www.zbths.k12.il.us/tech/tips/dw/dropdown/index.htm
    http://www.rel7star.dk/tutorial/

Holy crap! These links rock!

Except for Grifts... his was pretty much useless.

I kid, I kid! But seriously, I have no idea what to do with that zip file.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Btw, if you can get your hands on Macromedia Fireworks, you can just do a little button click over there by the insert form menu, and it will add it automatically for you.

It's like Image Ready on crack.

I don't know if the code is as lean as if you would do it by hand, but I'm certain you can always come back and do a little housekeeping. That is, if you want to do that. I just let it come as it may, because I hate web design too.

Munacra on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Except for Grifts... his was pretty much useless.

I kid, I kid! But seriously, I have no idea what to do with that zip file.

:cry: I tried!

Grifter on
  • Options
    NatriNatri Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've just seen some youtubes of adam hughes sketching at a con. He also showed the materials he uses.
    Now this may be a stupid question, but here goes : is there much of a difference between a mechanical pencil and a "lead holder" ? I had never heard of the latter before seeing those videos so I was wondering...

Natri on
    www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Natri wrote:
    I've just seen some youtubes of adam hughes sketching at a con. He also showed the materials he uses.
    Now this may be a stupid question, but here goes : is there much of a difference between a mechanical pencil and a "lead holder" ? I had never heard of the latter before seeing those videos so I was wondering...

Mech pencils are those pencils that click and the lead comes out a bit. Lead holders, if I'm not mistaken are like real pencils more since they hold the same sized lead but they are refillable. You have the sharpen the lead as well.

Grifter on
  • Options
    supergluesuperglue Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I found this site, I thought you guys might be interested in it for reference purposes.

http://www.faceresearch.org

superglue on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Tablet problems-

My tablet is acting like im touching the surface when im not. I will make a line, for example, and then raise the stylus. Then i move my stylus, and it contiunes the line where i move it, even though im not touching the the tablet at all.

:(

Greatnation on
  • Options
    SpeedKnightSpeedKnight Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    When that happened to me, it turned out to be a defective pen/stylus. I called Wacom and they sent me a new one.

SpeedKnight on
  • Options
    odiugodiug Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hello,
    There is this really sweet girl who I plan on encouraging in her artistic endeavours this christmas. I planned on doing this with a couple of books and supplies as gifts. If I have learned anything from lurking here, it is the push to draw from life. In looking the references, tutorials, what people say, the links, amazon feed back (with caution), the art the AC chooses to submit, and as much else as possible.

There is finally a list Review list @ amazon. (alphabetical)

Good list, bad list, hell if I know. I am not artistically inclined, nor have I bought/used any of these books. Any advice at all, on which books out of the list to get, or which ones should have been on the list in the first place. Anything, would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to get it down to a $70ish budget (wishing otherwise)

Please & Thank You
    -g

ps, alduar and wakka: just wow.

odiug on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    odiug wrote:
    Hello,
    There is this really sweet girl who I plan on encouraging in her artistic endeavours this christmas. I planned on doing this with a couple of books and supplies as gifts. If I have learned anything from lurking here, it is the push to draw from life. In looking the references, tutorials, what people say, the links, amazon feed back (with caution), the art the AC chooses to submit, and as much else as possible.

There is finally a list Review list @ amazon. (alphabetical)

Good list, bad list, hell if I know. I am not artistically inclined, nor have I bought/used any of these books. Any advice at all, on which books out of the list to get, or which ones should have been on the list in the first place. Anything, would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to get it down to a $70ish budget (wishing otherwise)

Please & Thank You
    -g

ps, alduar and wakka: just wow.

I put a list of books in the original post of this thread. I own all of them and stand by my choices.

Grifter on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm in a little Illustrator pickle. Okay, I want to a letter, that is made up of words. The way I've been trying to do it is:

1. Find the font I like

2. Trace over that font with the pen tool

3. Filling the new object with text and formating it around to fit

Now, it works out, BUT I have to use one of the paragraphing center formats to get this to work. I believe I am using centered justified, but this leaves some huge gaps between words. I've tweaked this to hell form the Text attribute window and can't figure a way to do this. I've tried googling this and have came up with searches that don't approach my problem.

