Options

Questions, Discussion and Tutorials

• Options
    Penguin-FactoryPenguin-Factory Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I have a question about shading. I've been practising it since seeing the kinds of awesome effects artists like Wakkawa can do by getting smooth, even tones and I was wondering if any type of pencil in particular should be used for this (I have 2B-6B).

Penguin-Factory on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thanks guys.

Virum on
  • Options
    RyeRye Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Iruka wrote:
    I run out of ink in micron pens before I go through a Bokuju ink well, and two brush pens will run you up about the same price (4 bucks either way.) But I also dislike microns. Bokuju ink really isn't that expensive, and I like having more choices in brush sizes.

Im sure their are other brand of ink more geared to drawing, They just sell Bokuju in our store and it works fine.

You have to be judicious about how you get your pens. I buy them on whole sale and at further discounted prices and I have a friend who works at the store, so I pay about 50c a peice.

But without inside connections, if you wait for sales you can pick up microns for about a buck at any art store.

That doesn't change the fact that Bojuku, india ink and sumi ink are really fun to use.

Also, you have to figure in the cost of brushes, maintainence and conveinience. Sometimes on the go I can't bring an ink well, as much as i'd like to. Quill Pens are practically knives, so good luck getting those on a plane if you plan on inking on vacation time. The conivience (spelling) of a brush pen is overlooked a lot. It's nice to just take a cap off and start inking as opposed to setting up and grabbing water/towels/newsprint etc.

If you don't clean your brushes properly, you'll spend a fortune on em.

Good luck with that Virum.

Rye on
  • Options
    ArisaArisa Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It maybe been asked before, it could even be on this page: How the hell do I tell Photoshop CS 1 to let me have more than just the one Undo? I hate going into the History tab just to back up two brush strokes.

Arisa on
  • Options
    RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Arisa wrote:
    It maybe been asked before, it could even be on this page: How the hell do I tell Photoshop CS 1 to let me have more than just the one Undo? I hate going into the History tab just to back up two brush strokes.

in 7 there's too different commands. Undo, which only goes back one level. Then there's 'Step Backward'. Which lets you do as many levels the history does. The shortcut is in the edit menu.

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Is there a difference, other than the amount of steps you can back-track?

Thanks for telling me, though; I never really noticed 'Step Backward.' Now to see if I can re-assign the shortcut so I don't have to apple+option+z it.

Arisa on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Usually it's Ctrl + Alt + Z (step backwrard).

When you undo (ctrl+Z), it will undo and then redo if you press it again. IF you step backward you can go back up the history tree. ALternatively, you can click on your history to quickly go back to a certain command.

For example if you rearranged a bunch of layers and began coloring, you could look at your history tab, look for the steps where you rearranged your layers, click on the step before the layer rearrange and it will flip all the way back.

In that same menu, you can save "Snapshots" of your file. These are not the same as saving the file, but it gives you a couple of places you can return to if you don't like the changes you make. You can save snaspshots before you flatten images and work from there. You can save snapshots before tweaking a layer a lot (hard to undo with the undo command).

Rye on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I know about the history tab, and snapshots; though personally I prefer using Save-As to make full copies of the file. ^_~ I appreciate the time you took, though; and I imagine it'll be helpful to others.

And for Mac users, it is Apple+Option+Z (though I'll give it to you that my Options button do have 'Alt' in tiny subtext at the top).

Thanks for the clarification that, other than the obvious, there aren't any differences. ^_^ I wasn't sure, but I figured it'd be good to ask, lest I post in here again with a really confused question.

Arisa on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Also, if Photoshop is ever running stupid-slow, it may be a good idea to lessen the number of "undo's" you can have in the preferences. I usually keep mine at around 20 or 30, but it all depends on the size of the piece and if my computer is running slowly with it or not. Before I upgraded my RAM I'd have it at around 10 or 15 and that seemed to keep things running in order.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Allocating a bigger scratch disk helps, too. Keeping the number of layers down, as well as having small brush palettes, also helps make low ram happy.

Arisa on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I have a question about shading. I've been practising it since seeing the kinds of awesome effects artists like Wakkawa can do by getting smooth, even tones and I was wondering if any type of pencil in particular should be used for this (I have 2B-6B).

Those pencils are on the softer side - they'll give you darker marks...

Shading smoothly like that mostly takes practice, rather than the type of pencil you use. You can easily do something like that with a simple HB lead, and ONLY an HB lead.