Does anyone know how to fix this, or a better method of approaching this? I'm using Illustrator CS.

Here is an image that explains a bit better what I am trying to do:

questionrr9.jpg

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So I'm looking into painting more, and I have some canvas, and was wondering if there was anything that I'd want to do to the canvas before I start painting on it?

Overlord on
    sigsh.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Overlord wrote:
    So I'm looking into painting more, and I have some canvas, and was wondering if there was anything that I'd want to do to the canvas before I start painting on it?

put down a thin base color. Take like a little black and mix it with water. If you don't do this, you'll probably see white spots. This fixes that problem.

You using acrylics or oils?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Does anyone know how to fix this, or a better method of approaching this? I'm using Illustrator CS.

I get this alot when I make brochures. I usually fix it by playing with the letter spacing (character tracking). Not on the entire document, but on the sentences with the problems. Increasing the letter spacing on a sentence could knock a word to the next line fixing the problem, decreasing it might bring up a word that might otherwise be too big to fit and have it look like you want.

Note that too much spacing makes sentences look funny. I make it a personal rule never to increas/decrease by more than 10 units.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'll be using acrylics.

Overlord on
    sigsh.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Overlord wrote:
    I'll be using acrylics.

I myself like oils better because they don't dry in two seconds, but they both have their positives and negatives.

I'll recommend this if you got the money... Go to an art store and checkout the different mediums they have. You can get mediums that can make your paints heavy body, or have unique textures. I just bought this one medium that makes the paint dry like gravel. It's pretty damn cool.

Also, get a glass pallet. These are easy as hell to make. Go to like Lowe's or Home Depot and tell them to cut you a sheet of glass to your desired size. I suggest something like 18"x16". Then get a slab of cardboard that's 16x14. Tape the glass down to the board and use this as your pallet. You'll also have to get a paint scraper to take the paint off. It comes off smooth and clean.

Try not to make a pallet that's too small because you don't want to have to clean it in the middle of a session.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    the muffinthe muffin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Got my wacom today. 9x12. So what is the best way to become proficient with one of these? Should I just draw shit or should I color stuff?

Any good exercises? But nothing too advanced yet as I am yet to master the fire crotch spinning kick.

the muffin on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So I did a fairly nice inking today with a sharpie pen (usually my stuff is pretty crappy so I don't use nice stuff) and I'm unhappy with "solidity" of the blacks. Unless I went over a ton of times with tiny strokes, it's not that solid.

What should I use for blacking out large areas? I've got some pens that do a decent job of lines, but when I need to black out large areas I don't know what to use. I didn't see anything at the art store today other than sharpies, and some fountain type pens for fine lines, but I didn't know what to look for either.

Virum on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2006
    Muffin: I would try to draw what your used to at first. It doesn't take long for you to adjust to drawing on your wacom, but I would let yourself figure out how to make the strokes your used to making do what you want. After you get some control, tackle what you aren't used to.

edit- virum: ink? http://www.cheapjoes.com/art-supply/YAKF2_4542_bokuju-sumi-ink-oz.asp ?

Iruka on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    What do you apply it with, a paint brush?

Virum on
  • Options
    XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    damn

did anyone put the rest of the loomis books to pdf?

they're available here, but by individual page

http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?cat=1

XAL on
  • Options
    RyeRye Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Virum, sharpie ink, while very permanant, is not very thick. The problem is that it's not opaque enough to apply to larg areas. You need a higher quality ink for large areas. I usuall use a Micron Brush pen. Micron has a smooth and thick application of ink, and I think you'll be satisfied if you try it. You can use Sumi-i Ink if you want, but you'll have to keep it very thick , which makes it expensive.

Usuually you dilute the Ink to make it go further. Sumi is meant for expressive line, like japanese calligraphy, rather than filling voids of black.

*edit* By thick and thin, I'm talking the difference between milk and water. Not paste and water.

Rye on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2006
    I run out of ink in micron pens before I go through a Bokuju ink well, and two brush pens will run you up about the same price (4 bucks either way.) But I also dislike microns. Bokuju ink really isn't that expensive, and I like having more choices in brush sizes.

Im sure their are other brand of ink more geared to drawing, They just sell Bokuju in our store and it works fine.

Iruka on
This discussion has been closed.