If you want a wider range of values, though, getting some B leads may be a good idea. If you find it hard to make light marks on the paper, some H leads can help with that, as they're a harder lead and make very light marks on the paper.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've been wondering, is there any significant advantage for artists in the Photoshop CS's over good ol' Photoshop 7?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Tam wrote:
    I've been wondering, is there any significant advantage for artists in the Photoshop CS's over good ol' Photoshop 7?

all the good brush sets are for CS1 and up :x
    I had to reverse engineer all the cool brushes from barontieri and ca to work with 7 (exporting brush images and recreating brushes :x :x )

Other than that I know CS1 is a bigger memory hog

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Tam wrote:

I had to reverse engineer all the cool brushes from barontieri and ca to work with 7 (exporting brush images and recreating brushes :x :x )

:shock: Care to share those brushes? Or at least tell me where to get them and how I can do what you did?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I may be taking a stab in the dark, but I'm assuming by the question that you're considering purchasing a new version of PS.

PS is a tool like any other tool for an artist. It's really only as good as the person using it.

Photoshop is at the point where it's no longer making things easier to do, it's simply adding features and rearranging things. An upgrade will mean you get more toys. If you're still having fun with the toys you have, then I see no reason to buy a new version.

Dbout the pencils: H pencils are good for very light roughing in of areas. You shouldn't be "drawing" with H pencils because you don't get the wide range of values you need. Trust me, it's like trying to draw with a rusty nail. You'll ruin the paper if you try to press hard.

Start with 2B when drawing, I'd say. When you use a 6B, use it on top of areas shaded with 2B lead. They look best wehn you layer them as opposed to butting the leads up against each other and leaving a harsh edge.

Rye on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Tam wrote:
    Tam wrote:

:shock: Care to share those brushes? Or at least tell me where to get them and how I can do what you did?

sure
    if grif or someone wants to host them, they could be linked in the OP

in the meantime all I did was use a tool that extracts the images from the brushes then use those images to create new brushes.

I forget the name of the tool I used but if you google "converting photoshop brushes" you'll see a brush viewer they use to convert ps brushes to Gimp brushes. Use that to extract all the brushes images.

Then use those to create new brushes. Google "creating photoshop brushes"

Unfortunately the tool for extracting the images doesn't give me any information on hardness or patterns or such, so I'm sure they aren't exact copies.

I can e-mail them if you have an address that doesn't care about attachment sizes.

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    the muffinthe muffin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Were can you get blue col-erase pencills from? I asked a guy at an art store and he was like dude WTF there's no such thing.

the muffin on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Tam wrote:
    Tam wrote:

sure

in the meantime all I did was use a tool that extracts the images from the brushes then use those images to create new brushes.

I forget the name of the tool I used but if you google "converting photoshop brushes" you'll see a brush viewer they use to convert ps brushes to Gimp brushes. Use that to extract all the brushes images.

Then use those to create new brushes. Google "creating photoshop brushes"

Unfortunately the tool for extracting the images doesn't give me any information on hardness or patterns or such, so I'm sure they aren't exact copies.

I can e-mail them if you have an address that doesn't care about attachment sizes.

I don't believe Gmail gives a shit about size: grenthrash@gmail.com

Tam on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    the muffin wrote:
    Were can you get blue col-erase pencills from? I asked a guy at an art store and he was like dude WTF there's no such thing.

Here's some: http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Biggest-Selection/SAN20028/06Q4/

http://www99.shopping.com/xPO-Sanford-Col-Erase-Pencil-12-Box-Blue~r-1~CLT-INTR~RFR-www.google.com

http://www.pcworld.com/product/pricing/prtprdid,621868-sortby,retailer/pricing.html

I got those from a Google of "Blue Col-Erase Pencils," I hope they're what you're looking for?

Arisa on
  • Options
    XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Tam wrote:
    [quote="TamI don't believe Gmail gives a shit about size: grenthrash@gmail.com

10MB limit i think

www.megaupload.com always works

XAL on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited December 2006

Send em along and I'll hook it up.

Grifter on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm shopping for a new monitor to replace my old CRT.

I've got a 4x5 Graphire tablet, so If I get a widescreen display monitor am I going to have problems?

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Scosglen wrote:

I've got a 4x5 Graphire tablet, so If I get a widescreen display monitor am I going to have problems?

I don't know about anything else, but get a CRT. I have an LCD and it's hard to tell what's what (stuff changes depending on where you look from).

Tam on
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Tam wrote:
    Scosglen wrote:

I don't know about anything else, but get a CRT. I have an LCD and it's hard to tell what's what (stuff changes depending on where you look from).

That really depends on the quality of the LCD monitor. They'll all change at different viewing angles, but higher end ones don't change much unless viewed from extreme angles. I wouldn't go back to a CRT after having this monitor.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    grifter81 wrote:

Grifter, Tam, I e-mailed both brush sets to both of you.

Grif I sent it to your griftart e-mail, Tam I sent it to your gmail. After they were zipped they were a lot smaller than I thought. Only about 6 megs.

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    grifter81 wrote:

Grif I sent it to your griftart e-mail, Tam I sent it to your gmail. After they were zipped they were a lot smaller than I thought. Only about 6 megs.

Cool. Thanks a bunch, Raven.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    grifter81 wrote:

I uploaded and posted a link to them in the OP of this thread.

Grifter on
  • Options
    Penguin-FactoryPenguin-Factory Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I was wondering, is it possible to use watercolours on a pencil-drawn image without having it smudge or blur? Is there some sort of fixative that can be used?

Penguin-Factory on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    How important is it to have multiple types of pencil early on? Right now I've just broken myself of the "whee, random doodle" learning, and am reading "Drawing for Dummies" (in addition to all the advice/tutorials available here and elsewhere on the internet).

Should I stick to HB and it's 3 shades of boringness for now, or should I go ahead and invest in a set of drawing pencils?

MKR on
  • Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You answer your question partly yourself ^^
    I think it's no bad idea to get you at least a soft pencil like 4 or 6B to shade the really darks. Then you probably see what pencils you like to buy next ^^

For myself I use most of the time 2B but have also the others, of which I use 4 and 6B more regularly.

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • Options
    ZephonateZephonate Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    A few simple questions.

1. Anyone know of any programs that can be used to create fonts?
    2. Anyone got any links to tutorials for comic lettering?

EDIT:

3. A few pages back, I read someone saying that you can use "finishing spray" to keep your pencil lines from smudging in your sketchbooks. I've heard from several places that you can use hairspray, and it will do the same thing. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks in advance.

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
    --John Ajvide Lindqvist, Let the Right One In (Page 446).
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Spray Fixative is what you want. It's essentially a very fine, weak adhesive, much like hairspray.

Your Llocal art store ought to have spray fixative. You can even get workable fixative, which isn't as strong, but will allow you to go back into your drawings later.

Rye on
  • Options
    ZephonateZephonate Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I was more wondering if hairspray would do the same thing as the fixative would, seeing as I don't have an art supply store near me. :|

Even if it's fairly weak, that'd work fine. I don't usually go back into my drawings. This would be more to keep the pencil lines in my sketchbook from smudging whilst it's in my backpack.

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
    --John Ajvide Lindqvist, Let the Right One In (Page 446).
  • Options
    ScopsScops Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Arg... Photoshop problems.

I'm attempting to add some fancy white borders to a few photos, but every time, the borders are fading to being transparent towards the center of the image, instead of being solid white. I haven't been fiddling with any settings (at least not recently) so I have no idea what's causing this. Can anyone help?

Scops on
  • Options
    AstoriteAstorite Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Couple ways to do borders I know of:

Select All->Selection->Border and then Delete, but that seems to always do the fade to transparent you're talking about.

Select All->Edit->Stroke and Make sure it's set to inside and whatever color and width you want.

Image->Canvas Size->Change the size so that it has empty space on whatever sides.

Maybe there's some other way, but I dunno.

Astorite on
    Uh.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Here's a link to at least some of the new features in Photoshop CS3

http://www.informit.com/guides/content.asp?g=photoshop&seqNum=316&rl=1

Grifter on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Does anyone have an updated link to Figure Drawing For All It's Worth?

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    That link always seems to break down...

Tam on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    How about a .rar file with all six Loomis books?

http://www.placidchaos.com/Loomis/Andrew%20Loomis.rar

Grifter on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    grifter81 wrote:
    How about a .rar file with all six Loomis books?

http://www.placidchaos.com/Loomis/Andrew%20Loomis.rar

Grifter.... make love to me.

Brolo on
This discussion has been closed.